tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #61 of 395 Old 09-26-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Here's your flat black paint Terry - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&Q=&A=details

Use it straight out of the can.
tigerhonaker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 395 Old 09-26-2018, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Here's your flat black paint Terry - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&Q=&A=details

Use it straight out of the can.
Hey buddy,

That is some awesome paint for sure.

Terry
post #63 of 395 Old 10-06-2018, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post JVC RS4500 Laser Projector installed & other A/V Components ...

Greetings,

This past week Wolf Hill Technologies arrived on Monday and began the changes to the HT.
In general they removed the Runco VX-11d and installed the New (Demo) JVC RS4500 Laser Projector in it's place.
I was also informed that to make this easier I also would be wise to let them install a New Sony 4K DVD Player which I approved.
They moved the JML Side Utopia Speakers to the new positions.
The JML Front-Center-Utopia was removed from it's stand and that stand was taken to a Custom Cabinet Shop to be cut & lowered.
(There is a time-line of a few weeks for that to take place for pick-up from that shop)
The two (2) Mirage Front Subwoofers were relocated.
Because the above speakers were relocated, they also to relocate and run new dedicated Hospital-Grade outlets and new Transparent cable.
The Stewart Gray Hawk 123" 16x9 screen W/4-Way Remote Masking was lowered to it's new viewing position.
I had fortunately back in 2011 when this HT was last Up-Dated I ordered 1-spare Sconce light assembly.
That was put to use on the wall that had only one by the newly located JML Side Surround to match opposite wall.
I had done some research on in-wall-fans.
I lucked-out and found exactly the one that was perfect for the HT to cool the component area and that was installed.

The Pull-Out Rack for the A/V Components was completely reorganized and a new shelf installed for the Sony 4K DVD Player.
In reorganizing the Rack Shelves it added addition room between components for additional cooling between them.
Also that New in-wall fan was now going to be pulling Cold-Air into that area for further cooling.

The Acoustic sound deadening panel on the right wall was raised to match the top of the closest door.
That raised it up to also clear the right hand subwoofer being relocated.

Since I have done business with the AV owner for a lot of years as well as Jason the lead technician.
He took the time to install a New Multi LED Light Assembly as well as relocating and installing an Automatic Light Switch that senses movement.
That was done in the full length closet behind the wall where the A/V components are located on the Pull-Out Rack.

They also moved the Electrical and Phone Boxes located in the floor as the seating had been moved far forward to a viewing distance of 12' 6".
Temporarily they installed Black covers where the boxes had now been moved to the new locations.
The owner is trying to see if he can Special order Dark Maroon Metal Covers.

Okay below are the 52 pictures I have narrowed them down from 86 that I took.
I have attempted to only keep ones I thought would show what was done.

Descriptions are above each picture.

Below is a picture of the guy (Mike Garrett) that is Totally responsible for all this to have taken place.
Seriously, guys, if I had not been in touch on and on going basis with Mike and finally the ideal situation came around none of this would have taken place.
I actually drove to Mike's house yesterday to meet him in person as I wanted to meet the guy in person that my wife and I both appreciate so much.

Terry on Left & Mike on Right

Jason and Tim taking down the Runco which to be honest I thought I might miss.
That did not take place for those wondering once the JVC RS4500 was installed and viewed.

Runco has been removed and the New JVC RS4500 Ceiling Mount Installed.

Wanna guess what's coming ???

Man you guys are on Top of things for sure.
I tried to take a close-up so some of you could see the actual (Chief VCM-105J Mount).

This picture from the front shows the 2-Air Deflectors installed.

The JVC RS4500 is mounted and below are the three (3) Wolf Hill Technicians that man handled it.
Left to right
John-Jason-Tim

Remembered me mentioning above that Jason moved my light switch to a new location beside the closet door.
Also that he installed a new LED light assembly.

Moving the JML Side Utopia to it's front location as it's way to far back and it's also to high on wall.

As you can see it's totally now removed.

Jason is running Transparent cable to it's new location.

It's now totally installed and lowered to the correct height on wall right above our ear levels.

Look across the seating and notice the New position of that Right Side JML Surround.
Of course it's next to impossible to take a really perfect picture but this at least gives you the general idea.

They are moving the right front Mirage subwoofer to the right front wall.
The reason is the Stewart Screen is being Lowered so it would be partially hidden behind the subwoofer.
Electrical wiring and subwoofer cable have to both be relocated.

Jason is moving the Hospital Grade Circuit with dedicated ground to the side wall for that subwoofer.

Tim is pulling both the subwoofer cable through wall to be installed.

All three of the guys are now starting the process to lower the Stewart Gray Hawk 180 LB. screen.
I also ended-up helping as it was heavy and hard to work with unless you had enough people.
Notice it's all the way up touching the left side wall at top.

Look close at the Top and you can see just how far it was Lowered, a bunch guys.
We now just sit down in a normal seated position and look at the Center of the Screen.

Remember the In-Wall-Variable-Speed-Fan I spoke of above.
Tim is doing the install on it in these pictures.
It works perfect and Tim did a perfect job on installing it.
He is what anyone would call, beyond Anal. LOL !!!

Yes he is a Big Fellow as you can see climbing into the component area.

Tim inside the component area and thank goodness for the Samsung HVAC Split-Unit I had on High-Manual-Fan and low temperature.

He just completed cutting the inside hole for it.

Fan is totally installed.
Something we did was to actually Reverse the way it normally would be mounted and working.
We decided to mount it so the Front was actually Facing the inside of the Component area.
That because it has a front grille that can be rotated to position where you want the air to be blown.
In our case we rotated it to Pull & Blow towards the Components including those Big Classe' amps.
The other really cool thing was Jason found an existing switch off the Pre-Amp Integra Processor so that when I Power-Up it, it automatically powers up the fan.
And when the Integra Pre-Amp Processor is powered down it also automatically turns off the fan.
So you simply Adjust the variable-speed one time and your done.

If you will Recall I mentioned I purchased one extra Sconce Light Assembly.
Well talk about having the right thing at the right time in this case we surely did.
Tim is starting the install of that extra Sconce Light so that left wall JML Utopia Surround has two (2) Scone-Lights, one on each side like the opposing wall.
And believe me they are as close to perfect as humanly possible as Mr Anal Tim did the install.
(I found our from Jason Tim was a Math Teacher once upon a time explains his constant perfect measuring)

The right wall with it's JML Utopia Surround Speaker and two (2) Sconce lights.
Both sides are matching and honestly it looks GREAT …

Continued below guys:

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-07-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 395 Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Continued from post above ^^^^^

Tim is now moving those three Plugs in the floor to the New location.
Electrical and Phone as the seating was moved far forward.

Tim installed Black plates as the Owner is trying to Special order Dark Maroon plates.
Done ……

Here is looking at the Right-Rear of HT after it was completed.

Here is looking at the Left Rear of HT after it was completed.

This will show you just how Far the screen was actually dropped from the ceiling.
Also the A/V Gear is in place and all working.

Look close and you can see the Subwoofers are now in there new location.
Everything is now totally working.

The below picture I took to hopefully show you how it now looks completed facing the screen.

Okay let's get to the actual Performance now of the Newly installed JVC RS4500 Projector.
This is a picture of where I found out by Trial & Error as to where I had to have the Samsung HVAC Split-Unit temperature set.
If I am correct and I think I am guys as I have checked multiple times by placing my hands up to the, JVC Air-Deflectors and the internal fans are barely Blowing.
Meaning it sure is Not on Turbo-Mode !!!

Also I'll add the following comments as an End-User and Not someone just trying to find some Fault with the RS4500.
As I have said on the JVC RS4500 Dedicated Thread I don't mind being Blunt and saying Exactly what I think so hear goes on what my take as well as the Techs, Cathy and Myself.
(I chose to run my JVC RS4500 on High-Laser all the time as I want and prefer a Bright picture)
As far as the fan NOISE guys it can be Heard when it Ramps-Up to it's High-Speed, Turbo-Mode if ???
If you are not actually playing your system at to me a normal level for Audio.
Mine I usually set at 65 on the Integra and I can assure you if you can hear the RS4500 Fans even on Turbo-Mode you either are sitting Directly Under It or have Exceptional Hearing.
Of course you can hear the fan/fans if it is a quiet passage guys so come on and let's all get Real-World.
Okay moving on from the Dreaded Fan Noise as any of us can pick anything to Beat-to-Death if we choose but in my case it's definitely Not an issue.

Next, what do I think of viewing it on all media as in, Dish Network, Blu-ray DVDs, You-tube 4K Streaming, Netflix Streaming 4K ???
Cathy said to me while we were watching Blue Bloods off Dish how she loved the New Look.
That is here guys and believe me she is not by any Stretch-of-the-Imagination some Connoisseur of A/V !!!
Nor for that matter do I consider myself that.
Here is my Break-Down as well as Cathy,
Dish looks great, Blu-ray DVDs like the Martian, Master & Commander, Super 8 look total Awesome, You-tube 4K streaming of Demo material is simply Breathtaking.
I have No 4K DVDs guys so cannot comment on those.
Although a HT buddy of mine has informed me I have a Secret Package already coming this way VIA Amazon with 9 separate 4K DVDs.
He feels Sorry for me now being almost Destitute, Broke etc. and so on

I'll finish by saying that in my mind I was so satisfied as well as Cathy with the Runco also at the time a $30K US dollar projector.
I really kept thinking to myself I wonder if I will really, honest, easily see a Noticeable difference without any Effort on my part looking for it (RS4500) to be Better.
Well, the bottom-line is, it is guys Bad-Ass I (Promise) you with All content we have watched.
And my wife Cathy that is so much more Careful & Wise than my Dumb-Ass when it comes to jumping-up and spending has said to me Multiple times, Unsolicited how glad she is I met Mike Garrett.
That's right guys my Conservative wife of plus 35-years has said to me many times in the last few days she is so glad that Mike G. let me know about the New (Demo) AVS JVC RS4500.
Now if that does not tell you just how Great a viewing difference there is between the Runco and this New RS4500 there is not much hope for you.
And in my case I'm speaking in as simple terms as I possibly can.
I'll leave all the Experts to Beat each and everything they can possibly think of to Debate endlessly with one another over to me nothing worth anyone's time that actually owns this Amazing Machine.

Lastly, speaking of the ongoing, never-ever-ending discussions on Black-Levels with the RS4500.
Guys they are Totally Awesome and you might get the general idea from some of the Selected pictures I'm posting below.
The Blacks Blew Jason the Tech that does this for a living away !!!
He ended up not leaving until after 9 PM Friday Night as he couldn't Stop Watching the Demos in 4K You-tube Streaming.

Moving on now as I really think for anyone wondering what the heck does the average guy/owner really think on the RS4500 I surely to goodness have answered.

I also had to have New HDMI multiple cables.

Below is exactly what we saw when we very 1st turned on the RS4500 to see if it even worked and of course it did guys.
Also, keep in mind there was zero adjustments at this point just simply powering it up.
In a highly lit-up room with multiple 500-watt halogen work-lights on.

I was told and explained that I really should go ahead while they were doing the install to get a 4K DVD Player.
So I agreed and below is what they brought and hooked-up and it works.
What I do like is, it plays CDs, and other Audio discs as well a nice Bonus I think.

Here is the Main Menu on the Sony.

Okay with my Trusty Samsung 7 cellphone I took the following pictures to post.
Obviously the cellphone is not going to show what you see on the screen guys I'm just sharing what I saw that was Breath Taking in 4K Streaming.

Lastly,
I have now had a few Paint quotes coming in and waiting for another fellow that actually painted our Home a few years ago.
I really-really want his quote as he is Awesome !!!
Hopefully that will happen this coming week.
(I did keep the monies to have the Complete Home Theater painted in Flat-Black).

Thanks for viewing guys,
Terry
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-07-2018 at 11:08 AM.
post #65 of 395 Old 10-06-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Curious.

Given you are going to paint the room black (that will so change the feel and experience of watching movies !!!), what are your plans to deal with the red acoustical panels and the red carpet in the front part of the room? Once your room is all black, non-black surface areas around the screen become very obvious. Particularly with a projector as bright as the 4500 and how close the projected image is to the floor. In my own experience, surfaces that are 90 degrees to the screen surface are the most affected, and since the floor in your room is so close to the screen, you will easily be able to see it. The 100% black around the screen really does greatly improve the perceived contrast. Of course, you may choose to just ignore it and save yourself some work!!

There is a thread The Blacker The Theater, The Better The Image, with some great ideas you might want to consider for under your screen. You can probably try with some black bed sheets or black velvet and just lay on the floor in front of the screen.

My wife normally says little about the changes I have made in my room. She has only commented on: (a) getting my first Sony 4K projector; (b) adding Atmos; (c) getting my JVC RS500 projector; (d) making the front of our theater all black; (e) the installation of the RS4500. There some changes that cost way more than any of the above (primarily audio) that she has never noticed (for example, going from 7.x.4 to 9.x.6 and the Trinnov).

Just sayin'

Enjoy your new toy. As you are now discovering, it is quite the projector!!

And nice theater, by the way!!
tigerhonaker likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 10-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #66 of 395 Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Curious.

Given you are going to paint the room black (that will so change the feel and experience of watching movies !!!), what are your plans to deal with the red acoustical panels and the red carpet in the front part of the room? Once your room is all black, non-black surface areas around the screen become very obvious. Particularly with a projector as bright as the 4500 and how close the projected image is to the floor. In my own experience, surfaces that are 90 degrees to the screen surface are the most affected, and since the floor in your room is so close to the screen, you will easily be able to see it. The 100% black around the screen really does greatly improve the perceived contrast. Of course, you may choose to just ignore it and save yourself some work!!

There is a thread The Blacker The Theater, The Better The Image, with some great ideas you might want to consider for under your screen. You can probably try with some black bed sheets or black velvet and just lay on the floor in front of the screen.

My wife normally says little about the changes I have made in my room. She has only commented on: (a) getting my first Sony 4K projector; (b) adding Atmos; (c) getting my JVC RS500 projector; (d) making the front of our theater all black; (e) the installation of the RS4500. There some changes that cost way more than any of the above (primarily audio) that she has never noticed (for example, going from 7.x.4 to 9.x.6 and the Trinnov).

Just sayin'

Enjoy your new toy. As you are now discovering, it is quite the projector!!

And nice theater, by the way!!
audioguy,

I have been reading every Thread like, The Blacker The Theater, The Better The Image
They have given everyone some really great ideas that's for sure.
I think as with anything it really always comes down to just how far a person wants to go.

Speaking of how close the screen now is to the floor.
It is close and with the sconce lights off it is a very black room as it is right now.
Let me stay on topic though to the low screen height.
I'm thinking about acquiring some of that Black Velvet and (Maybe) covering each Left & Right JML main speaker sides (Facing) the screen.
Also (Maybe) attempting to cover the Classe' top side of them.
Same for the Richard Gray devices, (Maybe).
I already have a piece of the Black Velvet material covering the JML center channel.

Speaking of the now Red/Maroon dark carpet that I realize looks Bright looking in pictures but it is really dark actually.
I did Google Black indoor rugs and have considered going that way but ………
As I kept looking and finally got to what would probably work it was Super Expensive which really sort of surprised me.
So, after doing the above ^^^ I am right back to going with New Black Carpet from our seating positions to the Front-Wall under the screen.
I think that's really the best way to handle that.

And your so right on High Laser which is all I'm running mine at a lot of things do Show-Up that's a Fact as you already know and now so do I.

Speaking of our wives it's actually interesting what they will comment on without us asking them.
Cathy (Wife) does not really say hardly anything at all about the HT.
Only time she does is when Up-Dates are to us really expensive as we don't have separate accounts.
It was a pretty darn costly up-date back in 2011 when I went to the Runco VX-11d plus the supporting AV components.
This time around we both have been discussing just exactly what did we want when up-dating it again ???
Both of us agreed to go with either the Sony ES5000 that I had been discussing with Joe on this site or the JVC RS4500 I had been discussing with Mike.
Also when doing the Laser projector that would do the HD & HDR to do that we would need new AV supporting gear.
Like, Pre-Amp Processor, 4K DVD Player, complete Atomos Set-Up and of course in doing all that the HT room would have to be painted in Flat Black.
Cathy is 100% in on all the above as long as we do it all with CASH.
And that being said we agreed for me to take my total Retirement funds each month and put into a HT savings account.
So far it is going very well and I still have the monies to have the HT room Repaired & Painted.

Thanks for your interest and conversation,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-07-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #67 of 395 Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I am right back to going with New Black Carpet from our seating positions to the Front-Wall under the screen.
I think that's really the best way to handle that.
Excellent ideas on covering the inside (screen side) of your speakers. I have done that as well with great affect.

As for carpeting your floor from the seats to the screen is a GREAT idea. BUT, insist on a large enough sample prior to making your final decision. I was only given a few 6" x6" samples and made my decision based upon that. In my case, when I finally got the carpet installed, I was MASSIVELY disappointed in the results. Was it better than the carpet I had? Yes and by a lot....but not even close to what I might have gotten with a much darker and less reflective carpet. That is easily the most disappointing change I have made in our theater since I have been in this house. You will discover that most black carpet is way lees black than you think it is. When you shop, take a piece of black velvet with you and you will see what I am taking about.

If I were doing it again, I would forget carpet (been very spoiled by black velvet), and do what others have done. I would either buy or build some pieces (e..g. 2x2) of wood or exercise tile or ......? I would then cover them with black velvet and place under the screen. May not be as "crisp looking" as black carpet but you will end up with a much blacker surface and therefore a much improved/perceived image.

Just a thought. Or if you can find truly black carpet (as compared to velvet) then please let us know where you find it.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #68 of 395 Old 10-07-2018, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Excellent ideas on covering the inside (screen side) of your speakers. I have done that as well with great affect.

As for carpeting your floor from the seats to the screen is a GREAT idea. BUT, insist on a large enough sample prior to making your final decision. I was only given a few 6" x6" samples and made my decision based upon that. In my case, when I finally got the carpet installed, I was MASSIVELY disappointed in the results. Was it better than the carpet I had? Yes and by a lot....but not even close to what I might have gotten with a much darker and less reflective carpet. That is easily the most disappointing change I have made in our theater since I have been in this house. You will discover that most black carpet is way lees black than you think it is. When you shop, take a piece of black velvet with you and you will see what I am taking about.

If I were doing it again, I would forget carpet (been very spoiled by black velvet), and do what others have done. I would either buy or build some pieces (e..g. 2x2) of wood or exercise tile or ......? I would then cover them with black velvet and place under the screen. May not be as "crisp looking" as black carpet but you will end up with a much blacker surface and therefore a much improved/perceived image.

Just a thought. Or if you can find truly black carpet (as compared to velvet) then please let us know where you find it.
On one of the Threads I did read where a member did the Black Carpet and in doing so he found out that Black on Carpet is not necessarily really Black as we think.
(It could have been on another site I just cannot recall now)
I Do-Not now recall what name he ended-up with but I do remember what he settled on was Black and he was Satisfied.
I'm going to have to once again look into that when the time comes.

Terry
post #69 of 395 Old 10-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Congratulations Terry,

Thank you for the fantastic photos and write-up my friend. This was a very good and informative read for a guy who just upgraded to a Sony XBR-85x900F 4K flat screen TV.

I was so happy to see that all your efforts have paid off big time. Those screen shots tell me that the blacks, contrast, and colors from the JVC RS4500 are truly wonderful. You and Cathy are going to enjoy the new gear and setup for years. And once you do the Atmos install you will be just as thrilled with the significant improvement in sound quality.

Your Home Theater now looks great and it will, of course, be even better once you have the walls repaired and everything painted in flat black. You truly have one of the better Home Theaters in the country (or should I more realistically say the world.)

Have fun buddy,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #70 of 395 Old 10-07-2018, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Congratulations Terry,

Thank you for the fantastic photos and write-up my friend. This was a very good and informative read for a guy who just upgraded to a Sony XBR-85x900F 4K flat screen TV.

I was so happy to see that all your efforts have paid off big time. Those screen shots tell me that the blacks, contrast, and colors from the JVC RS4500 are truly wonderful. You and Cathy are going to enjoy the new gear and setup for years. And once you do the Atmos install you will be just as thrilled with the significant improvement in sound quality.

Your Home Theater now looks great and it will, of course, be even better once you have the walls repaired and everything painted in flat black. You truly have one of the better Home Theaters in the country (or should I more realistically say the world.)

Have fun buddy,
Tom
Tom C,

Thank-You kind Sir

We are already enjoying the new changes.
Cathy is really enjoying the HT now much more than she has over the years.
She is in love with the New JVC RS4500 images !!!

I hope to hear back from my preferred painter.

Oh and Tom I love your New as of last week Sony 85" Bad-Boy flat-screen !!!

Terry
post #71 of 395 Old 10-08-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Congratulations Terry,You truly have one of the better Home Theaters in the country (or should I more realistically say the world.)
If it is that good now, it will get much, much, much better when you get Atmos up and running. HUGE improvement in envelopment.
post #72 of 395 Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Lightbulb

Quote:
If it is that good now, it will get much, much, much better when you get Atmos up and running. HUGE improvement in envelopment.
You mentioned for me to keep you in mind as I find out New things to try and do.
I have been constantly reading about Black Carpet as well as the Black Velvet for covering whatever.
I think I just now saw what I have been looking for a few minutes ago on a post here on AVS.
I'm going to do some rough measuring and order some of the below.
I'll just have to think of away to cover the sides facing the screen with the JML front main speakers.
The other components I think I can manage doing them with some practice hands-on sort of thing.

AMAZON

Triple Velvet - Black

https://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Fabrics-Triple-Velvet-Black/dp/B006ZE4NHG

Richard Berg

5.0 out of 5 stars
Darkest fabric sold online
February 21, 2017
Verified Purchase
What a steal: the blackest, deepest, most light-sucking fabric outside of a specialty store is also the cheapest.
I've lined my entire theater in this stuff and couldn't be happier.

T.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-08-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #73 of 395 Old 10-08-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll just have to think of away to cover the sides facing the screen with the JML front main speakers.
The other components I think I can manage doing them with some practice hands-on sort of thing.
I used some 1/4 inch plywood (or some other 1/4" stuff) and cut to the size and shape of the sides of my speakers. I used some "non-stretching" velvet and wrapped the velvet around the plywood and then used THESE to adhere the plywood to the speakers. When my subs were under my screen, I did the same to the tops of the subs.

Non-stretchy is important otherwise the material sags. I used that kind for the sides of my speakers, but, unfortunately, did not for the area on the ceiling above my screen. It was all nice and tight after I finished the install, and now it ALL sags way down. At the MLP you can't see the sag but any light will show how badly it has sagged.

As you look for velvet, I promise you will be glad you used the non-stretchy kind.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 10-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #74 of 395 Old 10-08-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
I used some 1/4 inch plywood (or some other 1/4" stuff) and cut to the size and shape of the sides of my speakers. I used some "non-stretching" velvet and wrapped the velvet around the plywood and then used THESE to adhere the plywood to the speakers. When my subs were under my screen, I did the same to the tops of the subs.

Non-stretchy is important otherwise the material sags. I used that kind for the sides of my speakers, but, unfortunately, did not for the area on the ceiling above my screen. It was all nice and tight after I finished the install, and now it ALL sags way down. At the MLP you can't see the sag but any light will show how badly it has sagged.

As you look for velvet, I promise you will be glad you used the non-stretchy kind.

I appreciate the Heads-Up on that as I have not purchased anything yet.

T.
post #75 of 395 Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question

Audioguy,

Just now researched and found the below product.
It looks to be the Best on the Market.
What's your opinion on this Velvet ???
I'm ready to order it I'm going to make sure I have an adequate amount so going to make sure I order enough.
I'll have left over for sure but might need some elsewhere so ………..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2821049-fidelio-velvet.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006ZE4KX8/ref=olp_f_freeShipping?ie=UTF8&f_new=true

Fidelio Velvet - Black 1000

https://www.amazon.com/Fidelio-Velvet-Black-1000/dp/B006ZE4KX8

Top customer reviews

Chris M. Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars
The darkest material made by mankind
October 7, 2018
important
Verified Purchase
Not counting that little postage stamp sized piece of nanotube whatever,
this is by far the darkest material available anywhere for any purpose.
For projection screens, it's the best border material available.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #76 of 395 Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Audioguy,

Just now researched and found the below product.
It looks to be the Best on the Market.
What's your opinion on this Velvet ???
I'm ready to order it I'm going to make sure I have an adequate amount so going to make sure I order enough.
I'll have left over for sure but might need some elsewhere so ………..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2821049-fidelio-velvet.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006ZE4KX8/ref=olp_f_freeShipping?ie=UTF8&f_new=true

Fidelio Velvet - Black 1000

https://www.amazon.com/Fidelio-Velvet-Black-1000/dp/B006ZE4KX8

Top customer reviews

Chris M. Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars
The darkest material made by mankind
October 7, 2018
important
Verified Purchase
Not counting that little postage stamp sized piece of nanotube whatever,
this is by far the darkest material available anywhere for any purpose.
For projection screens, it's the best border material available.
I can't recall the name of the velvet I used. But if you will research the thread on making your theater darker, you will be able to find folks who can identify which velvet is the non stretch brand. Sorry I can't help.

You can also "google" non stretch black velvet and find some answers.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 10-09-2018 at 05:10 AM.
post #77 of 395 Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up Man I love it when we receive a {SURPRISE} package !!!

Hello HT guys,

Well my next door neighbor sent me a text yesterday evening and said they just dropped off a few packages in your mailbox buddy.

Of course I instantly slipped on some shoes and went to the mail-box.
And in the box was two (2) packages from Amazon Prime.

Brought them inside and quickly opened them and below is what they contained.
Oh, I should probably mention this ........
Remember I had said in my new post on these last changes to the HT that I didn't own even one (1) 4K DVD

Well a Super-Close buddy of mine (Tom C.) in San Antonio, TX. that is also into the HT thing of course saw and read that post.
He felt for his now Broke-Ass buddy in Franklin, TN. and decided right then and there to hook his Old Buddy up.

I have not had the opportunity to view one of them but will as soon as I can get the time to do so.
I don't know about you guys and your buddies but speaking for myself man oh man has my Friend of plus 10-years made my day.

Oh and of course our Maine Coon Male Cat (Rascal) decided to make sure the 4K DVDs would not go anywhere as you can see below.

Friends/Buddies are priceless,
Terry

Craig Peer likes this.
post #78 of 395 Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi Terry,

Hey, I'm glad the packages arrived safely and that nobody "borrowed" them from your mailbox.
You can now give that brand new Sony 4K blu-ray player a workout, rather than having it collect dust.
I know you have likely seen at least some of the movies but I don't think you will mind watching those again in 4K with the new JVC RS4500.

Just so everyone knows, Terry has been a great buddy to me over the years and has sent me surprise packages too. One of them actually weighed about 120 pounds and was a great addition to my home theater.

I look forward to hearing how these 4k discs look compared to the 4k streaming you have done so far.

Have fun Terry,
Old Tom

P.S. Rascal is looking fantastic. Glad he likes blu-rays too.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #79 of 395 Old 10-09-2018, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Red face

Quote:
Hi Terry,

Hey, I'm glad the packages arrived safely and that nobody "borrowed" them from your mailbox.
You can now give that brand new Sony 4K blu-ray player a workout, rather than having it collect dust.
I know you have likely seen at least some of the movies but I don't think you will mind watching those again in 4K with the new JVC RS4500.

Just so everyone knows, Terry has been a great buddy to me over the years and has sent me surprise packages too. One of them actually weighed about 120 pounds and was a great addition to my home theater.

I look forward to hearing how these 4k discs look compared to the 4k streaming you have done so far.

Have fun Terry,
Old Tom

P.S. Rascal is looking fantastic. Glad he likes blu-rays too.
Hello Mr. Cochran,

Cathy has now picked out the 4K DVDs she wants to see.
In my case I'll enjoy each and everyone as those are exactly the ones I like.
Rascal said he has them all under control and in his case, Under-Foot

Thanks buddy for the Surprise,
Terry
post #80 of 395 Old 10-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Looks like the theater update / " refresh " has turned out great ! Congratulations !!
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #81 of 395 Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Nice and lots of attention to technical detail! However... look, I have 20/20 vision, don't get dizzy on any amusement rides, and have passed the counterpart civilian test for qualifying as an astronaut, but I'm seriously getting ill staring at JUST the pictures of your theater. I don't know if it's too much red (or the overall color scheme?) or just too much stuff everywhere, or a combination of both, that's giving me a nauseous, disoriented feeling. Sorry! Otherwise, nice technical elements.
post #82 of 395 Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Looks like the theater update / " refresh " has turned out great ! Congratulations !!
Brother Craig,

Well it's all changed as far as my monies could take it for now.
They are not going to run the Audio Calibration until after the HT is finally painted in the Flat-Black.
I will be meeting with the owner of the Company I'm going with here in the next few days.
He is going to be bringing me two paint samples on 8 1/2" by 11" sizes to see which I like better.
(Not the Rosco buddy even though I know it's the stuff)
I want something that is more (Serviceable) if that makes sense.

I have submitted my name with Chad B. back on Sept. 23rd to get on his appointment list.

I really-really like the RS4500 laser as well as the main technician and my wife.
It is without any doubt KILLER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
Nice and lots of attention to technical detail! However... look, I have 20/20 vision, don't get dizzy on any amusement rides, and have passed the counterpart civilian test for qualifying as an astronaut, but I'm seriously getting ill staring at JUST the pictures of your theater. I don't know if it's too much red (or the overall color scheme?) or just too much stuff everywhere, or a combination of both, that's giving me a nauseous, disoriented feeling. Sorry! Otherwise, nice technical elements.
No-Worries buddy all the Dark Maroon will be gone in the near future.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-10-2018 at 12:23 PM.
post #83 of 395 Old 10-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Brother Craig,

Well it's all changed as far as my monies could take it for now.
They are not going to run the Audio Calibration until after the HT is finally painted in the Flat-Black.
I will be meeting with the owner of the Company I'm going with here in the next few days.
He is going to be bringing me two paint samples on 8 1/2" by 11" sizes to see which I like better.
(Not the Rosco buddy even though I know it's the stuff)
I want something that is more (Serviceable) if that makes sense.

I have submitted my name with Chad B. back on Sept. 23rd to get on his appointment list.

I really-really like the RS4500 laser as well as the main technician and my wife.
It is without any doubt KILLER !!!

No-Worries buddy all the Dark Maroon will be gone in the near future.

Terry
I knew you would !
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #84 of 395 Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Up-Dates as of October 18th 2018 .....

Below are the latest things I have now gotten accomplished or maybe should say, started.

Wolf Hill Technologies:
I have now officially gotten the Marantz AV8805 Pre-Amp Processor ordered.
Also will be changing from the Sony UBP-X800 DVD player to the now ordered, Samsung 9700 Blu-ray player.

Lastly I just as of this morning actually, finally have ordered the Rosco Velour Black for doing the complete HT.
It ships directly from Rosco to me.

Item Qty Item Description
Price
Total Price 5-Gallon ... 263.95 Total ... 527.90
RO60035G 2.00
Supersaturated Concentrated Base - Velour Black

Usually ships in 7-10 business days

Subtotal: 527.90
Discount: -12.00
Shipping Charges: 0.00
Taxes: 0.00
Total: 515.90

So the wait begins but now it all is coming together and that's really all that actually counts.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.
post #85 of 395 Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Terry:

You will be AMAZED at the difference in perceived contrast of your PJ once everything the room is painted black. One of the less expensive video upgrades you can make!! And once you have done that, those red panels in the front of your room/field of view will really stand out. Re-covering them with black GOM will solve that issue (I had light gray panels I re-covered in black GOM)

Next up you need to call Mike Garrett or Graig Peer and order a new Panamorph Paladin !!! You sure won't need high laser then !!

(Just trying to help you spend your money!!)
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #86 of 395 Old 10-18-2018, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Marantz AV8805 Manuals

Speaking of Manuals guys,

I just took the time to print out all the manuals as well as the 1-page Product Information page.
Why ???
Because as many of us know there are no manuals any-longer that come with the gear.
The actual user manual for the Marantz AV8805 is 348 pages (Double-Sided) plus the cover sheet.
The Quick-Start manual is not a lot of pages.

I took all this to my local Staples and had those Bound.
They did an excellent job as always on them.

Below will give you a rough idea of just how many pages the User-Manual consist of.

Lastly is the Quick-Start manual.

Terry
post #87 of 395 Old 10-18-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 3925 Post(s)
Liked: 4815
Quote:
Below are the latest things I have now gotten accomplished or maybe should say, started.

Wolf Hill Technologies:
I have now officially gotten the Marantz AV8805 Pre-Amp Processor ordered.
Also will be changing from the Sony UBP-X800 DVD player to the now ordered, Samsung 9700 Blu-ray player.

Lastly I just as of this morning actually, finally have ordered the Rosco Velour Black for doing the complete HT.
It ships directly from Rosco to me.

Item Qty Item Description
Price
Total Price 5-Gallon ... 263.95 Total ... 527.90
RO60035G 2.00
Supersaturated Concentrated Base - Velour Black

Usually ships in 7-10 business days

Subtotal: 527.90
Discount: -12.00
Shipping Charges: 0.00
Taxes: 0.00
Total: 515.90

So the wait begins but now it all is coming together and that's really all that actually counts.

Terry
I would return the 9700 and get the Panasonic 820 instead. The Panasonic is miles better than the Samsung 9700. Just the HDR Auto Tone Mapping makes it worthy of every $ you pay for it.
Jive Turkey likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #88 of 395 Old 10-18-2018, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Lightbulb

Quote:
Terry:

You will be AMAZED at the difference in perceived contrast of your PJ once everything the room is painted black. One of the less expensive video upgrades you can make!! And once you have done that, those red panels in the front of your room/field of view will really stand out. Re-covering them with black GOM will solve that issue (I had light gray panels I re-covered in black GOM)

Next up you need to call Mike Garrett or Graig Peer and order a new Panamorph Paladin !!! You sure won't need high laser then !!

(Just trying to help you spend your money!!)
Hey I have a really close HT buddy in San Antonio, TX. and we both help one another spending our monies in the Home Theaters.
So, what the heck one more HT enthusiast making suggestions will certainly fit right in.

We did already try Sherwin Williams as well as the PPG that were recommended for HT.
I was not really impressed with either.
They were not all that bad but just not what I was looking for.
It is costing me over $2,500.00 dollars plus to get all the holes and a lot of them for sure plus the two (2) coats of Rosco.
So my thinking is if I'm spending that much I want it my way so the owner of the paint company agreed that we go with Rosco.

I also think at some point to do the Black Carpet from the screen to where we actually sit.
I think that will also possibly make a difference.

I'm also going to order the Black Velvet and cover everything in front of the screen that shows-up while a bright picture is showing.
That will include doing the sides of both the JML front left & right speakers facing the screen.

Going to take time but when actually done I think it will all be worth the time, monies and effort.

Terry
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #89 of 395 Old 10-18-2018, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I would return the 9700 and get the Panasonic 820 instead. The Panasonic is miles better than the Samsung 9700. Just the HDR Auto Tone Mapping makes it worthy of every $ you pay for it.
I appreciate your input for sure.
But I'm going to give the Samsung a try.
I think it will do what I need hopefully.
I have read a lot of customer (Verified) purchaser reviews and for the most part they are what I call, very-very positive.

If it does not work out to my satisfaction then time to try perhaps the UB820 Panasonic.

Thanks again,
Terry
post #90 of 395 Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Up-Date,

420 Ninth Avenue, New York, NY 10001
www.bhphotovideo.com
800 - 221 - 5743
212 - 239 - 7765

Order Status

Dear TERRY HONAKER ,

The following item(s) will be shipped directly to you by themanufacturer/distributor.
We have submitted our purchase order to themanufacturer/distributor and the estimated shipping time is 7-10 business days based on availability.
Order Number: 765005600
PO Number:
Billing Address:
Restricted:
Shipping Address: "Same As Billing Address

Item Qty Item Description RO60035G 2SPRSATUR CONCEN PAINT-VELOUR BLK/5-gal

PLEASE NOTE:
For further information please contact our customer service departmentat (800) 221-5743 or [email protected]

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page