tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 181Likes

post #31 of 405 Old 08-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Terry

I was asking for your wall width, was trying to figure out how much space was on each side of your screen. Looking at a similar size screen for my wall which is 13' or 18' depending on which wall I use.

Dennis

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 405 Old 08-18-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
Terry

I was asking for your wall width, was trying to figure out how much space was on each side of your screen. Looking at a similar size screen for my wall which is 13' or 18' depending on which wall I use.

Dennis
This is a great thread - I appreciate the time you are taking to document what you're doing.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
tigerhonaker likes this.

To Hell with Georgia...
post #33 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Don't take my word for it, take Dolby's -

" You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall. "

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html

That said, my surrounds are mounted pretty high, but I'm still running everything as DTS NEO:X .

Note that they are talking about modules that sit on top of speakers to produce a faux Atmos sound. So disregard the comment about Atmos modules at half ceiling height.
@tigerhonaker your surrounds should be at or slightly above ear height and to the side or slightly behind the listening position. Ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, from what I have found should be in line with your L/R speakers (if your L/R speakers are either behind your screen or very close to screen edge) or slightly closer to the center of the room.

Are you planning in ceiling Atmos speakers or ceiling mounted?

I have six Procella in ceiling Atmos speakers. I can say one thing that will be very important is to not install the front Atmos row too close to the screen. Before I had six Atmos speakers, my front row of Atmos could actually sound like sound was emanating from the front speakers. Now that I have a middle row directly overhead Atmos effects above me sounds better.

Since you do not have two rows of seating four Atmos speakers will be perfect as long as the front row is not too close to the screen.

I am the same distance from screen to eyes (12.5 ft) as your room so I will give you my mounting distance. My ceiling height is 9’ 10”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
your surrounds should be at or slightly above ear height and to the side or slightly behind the listening position. Ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, from what I have found should be in line with your L/R speakers (if your L/R speakers are either behind your screen or very close to screen edge) or slightly closer to the centre of the room.
I have a narrow room, so different to Tiger's room, but my screen is wall to wall and left and right speakers are behind the screen next to each wall (toed in). I initially tried my ceiling Atmos speakers (7.2.4) in line with the L and R as per the Dolby home guidelines, but found that the effects appeared to just be moving up and down the walls (side surrounds are at around ear height). I then tried the front Atmos speakers in line with the centre point between the left and centre, and right and centre, as per the commercial guidelines, and found that worked better, so have now moved the rear Atmos speakers in as well. That means the Atmos speakers are now firing down over the seating area rather than the side aisles at the floor.

Now height sounds come more from above and appear more defined than before, so seems to work better than having them outside of the seating area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #35 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
Terry

Dennis
Dennis,

My sincere (Apology) buddy I should have just gave you the measurements instead of 2nd guessing why you were asking me.
I think I am getting a little paranoid when it comes to talking screen sizes these days.
In my case I want exactly what I have as it suits the room perfect and it's a Huge screen to us at the new distance of 12' 6" from it.
Another Major + IMO is when I do change/up-date to the more than likely JVC RS-4500 I can run it on the Lower to Medium Laser settings.
Which means I (Hope) no real noticeable Noise when actually watching a movie.

Here you go buddy,

(1) Width ….. 19' 7"

(2) Length …. 23' 9"

(3) Ceiling Height in the center portion is 9-Feet.

Oh my 123" 16x9 screen is in the (Center) of the room and the seating is also right in the (Center).

Give me a SHOUT any ole time and once again sorry about this late response to what you actually wanted to know.

Terry
post #36 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
I have a narrow room, so different to Tiger's room, but my screen is wall to wall and left and right speakers are behind the screen next to each wall (toed in). I initially tried my ceiling Atmos speakers (7.2.4) in line with the L and R as per the Dolby home guidelines, but found that the effects appeared to just be moving up and down the walls (side surrounds are at around ear height). I then tried the front Atmos speakers in line with the centre point between the left and centre, and right and centre, as per the commercial guidelines, and found that worked better, so have now moved the rear Atmos speakers in as well. That means the Atmos speakers are now firing down over the seating area rather than the side aisles at the floor.

Now height sounds come more from above and appear more defined than before, so seems to work better than having them outside of the seating area.

I completely agree. I placed my Atmos ceiling speakers closer to the center of the room since my room is only 14ft wide. I think Dolby needs to also specify that Atmos speakers should be at least 4’ from side walls if possible.

tigerhonaker likes this.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #37 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
This is a great thread - I appreciate the time you are taking to document what you're doing.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
My pleasure and believe me I will post with pictures as the changes take place.

Next change is this coming Wednesday morning when the techs arrive and their Manager over seeing the work per my Request.
(I know the owner of the Company)

Kirk (Mgr.) said it would be like a 4-hour job to complete.

I think the person that's going to maybe like my latest Brain-Storm is possibly Craig since he has the RS-4500 JVC.

Quote:
Note that they are talking about modules that sit on top of speakers to produce a faux Atmos sound. So disregard the comment about Atmos modules at half ceiling height.
@tigerhonaker your surrounds should be at or slightly above ear height and to the side or slightly behind the listening position.
Ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, from what I have found should be in line with your L/R speakers
(if your L/R speakers are either behind your screen or very close to screen edge) or slightly closer to the center of the room.

Are you planning in ceiling Atmos speakers or ceiling mounted?

I have six Procella in ceiling Atmos speakers. I can say one thing that will be very important is to not install the front Atmos row too close to the screen. Before I had six Atmos speakers, my front row of Atmos could actually sound like sound was emanating from the front speakers. Now that I have a middle row directly overhead Atmos effects above me sounds better.

Since you do not have two rows of seating four Atmos speakers will be perfect as long as the front row is not too close to the screen.

I am the same distance from screen to eyes (12.5 ft) as your room so I will give you my mounting distance.
My ceiling height is 9’ 10”.

I really-really Appreciate all your above information.
And yes I do read very-very Carefully what a member takes the time and effort to share with me.
You can see all my HT room in the last set of pictures above and there layout.
I have not yet heard from my A/V owner (Charles) on pricing or date of his techs to do the changes.
The Side-Surround-Speakers is one thing I want as perfect as possible and this time around they can be placed where they should.

I will have 4 Atmos Ceiling Speakers when the time comes.
I Do-Not know yet in regards to them being in ceiling Atmos speakers or ceiling mounted ???
I am leaning more to the Ceiling-Mounted where they can easily be Turned/Angled etc. to the Main listening area.
I do know that the Atmos speakers I go with are going to be as closely matched to my JML Utopia Speakers as possible.
I will spend the necessary monies for that and the 4-channel amp to power them like all my Classe' amps I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
I have a narrow room, so different to Tiger's room, but my screen is wall to wall and left and right speakers are behind the screen next to each wall (toed in). I initially tried my ceiling Atmos speakers (7.2.4) in line with the L and R as per the Dolby home guidelines, but found that the effects appeared to just be moving up and down the walls (side surrounds are at around ear height).
I then tried the front Atmos speakers in line with the centre point between the left and centre, and right and centre, as per the commercial guidelines, and found that worked better, so have now moved the rear Atmos speakers in as well.
That means the Atmos speakers are now firing down over the seating area rather than the side aisles at the floor.

Very interesting on placement of the Atmos ceiling speakers.
Oh, guys I will have 4 Atmos Ceiling Speakers when the time comes.
And that is more than likely going to be a very long time from now.
I want to pay as I go if that makes sense so I am accumulating monthly the Cash for the 2nd Major phase changes.

Terry
post #38 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
My pleasure and believe me I will post with pictures as the changes take place.

Next change is this coming Wednesday morning when the techs arrive and their Manager over seeing the work per my Request.
(I know the owner of the Company)

Kirk (Mgr.) said it would be like a 4-hour job to complete.

I think the person that's going to maybe like my latest Brain-Storm is possibly Craig since he has the RS-4500 JVC.

I really-really Appreciate all your above information.
And yes I do read very-very Carefully what a member takes the time and effort to share with me.
You can see all my HT room in the last set of pictures above and there layout.
I have not yet heard from my A/V owner (Charles) on pricing or date of his techs to do the changes.
The Side-Surround-Speakers is one thing I want as perfect as possible and this time around they can be placed where they should.

I will have 4 Atmos Ceiling Speakers when the time comes.
I Do-Not know yet in regards to them being in ceiling Atmos speakers or ceiling mounted ???
I am leaning more to the Ceiling-Mounted where they can easily be Turned/Angled etc. to the Main listening area.
I do know that the Atmos speakers I go with are going to be as closely matched to my JML Utopia Speakers as possible.
I will spend the necessary monies for that and the 4-channel amp to power them like all my Classe' amps I have.

Very interesting on placement of the Atmos ceiling speakers.
Oh, guys I will have 4 Atmos Ceiling Speakers when the time comes.
And that is more than likely going to be a very long time from now.
I want to pay as I go if that makes sense so I am accumulating monthly the Cash for the 2nd Major phase changes.

Terry

Cash is king. That is the way I built my theater over the years. I was lucky enough to work overseas for some years with my wife and kids and that allowed for the major remodel of the house which created the space needed for the theater room and additional game room.

Each year I add or upgrade something after saving up the cash.

tigerhonaker likes this.

post #39 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Cash is king. That is the way I built my theater over the years. I was lucky enough to work overseas for some years with my wife and kids and that allowed for the major remodel of the house which created the space needed for the theater room and additional game room.

Each year I add or upgrade something after saving up the cash.

farsider3000,

Well I'm now 73 yrs old so I'm a lot calmer than I was in my earlier years that's for sure.
When I do change things in the HT I like to do it as right as I can for the monies I can actually afford.
I don't do things on the Cheap that's for sure but I doggone sure ain't in the Rich & Famous crowd.
Also regarding the HT my wife (Cathy) is in 100% on all of it.
We didn't have children our choice so it's the two of us and the HT is where we love spending our time.
She is 9-yrs younger than me so she still works where I retired back in 2008.
We both are really looking forward to the changes coming to the HT even though it is going to take a long time.

T.
post #40 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

farsider3000,

Well I'm now 73 yrs old so I'm a lot calmer than I was in my earlier years that's for sure.
When I do change things in the HT I like to do it as right as I can for the monies I can actually afford.
I don't do things on the Cheap that's for sure but I doggone sure ain't in the Rich & Famous crowd.
Also regarding the HT my wife (Cathy) is in 100% on all of it.
We didn't have children our choice so it's the two of us and the HT is where we love spending our time.
She is 9-yrs younger than me so she still works where I retired back in 2008.
We both are really looking forward to the changes coming to the HT even though it is going to take a long time.

T.

The good news is that you already have a great theater! And just by moving your seats closer it created a new experience for you. I look forward to see how your theater progresses.

tigerhonaker likes this.

post #41 of 405 Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Red face

Quote:
The good news is that you already have a great theater! And just by moving your seats closer it created a new experience for you. I look forward to see how your theater progresses.

I appreciate your kind thoughts.
Hang around and see what's coming next.

Your right once the seating was changed it is a totally different viewing experience.
What I'm really wanting to see and then experience is when the Screen is Dropped to like the 16" or so from the floor.
(It's approximately 31-inches from the floor now to the White area)
Not that's going to be Killer I think !!!

T.
post #42 of 405 Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Apologies if I've missed it - is the 123" diagonal or width?
post #43 of 405 Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Apologies if I've missed it - is the 123" diagonal or width?
Hi Bob,

123" Diagonal buddy.

What's really nice about it is the Remote 4-way masking for those 2.35 movies.
And with the seating right where it is the picture to Cathy & myself is Huge and even looks good with the Runco.
(Especially watching a Blu-ray in 1080p)
So, it will stay at the 12' 6" distance unless the seating might possibly need additional refining when the Side-Surround Speakers are mounted.
But I think I am really close right now to the new placement of those speakers.

Terry
post #44 of 405 Old 08-20-2018, 04:05 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Hi Bob,

123" Diagonal buddy.

What's really nice about it is the Remote 4-way masking for those 2.35 movies.
And with the seating right where it is the picture to Cathy & myself is Huge and even looks good with the Runco.
(Especially watching a Blu-ray in 1080p)
So, it will stay at the 12' 6" distance unless the seating might possibly need additional refining when the Side-Surround Speakers are mounted.
But I think I am really close right now to the new placement of those speakers.
Nice.
So when you were doing your seating tests were they with 2.35:1 movies? I see you've ended up around 40 degrees horizontal viewing angle, which the kind of ballpark I always seem to end up at when I try this (40-45degrees depending on seat recline), though a lot of folk like much closer.

I'm in awe of the 4way masking. I've just taken delivery of a 2 way (top/bottom) masking Screen Research acoustically transparent screen to be installed soon. 4 way would have been nicer, but would have cost me the entire budget for my room pretty much...! My prime concern was correct masking of 'scope, I might well add some curtains to mask the sides later if they bother me during small 16:9 shows.
post #45 of 405 Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Nice.
So when you were doing your seating tests were they with 2.35:1 movies? I see you've ended up around 40 degrees horizontal viewing angle, which the kind of ballpark I always seem to end up at when I try this (40-45degrees depending on seat recline), though a lot of folk like much closer.

I'm in awe of the 4way masking. I've just taken delivery of a 2 way (top/bottom) masking Screen Research acoustically transparent screen to be installed soon. 4 way would have been nicer, but would have cost me the entire budget for my room pretty much...! My prime concern was correct masking of 'scope, I might well add some curtains to mask the sides later if they bother me during small 16:9 shows.

I can tell you we are leaning the love-seat back some watching at the 12' 6" viewing distance to be looking at the Center-of-the-Screen.
However, I'm hoping once Jason (Tech) drops the screen from it's approximate 31" to White to the New 16" White viewing it's going to be a Huge difference.
(I don't really like leaning back but can put up with it until (Jason) Technician does his thing)
I'm just hoping with it dropped down it will be a lot closer to the Center with us viewing it sitting straight-up with not leaning back.
We are both looking forward to that taking place for sure.
Have not heard from my AV owner (Charles) yet on cost estimate or when work will be done.
I know they are really-really busy so it's not a big deal but looking forward to it for sure.

Speaking of the remote 4-way masking.
It is to me a great thing to have as it is very-very precise in moving the upper and lower panels to where you want them.
And once you pause the picture for the 2.35 size and do the panels it's exactly like your looking at a 2.35 screen as those panels are Black Velvet.
I do-not really exactly remember the cost of the screen but it was a very-very expensive item for sure.
Maybe like $8 to $10 thousand dollars US.
Of course we need to keep in mind that was a great many years ago so more than likely things like that now might very well be much cheaper, maybe.

Oh, before I forget …………
I/We were watching DVDs, Blu-ray DVDs, and Dish network which mainly was full-screen 16x9.
Speaking of the 12' 6" distance and how I arrived at it.
The 10' was way-way to close and with the current Runco normal Dish Network programming looked (Fuzzy) on some channels.
The older movies mainly ^^^
Plus, at 10' we were right on top it seemed to all the Front Speakers which personally I did not like at all.
Regardless of the picture quality !!!
When I kept inching the love seat back and testing the picture it ended up at the 12' 6" and then the picture on all Media was acceptable.
Old programming of course that close was not all that great but Tolerable to both of us once Cathy also viewed all Media sources.
The other thing I started looking at was where were all the speakers to the seating ???
Well once I settled on the New 12' 6" distance and I took my time and did the measuring of all speakers.
I soon learned I was almost right in the Middle of the Room.
And the actual distance from the Front speakers versus the Rear speakers is 1 foot.
I'm a foot closer to the front than the rear which is certainly close enough.
The automatic tuning can easily compensate for that small distance.
Also, when the big change comes where the 4 Atmos speakers will be installed they will be in a really great placement front to rear of seating.

I actually have the monies now to afford the JVC RS-4500 Laser projector as of this week.
I'm not doing it though because I want to see what does take place with the New Announcements at Cedia and the other place mentioned.
As you know already there's all the guessing on the forums so in a few weeks those guesses are going to turn into …….. Facts.
And I personally want to see what is going to be Announced.
And the reason I want to see Bob is not really because I care from the standpoint of changing from the RS4500.
It's to see if JVC announces something to do with the current RS4500 maybe then the B-Stock, Street-Pricing might come down.
And as far as I am concerned any further discounting would be Awesome.

Terry
bobof likes this.
post #46 of 405 Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Samsung HVAC Split-Unit inside Air-Handler (Relocated)

AVS Members & Guest,

Things are moving right along guys in the HT Phase #1 project.

Hiller Pluming & Heating was here yesterday from like 8:30 am until 4:00 pm.
I have done business with the Company for a lot of years and glad I switched to them from a small business here in Franklin.

Not any additional text/words needed as I made very specific notes on each picture which I think works out really well.
I will add this, if you can this is an excellent way to control the temperature in your Home Theaters guys and it is Super Quiet on Lowest-Fan-Speed.

Pictures below enjoy,

Terry
post #47 of 405 Old 08-23-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12850 Post(s)
Liked: 10486
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
With that closet back there have you thought about locating the 4500 in it. Then the heat and noise from the projector would be isolated from the room.
post #48 of 405 Old 08-23-2018, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
With that closet back there have you thought about locating the 4500 in it. Then the heat and noise from the projector would be isolated from the room.

Nope that would not really work buddy as that would put the RS4500 at an extreme angle.
Plus I can't imagine really even if that would work putting all that Heat inside a Closed Room.
Well actually the Heat would be coming out the (Front) but I don't think that would be a good choice.
As I think more about it since that Closet has really no cool air or circulation that would mean the 4500 would be pulling really Hot-Air into it.
Which I think would mean it would Automatically Ramp-Up it's Fan-Speed to High !!!

I think this should honestly work out really well.
Given what Craig has indicated with me having the 123" screen there is probably No-Reason for me to have to run it Full 100% Laser Power.
So given that's a Fact and I have no reason to doubt Craig I don't really think I'll hear it as it's pretty far behind us.

T.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-23-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #49 of 405 Old 08-23-2018, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12850 Post(s)
Liked: 10486
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Nope that would not really work buddy as that would put the RS4500 at an extreme angle.
Plus I can't imagine really even if that would work putting all that Heat inside a Closed Room.
Well actually the Heat would be coming out the (Front) but I don't think that would be a good choice.
As I think more about it since that Closet has really no cool air or circulation that would mean the 4500 would be pulling really Hot-Air into it.
Which I think would mean it would Automatically Ramp-Up it's Fan-Speed to High !!!

I think this should honestly work out really well.
Given what Craig has indicated with me having the 123" screen there is probably No-Reason for me to have to run it Full 100% Laser Power.
So given that's a Fact and I have no reason to doubt Craig I don't really think I'll hear it as it's pretty far behind us.

T.
I did not mean, just stick it back there. You obviously would have to vent the heat out of the closet and have a way to get return air into the closet. Would not be hard to do.
post #50 of 405 Old 08-24-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I did not mean, just stick it back there. You obviously would have to vent the heat out of the closet and have a way to get return air into the closet. Would not be hard to do.
I understand

Terry
post #51 of 405 Old 08-31-2018, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Estimate on relocating components has arrived ...

Latest,

Charles the owner of, Wolf Hill Technologies came to the house yesterday afternoon.
I have not seen him since way back in 2012 when they did the last major changes to the HT.
It was really nice to get to see what I consider a buddy more so than just a guy selling me.
We took our time and went over everything to be done and actually altered some of the 1st plans as we did some measuring.

What we did do as a Team
Was to fire-up the system and while Charles read the Runco operators manual I operated the Remote the hands-on more important part.
The reason we did this was 2-fold really ………..

(1) To find out just how Low the Runco could drop the picture from it's current position.
.... Well it turns out the Runco can only move the picture/image like 2 1/4 inches from it's current position.
.... That being the case the screen will definitely not be moved/lowered this time around.
.... If you recall for us to be looking at the Center-of-the-Screen it needs to Drop like 16-17 inches.
.... We looked up the Specifications on the JVC RS4500 and it can move the image 100% so based on my screen size we can drop the screen exactly where it needs to be.
(2) We also had Charles listen to the system for BASS content on watching the opening of the Blu-ray Super 8 movie where all the train wreck takes place.
.... As it turns out he thought the Bass sounds Awesome so the rear two (2) Mirage BPS400 subs will stay right where they are.
.... As the pictures showed the Front two (2) Mirage BPS 400 subs will be relocated to the left and right.

We also decided that the Left Front Mirage BPS 400 Sub will be relocated to match the right side.
In doing that it is then necessary to Switch the Front Classe' Amps with the JML speakers beside them.
That will be placing the JML speakers next to the Stewart Gray Hawk screen on it's Left & Right.
Moving the Classe' Amps to where the JML Front speakers are now located.
In doing this the Left Mirage BPS 400 Sub will (Not) then be Firing Directly at the Left-Front JML speaker.

I also got the name of the painter that Charles uses to do the Drywall & Painting when they do the Home Theaters.
So I now have that contact to get the HT completely painted in Non-Glare, Flat Black plus getting the Drywall repaired from moving things around.

Looks like I will be looking at a few weeks out for Jason (Lead Technician) and his Assistant to do the work.

This is Charles & Jason below back in 2012.
Jason on the Left & Charles on Right.

Here is Charles as of yesterday with his glasses on.

Picture below of the Latest Changes coming in a few weeks.

Terry
post #52 of 405 Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Surprise-Surprise to me and my wife the New JVC RS 4500 is coming ...

Up-Date,

I have waited to up-date this Thread for a few reasons.

(1) To make sure everything was totally confirmed with Mike at AVS on the purchase of the JVC RS4500 New (Demo).
That is now a totally completed deal and the unit is leaving AVS Home-Office in Rochester, New York today.
I will then receive the (Tracking) information.

(2) I wanted to get with the Owner of Wolf Hill Technologies (Charles) to Up-Date what he had previously quoted me on work.
I have now gotten his Revised Work-Order for cost except the JML Utopia, Center-Channel-Speaker being lowered.
That he cannot quote me a cost as that Stand will be Removed and taken to the Custom Cabinet Shop they use to Modify it.

I and my wife of now 35 years (Anniversary was on the 12th of this month) are Super THRILLED about this latest purchase.
Telling it like it is I have been talking on & off with her about this RS4500 projector for over a year now and once Mike Garrett contacted me this last time I knew right then I was in.
Just had to run the idea by Charles at Wolf Hill Technologies to make sure the two of us were A-OK with his guy (Jason) doing the install.
(Charles was 100% in on Jason doing the install)
Also since I am Married I sat down with Cathy (Wife) and explained in Great-Detail exactly what this was all about.
She was totally in and actually is Super Excited about this now going to take place.
(She has been concerned about the Runco going down and No-Way to repair it)
Especially since I also explained to her to pay for all the Home Theater changes that was definitely going to have to come from the Checking Account.
She did not even remotely waver and in-fact was still Excited and said once I hear back from Charles to get with Mike Garrett at AVS Sales and Confirm.

So, all this really changes for us is we will now be waiting for me to save the monies for the New Pre-Amp Processor, 4-K DVD Player, 4-Ceiling Atmos Speakers, Atmos 4-Channel Amp, wiring, and of course install.
Our mutual thinking was that the way our system currently sounds it is not really going to be a Big-Deal to wait.
Not like we have some poor excuse of an Audio System.
Plus, Craig on AVS has repeatedly stated that some Blu-ray movies look almost if not better than some 4K movies with the Up-Scaling of the RS4500.
So, all my monthly retirement monies will go into a Special Savings Account for Home Theater Gear/Components.

See pictures below guys that I have taken and the ones provided to me from Vendors.

Below pictures Charles and I did some measuring to confirm the RS4500 would easily fit in same location as current Runco.
In-Fact as it turns out there is very little difference in the two sizes of these projectors.
RS4500 is heavier but the Runco I had before this current one was also a heavier unit so No-Worries.

Next pictures were for looking at the Stand the JML Center Channel is Mounted on.
As I said above that stand will be Removed and taken to the Custom-Cabinet-Shop to be Cut/Shortened.
That's necessary guys so the Stewart Gray Hawk screen can be lowered 16-17 inches from it's current position.
Then we will be looking at the Center of the Screen and that is going to be KILLER without leaning back in the Love-Seat.

Sales Invoice from AVS Sales, Mike Garrett

Monies sent Next-Day-Air to AVS home office in Rochester, NY.

And below is the really-really Super Fun pictures guys.
All (Firmware) up-dates completed.
Also the actual (Demo) hours on the New JVC RS4500 (Hand-Picked) by JVC for Demo Use at the Home Office of AVS Sales in Rochester, NY.

As per my Request to Mike Garrett I wanted in writing the unit would be shipped on a Pallet for Extra-Protection.
Honestly I probably didn't really even need to do that Request because Mike is definitely on Top of his game but the Anal sort of guy I am I did.

What I didn't even want to take a chance on was it getting just maybe shipped ONLY in a Box like below.
Had one of my New Runco projectors come boxed like that and guess what ???
(Damaged and had to be Replaced)

Lastly something Charles and I both agreed on since I had the Samsung HVAC Split-Unit (Air-Carrier) relocated in the Home Theater.
I have an abundance of Cold-Air now where the RS4500 will go and also where all my A/V Components are located.
So we are going to install a Variable-Speed, Super-Quiet-Fan to pull Cold-Air into that Component Area.

Suncourt TW208P Thru Wall Fan Hardwired Variable Speed

https://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-TW208P-Hardwired-Variable-Speed/dp/B000JGSMUK

That's it for now guys until the JVC RS4500 arrives here at the house.
Then I was instructed by Charles to have it sat Carefully on one side of the garage floor and call him.
He is going to have his Technicians come by and Un-Box it and take it up to the Home Theater until they have time to install it.
Charles just contacted me and will get back to me next week on when Jason (Lead Technician & Assistant) will do the changes.

Terry
Mike Garrett and ARROW-AV like this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.
post #53 of 405 Old 09-22-2018, 10:50 AM
post #54 of 405 Old 09-22-2018, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Congratulations on your new projector purchase Terry!

Nigel

Well my good man it's an exciting time for us here waiting on the Huge Box with the RS4500 showing up soon.
Can't really give enough (Praise & Thanks) to Mike Garrett for keeping me in mind and contacting me on this unit.

Good times are on the way buddy,
Terry
ARROW-AV likes this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-22-2018 at 12:17 PM.
post #55 of 405 Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Congratulations Terry

Hi Terry,

Wow, congratulations to you and Cathy. It's great you got a good deal on that excellent projector so you won't have to wait until next year to do this major upgrade.

As you know, I just recently took the leap into 4K and HDR and to me it was definitely worth it for two reasons: First, some of the 4K material really is a significant improvement over 1080p; second, and in many ways even more important, the upscaling improvements for both 1080p blu-rays and normal TV programs (mostly 1080i) that my gear and your JVC projector can do makes a worthwhile, noticeable improvement for all the stuff we watch.

I anticipate that once you get the projector set-up I will be hearing a very happy voice over the phone.

You guys made a smart decision moving your seating closer to the 123-inch screen as you will now be able to take full advantage of the new gear. I'm even toying with replacing my almost new Sony 75-inch flatscreen TV with the new Sony 85-inch model for the same reason because with 4K and/or superior upscaling one can get the real movie theater experience by being closer or having a bigger screen.

You have laid out a great plan for making improvements to your already fantastic Home Theater. I like your lowering the screen to put your eyeballs in the center without having to lean back. Moving your side speakers forward will ensure you are not giving up anything in the sound department.

Also, moving your A/C unit to its new position will help keep the new projector cool and give your component rack a nice boost in cool air once you have that new fan installed.

Terry, you are going to be one happy camper when the install is complete. It really is fantastic that Mike Garrett could provide you with a demo unit with only 79 hours on it.

Let the good times roll buddy,

Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #56 of 405 Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Elegant;56859026]Hi Terry,

Wow, congratulations to you and Cathy. It's great you got a good deal on that excellent projector so you won't have to wait until next year to do this major upgrade.
I Thank-You kind Sir.

As you know, I just recently took the leap into 4K and HDR and to me it was definitely worth it for two reasons: First, some of the 4K material really is a significant improvement over 1080p; second, and in many ways even more important, the upscaling improvements for both 1080p blu-rays and normal TV programs (mostly 1080i) that my gear and your JVC projector can do makes a worthwhile, noticeable improvement for all the stuff we watch.
We my friend are on the same page for sure and I'm looking very forward to seeing 1st hand what HD 4K looks like.

I anticipate that once you get the projector set-up I will be hearing a very happy voice over the phone.
You might very well be right.

You guys made a smart decision moving your seating closer to the 123-inch screen as you will now be able to take full advantage of the new gear. I'm even toying with replacing my almost new Sony 75-inch flatscreen TV with the new Sony 85-inch model for the same reason because with 4K and/or superior upscaling one can get the real movie theater experience by being closer or having a bigger screen.
Yes I do think the 12' 6" distance is going to work out well for both of us.
Even when the RS4500 gets totally installed the distance is still going to work.
Reason being we are not going to be always watching HD or even 1080P material.
So, with the distance we are we can watch anything we wish and it looks just fine even Old-Westerns buddy like Gunsmoke.

You know when I actually think about the RS4500 this is what I really think.
We could be happy with the current Runco if the Company had not completely gone away.
What I think with the soon to be new replacement is it will simply be an improvement to what I have right now.
And when we do watch anything with the HD programming then of course we will totally enjoy having the Up-Graded 4K Laser Projector.

You have laid out a great plan for making improvements to your already fantastic Home Theater. I like your lowering the screen to put your eyeballs in the center without having to lean back. Moving your side speakers forward will ensure you are not giving up anything in the sound department.
This is going to us to be a Big Change my man when the screen is lowered to where we are looking at the Center of it without having to lean-back in the love-seat.
I'm thinking it will be like looking at a Huge 10 foot flat screen versus the way we look up at it now.

Also, moving your A/C unit to its new position will help keep the new projector cool and give your component rack a nice boost in cool air once you have that new fan installed.
Yes, I did get on top of the Extra HEAT that I have read so much already about with the RS4500 especially if it's on High-Laser.
My intention is to actually run it on High-Laser (All-the-Time) and I hope I can as I want the very best picture it has the ability to produce.
Especially when it's projecting an image on the 16x9 123" screen I have it should I believe be Totally Awesome.
And now with the Split-Unit air-handler relocated right beside the projector I think I might be able to control the room temperature to where it won't go to Turbo-Mode, maybe.
I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Terry, you are going to be one happy camper when the install is complete. It really is fantastic that Mike Garrett could provide you with a demo unit with only 79 hours on it.
Yes, Mike kept me and I imagine some others in mind when AVS let him know they were going to sale their New Hand-Selected (Demo) RS4500.
I didn't really bother to ask Mike but I'm comfortable that I was not singles-out to be the only person he told about it.
The important thing is I knew when I saw what he said concerning it I was in immediately.
This Laser Projector buddy will be with me Long-Term with me already being a ripe old age of 73 as I type this.
As we all know there will ALWAYS be something come down the pike that's newer, fancier, with added options but in my case this one will more than suffice.

Let the good times roll buddy,
Good times are on the way as I type this.
The JVC RS4500 as of Saturday was already in Ohio.
Have not had any further E-Mail up-dates on it today.
I might not actually hear or see any more information until I get a call to verify I'm at Home for Delivery.
And I won't be Surprised at all if that takes place soon.

Terry a Happy Camper,

Tom
post #57 of 405 Old 09-25-2018, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up Man talk about fast !!!

Guys,

Just now confirmed delivery of my JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.

Quote:
R+L Carriers Delivery Appointment Setup

Quote:
R+L Carriers has secured your merchandise and we are in the process of transporting it for delivery.
R+L Pro #: I297620262
Shipper: AV SCIENCE
Customer: TERRY HONAKER

1 Pc(s) Weight: 130 LBS
Frt Desc: 1 - JVC RS4500 DEMO UNIT
To expedite the process, we would like to set up an appointment date for delivery.
- Call our NASHVILLE, TN facility at 615-255-8293 -
Utilize Reference Pro-number I297620262
Below are the available days/time we can deliver your merchandise.
Wednesday 9/26/2018 between 11:00 AM-5:00 PM
Our Customer Service will work with you to coordinate a convenient window time for delivery.
Thank you very much.
R+L Carriers
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-25-2018 at 08:16 AM.
post #58 of 405 Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post The New Changes started this morning ...

Hello,

Guys as the title states the actual New Changes started this morning.

Jason the main technician for Wolf Hill Technologies came by real early this morning to get things started.
He removed the Stand completely from the JML Center Channel Speaker.
It will now go to the Custom Cabinet Shop to be Cut to the Lowest it can go.
Then the screen will be lowered down to the top of it.
It will be backed-up against the Black Velcro on the bottom of the screen.

Below are those pictures.

We placed a Black Towel Folded so it would be Tilted up some for the weekend.

Totally wrapped-up for protection while being transported.
(And of course it was pouring rain as it has been here for days)

And next came R&L Carriers with the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.
(Thank goodness he arrived in between the Rain)
The driver was Super Friendly and didn't mind at all me having him pause for the pictures.

As you can see below there is Zero Marks/Dents/Gouges or any Damage at all.

Last thing that took place this morning.
I placed the call to the painting contractor and they sent their guy to look to see what the project entailed.
He was a really nice guy and been in the business for like 12 years.
We went over everything that needed to be done and then discussed what his recommendations were.
I agreed with him that the correct way to do the Home Theater was to completely Repaint it all with at least two coats of Flat-Black.
I now will get a call from the owner on cost of work.

Terry
Mike Garrett likes this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-26-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #59 of 405 Old 09-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Great news, Terry!
The show is really on the road now.
Love how that JVC Bad Boy was packed, strapped, and bubble wrapped on a pallet.

It won't be long and your guys can lower that 123" screen, which will be a nice change.
Cool that you are now getting things going with the painter so that once Jason does his thing mounting the JVC and moving/rewiring the speakers that you will be ready for him to do the work.

I'll be interested in seeing photos of the work as it progresses. It will be strange for me to see your Home Theater in all black. Man, maybe one of these days once all the work is completed I can talk my brother into driving up again from San Antonio, Texas to see and listen to your new setup. I know that the improvements will be substantial compared to the last time I was there. If I can pull a trip off (maybe fly instead of drive) I would likely want to wait until you also have the Atmos installed.

Oh, I pulled the trigger today on trading in my 75" Sony TV for the new 85" model that just came out a few
months ago. My guess is that the install will take place in about two weeks. The good times are coming for both of us.

Oh, did the truck driver notice and say anything about that fantastic Yellow Hellcat of yours as he brought the projector into the garage?

Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #60 of 405 Old 09-26-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Smile

Elegant;56870622]Great news, Terry!
The show is really on the road now.
Love how that JVC Bad Boy was packed, strapped, and bubble wrapped on a pallet.
AVS in Rochester, NY. did excellent on that buddy.

It won't be long and your guys can lower that 123" screen, which will be a nice change.
Jason measured again this morning on dropping the screen.
He thinks it's really going to be nice once it's dropped.
Cool that you are now getting things going with the painter so that once Jason does his thing mounting the JVC and moving/rewiring the speakers that you will be ready for him to do the work.
Yes going to have to have the HT repainted and all the Drywall repaired from the holes that will be in it once Jason is done.
I should have a Firm price soon on that.

I'll be interested in seeing photos of the work as it progresses. It will be strange for me to see your Home Theater in all black.
I agree it's going to be a totally New-Look for sure in Flat-Black and that will be everything painted this time.

Man, maybe one of these days once all the work is completed I can talk my brother into driving up again from San Antonio, Texas to see and listen to your new setup. I know that the improvements will be substantial compared to the last time I was there. If I can pull a trip off (maybe fly instead of drive) I would likely want to wait until you also have the Atmos installed.
Well I was hoping maybe I would have the necessary monies a lot sooner to add the other Audio Components and Atmos.
Honestly that simply is not going to take place anytime soon.
I'm going to have to go into that, (HT Savings Account) as the HT painting project is like $2,000.00 dollars.
Not to forget the $5,000.00 approximately for Charles at, Wolf Hill Technologies.
This reminds me a lot of when we both were doing the Muscle Car thing and it's Cost.

You would not want to make that trip until I can get the rest of this HT project completed buddy.

Oh, I pulled the trigger today on trading in my 75" Sony TV for the new 85" model that just came out a few
months ago. My guess is that the install will take place in about two weeks. The good times are coming for both of us.
Well in a few weeks there will be a Bad-Boy Sony 4K 85" Flat-Screen in your HT.
That's going to be so Killer !!!

Oh, did the truck driver notice and say anything about that fantastic Yellow Hellcat of yours as he brought the projector into the garage?
Hey buddy you know I tell it just like it is.
Nope not a word spoken about the Yellow New Challenger Hellcat.
Just goes to show you all guys are doggone sure not into the Muscle-Car thing.

Terry

Cheers,
Tom
Mike Garrett likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page