Hardwood floors, good or bad? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hardwood floors, good or bad?

I'm in the market to buy a house, and I have some options that have hardwood floors in the living room, which is adjoined to a kitchen that is tile.

I've always been under the impression that for the best sound, you wanted your rooms to be carpeted, to help absorb sound and prevent sound reflection.

Is this thought process correct? If so, what are some good ways to turn a room with hard floors into a room that can have good sound quality from your audio system?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 476
A throw rug that is wide enough to cover the space between your listening position and the front speakers will help considerably.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
A throw rug that is wide enough to cover the space between your listening position and the front speakers will help considerably.
+1. We have hardwood floors, its pretty much unavoidable in most newer homes, and we don't have any issues now that we have a rug down.With that said, carpet of the entire room would be better but considering the location of this space, Im assuming it wont be a dedicated theater.

Last edited by bofa89; 06-25-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For re-sale and cleaning ease the hardwood floors are a must. For us we we wouldn't even consider buying a home with carpet since It's a lot easier to purchase a rug off Amazon than replace the carpet with hardwood. Trying to explain to my wife that carpet makes the overall sound better over her love of a dark wood floor that adds contrast to the walls and designs would never fly. She can also change out the run size/ color/ or shape a lot easier than replacing the carpet.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blais223 View Post
For re-sale and cleaning ease the hardwood floors are a must. For us we we wouldn't even consider buying a home with carpet since It's a lot easier to purchase a rug off Amazon than replace the carpet with hardwood. Trying to explain to my wife that carpet makes the overall sound better over her love of a dark wood floor that adds contrast to the walls and designs would never fly. She can also change out the run size/ color/ or shape a lot easier than replacing the carpet.
Exactly, wouldn't fly for me either. I wouldn't try to force a dedicated theater into a main floor living space, if that's what I had to work with, I would go with wood floors and not worry about it.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
My living room is hard wood floors and tile. It's also a rather large open space. A rug and alot of soft furniture can help. I do have some echo problems but since it's not my main viewing area I can live with it. There will be some compromise, but it's not too bad. If you find a house with a bonus room that could be used for a home theater just carpet that room.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
We had the same thoughts. We made a dedicated theater in the basement with carpet for exactly this reason.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2018, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. This won't be a dedicated home theater. It is just my living room TV and sound system. It sound like, however, it might be a better idea to just put the TV in the living room by itself, then buy another TV and put it in a spare bedroom with the sound system. Maybe I'll look into that.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB553 View Post
Thanks. This won't be a dedicated home theater. It is just my living room TV and sound system. It sound like, however, it might be a better idea to just put the TV in the living room by itself, then buy another TV and put it in a spare bedroom with the sound system. Maybe I'll look into that.

It wont be perfect, but I don't think you need to go away from doing it in your living room at all. Just make sure you put down a nice rug. Most rooms aren't perfect, I have a media area with the back part of the room being concrete, I know it isnt perfect, but it didnt stop me as I understood the compromises of my setup.

I nice rug with some artwork on the walls that can absorb sound, it will be as good or better then a lot of rooms with carpeted floors. I see a lot of theaters with flat walls, nothing on them, think of all the reflections they are getting!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
For my own personal tastes, wood floors can make music sound pretty awesome! In my living room the movies sound pretty decent and I'm just using a pair of in-walls and a sub, but when the sound track to that movie comes on it sounds very good!
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2018, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate it. Guess I'll look into some rugs. Seems most of the houses I've looked at in my area are all hardwood, some of them have hardwood in every room. I guess that's the thing now.

The other thin I noticed is that the rooms are usually not conducive to good home theater placement. Most of the living rooms are very open, meaning while there may be a good wall to put the TV and sound system, the wall behind is open to another room and nowhere to hang surround speakers, or, the walls are offset from each other, or have a fire place, or windows or something that would prevent you from having good placement of your entertainment center in the front, and mounting of surround speakers behind.

Seems with the open floor plans of homes, at least the ones I'm looking at, one of the spare rooms might be the best place to make a mini home theater, because you have, generally a square or rectangle shaped room, with a solid wall up front for the TV and speakers, and a solid wall behind for surround, and solid walls along side to hang side channel speakers.

I may, if ok,it's ok, post pictures of or when I purchase this home to get some ideas for setup.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2018, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Appreciate it. Guess I'll look into some rugs. Seems most of the houses I've looked at in my area are all hardwood, some of them have hardwood in every room. I guess that's the thing now.

The other thin I noticed is that the rooms are usually not conducive to good home theater placement. Most of the living rooms are very open, meaning while there may be a good wall to put the TV and sound system, the wall behind is open to another room and nowhere to hang surround speakers, or, the walls are offset from each other, or have a fire place, or windows or something that would prevent you from having good placement of your entertainment center in the front, and mounting of surround speakers behind.

Seems with the open floor plans of homes, at least the ones I'm looking at, one of the spare rooms might be the best place to make a mini home theater, because you have, generally a square or rectangle shaped room, with a solid wall up front for the TV and speakers, and a solid wall behind for surround, and solid walls along side to hang side channel speakers.

I may, if ok,it's ok, post pictures of or when I purchase this home to get some ideas for setup.

Take a look at my build currently under construction. You could do a lot with a small room. I laid commercial laminate flooring thru the whole house and just ran it into my dedicated small theater (third bedroom). I’m doing acoustic treatments and such that is should not matter with the floor being wood. Like others have said, I might need a rug to help first floor reflections, but that’s easy to fix.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm going to use the Study in our home (still under construction) to do most of my listening there. The walls are insulated, and while it does have hard wood I can lay a rug down that covers the floor along with some heavy black out curtains. Since it's a study it's not near as high on my wife's list for immediate decoration. I'm pretty sure I can set up everything in there to make it a perfect room for listening to music or watching some terrible ninja movie before she realizes what I've done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page