Hiding rear of wall mount TV from side view - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3397 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
Assuming this is an interior wall, do you mean glue the back of the plywood to the back surface of the drywall for additional strength?

Yes........essentially the Plywood becomes one with the rear wall. House blows down....you'd still find that section stuck together.
Exterior Wall with Plywood or Black Board? Use Construction adhesive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I'm not sure I would trust my tv being mounted with 3/4" long lag bolts into plywood.

Well you wouldn't use Lag Bolts. Since virtually every such mount has multiple "Slots" and Holes so one can place screws were studs are, simply using 8 Coarse Thread # 10 Square Drive Screws w/Washers. It ain't a'goin' nowhere.

Well not quite that big.......

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 08-09-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-22-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I would mount the TV flush with the drywall, so the mount isn't visible.

Sure, you can add a picture frame around any TV. GIS for examples - https://www.google.com/search?q=%22t...w=1745&bih=970
I'm just starting a remodel and planning to do something similar. Since I'm already bring power, and AV up to the tv, why not also frame out the studs such that I can recess the mount into the wall....haven't exactly sorted how it looks in a nice diagram to share yet, but I'm thinking cutting two studs and giving them a header as you would for a window. Then run a couple 2x4s sideways but rotated so they are only 2 inch deep instead of occupying the full 4 inch. Finally drywall it all in. This should give me a 2" deep recess that the mount can hide in, allowing the tv to be pushed basically flush to the wall.
post #33 of 38 Old 08-22-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I do indeed!

You are welcome. I strongly suggest you consider the example seen in the diagram below, with the recess encompassing the existing perimeter of the Mount's Base + 4" extra Top & Sides, and the Bottom cut low enough to include cutting out the HDMI/110v Inlet so to let the Cables simply pass up into the Recessed Opening.

If you assemble the top first, the Bottom can slip into place and be screwed down. Using Wood Glue on all joined edges during final assembly adds more strength that just screws alone, especially if you Glue the back of the Plywood Plate against the rear of the Recess. It would support all the weight you'd ever put to it.

The open-hole HDMI / 110v Pass-Through can allow you to feed excess cordage down into the Wall, though I also suggest the use of Velcro Cable-Tie Management Strips

Short of me traipsin' down around the Corner to Flor-ridia and knocking that out, I think you can get'ter dun following the diagram and using some locally available work ethic.

Good Luck!
Great diagram, this is sort of what I was thinking of doing. Do you think the 3/4" plywood will hold a 85" tv? That definitely would give me more mounting space for the mount than using the 2x2" or 2x4".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Great diagram, this is sort of what I was thinking of doing. Do you think the 3/4" plywood will hold a 85" tv? That definitely would give me more mounting space for the mount than using the 2x2" or 2x4".

Besides Gluing the Ply to the Drywall, adding a perimeter Trim Ring of 1x2 also glued on 2 sides to the Plywood and Side Studs would give you at least 200lbs sheer Strength. That, and the Bottom Horizontal also adds to the vertical resistance to sheer.

Of course, with a 85" TV you can make the Opening bigger and add Vertically overlaid Lumber across the Plywood for even more strength.

You'll be OK.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #35 of 38 Old 08-23-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
If I were doing it, I would use lag bolts or T-nuts rather than screws to attach the mount to the 3/4 plywood. No chance of them stripping out of the wood.
post #36 of 38 Old 08-23-2018, 06:11 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
If I were doing it, I would use lag bolts or T-nuts rather than screws to attach the mount to the 3/4 plywood. No chance of them stripping out of the wood.

That would be a good choice. Round Head Lags coming through from the rear, tightened so that the Head is Flush to the rear of the Ply.

post #37 of 38 Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Continuity in any design is important less it seem to be off balance or incomplete.

Such single side shield construction will certainly serve to hide things, but really, if having something look right is even at all important, just putting up a "Blinder" on one side is a jury-rigged solution. The issues here are not new...they are faced by a myriad of people everyday. When you pull out and forward and Tilt / Turn the TV....seeing the Mount /Wiring is just something you must deal with....no magical solution exists to suddenly make the Hardware / Wiring disappear. Yes...there are "Neat-Up" solutions that will work, or in the least help. but it takes decisive planning and execution to make a Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear.

If you choose to leave the TV in the Tilted / Pulled out position all the time, then you gotta take the Thorns with the Rose. I can't imagine having a TV is such a location where I didn't make it possible for the TV assembly to settle back to a almost Flush position.

If I seem so contrary to such "make do" suggestions, it's because I've seen so many similar "fixes" that just couldn't stand up under any degree of scrutiny. In any situation such as yours or the OP's where a TV is mounted on a Wall where traffic allows for people to look sideways down the Wall, such cosmetic concerns should have been / are usually addressed in the beginning. An alternative location might be considered....or a Wall framed with 2x6s to allow for a deep enough cavity for a Flush recess. Those are the kind of solutions that work to mitigate such issues, and do so in a manner one can be proud of. Having a bulky edifice on a otherwise Flat Wall is not.

Really....having an angled enclosure whose sole purpose is to hide a Mount / Wiring is something that will be regretted later. Drapes? (...no emoticon can suffice here...) If one has a Articulatied Mount, one that pulls out from a standard Flat, closer to the Wall position, to a Pulled Forward & Tilted / Twisted on Angle position, the only sensible solution is to effect a recess for the Mount Base that reduces the forward protrusion when the TV is not in use.

That said, I've had Mounts be painted, and a conspicuous effort made to route wires along the Mount Arms as neatly as possible. "Snakeskin" Wire Covers....or Running Wires through Channels on the Mount...all that helps....but it's not a really cosmetic solution. Many TVs over Mantles have had to be out of necessity at least slightly recessed, and Mounts specifically chosen to help make the installation work. I've never installed a TV in a position where someone had to gawk at the mechanics.....I'd plainly and clearly state what needed to be used & done to make things look right, and I cannot think of a single instance in 30+ years where someone...especially a Wife, would say, "Oh, I don't care what it looks like." So what needed to be done was done.

Obviously, someone /s isn't happy with the Status Quo in the two instances being discussed in this Thread....and creating a "fix" that looks like a Band-Aid on a Compound Fracture isn't going to make things better.

Now of course I'm not the only source to turn to on this Forum...and my suggestions can only be taken up if one can manage to understand and accept their premise. Or afford to make them happen. Since I strive to be of as much help as I can, I do feel more than a little pain when I see individuals having to consider or deciding to deal with situations in a manner that is less than.....well, acceptable to me. But that's me...I gotta be me, and if I'm going to suggest any course of action, it's going to be a good one.

And just so as to not be all talk (typing) and no action, I took a few minutes to make up this Visual. Two solutions that address both situations. Now if neither of you cannot...or will not consider any Retrofitting, then chalk the effort below (...and my commentary...) to my just trying to plead for some sanity in what seems to me to be an easily accommodated solution.

MississippiMan,

I'd like to recess a Sony XBR85X850F into my wall. I'm a DIY'er, so I'm not so concerned about the project itself. What I am concerned about is the potential for the TV overheating.
The Sony installation manual says that you need to keep 4" of space around all four sides of the TV when mounting it into a recess, and to never install it completely recessed in an area that will trap the hot air that is rising from the back of the TV.

What I'd like to do violates all of these guidelines, except the hot air would be able to rise inside my wall so it wouldn't get trapped in the cavity that the TV is sunk into.
Here is a picture of another install that is similar to what I am thinking. The only difference is I'd like the "frame" of my TV to sit flush against the wall rather than being completely recessed like this one is.

Do you have any experience with installations like this ? Any issues with TVs overheating ?

-AGLAT
post #38 of 38 Old 11-11-2018, 09:17 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

AGLA101 ,

Ibuilt a lot of 65" Sony & Pioneer RPTVs flush into walls "back in the day" to look exactly how you want yours to look. Fooled a lot of people into thinking they were immense Flat Screens...back when no such things existed.

I have "Shadow-Boxed" quite a few Plasmas (...those needed air....) and LEDs, (...all with 4" Side/Top/Bottom spacing...) but I have not totally enclosed one.

However you have the right idea by allowing heated air from off the set to rise up the wall plenum. You didn't say however where that heat would eventually wind up...and be advised that if the Front Frame of the set effectively seals off the edges, you'll have precious little if any convection effect. also, unless the ar has a escape route, it will build up and eventual encroach down and around the TV.

Installing a narrow Fan Bar, or a series of small Muffin Fans on top of the Wall Top Plates up in the Attic (if one exists) is a best-case solution...but even then you must allow for some cool air entry point below the TV so that air can pull up and around the set and help carry off the heat of the TV.

I'm not familiar enough with the SONY 85"er you have to be able to state as to if SONY's warning is overstated much less overblown....but it would seem plausible given the TVs size and them amount of heat even just the Power supply might produce. I do know my old CRT RPTVs needed all the space and ventilation I could engineer in.

But another issues related to your given installation might well come up that determine how well you can plann to mount the TV. How deep is that wall? Are you planning to use and articulated "Pull-Out" Mount? What lies behind the TV Wall? (...the example seems to have been blessed by a lot of interior Wall depth...)

You seem to have your DIY work cut out for you...and I'm available to advise / assist all I can if needed. Overall the concept adheres to my own mind-think: Hide everything that doesn't serve a purpose for entertainment. I sincerely hope you can nail down your solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page