tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #361 of 390 Old 11-21-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
I totally understand! I actually work in Customer Service.
BP1Fanatic,

Well way-way-way years ago at one point one of my positions was being the "Customer-Relations-Manager".

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 390 Old 11-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Well, I'm just a peon. I don't like people to be in management.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #363 of 390 Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
BP1Fanatic,

Well way-way-way years ago at one point one of my positions was being the "Customer-Relations-Manager".

Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Well, I'm just a peon. I don't like people to be in management.
Well titles with some companies are simply titles buddy.

When I had that "Assigned" position above at a Chevrolet Dealership it actually in reality consisted of the following
per Upper-Management.
Terry take care of our customers and keep them HAPPY and make sure they rate us 10 on our Customer Surveys but "Don't" spend any of our money on doing so.
In other words as long as I was able to talk ONLY to them with positive results all was A-OK !!!

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 390 Old 11-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

EXACTLY...lol!
tigerhonaker likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #365 of 390 Old 11-23-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
I want the ATI amplifier that I think has the same build quality and performance as my 5-Classe' amplifiers.
I want the Triad speakers that Steve Colburn recommends if I can afford them as I want what might come close to my current JML Utopia speakers.
I want to go with the Transparent cables and the recommended inner-connects as that's what I also have.
I will be going with "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" (Charles) as I 1st off 100% Trust him and I also want his Main Senior Technician (Jason) to do the install.
This is all you had to say. You're emotionally involved in demanding super high-end equipment and the pros you reached out to with these demands obliged with recommending high-end equipment. Simple.
post #366 of 390 Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
This is all you had to say.
You're emotionally involved in demanding super high-end equipment and the pros you reached out to with these demands obliged with recommending high-end equipment.
Simple.
Tim,

Well I suppose that's kinda accurate ^^^
But ...........
Who wants to do things that they are not really comfortable with for one of their Major-Interest like H/T is to me.
In my case also my other main interest is Cars, well performance cars actually.

And me being what I think and hope others see in my posting a very-very open guy I'll share the following.
I just like things a certain-way and since I know how I am I have learned over the years to do things exactly as I wish.
I do try my best (With-In) reason to place cost to the side as long as in doing so those cost don't to me get "Pathetic".

When I was much-much-much poorer and I am being serious.
I as well as I really think the greater majority of the American-Middle-Class did things based on cost not by Brand-Names.
A few rough examples ...........
I use to wear Timex battery powered watches or similar to the Timex.
As an older guy I made the decision to purchase a Rolex (YACHT-MASTER) watch and that was back on 5/23/1998.

I Special-Ordered an Audi RS-3 Limited-Edition Sports Sedan Loaded-Up with options as I wanted it my-way.
I could have just as easily went with an Audi A-3 or 1-Step-Up an Audi S-3.
A great many years ago I had a V/W Diesel Rabbit with a manual-transmission but once again that was then not now.

So, to some AVS members that follow me on this thread on my H/T they very well might think this guy is either "Wealthy or Crazy".

Neither of those are even close to reality ..........

I simply do things as I like and when those things are completed I know inside me I did them as right as they possibly could be done.
And in my situation I did as usual place cost aside and going with the upper-class gear/components.
What I won't ever do after I finally get the Atmos installed is Wake-Up in the very-very early morning hours questioning what I did and didn't do.
I'll sleep like a baby knowing the Atmos was done as good as it possibly could be and hopefully it will perform and add another Awesome addition to my H/T audio.

Terry
post #367 of 390 Old 11-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

I feel you Terry! My next F150, I want it MY WAY with no compromises.
tigerhonaker likes this.

post #368 of 390 Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Tim,

Well I suppose that's kinda accurate ^^^
But ...........
Who wants to do things that they are not really comfortable with for one of their Major-Interest like H/T is to me.
In my case also my other main interest is Cars, well performance cars actually.

And me being what I think and hope others see in my posting a very-very open guy I'll share the following.
I just like things a certain-way and since I know how I am I have learned over the years to do things exactly as I wish.
I do try my best (With-In) reason to place cost to the side as long as in doing so those cost don't to me get "Pathetic".

When I was much-much-much poorer and I am being serious.
I as well as I really think the greater majority of the American-Middle-Class did things based on cost not by Brand-Names.
A few rough examples ...........
I use to wear Timex battery powered watches or similar to the Timex.
As an older guy I made the decision to purchase a Rolex (YACHT-MASTER) watch and that was back on 5/23/1998.

I Special-Ordered an Audi RS-3 Limited-Edition Sports Sedan Loaded-Up with options as I wanted it my-way.
I could have just as easily went with an Audi A-3 or 1-Step-Up an Audi S-3.
A great many years ago I had a V/W Diesel Rabbit with a manual-transmission but once again that was then not now.

So, to some AVS members that follow me on this thread on my H/T they very well might think this guy is either "Wealthy or Crazy".

Neither of those are even close to reality ..........

I simply do things as I like and when those things are completed I know inside me I did them as right as they possibly could be done.
And in my situation I did as usual place cost aside and going with the upper-class gear/components.
What I won't ever do after I finally get the Atmos installed is Wake-Up in the very-very early morning hours questioning what I did and didn't do.
I'll sleep like a baby knowing the Atmos was done as good as it possibly could be and hopefully it will perform and add another Awesome addition to my H/T audio.

Terry
Again, my comments were not a slight in any way, shape or form. To a large extent, ALL purchasing decisions are emotional, especially when it comes to a brand or perceived value. You can see the emotional ties highlighted in bold in your comment above. I get it. You want what you want and instructed your pros to help you choose what you want. Emotion trumps logic and practicality every single time and why your selection rationale makes sense...you want it. Nobody needs a Rolex to tell time, and yet Rolex sells tens of thousands of watches per year based on an emotional tie to the brand.

Perhaps it's because I've worked with too many emotionless engineers over the last two decades, but I look at system design from an emotionless standpoint, even for my own system. It's engineering and largely black-and-white where compromises have to be made and problems solved. I personally WANT an Art Deco look because that's what I like and would be spending money on over-and-above a basic stretch-fabric system. That's my emotional attachment. The rest is engineering. Whereas I am emotional with the aesthetic, you are emotional with the hardware. To each his own, but it doesn't change the fact that if you have a speaker, amp or wire which yields the same real-world in-room performance at 1/10th the price that it shouldn't be a consideration unless overruled by emotion.

Last edited by TMcG; 11-25-2019 at 06:37 AM.
post #369 of 390 Old 11-25-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Again, my comments were not a slight in any way, shape or form. To a large extent, ALL purchasing decisions are emotional, especially when it comes to a brand or perceived value. You can see the emotional ties highlighted in bold in your comment above. I get it. You want what you want and instructed your pros to help you choose what you want. Emotion trumps logic and practicality every single time and why your selection rationale makes sense...you want it. Nobody needs a Rolex to tell time, and yet Rolex sells tens of thousands of watches per year based on an emotional tie to the brand.

Perhaps it's because I've worked with too many emotionless engineers over the last two decades, but I look at system design from an emotionless standpoint, even for my own system. It's engineering and largely black-and-white where compromises have to be made and problems solved. I personally WANT an Art Deco look because that's what I like and would be spending money on over-and-above a basic stretch-fabric system. That's my emotional attachment. The rest is engineering. Whereas I am emotional with the aesthetic, you are emotional with the hardware. To each his own, but it doesn't change the fact that if you have a speaker, amp or wire which yields the same real-world in-room performance at 1/10th the price that it shouldn't be a consideration unless overruled by emotion.
Tim,

Believe me I have not taken anything you have said as you being a Smart-Ass or anything remotely like that buddy.

I actually do understand where your coming from as you are simply looking at really "Performance" and what gear gives that performance.

As you have read already I'm just a guy that likes what I like and thank-goodness as long as I don't get just really-really crazy.
I can do things my-way even though you, me and lots of others know that it could be done for a Heck-of-a-lot-Less.

Terry
post #370 of 390 Old 11-25-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Things are already moving forward for the coming addition of ... ATMOS !!!

Greetings,

My pictures were too many so I deleted a few of the Carpet at the Bottom of this post:

This morning around 7 am Chad & Nathan arrived to do the actual electrical work.
Chad has been in this business for over 30 Plus-Years.
One thing I did have them do was replace all the ballast in three (3) of my overhead garage 4-tube fixtures.
Each fixture takes two (2) ballast.
The design had changed since I personally did them myself.
So the wiring color-codes are totally different for the new ballast.
Anyway, they did those 1st and now all my overhead lights all work perfect once again.
And here where I live it now gets dark really early as well as it being darker days in the winter months.
Luckily I do have a new Carrier HVAC Split-Unit so I can do anything I want in the garage summer or winter.

Let's get down to the much more fun stuff, the Home Theater.
I took the time to actually put text on the pictures so it will not be necessary for me to bore you to Tears with my on-going Blabbing. LOL !!!

Pictures are below and I would like to say that both Chad & Nathan were very-very accommodating with me taking all the pictures.
In-Fact both of them understood what I wanted and since one was actually in the H/T while the other was down in the garage.

One item that was not installed this morning was a Great Up-Dated "Surge-Protection-Device".
It's been ordered and the guys will be back to install when it comes in.
It will be located where the Main 200-Amp service is ..........

Both the guys gave me a SHOUT when they thought there was something I should take a picture of.

As always if you have a question or questions ask away and if I can answer I certainly will.

This just arrived right after Chad & Nathan pulled-out.

I have been researching a solution I could live with for adding a Deep-Black something to further enhance the picture quality from the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.
This researching has been going on for about a year now.
One consideration was to completely replace the existing deep red carpet with Black.
The {Overall} expense just did not make sense even to me or when I discussed it with Cathy (Wife).
Anyway, finally I found what I do hope is going to work nicely and the only thing that will be seen is the Stewart-Firehawk 1.35 Gain, 16 x 9, 123" screen.
We shall see but from everything I read and some were H/T applications and those were a Positive Plus 10.

I have already spoken to Charles at Wolf Hill Technologies so it's just a matter of when he can fit me in.

And of course I have a variety of the Professional Carpet Tape.

Terry
Craig Peer likes this.
post #371 of 390 Old 11-26-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi Terry,

Nice to see you making progress on the Home Theater upgrades.
You should now be more than good-to-go with all the electrical components.

That black carpet is going to be a nice addition to the room.
Not only should it give you a bit better video quality on the screen but I think it will look cool too.

Looking forward to the next phase my friend. of your super theater.

Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #372 of 390 Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Hi Terry,

Nice to see you making progress on the Home Theater upgrades.
You should now be more than good-to-go with all the electrical components.

That black carpet is going to be a nice addition to the room.
Not only should it give you a bit better video quality on the screen but I think it will look cool too.

Looking forward to the next phase my friend. of your super theater.

Cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom C,

I did get the quote yesterday for the "CRITEC TDX100M".

The TDX100M Modular Series of Transient Voltage Surge Suppressors is designed for critical protection.

It has been ordered and Pre-Paid so as soon as it comes in Chad and Nathan will come back and install it.

I have decided not to take any chances on possibly "Frying" all the electronics in the H/T.

I went for the Up-Graded Model as you can Replace the inner Fuse Cartridge without having to replace the complete unit.

TDXs
Replacement Fuse Cartridge (Order TDXFUSE).
Side Mount Kit (Order ... TDX100M. 480D.
Nominal Voltage, Un. 120/208 V. 120/240 V. 240 V. 277/480 V.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-27-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: I added useful information on the Surge-Device ...
post #373 of 390 Old 11-27-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 7195 Post(s)
Liked: 8592
The black carpet is going to be a nice improvement !
post #374 of 390 Old 11-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Terry,

Sounds like that house electrical protection unit you are getting is nice indeed.
If I understand it correctly everything in the house will be protected without the need for a bunch of surge protectors inside the house.

Hey, you won't be waking up at 3:00 am wondering if your gear is safe, lol.

Cheers,
Tom
post #375 of 390 Old 11-27-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The black carpet is going to be a nice improvement !
Craig,

I think this new Deep-Black-Shag is going to add a lot to the images on the big screen.
My thinking is all you will see once it's installed is the actual picture on the screen and that's it.
Since it's 15' wide it goes way past the screen on both ends and being 12' deep it will go under the love-seat like 4-inches.
Cathy says she is anxious to see it once it's installed as she thinks not only will it add to the picture quality but will add some additional flair to the looks in the H/T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Terry,

Sounds like that house electrical protection unit you are getting is nice indeed.
If I understand it correctly everything in the house will be protected without the need for a bunch of surge protectors inside the house.

Hey, you won't be waking up at 3:00 am wondering if your gear is safe, lol.

Cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom,

Yes, that Surge Device will go right where the 200-Amp Main-Service is.
And it will Protect the whole house.
Although that's true ^^^ I'm really doing it to add additional Protection to the H/T.

And you right I'll sleep like a baby for sure.

Terry
Craig Peer likes this.
post #376 of 390 Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Decision made to go ahead and lay the Lilah "Deep-Black" area rug down ...

Sunday December 1st,

Well it has been really-really bothering/concerning me about the new Wayfair, Lilah Deep-Black area rug being "Folded-Up".
My concern is/was after reading lots & lots of customer reviews that if your's was shipped Folded it could take a really-really long time to lay flat.
So the more I thought about it the more I thought over my options.
No-where on the lower floor was there a large enough empty floor space to lay it totally flat.
I kept mulling it over and finally it dawned on me after getting the tape-measure out and doing some additional measuring,
all I would have to do is to lay it Length-Wise 15' ..............
And then the width would be 12' which would much more easily fit between the Subwoofers on the floor in the H/T.
(I did not wish to move the Mirage BPS400 Subs)

Moving forward I did the measuring and saw this was going to be really much-much easier and straight-forward than I 1st thought,
now that I was reversing the way it was going to lay on the H/T floor.

As I suspected it was curled-up in a few areas but no-big-deal I laid some heavy wood blocks on those areas and will leave them until the carpet lays flat.
You can see in the pictures where it was folded so I'm glad I did take the initiative to UN-Fold it and lay it down.
I don't have an install date from Wolf-Hill-Technologies but I do know Charles told me they have more work for December than the man hours to do it all.
So, my thinking is the Area Rug will have lots & lots of time to lay Totally Flat long before they come to do the install.

Picture improvement,
Yes guys as soon as I placed everything back in place, furniture, and all the lights were totally out.
Immediately there was an obvious improvement in the picture on the 123" 16 x 9 screen.
In layman terms the colors were enhanced to where to us both they were more saturated.
The complete picture just looked Great !!!
Sorry guys I'm not one of the Pros on AVS so I lack the verbiage to fully describe the improvements.

Cathy & I both are well pleased for sure and this is with the Deep-Black Lilah rug just laying up against the gear in the front of the H/T under the screen.
There is No-Doubt that when the guys show-up and do the real install where they turn the rug to the 15' width and place it against the Front-Wall.
And the 12' will go far enough back to actually fit maybe 4 to 6 inches under the love-seat. It's going to be Awesome !!!
I will pat myself on the back guys as this has turned-out a real easily to see improvement in overall picture improvement.
And a heck of a lot less expensive than replacing all the red carpet in the H/T for sure and a lot easier.

Pictures,

Oh for those that have the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector
Yes I do use mine 7-days a week for the most part and the running hours are after 1-year or so 2,820H

The pictures were taken with my Samsung Galaxy 9 cellphone.
The distance was approximately 12' 6".
The pictures have NOT been enhanced.

I just UN-Rolled it and UN-Folded it below.

You can see below what I was referring to as some of the edges were Sticking-Up.

Easy solution was to place some Heavy-Wooden-Blocks on the Curled-Up-Edges.

Sconce Lights are out.

The picture above and this one below are from National Geographic in 1080i.
That's right guys these pictures are NOT HDR or 4K and not even 1080p.

We are well pleased with the picture improvement so far and looking forward to when the Lilah DEEP-BLACK area rug will be permanently installed.

Terry & Cathy
Terry
Craig Peer and ARROW-AV like this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-01-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: What else "Spelling" of course ...........
post #377 of 390 Old 12-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Black carpeting was one of the best things I did.
Killroy likes this.
post #378 of 390 Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hey Craig,

What's kinda interesting is the Deep-Black area rug is the least expensive thing I have done to enhance the picture in the H/T.
The labor to do the install of it is going to be expensive I think have not gotten that proposal yet.
But moving every individual piece of gear, the furniture, then reinstalling it all and making sure all is once again working exactly as it should.
Plus multiple techs coming to do it and the hours it will take the labor-cost are worth it to me.
Also one has to keep in mind that they (Techs) will have to do some extensive measuring to get everything exactly back where it is suppose to be.
We, Cathy & I are looking forward to when the guys will come and do the permanent install.
There was an instantly noticeable improvement to the picture already so when the area-rug is turned to the 15' width and placed all the way against the front-wall.
Plus then it will be many feet to the left & right of the screen so all one will see is the actual picture.

Terry
post #379 of 390 Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hey Craig,

What's kinda interesting is the Deep-Black area rug is the least expensive thing I have done to enhance the picture in the H/T.
The labor to do the install of it is going to be expensive I think have not gotten that proposal yet.
But moving every individual piece of gear, the furniture, then reinstalling it all and making sure all is once again working exactly as it should.
Plus multiple techs coming to do it and the hours it will take the labor-cost are worth it to me.
Also one has to keep in mind that they (Techs) will have to do some extensive measuring to get everything exactly back where it is suppose to be.
We, Cathy & I are looking forward to when the guys will come and do the permanent install.
There was an instantly noticeable improvement to the picture already so when the area-rug is turned to the 15' width and placed all the way against the front-wall.
Plus then it will be many feet to the left & right of the screen so all one will see is the actual picture.

Terry
post #380 of 390 Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Ya, I just had my carpet guy have a big piece of carpet edge bound and put it over the existing carpet like a giant 14' x 16' " throw rug ".
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #381 of 390 Old 12-02-2019, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Ya, I just had my carpet guy have a big piece of carpet edge bound and put it over the existing carpet like a giant 14' x 16' " throw rug ".
I did consider having a piece of Black Carpet put over the red permanent carpet ???
But, as I kept looking into my options I found the area rugs.
I also then really got much-much deeper into that possibility and found out they can be ordered in really-really large sizes.
This is going to look like we Special Ordered it as it's going to be a Perfect Fitment to the available space for it.
The one I picked had like 35,000 thousand reviews and thankfully some were from guys using them in their Home Theaters.
So I then looked to see what sizes I could get it in and luckily it could be ordered in the 15' by 12' size.
Also a Major deciding point to me was how many comments were made about it being the Real "Deep-Black" color.

That did it and my order was placed and it came like in two (2) days.
Super-Fast by Federal Express ..........

I knew I did good when Cathy said she liked it and she thought it would even add to the overall looks of the H/T to boot.

Terry
post #382 of 390 Old 12-03-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I'm sorry if I missed it but where did you order the rug? I'm all into this black stuff now!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #383 of 390 Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I'm sorry if I missed it but where did you order the rug?
I'm all into this black stuff now!
I did mention where but I didn't post the Link.

Wayfair,

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...10.pxVUYSKQPLI

Terry
post #384 of 390 Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
That looks real nice! Thanks for the link to the carpet. I currently have a black rug but since I covered my walls and ceiling in velvet the rug now stands out when before it was the least reflective.
The one I have now is more matted so I might give this shag rug a try and see if it is better.
Seems like you are really happy with this one. Unfortunately they are out of stock of the size I need and will have to wait.
post #385 of 390 Old 12-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dude, do/spend what you want! Kinda surprising that people are kinda shaming you for your own preferences. I say got for the ATI (I'd love that!) and Transparent cabling.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Happy building
Chris

Quote:
Dan,

It's your choice to post on any AVS member's thread/threads ............

The above ^^^ comment is actually why I posted your a Riot and I stick to that comment.

I have been what I suppose could be classed as business friend's with Charles for a lot of years and I do mean a lot of years.
And haven't gotten {Screwed} yet.
In-Fact as an example when I purchased the JVC RS4500 laser projector from Mike Garrett here on this site.
Charles said I'll send Jason and another tech over to install it for you Terry.
Keep in mind Dan, Charles also could have sold me the RS4500 laser projector that I elected to get from Mike Garrett.
That's what you get when you have an excellent working relationship with a company and especially in this case the owner of the company.
And speaking of all components including cables, inner connects etc.
I said to Charles I want a price on the Top-of-the-Line buddy as long as it's not for the 1-percenters in the world.
So, Charles did exactly as I had requested and also he gave me the other much-much less expensive alternatives.

I try my best to not get to personal on this internet site with other members like yourself but in this situation I'll say the following.

Do you or anyone really think I don't appreciate Tim reaching out to me and volunteering to do those cables ???
Of course I totally appreciate him 100% for asking me if I wanted them he would do it as a gift.

What your not getting Dan is I operate my way as you and everyone else does things which way ???
They and you do things "Your-Way" as it should be even though some other people might think, why in the world did he do that.
There simply is No-Right or Wrong .............
It's just guys with in this case a very-very expensive Hobby and all of us choose how we do what we do.
I doubt or I certainly hope the greater majority of us on AVS don't do things to just Piss-Off the other members.

I have made the decision to go with and for the Atmos speakers .

I, Charles (Wolf Hill Technologies) as well as Steve (Triad) and a person here on AVS (Name Withheld) all think the right amplifier is the .

I do know there are a variety of POWER Amps available that are a heck of a lot less expensive than the ATI.
But, there were back when I purchased the 5 Classe' Amps as well.

Same thing applies for cable choices like me originally going with Transparent.
And going with Transparent again for the Atmos.
Of course I as well as Charles know we could go with much-much less expensive cables.
Same for the interconnects etc.

Dan, back-off a little and try to look and appreciate it that I and others might do things that you or others certainly wouldn't do.
But, we are not doing things our way to Piss anyone off and for others to think that's just CRAZY that guy's NUTS.
Lastly, at 74-years old and no one to leave what me and my wife have acquired financially why shouldn't I do it my way buddy.

I welcome you back to post your comments and thoughts Any-Ole-Time even though I might choose not to use those.

Peace,
Terry
post #386 of 390 Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
That looks real nice! Thanks for the link to the carpet. I currently have a black rug but since I covered my walls and ceiling in velvet the rug now stands out when before it was the least reflective.
The one I have now is more matted so I might give this shag rug a try and see if it is better.
Seems like you are really happy with this one. Unfortunately they are out of stock of the size I need and will have to wait.
Hawks07,

I do know the 15' x 12' was Sold-Out really-really fast that I have.
My thinking is if there is sufficient room to the Left & Right of the screen ???
Then get as large an Area-Rug as possible and that's exactly what I lucked-Out and got.
When the techs have the time to come do the final install it will appear that it's a custom-size area rug but it's not.
And in my H/T it will be many feet to the Left & Right of the actual screen so there will be little "Reflection" off it and back to the screen.
The reason I chose to go with the Low-Shag and especially in "Deep-Black" was to hopefully Break-Up any reflections off it.
I took a lot and I do mean a lot of time and researching Area-Rugs before ever, finally, seeing the one I ordered.
And I read hundreds and hundreds of customer reviews on what they had to say.
Thankfully a few were guys that ordered it for use in their Home Theaters like I'm doing.
I always try my best to post (Factual) and Truthful information so keep reading.
This is not by any Stretch-of-the-Imagination a High-Dollar area-rug.
I wasn't actually looking for something between $2,000 to $4,000 US dollars !!!
I simply wanted something that would do what I wanted and that was nothing more than to Help-Reduce-Reflections from the Floor back to the Screen.
And now that I have UN-Folded it some days ago and it's now starting to lay much-much flatter I can see it was the right choice for me and my purpose.
All the places that it was (Curled-Up) have already completely gone away and there were not that many anyway.
(See the pictures I posted above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislee View Post
Dude, do/spend what you want! Kinda surprising that people are kinda shaming you for your own preferences. I say got for the ATI (I'd love that!) and Transparent cabling.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Happy building
Chris
Hi Chris,

Well my Good-Man I guess a few AVS members have gotten their feelings hurt or think I could care less about what they had to say in their suggestions to me.
I never-ever said I didn't appreciate the suggestions nor did I ever say to Tim that offered to make-up the cable interconnects I didn't 100% appreciate his kindness and offer.

All I have said is that I'm doing my Custom H/T the way I want to and to my way of thinking I would hope any normal logical thinking person using Common-Sense could see where I'm coming from on that.

Chris, think about it why if I can afford to have the Transparent Cables that match what I have now would I not wish to do them again.
Same-thing with me going with I think the ATI 7-channel Amp.
It is I think in the same Class as my existing 5 Classe' Amps.
Or me choosing hopefully to go with the TRIAD in-ceiling speakers.

At 74 years young and No-Children why should I not do what I really-really like & prefer and set cost aside.
I am one of the people that has a very-very simple philosophy ............
Money to me is to provide me and my wife the things we want (Not necessarily a Necessity) and enjoy our lives together as long as we can.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-05-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #387 of 390 Old 12-05-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Another Up-Grade has just been completed today see below ....

Greetings,

Okay in preparation for the addition of ATMOS hopefully the 1st 1/4 of 2020.
I just had the Critec Surge Device installed this morning.
I already had the same Electrical Company install the 2 additional dedicated 20-Amp circuits in the H/T component nook.

I have also received the Lilah low-shag Deep-Black area rug and have UN-Folded it and laid it down length-wise to let it lay flat.
I don't have a time yet for that to be installed permanently by "Wolf-Hill-Technologies.
It might even be next year as they are covered-up with work this month.

Chad & Nathan came around 8 AM to do the install of the Critec Surge Device.
As always I do try to take pictures so you guys can get some idea of what's involved in doing this sort of thing.

Let's do the pictures and I'll type above each picture as needed to explain.

Chad is going to Move/Relocate those circuit breakers so he can place the New Critec Circuit Breakers all the way at the Top.

You can see from the Red Arrows a Blank Area to where the circuit breakers are being moved.

They are installing the Critec Surge Device Conduit through the top of the 200 Amp Service Box.

As you can see it is installed and Powered-Up.

Terry
post #388 of 390 Old 12-06-2019, 04:44 PM

Terry, congrats on the new elec buildout. Looks great.

I totally agree on your thoughts regarding the gear. For many incl myself, I like to buy quality and be happy with it for a longer time period. I bought Tidal Audio Piano speakers and a Modwright amp. Retired now too so I know I can't match the quality of the former for HT, but I will buy the best I can afford. I'd love to go with something like an Anthem proc, an ATI amp like yours, and KEF Ci200QR's for Atmos. Now...whether I get there is another question

Best of luck with the endeavor Terry!
post #389 of 390 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislee View Post
Terry, congrats on the new elec buildout. Looks great.

I totally agree on your thoughts regarding the gear. For many incl myself, I like to buy quality and be happy with it for a longer time period. I bought Tidal Audio Piano speakers and a Modwright amp. Retired now too so I know I can't match the quality of the former for HT, but I will buy the best I can afford. I'd love to go with something like an Anthem proc, an ATI amp like yours, and KEF Ci200QR's for Atmos. Now...whether I get there is another question

Best of luck with the endeavor Terry!
chrislee,

Well my Good-Man I think (Opinion) the guys that are really-really into the Custom-Home-Theater thing do buy the best they are comfortable with.
In general I'm thinking the older guys that use their H/T on a daily basis and can afford financially they do purchase Top-of-the-Line products.
I also think some of us could actually even go further with what we purchase if we really wanted to.
Especially if we didn't have children, costly divorce and or multiple divorces with multiple families and the overall expenses of same.
I don't have any of the above expense wise and no-children ever and that includes even my term in Vietnam.
Plus like myself being married for now 35-Plus years to Cathy and her being 9 years younger than me and her still working with a great income & benefits that cover both of us.

So, in my case I am willing with-in reason to do things on what I consider the Higher-End, Middle-Class H/T gear/components.
Certainly not to ever be confused or compared to the 1-percenters in the world, ever!!!

I have personally waited to add ATMOS as I was not for sure or yet convinced ATMOS was going to be a permanent audio addition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

Quote:
History:
The first Dolby Atmos installation was in the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, for the premiere of Brave in June 2012.[3] Throughout 2012, it saw a limited release of about 25 installations worldwide, with an increase to 300 locations in 2013.[4] There were over 4,400 locations as of April 2019. Dolby Atmos has also been adapted to a home theater format and is the audio component of Dolby Cinema. Most electronic devices since 2016, as well as smartphones after 2017, have been enabled for Dolby Atmos recording and mixing.
So as the years rolled by it seems to me that ATMOS is here to stay and only going to be better & better as time marches by with the technology improving along the way for H/T.

Since I did wait my final decision based on my other components/gear in the H/T was to go big or another way to say it, put cost aside.
And with the above decision ^^^ being made finally I also decided to make doggone sure I had everything else in place 1st before adding the actual Atmos system.
I feel like now I have everything in place to add the Atmos Audio System and if all goes as Cathy & I plan Atmos will be added come 1st 1/4 of 2020.
We are thinking the final decision on it will be made in March 2020 and that's when I'll get in touch with

Charles (Owner) of .

Just speaking in general I do realize that there are some guys on this AVS internet site that think I'm being Ridiculous with the way I'm going about the addition of adding Atmos.
I do respect some of them and I certainly do appreciate some of their advice and thoughts/comments on Atmos.
But, as I have said more than once I'm going to do it my-way and when it is all totally completed I will not be questioning if I should have done this or that.
I will add this, Chris, my hope and personal opinion is that Atmos is going to get better & better as time goes by for H/T.
I think that HDR & 4K HDR will also get better for H/T applications as time goes by.
If I am right on both the above then I will have made the right decision for myself to go with the Higher-End-Gear for the addition of Atmos.
So, I'd much-much prefer to do the Atmos system addition one time and do it as right as I can comfortably afford if in-fact Atmos continues to be continually improved for H/T.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
post #390 of 390 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

I absolutely love Atmos from what I've heard at friends place. But we just moved to Portland OR in April and I'm still recovering from that expense lol Too bad the finished basement is going to be difficult to retrofit the sides and Atmos speakers. And worse, I broke my wrist so I can't even start till next yr. Ugh.

But as you've found out, patience goes a long way!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page