Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-01-2018, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advice Re 4K Upgrade

Hi all,

I'm looking to move my theater setup into the 4K realm. Currently, I have a BenQ W1070 projector (1080p, obviously). I also have a 4K TV in the other room and a 4K monitor for my PC, but what I am most curious about is experiencing HDR for gaming--people keep saying it rules.

My first thought was to get one of the DLP 4K projectors, as there are a few sub-$2K ones now, or maybe even the Dell short throw laser projector (though that would not work as a simple swap with my current setup). But reading a bunch of reviews, I'm seeing that HDR only fully works its magic on a traditional display, as projectors are not really bright enough to show the enhanced contrast. So, keeping in mind that I'd like to spend under $5K total, what is the best way to go?

1.)Get a 4K projector like the Optomas or BenQ. Any preference between those?

2.)Get a 4K HDR TV, mount behind the projector screen, and use as an alternative to the BenQ W1070, at least until 4K projector technology gets better/more affordable. If I go this route, will a standard 2-HDMI-out receiver like the Onkyo 656 be a good way to go? Or will it default to 1080P if there are two displays plugged in (but only one used at any given time). Is a splitter better?

3.)Get a 4K TV and 4K projector, using the TV for games and the projector for movies. Same question regarding the AVR as above.

3.)Something else?

Really looking forward to your answers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-01-2018, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratzofftoya View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to move my theater setup into the 4K realm. Currently, I have a BenQ W1070 projector (1080p, obviously). I also have a 4K TV in the other room and a 4K monitor for my PC, but what I am most curious about is experiencing HDR for gaming--people keep saying it rules.

My first thought was to get one of the DLP 4K projectors, as there are a few sub-$2K ones now, or maybe even the Dell short throw laser projector (though that would not work as a simple swap with my current setup). But reading a bunch of reviews, I'm seeing that HDR only fully works its magic on a traditional display, as projectors are not really bright enough to show the enhanced contrast. So, keeping in mind that I'd like to spend under $5K total, what is the best way to go?

2.)Get a 4K HDR TV, mount behind the projector screen, and use as an alternative to the BenQ W1070, at least until 4K projector technology gets better/more affordable. If I go this route, will a standard 2-HDMI-out receiver like the Onkyo 656 be a good way to go? Or will it default to 1080P if there are two displays plugged in (but only one used at any given time). Is a splitter better?

3.)Get a 4K TV and 4K projector, using the TV for games and the projector for movies. Same question regarding the AVR as above.

3.)Something else?

At $5000, you can get a sony 285es new and be at budget. I upgraded to a 4k projector solely for gaming and couldn't be happier.

HDR gaming is overrated in my opinion. It's absolutely destroyed by pure 4k gaming at 4k resolution. The sharpness of even 1080p games rendered at 4k is super noticeable as you can see every fine detail. In fact, games at 4k is much more of an improvement than movies at 4k. The thing about games is that you can get very vivid colors without HDR and HDR is really not needed to improve the gaming experience. A game on a big theater screen at 4k in SDR is going to be way better than the same game in HDR on a TV sitting in front of that big screen.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratzofftoya View Post
Hi all,

3.)Something else?

You are right: HDR on projectors leaves a lot to be desired... PJs just do not have the lumens (on a large screen) to come close to HDR on a flat panel.

Well, there is more to 4K than pixels If you have a light controlled room, then you also want excellent contrast + excellent black levels.

You have options, but unfortunately, each has a trade-off.
- DLP shifter fauxK: you give up contrast and black levels. close to true 4K
- JVC e-shift fauxK (RS420/RS440): native contract ~40,000:1, excellent black levels, but not as sharp as true 4K
- Sony 285es: true 4K, but limited bandwidth on the hdmi inputs (13.5 gbs - will not display [email protected] hz with 10-bit color... will down convert to 8-bit color according to this link).

If you look around on the reviews and shootouts, you'll find that from normal seating distances, the pixel count becomes less important.. and picture quality becomes the governing factor. That same review I linked above, sometimes the DLP shifter looked better than the Sony.

And this link (several avs forum members attended), some folks could not pick the true 4K PJ in a blind showing from normal seating diatances.

I went with a JVC e-shift to get my feet wet with 4K. Sure, its not true 4K, but 4K material looks better than 1080p on it (it's not a night and day difference, not like 1080p vs 4080p). But the image is spectacular. full bandwidth inputs. Gaming on 135" is really nice. beats a flat panel any day

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
You are right: HDR on projectors leaves a lot to be desired... PJs just do not have the lumens (on a large screen) to come close to HDR on a flat panel.

Well, there is more to 4K than pixels If you have a light controlled room, then you also want excellent contrast + excellent black levels.

You have options, but unfortunately, each has a trade-off.
- DLP shifter fauxK: you give up contrast and black levels. close to true 4K
- JVC e-shift fauxK (RS420/RS440): native contract ~40,000:1, excellent black levels, but not as sharp as true 4K
- Sony 285es: true 4K, but limited bandwidth on the hdmi inputs (13.5 gbs - will not display [email protected] hz with 10-bit color... will down convert to 8-bit color according to this link).

If you look around on the reviews and shootouts, you'll find that from normal seating distances, the pixel count becomes less important.. and picture quality becomes the governing factor. That same review I linked above, sometimes the DLP shifter looked better than the Sony.

And this link (several avs forum members attended), some folks could not pick the true 4K PJ in a blind showing from normal seating diatances.

I went with a JVC e-shift to get my feet wet with 4K. Sure, its not true 4K, but 4K material looks better than 1080p on it (it's not a night and day difference, not like 1080p vs 4080p). But the image is spectacular. full bandwidth inputs. Gaming on 135" is really nice. beats a flat panel any day

-T
I went with the JVC e-shift as well, I love it. It's not a night and day difference, but I notice the difference with 4k vs 1080p movies. It's enough to me though to well worth it. Also, I looked at true 4k Sony's vs the JVC, I couldn't tell the difference at all in terms of sharpness. It was a no brainer to get JVC once all the other issues were considered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page