tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 243Likes

post #451 of 472 Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2971 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
This is what I didn't post above ..............

The below 2019 Audi RS-3 I special ordered I very-very much was considering trading it in on the New 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette.

The Atmos system Won-Out as you have read and now you know that to me it was so much less costly than me doing the Corvette that it was simply not all that big a deal, to me.

Glad you decided to keep the Audi and go Atmos!!
tigerhonaker likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 472 Old 01-20-2020, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Ditto!
tigerhonaker likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #453 of 472 Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Glad you decided to keep the Audi and go Atmos!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Ditto!
Hey guys,

The H/T Atmos did as you read Win and I have No-Regrets at all to that Final Decision.

I would have loved to have had the new Mid-Engine Corvette but I realize deep-deep inside it would have been sitting in the garage just like all the last several new performance cars and seldom ever drove.

Some times as we age our minds say to us one thing but then the Real-World and Total-Reality sets in.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 472 Old 01-21-2020, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

So true!
tigerhonaker likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #455 of 472 Old 01-23-2020, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Terry & Tom's ATMOS Adventure

Background:
I finally found the time to reply to Terry's detailed post about his upcoming Atmos installation. (Post #432 on Page 15.)

I'm the Tom Cochran from San Antonio he refers to in the opening of that post. Indeed, Terry and I have a long and wonderful history together, ever since he sent me that Shell gas card out of the blue, saying "Tom, I want the first tank of gas you put into your new 2008 Bullitt Mustang to be on me."

Over the past 12 years I have been to his house several times and we have attended together many car events, both car shows and dragstrip racing (he always wins!)

With regard to cars both Terry and I are probably considered financial idiots by most people as we have traded in and out of cars as if they were coins or stamps. Both of us currently own 2019 Audi RS3s, compact sedan hot-rods that have the performance of supercars just five years ago. Although we may be idiots we do know how to have FUN!

I had to laugh when Terry called me to say he was considering trading the Audi RS3 for a 2020 mid-engine Corvette. There is a high likelihood that I said something like, "Are you a raving lunatic!" Even though I understand Terry's desire to have the latest and greatest and sometimes the most expensive item this idea blew my mind. Fortunately he came to his senses after talking with Cathy, his wife, and decided to go Atmos instead.

Lifetime Love of Home Theater:
Now, getting back to the discussion of home theater: Once Terry and I discovered we both have a virtual lifetime love of all things related to audio/visual our telephone conversations became marathons of detailed sharing.

My introduction to beautiful sound began over 60 years ago when my dad bought a Fisher President console in the mid-1950s. That roughly 200-pound monster had a Garrard stereo turntable, a reel-to-reel stereo tape deck, a tuner, big speakers, and a massive tube amplifier. It produced music which was heavenly for the time. (See attached Photo)

Through the years we have seen and owned just about every technological advance that came along, going from 78-rpm records, 33-1/3 stereo, CDs, lived through the VHS/Betamax war, quadraphonic, laser discs, up to all the latest tech including 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, Blu-Rays, and now streaming and Atmos.

Atmos Background:
My introduction to Atmos was about 5 years ago when my brother and I listened to a demo at Bjorn's, San Antonio's best high-end A/V store. Over the past 20 years we have both bought all our A/V gear from Bjorn's, a fantastic business with a great selection of all things home theater and a well-trained sales and service staff. (See attached Photo)

The demo was in their very expensive Ultimate Home Theater room and included B&W in-ceiling speakers. At that time there was precious little Atmos material available but I still remember the two movies used: "Gravity" and "American Sniper." I liked what Atmos did with the sound on Atmos material. (See attached Photo)

But, when we demoed the upmixing of non-Atmos material neither my brother nor I were happy with what we heard. With so little Atmos available it seemed a waste of money to install it at the time. Also, it was the early days so we didn't know if Atmos for the home would be around in the future or if it would just disappear like so many past technologies.

Fast forward a few years and it became clear that Atmos was here to stay and a lot more material was available. Bjorn's hosted a night for customers to hear all of the speakers and systems from the company SVS. It was a terrific night with great demos including a big room setup for Atmos using the SVS Prime Elevation speakers on the ceiling. I was very positively impressed with the demo and pleasantly surprised to hear that the relatively small and inexpensive SVS speakers could fill the room with good sound.

In 2018 I decided to upgrade most of my Home Theater components and go ahead with the installation of Atmos. (I will discuss my Atmos system further down.)

Terry's Atmos Project:
I have been in Terry's Home Theater several times over the years, but not since he did the upgrades with the JVC Laser Projector and other items. Believe me folks, it is a fabulous experience to see and hear in person. I bowed down in respect. (See attached Photo)

The quality of the sound and video was terrific. We watched many movies and listened to some music Blu-Rays including the brilliantly done "Black & White Night" with Roy Orbison. The place was truly rocking and rolling (remember he has 4 big subwoofers.)

I am excited that Terry is now going to have Atmos installed as I am convinced it will be a worthwhile addition to his HT enjoyment. Since I have now had Atmos for about 18 months I have been able to share with Terry the difference it has made. The best way to enjoy Atmos is, of course, with hard discs. Streaming with Atmos is also pretty good. Upmixing of non-Atmos material is still behind the curve but has improved over time and does still add to making the sound envelope bigger.

On many occasions I have taken a 4K Atmos disc to my brother's house to listen on his excellent, but non-Atmos, system. When I get back home I will then listen to a few scenes on my system and there is no doubt that Atmos adds a lot: The sound envelope is bigger, the placement of sound within that envelope is more realistic, and for a reason I don't understand it has added to the quality of my bass.

I have been sharing my experiences with Terry ever since I had it installed. He well remembers when my brother came over to my house and listened to my new system. He told Terry something like, "Wow, Terry, the sound is phenomenal."

Terry has decided to go all out with Atmos, much as he does with other projects. When looking at the details of his project I can only think it is going to be the Ultimate, Best-in-the-World type of system. Those custom-built Triad speakers (6 of them) should be KILLER! I am really looking forward to hearing what he thinks after the install and he slaps the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc into his player. Is he being a "Lunatic" with regard to costs? Perhaps, but this world is a better place for having some eccentric lunatics in it as far as I am concerned.

My Atmos System:
When I decided to do Atmos I really did not want to spend a lot of money as I was already digging deep to buy a new television, receiver, speakers, and an amplifier to drive my bi-amped B&W left and right speakers plus the Center channel. The Denon AVR amplifiers drive the four surround and four Atmos speakers.

So, having heard the SVS Prime Elevation speakers I went with 4 of them at $250 each in white. (See attached Photo) Installation and speaker cables added about $1000. (See attached Photo)

Summary:
I am very happy with the improvement a comparatively budget Atmos addition has made to my home theater. It shows, I believe, that one can have a good Atmos system for a small expenditure: About $2000 if one alaready has a processor or AVR which can handle the additional channels and if one doesn't need another amplifier to drive them.

At the other end of the spectrum is what Terry has decided to do. Terry has the budget to go all out to match his other top-of-the-line components. Also, his room is bigger than mine. And let's not forget the joy of owning the best that there is.

I completely understand this and applaud Terry for doing what most of us can only dream of. It will be a real pleasure to listen to what Terry has to say. And I am hoping that I will be able to go visit him again and see his new JVC Laser Projector and hear the new Triad system.

Congratulations Terry for the superb Atmos project you have put together and for the very detailed description of what is coming.

Cheers,
Old Tom, your San Antonio buddy.

P.S. I have added details of my Home Theater to my signature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60 President IV Fr X new.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2674908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside #1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2674910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultimate Theater.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1,013.7 KB
ID:	2674912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling Speaker (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	2674914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos 4 Speakers (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2674916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowing Down (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2674918  

7.2.4 / TV: Sony XBR-85X900F / Mains: B&W 2 x 702 S2 + HTM71 S2 / Surrounds: 4 x 706 S2 / Atmos: 4 x SVS Prime Elevation on-ceiling / Subs: JL Audio Fathom f113 v.2 / Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H 13-ch / Amp for LCR: Rotel RMB-1585 5-ch, 200W-ch / BD Player: Oppo UDP-203 4K / Turntable: Revox B790 / DirecTV + Roku Ultra 4K / Power: Furman Elite-15 Pfi / Fans: 2 x AC Infinity Aircom T10 / Blackout Curtain: Electric w/remote / Ethernet: Netgear

Last edited by Elegant; 01-24-2020 at 09:11 AM.
post #456 of 472 Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Clarify verbiage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Background:
I finally found the time to reply to Terry's detailed post about his upcoming Atmos installation. (Post #432 on Page 15.)

I'm the Tom Cochran from San Antonio he refers to in the opening of that post. Indeed, Terry and I have a long and wonderful history together, ever since he sent me that Shell gas card out of the blue, saying "Tom, I want the first tank of gas you put into your new 2008 Bullitt Mustang to be on me."

Over the past 12 years I have been to his house several times and we have attended together many car events, both car shows and dragstrip racing (he always wins!)

With regard to cars both Terry and I are probably considered financial idiots by most people as we have traded in and out of cars as if they were coins or stamps. Both of us currently own 2019 Audi RS3s, compact sedan hot-rods that have the performance of supercars just five years ago. Although we may be idiots we do know how to have FUN!

I had to laugh when Terry called me to say he was considering trading the Audi RS3 for a 2020 mid-engine Corvette. There is a high likelihood that I said something like, "Are you a raving lunatic!" Even though I understand Terry's desire to have the latest and greatest and sometimes the most expensive item this idea blew my mind. Fortunately he came to his senses after talking with Cathy, his wife, and decided to go Atmos instead.

Lifetime Love of Home Theater:
Now, getting back to the discussion of home theater: Once Terry and I discovered we both have a virtual lifetime love of all things related to audio/visual our telephone conversations became marathons of detailed sharing.

My introduction to beautiful sound began over 60 years ago when my dad bought a Fisher President console in the mid-1950s. That roughly 200-pound monster had a Garrard stereo turntable, a reel-to-reel stereo tape deck, a tuner, big speakers, and a massive tube amplifier. It produced music which was heavenly for the time. (See attached Photo)

Through the years we have seen and owned just about every technological advance that came along, going from 78-rpm records, 33-1/3 stereo, CDs, lived through the VHS/Betamax war, quadraphonic, laser discs, up to all the latest tech including 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, Blu-Rays, and now streaming and Atmos.

Atmos Background:
My introduction to Atmos was about 5 years ago when my brother and I listened to a demo at Bjorn's, San Antonio's best high-end A/V store. Over the past 20 years we have both bought all our A/V gear from Bjorn's, a fantastic business with a great selection of all things home theater and a well-trained sales and service staff. (See attached Photo)

The demo was in their very expensive Ultimate Home Theater room and included B&W in-ceiling speakers. At that time there was precious little Atmos material available but I still remember the two movies used: "Gravity" and "American Sniper." I liked what Atmos did with the sound on Atmos material. (See attached Photo)

But, when we demoed the upmixing of non-Atmos material neither my brother nor I were happy with what we heard. With so little Atmos available it seemed a waste of money to install it at the time. Also, it was the early days so we didn't know if Atmos for the home would be around in the future or if it would just disappear like so many past technologies.

Fast forward a few years and it became clear that Atmos was here to stay and a lot more material was available. Bjorn's hosted a night for customers to hear all of the speakers and systems from the company SVS. It was a terrific night with great demos including a big room setup for Atmos using the SVS Prime Elevation speakers on the ceiling. I was very positively impressed with the demo and pleasantly surprised to hear that the relatively small and inexpensive SVS speakers could fill the room with good sound.

In 2018 I decided to upgrade most of my Home Theater components and go ahead with the installation of Atmos. (I will discuss my Atmos system further down.)

Terry's Atmos Project:
I have been in Terry's Home Theater several times over the years, but not since he did the upgrades with the JVC Laser Projector and other items. Believe me folks, it is a fabulous experience to see and hear in person. I bowed down in respect. (See attached Photo)

The quality of the sound and video was terrific. We watched many movies and listened to some music Blu-Rays including the brilliantly done "Black & White Night" with Roy Orbison. The place was truly rocking and rolling (remember he has 4 big subwoofers.)

I am excited that Terry is now going to have Atmos installed as I am convinced it will be a worthwhile addition to his HT enjoyment. Since I have now had Atmos for about 18 months I have been able to share with Terry the difference it has made. The best way to enjoy Atmos is, of course, with hard discs. Streaming with Atmos is also pretty good. Upmixing of non-Atmos material is still behind the curve but has improved over time and does still add to making the sound envelope bigger.

On many occasions I have taken a 4K Atmos disc to my brother's house to listen on his excellent, but non-Atmos, system. When I get back home I will then listen to a few scenes on my system and there is no doubt that Atmos adds a lot: The sound envelope is bigger, the placement of sound within that envelope is more realistic, and for a reason I don't understand it has added to the quality of my bass.

I have been sharing my experiences with Terry ever since I had it installed. He well remembers when my brother came over to my house and listened to my new system. He told Terry something like, "Wow, Terry, the sound is phenomenal."

Terry has decided to go all out with Atmos, much as he does with other projects. When looking at the details of his project I can only think it is going to be the Ultimate, Best-in-the-World type of system. Those custom-built Triad speakers (6 of them) should be KILLER! I am really looking forward to hearing what he thinks after the install and he slaps the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc into his player. Is he being a "Lunatic" with regard to costs? Perhaps, but this world is a better place for having some eccentric lunatics in it as far as I am concerned.

My Atmos System:
When I decided to do Atmos I really did not want to spend a lot of money as I was already digging deep to buy a new television, receiver, speakers, and an amplifier to drive my bi-amped B&W left and right speakers plus the Center channel. The Denon AVR amplifiers drive the four surround and four Atmos speakers.

So, having heard the SVS Prime Elevation speakers I went with 4 of them at $250 each in white. (See attached Photo) Installation and speaker cables added about $1000. (See attached Photo)

Summary:
I am very happy with the improvement a comparatively budget Atmos addition has made to my home theater. It shows, I believe, that one can have a good Atmos system for a small expenditure: About $2000 if one alaready has a processor or AVR which can handle the additional channels and if one doesn't need another amplifier to drive them.

At the other end of the spectrum is what Terry has decided to do. Terry has the budget to go all out to match his other top-of-the-line components. Also, his room is bigger than mine. And let's not forget the joy of owning the best that there is.

I completely understand this and applaud Terry for doing what most of us can only dream of. It will be a real pleasure to listen to what Terry has to say. And I am hoping that I will be able to go visit him again and see his new JVC Laser Projector and hear the new Triad system.

Congratulations Terry for the superb Atmos project you have put together and for the very detailed description of what is coming.

Cheers,
Old Tom, your San Antonio buddy.

P.S. I have added details of my Home Theater to my signature.
Tom C,

I had really forgotten what your SVS on-ceiling 4-white speakers looked like installed in your Media Entertainment Room.
I likeeeeeee

Well buddy there's not really much I can add to your extensive coverage of our history with one another.

I will say we have had probably more than our fair share of cars and certainly H/T products over the years.

We shall see how things go when I can tell Charles at I'm ready for him to order all the Atmos components/gear.

I'm thinking if all goes as Cathy & I think by the middle of March.

Then it will be sometime before all the products arrive including the Custom 6-Custom Repeat Gold Mini Monitor Plus ceiling speakers.

Time will pass quickly though and 1-day Charles and his Technicians will be at my house doing their thing.
(In about a week it will be February 2020)

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-25-2020 at 08:49 AM. Reason: To clarify content of text .....
post #457 of 472 Old 02-11-2020, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Just did some shopping for getting ready for the the Atmos ...

Greetings,

Well I have put up with the Halogen work-lights I have for years now.
They do produce a lot of light but ...........
They also as many of us know tons and tons of HEAT ...

So I went to the local Home Depot which is like maybe 3-4 miles from where I'm sitting on this computer at home.
And I found exactly what I was looking for.

Trade-Name ... HUSKY 10,000 LUMEN LED work-lights.
They extend to a little over 6 feet or exactly 76-inches.
When I say they produce an abundance of light believe me that's an understatement guys.
And No-More-Heat !!!

So, why all of a sudden did I make this move ???
Atmos install is coming here soon.

1st thing that's happening is is coming next week to check and mark the ceiling.

They will be making sure exactly where the 6 in-ceiling Atmos speakers will go.

I'll take some pictures and post them on here for you guys once they do their thing.

Also, I'm going to try/attempt to see if I can get Charles (Owner) to let Jason (Lead-Tech) do the install of my recently purchased ROKU Ultra.
Charles might let Jason do that if time is not an issue since I already have the ROKU Ultra previous model now that Jason installed.
I'm thinking it will be a fast install as all he has to do is UN-Plug one and plug the new model in and go through the Set-Up.

Stay-Tuned there is more coming soon guys,
Terry
Craig Peer and BP1Fanatic like this.
post #458 of 472 Old 02-11-2020, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Cool!
tigerhonaker likes this.

post #459 of 472 Old 02-12-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Greetings,

Stay-Tuned there is more coming soon guys,
Terry
I got a Roku Ultra a few months ago and it was very easy to install. I use it in my theater and I like it a lot better then my Fire Cube in my Living room. I have Google Mini in my theater and can some functions by giving it commands like got Roku or YouTube TV.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #460 of 472 Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I got a Roku Ultra a few months ago and it was very easy to install. I use it in my theater and I like it a lot better then my Fire Cube in my Living room. I have Google Mini in my theater and can some functions by giving it commands like got Roku or YouTube TV.
Ladeback,

I do all my streaming from my current ROKU I got last year.

Then I saw this Newer 2019 ROKU Ultra and decided to acquire it and replace the one I'm using.

The guys will be here next week to Check & Mark the ceiling for the 6 in-ceiling Triad Atmos speakers.
They and of course me want to make sure they can be installed where they actually should go.
And especially for the cost of the Triad speakers.
Last thing a person wants is to have "Custom" speakers built and purchased and then when the team shows-up to do the install they can't go where they are suppose to.

I could use both my Dish and Panasonic UB9000 for streaming but I don't.
I use every component for it's major function only.

So the ROKU Ultra to me is an excellent device and works great for that, streaming !!!

Terry
post #461 of 472 Old 02-17-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Well I have finally started adding to my Atmos 4K Ultra Disc ...

Guys,

On the dedicated Atmos thread I watch it closely to see and read about AVS members talking about the Best-of-the-Best 4K Ultra disc.

In doing so I reached out to those members to get their recommendations on the above ^^^.

Got some "Excellent" suggestions from a few of them and took their suggestions plus I also used "Widescreen Review" Magazines as they also rate the 4K Ultra disc for "Immersive" Atmos content.

Thanks to,

Brother Dan as he got me Fired-Up so I continued to add more 4K Ultra disc after his Excellent recommendations.

Below are the 4K Ultra disc I ordered and they are on the way as I type this post.

And Thanks to my H/T Super-Close-Buddy, Tom Cochran in San Antonio, TX. I have the ones below he sent me as Gifts.

I think I am getting this Mini 4K Ultra library with some outstanding material for when I do get the six (6) Triad in-ceiling speakers for adding Atmos.
Hoping to place that order this next month (March 2020) if all goes well.

Terry
BP1Fanatic likes this.
post #462 of 472 Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 334
FYI, the site blu-ray.com is an excellent source of info. Sometimes their info can be wrong. I usually [email protected]@k at the picture of the front and back of the disc case. Check their forum to read what their members are stating. It contains audio and video reviews as well as pricing deals. Their app is a great way to catalog and keep track of your growing media library. So as to not make a double purchase of a title you already own. I use it to keep track of over 2,000 titles in my media library. Movies, documentaries, TV shows and music concerts. It also is an excellent way to keep track of when you last watched a particular movie. As well as listing the fine details under the comments section of a particular title. For instance, I like to post within the comments section of a title. The final settings, like maybe volume level, DSP Mode, etc. Here’s a couple examples.HDR, Atmos 7.2.4, Vol -10.0 or DTS Neural X 7.2.4, vol -12.5, Or Dolby Digital 5.1, vol -17.0 This way the next time I watch a particular title. All I have to do is dial in the previous settings and enjoy. Don’t have to keep making adjustments. Enjoy......

I watched Fury 4K UHD disc last night. VERY nice Atmos Mix. Also both Pacific Rim movies are both a treat for the eye and ear.

You can also search by titles that contain Atmos audio.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/searc...&action=search
tigerhonaker likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 02-17-2020 at 01:55 PM.
post #463 of 472 Old 02-17-2020, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
FYI, the site blu-ray.com is an excellent source of info. Sometimes their info can be wrong. I usually [email protected]@k at the picture of the front and back of the disc case. Check their forum to read what their members are stating. It contains audio and video reviews as well as pricing deals. Their app is a great way to catalog and keep track of your growing media library. So as to not make a double purchase of a title you already own. I use it to keep track of over 2,000 titles in my media library. Movies, documentaries, TV shows and music concerts. It also is an excellent way to keep track of when you last watched a particular movie. As well as listing the fine details under the comments section of a particular title. For instance, I like to post within the comments section of a title. The final settings, like maybe volume level, DSP Mode, etc. Here’s a couple examples.HDR, Atmos 7.2.4, Vol -10.0 or DTS Neural X 7.2.4, vol -12.5, Or Dolby Digital 5.1, vol -17.0 This way the next time I watch a particular title. All I have to do is dial in the previous settings and enjoy. Don’t have to keep making adjustments. Enjoy......

I watched Fury 4K UHD disc last night. VERY nice Atmos Mix. Also both Pacific Rim movies are both a treat for the eye and ear.

You can also search by titles that contain Atmos audio.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/searc...&action=search
LNEWoLF,

I do use blu-ray.com some along with Amazon and "Wide Screen Review" magazine.
And of course here on AVS that members comment on the movies.

I do hope we can get the Atmos System Project started this next month.
Meaning, at least get the order placed for it.

Terry
post #464 of 472 Old 02-19-2020, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Triad in-ceiling 6 speaker locations measured ..........

Guys,

Charles and Jason met at the house this morning early.
Today was the day for measuring the H/T ceiling for the 6 in-ceiling, Triad, "Custom Repeat Gold Mini Monitor Plus" locations.
I can tell you that after actually seeing in person what actually really takes place.
It's mind boggling guys to a layman.
Jason has built houses so he has the instant ability in his mind to picture what's above the H/T ceiling.
Seriously, and I do mean, Seriously, my suggestion is make doggone sure your dealing with professionals guys.
This might seem easy as all get out but it's the furthest thing from that when you see and listen to what really takes place.

Now Charles is going to do a new drawing with the actual placements of the 6 in-ceiling speakers locations and E-Mailing that to Steve Colburn at Triad to get his feedback ???

I think I will hear back from Charles sometime next week assuming Steve is at Triad and not traveling to events/shows etc.
That will either confirm that they are in the right positions and will work as they should or what Steve then recommends ???

Also, Charles did let Jason jump in and change out the 2-ROKU Streaming Devices.
So I now have the latest 2019 ROKU ULTRA for all streaming.
He is quick ............

I'm getting or should I say allowing myself to get more and more excited as time is getting a lot closer guys.

Terry
post #465 of 472 Old 02-19-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
When you selected the Triad Gold Mini Monitors for your Atmos speaker system, what was the goal of the system? Was it timbre matching with your Focals? Or was it simply getting the highest resolution in-ceiling speakers available? Or, maybe some other set of priorities? Where you able to hear them before making the decision? Triad has never released any measurements of the Gold Mini Monitors, (or any of their other speakers, for that matter), so you couldn't really review measurements to verify their sound signature. I'm just curious how you decided on Triad's for your Atmos speakers.

Are you considering Triad speakers for any of your mains and/or surrounds?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System
post #466 of 472 Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
When you selected the Triad Gold Mini Monitors for your Atmos speaker system, what was the goal of the system? Was it timbre matching with your Focals? Or was it simply getting the highest resolution in-ceiling speakers available? Or, maybe some other set of priorities? Where you able to hear them before making the decision? Triad has never released any measurements of the Gold Mini Monitors, (or any of their other speakers, for that matter), so you couldn't really review measurements to verify their sound signature. I'm just curious how you decided on Triad's for your Atmos speakers.

Are you considering Triad speakers for any of your mains and/or surrounds?

Craig
Craig,

I'm thinking you might have seen and read the earlier Post below,
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59114246

That ^^^ Post covers everything in Great-Detail and "Nothing" has been Edited-Out/Changed/Altered in anyway.

But, let me give this a shot on your questions and please keep in mind I can only reply the way I text not like other AVS Members ???

(1) When you selected the Triad Gold Mini Monitors for your Atmos speaker system, what was the goal of the system?

I said to Charles that I want the Triad in-ceiling speakers to come as close as possible to my current, Focal/JML Utopias.
I also in that discussion said, Charles, (Let's see what this will cost if you tell Steve C. to set All-Cost-Aside)
In other words Charles, to be sure your following me buddy, (I want to know what Steve C. would recommend with Cost Not even entering into his recommendations)
Also, Charles, (Ask Steve C. if it turns-out his 1st No-Cost-Recommendation is just so overly expensive then what)

(2) Was it timbre matching with your Focals?

Yes, that's what was told to Charles by me and told to Steve C. & Jim Laughlin as a Priority.
Match the Triad speakers to the Focal/JML Utopia's as close as possible.
(Steve & Jim had the complete list of specifications to All my Focal/JML Utopia speakers)

(3) Or was it simply getting the highest resolution in-ceiling speakers available?

Craig, A Biggggg YES on the above I was hoping that just maybe I could afford them, maybe.
As it turned-out I could and also another thing as a Married guy for Plus 35-Years to Cathy, she Signed-Off on the project.
Keep in mind buddy I'm already 74 and June 75 so in my situation I want to do and have everything in my reach.
(No-Children in the USA and none left in Vietnam)
So, the way we feel, Cathy & I, money is for having and enjoying the things we want while we still can.

(4) Or, maybe some other set of priorities?

Well I think the ^^^ above says all about the other buddy ^^^.

(5) Where you able to hear them before making the decision?

I have never-ever even seen a Triad speaker of any kind in person.
Only lots & lots & lots of videos in the Home Theater on the 123" 16x9 screen.
And reading everything I could find using Google-Search etc. and buddy believe me that was a Lottttttttttttttt
Being retired I can spend as much time as I wish researching anything I'm wanting "Before" a decision is made like going with Triad.
When I say I spent hours in actual reality, I spent days, weeks, months and sometimes 12-hours a day doing that.
I even went and did searches on Steve Colburn and his complete work history.
He has been around and there is No-Doubt in this guy's mind that Steve knows his stuff including the Triad line of speakers.
I took the time Craig to read customer comments on every thread on every internet site I could find.
And as you already know with your Vast-Experience we are talking about thousands & thousands of comments.
I don't spend the monies this is going to cost and not have been assured I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

I think I would like to now cover something you have not asked about in your post to you and of course anyone that's interested.
Now that Charles & Jason have done the Exact-Speaker-Locations the real question is to ?Steve? will they work/perform as they should ???
I say the ^^^ above as my H/T is simply nothing more than a Bonus room over the 2 1/2 car garage below.
So, the exact placement of the six Triad speakers is now known and as in many already constructed H/T rooms those locations are NOT perfect !!!
But, Charles thinks they will work and is going to reach out to Steve C. to see if he agrees now that we do know where they would actually be mounted ???

(6) Are you considering Triad speakers for any of your mains and/or surrounds?

I am not even remotely considering changing the current Focal/JML Utopias.
They are the stuff and to me as well as everyone else that have been in the H/T.
Never-Ever has even 1-negative comment about how they sound and perform.
(Including Chad B. that did both my Audio & Video Custom-Calibrations)

(7) Triad has never released any measurements of the Gold Mini Monitors, (or any of their other speakers, for that matter), so you couldn't really review measurements to verify their sound signature.

Sadly, your right so in my case I have put my Faith in Steve Colburn & Jim Laughlin at Triad for their combined knowledge.
And of course Charles "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" that we have a very-very long history with one another.

(8) I'm just curious how you decided on Triad's for your Atmos speakers.

I think the most straight forward way for me to answer ^^^that is.
I haven't really seen where any other speaker manufacturer even comes close to Triad and the way Steve & Jim have worked so close with Charles.
Even Charles has commented to me multiple times how impressed he is with Triad's support to him as a dealer.

Note*
I am in the process right now of replacing All 4 of my current Mirage BPS 400 Subs.
That will take place at the same time "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" does the Triad in-ceiling speaker Atmos system.
I'm going with four (4) of the SVS PB-3000 Subs.
And yes I have spent more hours than any normal person would even remotely consider doing on researching them.
They are the Stuff !!!
My reason's,
Footprint-Weight-Overall performance-Excellent pricing-looks (Black Ash NON-Reflective) latest Digital Processing etc.
Also when I really got into the research I soon found out that the SVS PB-3000 Subs came really close to the Performance of the SVS PB-4000 series
And in the frequency ranges most heard the PB-3000 "Exceeded" the PB-4000.

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-3000

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...10.YrD2E9Wyxl0

Just to make sure 100% all of us are on the same page guys.
Nothing concrete has actually taken place yet and will not until sometime around the middle of March 2020.
(Of course I have to confirm the monies side of all this)

Terry
post #467 of 472 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Craig,

I'm thinking you might have seen and read the earlier Post below,
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59114246

That ^^^ Post covers everything in Great-Detail and "Nothing" has been Edited-Out/Changed/Altered in anyway.

But, let me give this a shot on your questions and please keep in mind I can only reply the way I text not like other AVS Members ???

(1) When you selected the Triad Gold Mini Monitors for your Atmos speaker system, what was the goal of the system?

I said to Charles that I want the Triad in-ceiling speakers to come as close as possible to my current, Focal/JML Utopias.
I also in that discussion said, Charles, (Let's see what this will cost if you tell Steve C. to set All-Cost-Aside)
In other words Charles, to be sure your following me buddy, (I want to know what Steve C. would recommend with Cost Not even entering into his recommendations)
Also, Charles, (Ask Steve C. if it turns-out his 1st No-Cost-Recommendation is just so overly expensive then what)
Hi Terry,

I don't know if you're interested in any outside input, but I will share an anecdote with you that I found quite educational:

Two nights ago, I watched Gladiator in 4K with DTS:X soundtrack. I have a 9.3.4 Atmos/DTS:X system. (The link in my signature has not been updated to show the 4K/Atmos upgrade I did a while back. I can describe the upgrade if you're interested.) I have seen this movie many times in lower resolution and lower level soundtracks. The improvement in both audio and video was substantial. The DTS:X audio was much more immersive and enveloping, and the overall soundtrack was much more cohesive. Afterwards, I wondered to myself how much was actually contributed by the overhead speakers.

To answer this question for myself, I restarted the disc, but I turned off all the amps EXCEPT the amp driving the 4 overhead speakers, (including the amps for my subs.) This allowed me to hear exactly... and ONLY... what the overhead speakers were contributing to the mix. I specifically watched the opening battle scene in Germainia with the arrows flying and the fireballs hitting the trees, etc. During my first viewing of the movie, I was specifically listening for the added directional ques from the overheads, and I had heard them specifically. Listening with JUST the overheads was quite interesting. The SPL's were quite a bit lower than the overall soundtrack, I would guess by 10 or 12 dB. Most of what was in the overhead speakers was just lower level ambiance and "atmospheric" content. There was some musical content that was intended to increase ambiance, but it was not nearly as loud or directional as the musical content in the mains. Even though there were some extremely brief moments that were a little louder, they still never reached the SPL's hit by the mains. These brief moments were primarily the directional cues that caused the arrows and fireballs to seem like they were flying overhead. However, it was quite clear that these sounds were not full bandwidth or full SPL. They were just loud enough to provide directionality.

After performing this little demonstration for myself, I thought of you. I thought to myself: "If I had paid $26,000 to get THAT, I surely would feel like I massively overspent on my Atmos upgrade." Suffice it to say that this little demo proved to me that these signals don't require "cost no object" or "high resolution" or "high output" speakers. All that's really required is speakers that provide mostly midrange output, and some directional cues when called for. Also, while it's nice if they timbre-match, excellent results could certainly be obtained with a less than perfect timbre-match.

Now, I realize by your responses to my other questions, that you want the *BEST* system possible and you're willing to spend the money to get it. And that is perfectly fine. I'm sure the Triad Gold Mini Monitors will fulfill the requirements with ease. However, before you commit to this large expenditure, I would like to suggest that you try to find an Atmos/DTS:X system and then repeat my little demonstration. Turn off everything EXCEPT the overheads, and listen to just what comes out of them. If you still think you need $26K worth of speakers, amps cabling, etc.... please... go for it, buddy!

Have fun and enjoy.

Craig
Jive Turkey and tigerhonaker like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System
post #468 of 472 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Hi Terry,

I don't know if you're interested in any outside input, but I will share an anecdote with you that I found quite educational:

Two nights ago, I watched Gladiator in 4K with DTS:X soundtrack. I have a 9.3.4 Atmos/DTS:X system. (The link in my signature has not been updated to show the 4K/Atmos upgrade I did a while back. I can describe the upgrade if you're interested.) I have seen this movie many times in lower resolution and lower level soundtracks. The improvement in both audio and video was substantial. The DTS:X audio was much more immersive and enveloping, and the overall soundtrack was much more cohesive. Afterwards, I wondered to myself how much was actually contributed by the overhead speakers.

To answer this question for myself, I restarted the disc, but I turned off all the amps EXCEPT the amp driving the 4 overhead speakers, (including the amps for my subs.) This allowed me to hear exactly... and ONLY... what the overhead speakers were contributing to the mix.
I specifically watched the opening battle scene in Germainia with the arrows flying and the fireballs hitting the trees, etc. During my first viewing of the movie, I was specifically listening for the added directional ques from the overheads, and I had heard them specifically. Listening with JUST the overheads was quite interesting. The SPL's were quite a bit lower than the overall soundtrack, I would guess by 10 or 12 dB. Most of what was in the overhead speakers was just lower level ambiance and "atmospheric" content. There was some musical content that was intended to increase ambiance, but it was not nearly as loud or directional as the musical content in the mains. Even though there were some extremely brief moments that were a little louder, they still never reached the SPL's hit by the mains. These brief moments were primarily the directional cues that caused the arrows and fireballs to seem like they were flying overhead. However, it was quite clear that these sounds were not full bandwidth or full SPL. They were just loud enough to provide directionality.

After performing this little demonstration for myself, I thought of you. I thought to myself: "If I had paid $26,000 to get THAT, I surely would feel like I massively overspent on my Atmos upgrade." Suffice it to say that this little demo proved to me that these signals don't require "cost no object" or "high resolution" or "high output" speakers. All that's really required is speakers that provide mostly midrange output, and some directional cues when called for. Also, while it's nice if they timbre-match, excellent results could certainly be obtained with a less than perfect timbre-match.

Now, I realize by your responses to my other questions, that you want the *BEST* system possible and you're willing to spend the money to get it. And that is perfectly fine. I'm sure the Triad Gold Mini Monitors will fulfill the requirements with ease.
However, before you commit to this large expenditure, I would like to suggest that you try to find an Atmos/DTS:X system and then repeat my little demonstration. Turn off everything EXCEPT the overheads, and listen to just what comes out of them. If you still think you need $26K worth of speakers, amps cabling, etc.... please... go for it, buddy!

Have fun and enjoy.

Craig
Hi Craig,

I'm glad we (Me & You) can simply post to one another and neither of us feel as though either is being (Slighted).

Regarding what I have marked in Purple.

Quote:
To answer this question for myself, I restarted the disc, but I turned off all the amps EXCEPT the amp driving the 4 overhead speakers, (including the amps for my subs.) This allowed me to hear exactly... and ONLY... what the overhead speakers were contributing to the mix.
I fully get and understand what you are saying and sharing on the above ^^^
I'm not even remotely surprised after all the in-depth research I have done on Atmos for years now "Before" making the decision to add it.

Quote:
Now, I realize by your responses to my other questions, that you want the *BEST* system possible and you're willing to spend the money to get it. And that is perfectly fine. I'm sure the Triad Gold Mini Monitors will fulfill the requirements with ease.
That's correct ^^^ and that's why I'm willing to foot the extra cost for this Atmos System.
Also, from what I have read and that's been a lot ............
I'm of the "Opinion" that Atmos is going to keep on improving with time.
And if it does I'll already be 100% set no-matter how much of an improvement is made over time.
My thinking is ..........
Pay once and don't ever have to question one's self later about why in the world I didn't go with what I 1st considered.

Thanks for all your in-put for sure and if your even remotely wondering if I really paid close attention ???
Yes, Craig, I have and even read what you said multiple times to make doggone sure I didn't overlook anything.

Terry
post #469 of 472 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up I have the answer now on the "Correct" placement of the 6 Triad in-ceiling speakers

Guys,

I really don't need to elaborate on what you will see below I just received from Charles at

It is concerning what Steve Colburn at had to say to Charles on the Triad 6 in-ceiling exact locations installs with exact measurements.

Thank-Goodness all is A-OK !!!

-----Original Message-----
To: 'tigerhonaker' <[email protected]>
Sent: Fri, Feb 21, 2020 11:14 am
Subject: Steve Colburn

Hi Terry,

Just a follow up on the question to Steve C.

Steve called me yesterday evening to review my questions regarding the spacing of the Atmos Speakers as shown on the sketch I sent him. First off – they will absolutely work! While each room/installation is different in many ways, the placement comes to what is best for the listening area to be considered. Because we will install the speakers with the Tweeter to the outside of the spacing left and right; and because those tweeters will be to the right of your right ear and to the left of Cathy’s ear, they will accomplish their desired effect. Wider separation would be beneficial if the primary seating was wider, But that is not the case here! So Steve is confident to recommend the speakers be installed as Jayson and I laid them out the other day.

Also the answer to placing the right 3 speakers farther to the right was a NO!! As I expected. And box speakers hung from the ceiling? UN-necessary!

So Terry – you can rest this weekend with confidence!!

Thanks again!

Charles Dyck

Wolf Hill Technologies Inc

615-626-1808

https://wolfhilltechnologies.com/

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.
post #470 of 472 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi Terry,

I'm happy to read that the location of your future Atmos speakers is going to be okay. After all the work you put into this project I am sure you are relieved.

What with both Atmos AND four new subwoofers coming you are going to have a very exciting and fun couple of months ahead.

Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.

7.2.4 / TV: Sony XBR-85X900F / Mains: B&W 2 x 702 S2 + HTM71 S2 / Surrounds: 4 x 706 S2 / Atmos: 4 x SVS Prime Elevation on-ceiling / Subs: JL Audio Fathom f113 v.2 / Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H 13-ch / Amp for LCR: Rotel RMB-1585 5-ch, 200W-ch / BD Player: Oppo UDP-203 4K / Turntable: Revox B790 / DirecTV + Roku Ultra 4K / Power: Furman Elite-15 Pfi / Fans: 2 x AC Infinity Aircom T10 / Blackout Curtain: Electric w/remote / Ethernet: Netgear
post #471 of 472 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 5325 Post(s)
Liked: 4284
Terry: You are going to do what you are going to do but I totally agree with Craig Gassman. I have done the identical test he did. I have about $50,000 in speakers in my room and $750 invested in my 6 ceiling speakers. And I challenge you, your integrator or Triad to tell me that these speakers don't more than provide all of the necessary elements necessary for providing an amazing 3D audio landscape.

You don't use a $50,000 amp to drive your speakers, which I am sure is better than the one you currently use. You use a great and more than adequate amp to power your speakers. Yet you are willing to spend 20 times what is necessary to provide a cohesive 3D soundscape in your room. Spend a day and come listen to my system (I'll buy lunch) and then decide if you really need to spend what you are considering for your Atmos installation. If you were to spend some of what you are considering spending for your Atmos speakers but instead spend for the best processor on the planet, and buy appropriately priced ceiling speakers, you will have money in your pocket AND have a much, much, much better sounding room. I promise!!

Terry: As I reread this, it sounds a bit like I am bashing you. That is not my intention. I have been in the audio business on and off for over 40 years. I have had a full blown theater since 1991. I have been in numerous theaters since the advent of 3D audio and have calibrated many, many Atmos theaters. And I can positively assure you that it is both unnecessary and certainly not the best use of your financial resources to over spend on height speakers. While they are critical to getting the benefits of 3D audio, by setting appropriate crossovers (high enough), they don't need a lot of power handling capability, they don't need to be particularly efficient, and they most certainly don't need to be expensive. The do need to have reasonable polar response/wide dispersion and some of that can be obtained by an "aim-able tweeter". And I'm most certainly not trying to get you to purchase the same speakers I have. There are just many options that will more than exceed the requirements of height speakers that are very reasonably priced. I have no doubt that both your integrator and Triad are trying to do the right.

I promise this will be my last post on this subject. It is your room. It is your money and you get to decide how you want to allocate it. I have no doubt that when all is said and done, you will enjoy what Atmos brings to the table --- BUT, and for the last time, you don't need to spend ANYWHERE near what you are planning on spending to more than adequately bring that level of enjoyment to your theater.

Over and out !!

Last edited by audioguy; Today at 03:14 AM.
post #472 of 472 Old Today, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Terry: You are going to do what you are going to do but I totally agree with Craig Gassman. I have done the identical test he did. I have about $50,000 in speakers in my room and $750 invested in my 6 ceiling speakers. And I challenge you, your integrator or Triad to tell me that these speakers don't more than provide all of the necessary elements necessary for providing an amazing 3D audio landscape.

You don't use a $50,000 amp to drive your speakers, which I am sure is better than the one you currently use. You use a great and more than adequate amp to power your speakers. Yet you are willing to spend 20 times what is necessary to provide a cohesive 3D soundscape in your room. Spend a day and come listen to my system (I'll buy lunch) and then decide if you really need to spend what you are considering for your Atmos installation. If you were to spend some of what you are considering spending for your Atmos speakers but instead spend for the best processor on the planet, and buy appropriately priced ceiling speakers, you will have money in your pocket AND have a much, much, much better sounding room. I promise!!

Terry: As I reread this, it sounds a bit like I am bashing you. That is not my intention. I have been in the audio business on and off for over 40 years. I have had a full blown theater since 1991. I have been in numerous theaters since the advent of 3D audio and have calibrated many, many Atmos theaters. And I can positively assure you that it is both unnecessary and certainly not the best use of your financial resources to over spend on height speakers. While they are critical to getting the benefits of 3D audio, by setting appropriate crossovers (high enough), they don't need a lot of power handling capability, they don't need to be particularly efficient, and they most certainly don't need to be expensive. The do need to have reasonable polar response/wide dispersion and some of that can be obtained by an "aim-able tweeter". And I'm most certainly not trying to get you to purchase the same speakers I have. There are just many options that will more than exceed the requirements of height speakers that are very reasonably priced. I have no doubt that both your integrator and Triad are trying to do the right.

I promise this will be my last post on this subject. It is your room. It is your money and you get to decide how you want to allocate it. I have no doubt that when all is said and done, you will enjoy what Atmos brings to the table --- BUT, and for the last time, you don't need to spend ANYWHERE near what you are planning on spending to more than adequately bring that level of enjoyment to your theater.

Over and out !!
Hey Chuck,

I can and do see why you said, (Terry: As I reread this, it sounds a bit like I am bashing you.)

It did read like you were a 1st Sergeant in the Military.

Hey my Good-Man No-Worries at all on you jumping in and saying (Matter-of-Factly) exactly as you see things with me and adding Atmos.
I'm way-way past getting All-Torn-Up over discussing A/V preferences as well as discussing Performance cars.

After carefully, slowly reading your post above I'm going to reply to the way I see things.

For those on this AVS Internet Site that are not into performance cars my comments more than likely will fall on deaf/puzzled-ears.

To me Chuck it's like me ordering the Audi RS-3 I have.
I could have just as easily and far more Less-Expensive went with either a New 2019 Audi A-3 or the Audi S-3.
But .............
Even though any of those choices would have done what really needed to be done.
(Meaning ^^^ transportation)
I wanted the Audi RS-3 and was willing to foot the much-much more expensive cost of it.

Same exact thing in my mind to the Atmos thing.
It's not that after me researching the Atmos for years now that I'm not aware that it could certainly be done for Far-Far-Far Less.

But guys ............

I want what I want and by me doing it My-Way I'll Never-Ever have any 2ND Thoughts and or Regrets.

Also, if any of you agree with me or not ???
It would be a very-very boring world if everyone of us did the exact same thing and we all thought exactly the same way.
What makes this AVS Internet Site exciting is that there are a few of us that will do things that the greater majority simply wouldn't.

And if anyone seeing and reading this post thinks that my way is Crazy, Deplorable, Ridiculous, Pathetic, and a total Waste-of-Money.
Then, guys, don't do it My-Way do it ............ Your-Way and All of Us will be Happy.

I like bringing to this site something occasionally different.
Something that maybe in some other members minds think ???
Doing Atmos the way that Terry is just seems to be so much a waste of funds but ..........
If I wasn't so "Overly-Cautious" I'd like to do something like he is doing just because I could and forget about the overall cost.
It doesn't really make sense but what the heck we only get to go through this Life one time so "Why-Not".
Obviously he is not remotely concerned over the cost so I'm going to keep an eye on his Thread and see how things turn-out for his Atmos project.
It might be FUN to come back after it's all done and Terry says, man guys this Atmos thing is Truly-Amazing !!!
Or he might come back and say, well guys it does all work but as the Atmos technology is currently.
Looks like I'll be waiting for it to improve a lot before I can Post that I think it's "Incredible".

Lastly, AVS Members and Guest, just keep or try to open your minds and get a smile that there is a guy willing to do something his way even though you wouldn't.

It's all good fellows on this end,
Terry Honaker aka tigerhonaker on the World-Wide-Web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page