Hoveys Media Lounge Build Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoveys Media Lounge Build Thread

I have asked for help on various other threads, and have had lots of people helping me out, but I figured I should start my own thread to keep everything together. I'm currently building out my basement, it has already been framed in and i'm currently working on electric and running all the different types of wiring. I still have a lot to do on the basement, so budget wise, I need to be conscious on what i'm spending money on. Based on my family and friends that will be in the basement, I've decided I want to spend more money on the projector than the speakers\screen. My reasoning for that is that there are roughly 8 feet of windows on in the basement, and i'll have some kind of treatments to block the light, but i know there will be times where it won't be blacked out. Also, for my friends and family, I bet they can see the difference more than hear a difference, if that makes any sense.

So far the basement is framed out as attached below. The biggest obstacle is the soffit that cuts the room width down some. It's about 31" wide at the widest, only 16" by where the screen will be and hangs down about 10" from the ceiling. The space on the left side will house all of my media equipment and servers and that wall is where I will mount an AT screen. The PJ will be about 16-17' back from that "false" wall.

I purchased the Onkyo TX-NR676 ( a bit prematurely) when it was on sale a few weeks ago, so it is capable of doing 7.2 or 5.2.2. I have gotten some really good advice about Polk speakers (265 RT, CS10, 70RT, RC80i) for the setup, but i'm wondering, before I make the purchase, if i should wait a couple weeks for any deal that might pop up since Klipsh is having their sale right now. Also, for my room and setup, should I just stick with 7.1 or go with Atmos at 5.1.2? I think i'm going to wire for a full 7.2.2 but not put everything up just yet. I just don't know what I should start with and would provide the most "wow" factor for my family and friends.

The most I can spend for all speakers\sub would be around the $1K mark, the less I spend on the speakers, the more i'd feel comfortable spending on a PJ (currently thinking about the 5040UB).

I'll post some more pictures as I keep building!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room.png
Views:	107
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	2425902   Click image for larger version

Name:	False Wall.png
Views:	70
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	2425906  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Current pictures of the basement:

I taped out where i thought the screen would be. i think i need to lower it a few inches though. This would be a 60" by about 110"

Last edited by Hossien Oveys; 07-08-2018 at 03:52 PM.
post #3 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am a bit further along than you are at the moment in my build, but I would definitely tell you that you should look at some things when you prewire.

I did the following:

14 gauge 4 conductor wire for a 7.4.4 speaker system.
RCA signal wire to subwoofers in the left and right walls about 18" from the corners
Ethernet to the receiver, bluray player, and projector
USB from receiver to projector
2x HDMI from receiver to projector

I plan to have a bar in my space so I wired in a HDMI, USB, Ethernet, and aux input there so that a guest can input music/video or laptop could be connected to the reciever

I bought my projector early and now has been replaced in the model line up and only has 20 hours on it. Should have waited a bit for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Yea definitely make the projector one of the very last things you buy. Prices/quality change so quickly with displays. Speakers, not so much.

Are you planning on having an AT screen and have the speakers behind that wall in the space before the foundation? Or are you wanting them on the sides/below the screen for LCR? I have Polk speakers as well, I think they make a great speaker for the money.

With your budget and obvious DIY skills, have you thought about buying some DIY speaker kits? Those are probably the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck. Same with the subwoofer. I know you are wanting to stay under $1k for speakers/sub, but you may consider getting your main LCR channels now, possibly a good sub/amp depending on what you end up spending, and then add your surrounds/atmos down the road as money allows.

Having just finished my basement to the point I am using my media area, I can say without a doubt, run speaker wire to every configuration you think you would possibly do down the road. I wish I would have put more wire in for sub locations. I only have along my front wall and 1 corner in the back. I should have wired in the other back wall as well. Might as well wire for 7.x.4 since you are at this stage and doing it yourself. Wire is cheap! I ended up wiring my upstairs living room for 5.1 for 2 different locations before closing up the basement ceiling in case I added speakers in the future and wanted to change the layout. Figured why not... Also, run conduit in the ceiling to your projector in case you need to upgrade cables down the road.

As far as wow factor... I may be different than some. It's not the latest picture format for me (bought a used 1080p projector). It's not the most immersive sound formats... It's the BASS!!! You get some good quality high performance sub(s) down there, that's what people will be talking about when they leave. Take a look at the Dayton Audio Ultimax line or Stereo Integrity 18" subs if you want to go the DIY route. Many others, those are just the ones I have looked into the most. I currently run a single 15" Ultimax on a Crown XLS 1000 amp. My whole basement is open (not dedicated theater) and I am looking to upgrade to at least (2) 18" subs if not 24" subs in the future. Keep that in mind if your basement is all open. Lots of space to pressurize...

Also, I don't know what you are doing for sound dampening for the rest of the house, but I threw R19 insulation in the entire ceiling to help with the noise upstairs. Actually really helped with the mid/high frequencies. Bass, not so much, but something to consider in your budget as well.

Ok, I'm done rambling. Looking forward to seeing the build progress!

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva LPA-1 (Currently Fried) | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Dayton Ultimax 15 | Crown XPS1000
Living Room Duty- DIY Swope TMWW LCR
Currently Building- (3) Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkiii's
post #5 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McNair View Post
I am a bit further along than you are at the moment in my build, but I would definitely tell you that you should look at some things when you prewire.

I did the following:

14 gauge 4 conductor wire for a 7.4.4 speaker system.
RCA signal wire to subwoofers in the left and right walls about 18" from the corners
Ethernet to the receiver, bluray player, and projector
USB from receiver to projector
2x HDMI from receiver to projector

I plan to have a bar in my space so I wired in a HDMI, USB, Ethernet, and aux input there so that a guest can input music/video or laptop could be connected to the reciever

I bought my projector early and now has been replaced in the model line up and only has 20 hours on it. Should have waited a bit for it.
I planned for all of that to the projector but did not think bout adding in a panel in the bar area... i really like that. I also ran conduit to the bedroom wall where a TV will be, the wall across from the bar where a TV will be, as well as the PJ. I'm glad i've waited on the PJ, it's not like i can use it yet anyway!

HOveys Media Lounge Build Thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...ld-thread.html
IMGUR album of build: https://imgur.com/a/4w74FYj
post #6 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blister64 View Post
Yea definitely make the projector one of the very last things you buy. Prices/quality change so quickly with displays. Speakers, not so much.
That's what i was thinking, thanks for confirming that!

Quote:
Are you planning on having an AT screen and have the speakers behind that wall in the space before the foundation? Or are you wanting them on the sides/below the screen for LCR? I have Polk speakers as well, I think they make a great speaker for the money.
I plan on having an AT screen and most likely IN Wall speakers. there isn't a lot of space between the false wall and the foundation wall and i already have a lot servers and stuff back there.

Quote:
With your budget and obvious DIY skills, have you thought about buying some DIY speaker kits? Those are probably the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck. Same with the subwoofer. I know you are wanting to stay under $1k for speakers/sub, but you may consider getting your main LCR channels now, possibly a good sub/amp depending on what you end up spending, and then add your surrounds/atmos down the road as money allows.
I have no experience with speakers, and don't think i have the time and energy to get into that right now, but thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Also, run conduit in the ceiling to your projector in case you need to upgrade cables down the road.
I have conduit everywhere!

Quote:
Also, I don't know what you are doing for sound dampening for the rest of the house, but I threw R19 insulation in the entire ceiling to help with the noise upstairs. Actually really helped with the mid/high frequencies. Bass, not so much, but something to consider in your budget as well.
i'm actually going to be putting R30 compressed bat insulation in the ceilings, so hopefully that will help!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

HOveys Media Lounge Build Thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...ld-thread.html
post #7 of 36 Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossien Oveys View Post
I have no experience with speakers, and don't think i have the time and energy to get into that right now, but thanks for the suggestion

I hear ya on that, they do take some time and patience... I've made my own, but bought the Polk's I am using downstairs now for the same reason, time and energy. I'm still going to be pushy and say you should at least look into doing a diy sub though Much easier than doing tower or bookshelf speakers IMO. And you will get so much more bass for the money...

It sounds like you are off to a really good start and know what you need to be doing. Sub'd for more progress pics
Hossien Oveys likes this.

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva LPA-1 (Currently Fried) | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Dayton Ultimax 15 | Crown XPS1000
post #8 of 36 Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McNair View Post

This was a good idea but then i got to thinking about it, i probably won't be listening to much music, but if i want to, my AVR has a chromecast and all the other wireless stuff built in, so for audio, i wouldn't need this right? I am going to put a connection on the false wall somewhere for HDMI\Power\Network just for someone bringing a console over though.

post #9 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
If you want to stay with the $1k on speakers and go with in-walls check out Monoprice website. They seem to get a good rating. I have not heard them but @blister64 used some in his ceiling for surrounds. You should check out his build thread, He has a lot of videos on what he has done. I just picked up a 10" Klipsch powered sub at half price for my living room. One of two of those should be enough for right now. A lot of the guys here in KC that on the forum have a lot of big subs and power. It's fun to experience, but my family is not into a lot of bass and I find myself lowering the bass at times. It all depends on what you want, but from Monoprice you could get you L/C/R, surrounds and 2 height speakers from $700 to $750 and add a 10" Klipsch R10SW sub for under $200. I agree that you should wire for all set ups. I think you could do 7.x.4 in your room. Also if you are going to want to have music or sound in another room in the basement I would do that as well.

From your taped out screen it looks like a 125" diagonal 16:9 AT screen should pit there and sit back about 11' or so. It looks like your room is around 14' wide and you could could also go with a 153" diagonal 2.4:1 AT screen that is 140"x60". A 122" Diagonal at 16:9 would fit inside that screen and if you get something like the Epson 5040 or 4000 they both have lens memory and zoom lens that can handle that. At Seymour you could order the AT material and build your own screen and masking panels. Check these sites out. The last two I use to figure out what screen could fit in my room.

https://www.monoprice.com/category?c...gaAv2QEALw_wcB

http://www.seymourav.com/default.asp

http://www.displaywars.com/120-inch-...-153-inch-21x9

https://www.screeninnovations.com/to...ze-calculator/

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #10 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
If you want to stay with the $1k on speakers and go with in-walls check out Monoprice website. They seem to get a good rating. I have not heard them but @blister64 used some in his ceiling for surrounds. You should check out his build thread, He has a lot of videos on what he has done. I just picked up a 10" Klipsch powered sub at half price for my living room. One of two of those should be enough for right now. A lot of the guys here in KC that on the forum have a lot of big subs and power. It's fun to experience, but my family is not into a lot of bass and I find myself lowering the bass at times. It all depends on what you want, but from Monoprice you could get you L/C/R, surrounds and 2 height speakers from $700 to $750 and add a 10" Klipsch R10SW sub for under $200. I agree that you should wire for all set ups. I think you could do 7.x.4 in your room. Also if you are going to want to have music or sound in another room in the basement I would do that as well.

From your taped out screen it looks like a 125" diagonal 16:9 AT screen should pit there and sit back about 11' or so. It looks like your room is around 14' wide and you could could also go with a 153" diagonal 2.4:1 AT screen that is 140"x60". A 122" Diagonal at 16:9 would fit inside that screen and if you get something like the Epson 5040 or 4000 they both have lens memory and zoom lens that can handle that. At Seymour you could order the AT material and build your own screen and masking panels. Check these sites out. The last two I use to figure out what screen could fit in my room.

https://www.monoprice.com/category?c...gaAv2QEALw_wcB

http://www.seymourav.com/default.asp

http://www.displaywars.com/120-inch-...-153-inch-21x9

https://www.screeninnovations.com/to...ze-calculator/
Thanks for those screen links, saves me a lot of manual calculation that i had been doing For the speakers, i had actually decided that i could spend a little more and i was looking at the Polk 265RT and 255C-RT for the LCR, Polk 80 f/x RT for surrounds, and RC80i for atmos and maybe rear surrounds(?), and the PSW505 for the sub. My wife doesn't like a lot of bass either but i think she might change her mind after a movie or too (hopefully!) . However, if people think it would work or is "allowed" i'd be interested in using the Polks for the LCR and Sub and going with monoprice sourround\atmos for now. For the Sub, i saw the Klipsch deal and was very interested in that, but the Pok is a 12" and has some really great reviews. Thoughts on that?

Also, based on my AVR, i can only power 7 speakers right now, which 7 would be best for me, i usually use Plex to watch tv\movies and i might watch stuff from Fiber TV, so would a 5.1.2 or 7.1 system be the better setup right now? If i go with 5.1.2, should i do LCR, Sub, Atmos, and the L\R Surround, or the Rear surrounds or do i need to move them all together?

Attached is what @MississippiMan generously helped me with on placement, but since i can't do a full 7.2.2 system right now, what do people recommend?

As for @blister64 videos, they were great, i actually watched them all except for the most recent one and really learned a lot, loved the MU representation in the middle of KS!

For the screen, i actually was swayed more toward 2.35\4 screen, but after i measured it out, i don't think it would fit well, and that's because of the soffit. I would have to lower the screen too far (IMO) to keep it away from the bottom of the soffit (82") and then it wouldn't have a border (which i think might be ok) but the screen might be too low. I'm only going to have one row of seating (sectional of some sort) with a "bar\couch table" behind the couch with some stools. Do you think that would still fit if i stretched it over another 15 or so inches?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hossien Theater.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2427822   Click image for larger version

Name:	False Wall.png
Views:	44
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	2427826  

post #11 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for those screen links, saves me a lot of manual calculation that i had been doing For the speakers, i had actually decided that i could spend a little more and i was looking at the Polk 265RT and 255C-RT for the LCR, Polk 80 f/x RT for surrounds, and RC80i for atmos and maybe rear surrounds(?), and the PSW505 for the sub. My wife doesn't like a lot of bass either but i think she might change her mind after a movie or too (hopefully!) . However, if people think it would work or is "allowed" i'd be interested in using the Polks for the LCR and Sub and going with monoprice sourround\atmos for now. For the Sub, i saw the Klipsch deal and was very interested in that, but the Pok is a 12" and has some really great reviews. Thoughts on that?

Also, based on my AVR, i can only power 7 speakers right now, which 7 would be best for me, i usually use Plex to watch tv\movies and i might watch stuff from Fiber TV, so would a 5.1.2 or 7.1 system be the better setup right now? If i go with 5.1.2, should i do LCR, Sub, Atmos, and the L\R Surround, or the Rear surrounds or do i need to move them all together?

Attached is what @MississippiMan generously helped me with on placement, but since i can't do a full 7.2.2 system right now, what do people recommend?

As for @blister64 videos, they were great, i actually watched them all except for the most recent one and really learned a lot, loved the MU representation in the middle of KS!

For the screen, i actually was swayed more toward 2.35\4 screen, but after i measured it out, i don't think it would fit well, and that's because of the soffit. I would have to lower the screen too far (IMO) to keep it away from the bottom of the soffit (82") and then it wouldn't have a border (which i think might be ok) but the screen might be too low. I'm only going to have one row of seating (sectional of some sort) with a "bar\couch table" behind the couch with some stools. Do you think that would still fit if i stretched it over another 15 or so inches?
Looking at that plan it puts the surrounds in the ceiling? I would rather have them in the wall for more separation from the height speakers. It looks like you could have them even with the couch, but the left surround would just be a little farther away. you should be able to correct for that with your AVR by changing the distances. I like the idea of the couch with a back bar and stools.

As for speakers, the Polk's look good and that sub is a good price as well. I think you will like them. If you are making that area behind the screen a false wall you will need to make openings for the subs and you will need to treat that back wall.

If you can I would wire for both 7.1 and 5.1.2 or 4. I think your room is big enough to do 2 sets of height speakers. You don't have to put them in right now, but it would be nice to have the wire there if ever needed. I am going to wire for 7.1.6 in the theater and wire more multiple subs and wiring for speakers in a bar area next to the theater. If your AVR dose Atmos, I would do 5.1.2 over 7.1. I think you will get more out of it. You ought to go check out Independence Audio's theater rooms. They will demo their Atmos for you to give an idea how it sounds and to set if up. Ask for Janet Young. She doesn't work Thursday's.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking at that plan it puts the surrounds in the ceiling? I would rather have them in the wall for more separation from the height speakers. It looks like you could have them even with the couch, but the left surround would just be a little farther away. you should be able to correct for that with your AVR by changing the distances. I like the idea of the couch with a back bar and stools.

As for speakers, the Polk's look good and that sub is a good price as well. I think you will like them. If you are making that area behind the screen a false wall you will need to make openings for the subs and you will need to treat that back wall.

If you can I would wire for both 7.1 and 5.1.2 or 4. I think your room is big enough to do 2 sets of height speakers. You don't have to put them in right now, but it would be nice to have the wire there if ever needed. I am going to wire for 7.1.6 in the theater and wire more multiple subs and wiring for speakers in a bar area next to the theater. If your AVR dose Atmos, I would do 5.1.2 over 7.1. I think you will get more out of it. You ought to go check out Independence Audio's theater rooms. They will demo their Atmos for you to give an idea how it sounds and to set if up. Ask for Janet Young. She doesn't work Thursday's.
I still need to head over there so i'll try to find time soon to do that. As for putting speakers in the wall, i wanted to do that, but there actually isn't any space for it. on the right side, it's fine, no issue, on the left, the furthest to the edge of the wall\stairs there is a metal post about 10-12 inches from the edge of the wall (where the speaker should go). two problems with moving it over further to the left though, 1, it wont' line up with the other side of the wall (which might be able to be fixed with the AVR) and 2, there is going to be a TV mounted on that wall right above a little "hidey hole" for the kids Adding in some pictures that might help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180524_161616.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	2427848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_213843.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	2427858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_213924.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	2427860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_213934.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	2427862  

post #13 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still need to head over there so i'll try to find time soon to do that. As for putting speakers in the wall, i wanted to do that, but there actually isn't any space for it. on the right side, it's fine, no issue, on the left, the furthest to the edge of the wall\stairs there is a metal post about 10-12 inches from the edge of the wall (where the speaker should go). two problems with moving it over further to the left though, 1, it wont' line up with the other side of the wall (which might be able to be fixed with the AVR) and 2, there is going to be a TV mounted on that wall right above a little "hidey hole" for the kids Adding in some pictures that might help.
I don't kn ow if you have thought of it or have the room for it, but a good place put the in-wall speaker is a column on each side to hide them and maybe add a light in it as well. Just a thought, but if not either on wall speakers or in the ceiling like you thinking about should work. I have surround ceiling speakers in my living room and they work fine. I my dedicated room the sky is the limit there.

post #14 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:

For the screen, i actually was swayed more toward 2.35\4 screen, but after i measured it out, i don't think it would fit well, and that's because of the soffit. I would have to lower the screen too far (IMO)....

Glad they are helping someone out!! And just because I'm in Kansas doesn't mean I have to like it...

As far as screen height, I don't know what you were thinking about seeing yours at, but my ~126" 16:9 is about 2 ft off the ground. Only using my gray wall for now, but will be making a screen soon enough... My projector has an auto lens shift feature that I have programmed to lower any 2.35 content to the bottom of the projected area. So the only "black bars" are at towards the top. This really gets the center of the screen more eye level with our current seating. I feel I am looking up when there is full screen content playing. I have about 6-8 inches to move the 16:9 image up before reaching the ceiling, but I don't think I will be moving it. Another thing is it makes the center channel just a bit closer to the center of the image, so helps slightly with the sound stage. All of that to say, I don't know your exact dimensions, but if you are able to do a bigger scope screen by lowering it, it may not be a bad idea. You can always tape it out too.

Quote:

Ah, I see what your problem is... The poles gotta go. Just rip it out, what's the worst that could happen??

post #15 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I ran most of my wires through an"attic " space, so I just used conduit hangars, but I also ran an extra bank piece of 1.5" conduit with 550 cord, 4 colors, so I can pull other wires later.
post #16 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad they are helping someone out!! And just because I'm in Kansas doesn't mean I have to like it...

As far as screen height, I don't know what you were thinking about seeing yours at, but my ~126" 16:9 is about 2 ft off the ground. Only using my gray wall for now, but will be making a screen soon enough... My projector has an auto lens shift feature that I have programmed to lower any 2.35 content to the bottom of the projected area. So the only "black bars" are at towards the top. This really gets the center of the screen more eye level with our current seating. I feel I am looking up when there is full screen content playing. I have about 6-8 inches to move the 16:9 image up before reaching the ceiling, but I don't think I will be moving it. Another thing is it makes the center channel just a bit closer to the center of the image, so helps slightly with the sound stage. All of that to say, I don't know your exact dimensions, but if you are able to do a bigger scope screen by lowering it, it may not be a bad idea. You can always tape it out too.

Ah, I see what your problem is... The poles gotta go. Just rip it out, what's the worst that could happen??
Funny guy, that is column that can't be moved since it is holding up the around the opening of the stairs. Probably a matching one other side as well.

If a couch is being used with recliners the screen should only need to go be 18" to 20" off the ground so he could go with a 58" to 60" tall screen. So I would think a 158" diagonal 2.35:1 screen would fit. It's 138"X59".
blister64 likes this.

post #17 of 36 Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Funny guy, that is column that can't be moved since it is holding up the around the opening of the stairs. Probably a matching one other side as well.

If a couch is being used with recliners the screen should only need to go be 18" to 20" off the ground so he could go with a 58" to 60" tall screen. So I would think a 158" diagonal 2.35:1 screen would fit. It's 138"X59".
You mean I shouldn't have knocked that column out . but in all reality, 138x59 sounds great, but with the total height under the soffit before drywall and flooring at 82" that would mean the screen would run right up to the edge of the soffit and I can't imagine that would be a good thing right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

post #18 of 36 Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mean I shouldn't have knocked that column out . but in all reality, 138x59 sounds great, but with the total height under the soffit before drywall and flooring at 82" that would mean the screen would run right up to the edge of the soffit and I can't imagine that would be a good thing right?

It might work or maybe a little smaller. So ceiling height to soffit before drywall is 82, ok so two layers of 5/8" drywall is 1.25, carpet and pad could be .5" -.75". That leaves you with 21". I see you are using a lot sectional maybe? Set the bottom of the screen at 16" -17" so that leaves 5"-4" at the top of you have boarder around it.

It could work. Break out the blue painters tape and see what fits.

post #19 of 36 Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

So putting screen on hold for a bit since it's too early for it anyway, but i just realized i need to change out the framing of my "false Wall". for now, i'm going with one sub, in the middle of the screen, and i'd like to hide the sub in the wall. My problem is, most subs will not fit between 16" OC studs, so i need to re do them now. I'm going to be going with the PSW505 so i know the dimensions, but how should i frame out the "cavity" that it sits in? Do i just build an opening at the same size of the sub, and then enclose it? Do i put in on the concrete or build it up a little to match the flooring that will go in the rest of the space?

One other thought that came to me was for my LR Surrounds, instead of doing in ceiling, what if i put in wall speakers, the right one should be fairly easy, but the left one would be spaced out farther. @Ladeback is that what you were talking about? I tried to draft something real quick to show it what i'm trying to do. Would this be better than putting them in the ceiling or would the distance cause too much of a problem?

post #20 of 36 Old 07-15-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So putting screen on hold for a bit since it's too early for it anyway, but i just realized i need to change out the framing of my "false Wall". for now, i'm going with one sub, in the middle of the screen, and i'd like to hide the sub in the wall. My problem is, most subs will not fit between 16" OC studs, so i need to re do them now. I'm going to be going with the PSW505 so i know the dimensions, but how should i frame out the "cavity" that it sits in? Do i just build an opening at the same size of the sub, and then enclose it? Do i put in on the concrete or build it up a little to match the flooring that will go in the rest of the space?

One other thought that came to me was for my LR Surrounds, instead of doing in ceiling, what if i put in wall speakers, the right one should be fairly easy, but the left one would be spaced out farther. @Ladeback is that what you were talking about? I tried to draft something real quick to show it what i'm trying to do. Would this be better than putting them in the ceiling or would the distance cause too much of a problem?

I am not see a drawing, but yes that is what I am talking about. You should be able to use room correction to get to sound good. It is best to have them even, but sometimes it can't be helped. I understand on the Screen.

On the sub that is what I would do. Are you planing on putting something on the floor. If so I would think you would want to do that before putting the sub in. I wasn't going to do anything to my concrete floor, except maybe some kind of waterproofing, than carpet and pad.

post #21 of 36 Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not see a drawing, but yes that is what I am talking about. You should be able to use room correction to get to sound good. It is best to have them even, but sometimes it can't be helped. I understand on the Screen.

On the sub that is what I would do. Are you planing on putting something on the floor. If so I would think you would want to do that before putting the sub in. I wasn't going to do anything to my concrete floor, except maybe some kind of waterproofing, than carpet and pad.
Added the drawing... not sure what happened. So side speakers, at a non ideal placement would be better than a better placed in ceiling speaker? does the fact that there are stairs right next to the far speaker cause any problems?

For the sub, i will have flooring in the "finished" part of the basement, but i wasn't planning on it in the space behind the false wall. so that being the case, should i just plan for that thickness to try to keep it as low as possible, or do i elevate the sub a few inches of the ground on a small platform to get away from that issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new speakers.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	2429024  

post #22 of 36 Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Added the drawing... not sure what happened. So side speakers, at a non ideal placement would be better than a better placed in ceiling speaker? does the fact that there are stairs right next to the far speaker cause any problems?

For the sub, i will have flooring in the "finished" part of the basement, but i wasn't planning on it in the space behind the false wall. so that being the case, should i just plan for that thickness to try to keep it as low as possible, or do i elevate the sub a few inches of the ground on a small platform to get away from that issue?
The stairs being open m at be a problem. What if you extended the wall out where the column was to mount the left surround. I guess if the speakers were in the ceiling they should be close to the side walls so there is some separation to the Atmos speakers. This is probably a good question for the Dolby Atmos thread. People there can give you better advice then me. Check it out below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-version.html

post #23 of 36 Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM

Best thing about a false wall? It doesn't support anything above it! I'd build you're wall like normal then just make any opening like you would for a window wherever you put the sub. It's not bearing any weight so you wouldn't have any issues.

post #24 of 36 Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The stairs being open m at be a problem. What if you extended the wall out where the column was to mount the left surround. I guess if the speakers were in the ceiling they should be close to the side walls so there is some separation to the Atmos speakers. This is probably a good question for the Dolby Atmos thread. People there can give you better advice then me. Check it out below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-version.html
I had thought about extending the wall out, it would be about 3.5 feet and would solve my speaker dilemma, but my wife, and everyone else i talked to said it woudln't look good and would make the space feel more closed off, so i got shot down... multiple times But i'll post in the ATMOS group and see what they think, thanks for the suggestion!

post #25 of 36 Old 07-16-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Best thing about a false wall? It doesn't support anything above it! I'd build you're wall like normal then just make any opening like you would for a window wherever you put the sub. It's not bearing any weight so you wouldn't have any issues.
the wall is built, i'm just going to have to move around a couple studs and or build it out like a window or something. But do i put the sub straight on the concrete floor, which if i do that, the flooring on the finished side will look weird at the opening, or, do i build a platform and raise it a few inches off the ground, would that cause the sub to vibrate more or rattle?

post #26 of 36 Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You may want to ask about the sub being on concrete or not in the Audio section of the forum that deals with subs. You may get a better response there. When I build my room I will be either be placing subs on a stage with sand or just on concrete, pad and carpet.

post #27 of 36 Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

So, it's been a while since I’ve updated, and I wanted to share what all I’ve gotten done. Since I last posted, I got the electrical pretty much done, all lights and outlets roughed in. Ended up being a total of 38 lights (including shop lights and all can lights)! I figured I can always dim them or turn them off, but hard to add any later on! I also started running all the Network and AV cables. I have all the Network lines run, which took a long time, and I’m not looking forward to crimping all of them! I ran HDMI and USB to the PJ and to the two other TVs in the basement (to share one google fiber TV box to save money!). I'm currently working on speaker wire and running wires pretty much in every combination and location you can think of for future proofing!

I also built out where the PJ will hang and starting to get that area setup. Then after thinking about it for a long time, I re-framed my false wall a bit and created a bigger opening for a Center speaker. The one I’m going to go with now doesn't require it, but I figured in the future I would upgrade and need to do it anyway. I also moved my makeshift computer\server rack and opened the space a lot.

Adding some pictures to help show the progress. I’ll add some more with all the lights later on:

A couple other things, I stopped by Independence Audio and spoke with Janet, and she was great! She was able to show me their setups and we discussed my speaker placements and helped convince me to go with all the surrounds being in ceiling, and based on my viewing habits, to go with 7.2 instead of 5.2.2 for now. I just wont watch enough with ATMOS to make it worth it.
I am also working on convincing my wife that it’s ok to have the subs out in the room and I’ll use it to frame the screen a bit. My question with that is how to prep for it. Should I get a dedicated sub cable or just use the same speaker wire? Any thoughts or best practices on how to get the cord to the corners of the room, should I just have a passthrough or a wall plate?
Anyone have any other thoughts on things to add? I’m getting close to not being able to just add things as I think about them, plumbing should be done this week and then it’s time for insulation!

post #28 of 36 Old 08-06-2018, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, it's been a while since I’ve updated, and I wanted to share what all I’ve gotten done. Since I last posted, I got the electrical pretty much done, all lights and outlets roughed in. Ended up being a total of 38 lights (including shop lights and all can lights)! I figured I can always dim them or turn them off, but hard to add any later on! I also started running all the Network and AV cables. I have all the Network lines run, which took a long time, and I’m not looking forward to crimping all of them! I ran HDMI and USB to the PJ and to the two other TVs in the basement (to share one google fiber TV box to save money!). I'm currently working on speaker wire and running wires pretty much in every combination and location you can think of for future proofing!

I also built out where the PJ will hang and starting to get that area setup. Then after thinking about it for a long time, I re-framed my false wall a bit and created a bigger opening for a Center speaker. The one I’m going to go with now doesn't require it, but I figured in the future I would upgrade and need to do it anyway. I also moved my makeshift computer\server rack and opened the space a lot.

Adding some pictures to help show the progress. I’ll add some more with all the lights later on:

A couple other things, I stopped by Independence Audio and spoke with Janet, and she was great! She was able to show me their setups and we discussed my speaker placements and helped convince me to go with all the surrounds being in ceiling, and based on my viewing habits, to go with 7.2 instead of 5.2.2 for now. I just wont watch enough with ATMOS to make it worth it.
I am also working on convincing my wife that it’s ok to have the subs out in the room and I’ll use it to frame the screen a bit. My question with that is how to prep for it. Should I get a dedicated sub cable or just use the same speaker wire? Any thoughts or best practices on how to get the cord to the corners of the room, should I just have a passthrough or a wall plate?
Anyone have any other thoughts on things to add? I’m getting close to not being able to just add things as I think about them, plumbing should be done this week and then it’s time for insulation!
Great progress and glad you got to go to Independence Audio and meet Janet. I have been friends with her since about 1993. She has also given me great advice over the years. I bought a new Yamaha 5.1 AVR about a month or so ago for my living room at a very good price. It's nice to have a good sound back in my living room. Look forward to seeing more updates.

post #29 of 36 Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Nice progress! Wish I would have run the type of conduit you did... Mine was more like large wire loom. Oh well, next time...

I would just run both speaker wire (at least 12 gauge) and an RCA cable to each side where you think you'd put a sub and terminate them with a wall outlet. I only did speaker wire myself as I knew I wouldn't have active subs. Gives you that option though. Shoot, I'd even run some speaker cable to the back of the room in the corners in case you end up wanting them in the back later on. Glad I did so, sounds much better placed in the back of my area.

post #30 of 36 Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice progress! Wish I would have run the type of conduit you did... Mine was more like large wire loom. Oh well, next time...

I would just run both speaker wire (at least 12 gauge) and an RCA cable to each side where you think you'd put a sub and terminate them with a wall outlet. I only did speaker wire myself as I knew I wouldn't have active subs. Gives you that option though. Shoot, I'd even run some speaker cable to the back of the room in the corners in case you end up wanting them in the back later on. Glad I did so, sounds much better placed in the back of my area.
Thanks, after thinking about it some more, I think I'll put the subs just below my screen instead of in the corners so that way I can hide the connections and have easy access to place them wherever I need or change connections.

as for the conduit, using the actual wire conduit worked really well. I first looked for the flexible stuff but it was going to be way more money and hard to find the big size.

Good call on the additional run of speaker cable to the back wall, I just assumed I wouldn't ever use it but I should run a couple back there! my speaker wire bundle is probably 1.5 inch thick in diameter already but what's another couple wires!

blister64 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page