7.2(.4?) In-ceiling Open Concept Floor Plan Challenge - New Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
7.2(.4?) In-ceiling Open Concept Floor Plan Challenge - New Build

After searching this forum I'll ask for help in deciding on equipment to conquer this open concept great room challenge. I'll attach a picture of the floor plan and pre-wire placement for the full In-ceiling build out.

Here is some information to help you help me:

Ceiling is 9.5 ft high with an open concept Floorplan (attached)
Budget is $5k or less... Preferably less since this will only go so far as a true theater.
75" Samsung Qled, sorry no projector in the great room.
Pre-wired in-ceiling 7.2 - after reviewing construction images most of the wire is long enough for me to move placement by up to 5 feet with a small patch in the current drop hole.
Tv is approx 9.5 ft from viewer (I can move couch, but not more an 1 foot or so).
I have a ground plug just behind the couch if for some reason I place the 2nd sub here (wireless?).
Primary use is for house parties (hip hop/ rock)
Ps4 gamming
Netflix and Movies (Dolby Atmos)

I've looked into:
Speakercraft Aim Series 2
Klipsch CDT-5800-C II
Klipsch R-28F FLOORSTANDING SPEAKER
Anthem MRX 720/1120
Onkyo TX-RZ3100

Not sure on how much angle I need per speaker based on distance.. Is 15 degrees enough? (pretty sure it is only enough if I move the placement much closer).
Not sure on receiver or possibility of needing an amp(s)
Not sure on 2 subs final placement
May want to add up to 4 speakers on ground if it can fit initial budget. (7.2.4?)
Home, not an apt

Some setups have a combination of focus such as effects or treble with a focus on clear voice audio. My fear is two fold, ensuring atmos is setup so that I'm not compromising the frequency range or building a full cinema experience that lacks when I throw a party and put all speakers into music mode. (Music is important here, we have professional lighting, smoke, calibrated with DMX, we take this seriously)

Any advice, caution, anything helps. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	2429644  

Last edited by cyberoptics; 07-17-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So an update...

I went with:

• Martin Logan ESL X for the Left and Right
  • Martin Logan 50X for the Center (debating upgrading this to ML ESL C to mirror the LRs)

So I'm presently at a 3.0 setup. In the next week I'd like to add my Rear Left and Right, but these must be ceiling speakers that ideally aim the woofer and tweeters. My floorplan is attached in the OP.

I need help finalizing on these two ceiling speakers that will be 90% utilized for theatre, and 10% of the time for music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
atmos dts:x dts-x 7.2.4 , In Ceiling Speakers , living room , new build , open concept theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page