Help with planning placement of 7.2.4 setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Help with planning placement of 7.2.4 setup

I have a new construction going up and I am getting pre-wires put in for a 7.4.2 setup.

I am hoping to get help in deciding how I need to space this out as this is my first going through this process.

The room itself is 21ft by 14ft 9in.

All of my equipment will be purchased new but as of right now this is what I currently have in mind.

Projector : BenQ HT2550 - 120" Screen
Ceiling Speakers : Kplisch DS-160C x4 (pre-installed can change later)
Rears : Flaunce XLBP x4
Fronts : Not Really Sure Yet
Subwoofer : Not Really Sure Yet
Receiver : Marantz 9.2 (will add an amp later)

The goal is to be up and running with 5.2.4 the day I move in and add an amp and the other 2 rears down the road.

From the image.

Couch will be about 10 ft from the front wall with the 120" Screen

Ceiling speakers will be about 7 ft from the front wall with 6 ft between the 1st and 2nd row.

Making them sit 3ft in front and behind the couch and roughly 8ft between then left to right.

Now I am not opposed to spreading this out along the length of the room I just don't know if that would make it feel better or worse.

StampedAurean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
rukus29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manhattan/Long Island, NY
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 147
you want your atmos ideally at a 45 degree vertical angle between ceiling to your ears, and then aligned with your front L/R see here:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html

in summary, calculate the distance between your ears and the ceiling, and assuming your atmos will be flush installed into the ceiling, the distance in front of and behind your seating area that the atmos speakers should be is equal to the distance from ceiling to your ears.

as an example, if your ceiling is 8ft tall and your ears are 3ft (36") up from the ground, that's 5ft from ceiling to ears. thus your front row of atmos speakers should be 5ft ahead of your seating position and the rear row should be 5ft behind your seating position. the left speakers should generally be in-line with your front left speaker and similarly for the 2 right atmos speakers and your right front channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedAurean View Post
I have a new construction going up and I am getting pre-wires put in for a 7.4.2 setup.

I am hoping to get help in deciding how I need to space this out as this is my first going through this process.

The room itself is 21ft by 14ft 9in.

All of my equipment will be purchased new but as of right now this is what I currently have in mind.

Projector : BenQ HT2550 - 120" Screen
Ceiling Speakers : Kplisch DS-160C x4 (pre-installed can change later)
Rears : Flaunce XLBP x4
Fronts : Not Really Sure Yet
Subwoofer : Not Really Sure Yet
Receiver : Marantz 9.2 (will add an amp later)

The goal is to be up and running with 5.2.4 the day I move in and add an amp and the other 2 rears down the road.

From the image.

Couch will be about 10 ft from the front wall with the 120" Screen

Ceiling speakers will be about 7 ft from the front wall with 6 ft between the 1st and 2nd row.

Making them sit 3ft in front and behind the couch and roughly 8ft between then left to right.

Now I am not opposed to spreading this out along the length of the room I just don't know if that would make it feel better or worse.

rukus29 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 06-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Member
 
RayOnTheRun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I don't think even Dolby knows! Their own documentation contradicts itself. On page 8 and 9 it states that it goes inside the surrounds at .5 to .7 x W. Ok. But then the images all over the internet for a 7.1.4 setup (p. 26) shows the rear speakers inside and close to the Atmos speakers?!?!

I did it with the rears inside because that is what my room allowed but now I'm not sure what is the correct standard.

Thanks a lot guys!!
RayOnTheRun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
rukus29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manhattan/Long Island, NY
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayOnTheRun View Post
I don't think even Dolby knows! Their own documentation contradicts itself. On page 8 and 9 it states that it goes inside the surrounds at .5 to .7 x W. Ok. But then the images all over the internet for a 7.1.4 setup (p. 26) shows the rear speakers inside and close to the Atmos speakers?!?!

I did it with the rears inside because that is what my room allowed but now I'm not sure what is the correct standard.

Thanks a lot guys!!
i think a bit depends how far away your surrounds are from the MLP, since that changes the angles that the surrounds present to the MLP - the further the surrounds are from the MLP, the 'wider' they will need to be to get back to the same angles relative to the MLP that surrounds closer to the MLP might present. i think i have always seen atmos specified as being aligned with the fronts though, not specified in relation to the surrounds.
rukus29 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 06-29-2018, 02:31 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 21,770
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3522 Post(s)
Liked: 1639
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
So much depends upon the dispersion characteristics of the Speakers used that any discussion "before" a choice is made is premature.


If you stay with Klispch, you can get models that have Tweeters that have adjustable angles. Other Mfg also have pivoting Woofers as well, and as such are preferred.


Before the choice is made, at best one can only make assumptions based on what would be ideally suited. You stated you already have 4 Klispch installed...and those units do not have any directional adjustment.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
rukus29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manhattan/Long Island, NY
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
So much depends upon the dispersion characteristics of the Speakers used that any discussion "before" a choice is made is premature.


If you stay with Klispch, you can get models that have Tweeters that have adjustable angles. Other Mfg also have pivoting Woofers as well, and as such are preferred.


Before the choice is made, at best one can only make assumptions based on what would be ideally suited. You stated you already have 4 Klispch installed...and those units do not have any directional adjustment.
generally agree with MMAn - but i would qualify that and say i would choose equipment/speakers that allow me to place them at the optimal locations if possible, ie atmos speakers in the ideal locations would require very good dispersion or aimable tweeters per MMan's comments above. choosing non-aimable speakers or narrow dispersion speakers and then being forced to move them significantly outside ideal locations just to deal with those shortfalls is a bit silly if you ask me!
rukus29 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off