tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #121 of 298 Old 11-20-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Wow. What an amazing theater. Love those Focal speakers. It's what I am using also but I have the Electra 1028Be series. And those subs are great also because I have heard them before. This is one great theater. Congrats on it.
tigerhonaker likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 298 Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Wooohooo!!!!
That looks absolutely amazing.
Great job by the painters.

Did they enjoy painting with such a thick paint ?

I am about 2-3 weeks away from painting ( I hope!!!) and I cannot wait to see how mine will look like with the Rosco.

In the other post I did hopefully answer your question on the painters and actually applying it.
Your question above in Bold ^^^

I actually left out in my other post something really-really important that you would want to know as well as others on the Rosco.
What I did UN-Fortunately overlooked as I was concentrating on making sure I totally answered the question on the painters applying it.
They both thought the Rosco was the Best paint they had ever seen or worked with.
And the final result to the Home Theater they were Both very much {Impressed} with.
They actually made multiple comments to me and each other as they applied the 2-coats of Rosco.
And those guys do very-very High-End jobs with High-Dollar paints.
So they were not talking through their butts on complementing what the Rosco looked like.

Thanks for posting these as I now know what to expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Wow.
What an amazing theater.
Love those Focal speakers.
It's what I am using also but I have the Electra 1028Be series.
And those subs are great also because I have heard them before.
This is one great theater.
Congrats on it.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for dropping by and certainly your comments buddy.

As you saw mine are the Focal, JML Utopia speakers for all of them so they are a perfect match.
And in the size of my HT they easily fill it with totally awesome sound.

Those 4 Mirage BPS-400 subs buddy are KILLER !!!

Now once the A/V owner contacts me to reinstall the acoustical panels and of course all the speakers I'll be set.

Up-Dated November 2018

Pre-Amp: Marantz AV8805
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player
Projector: JVC RS4500 Laser
Screen: Stewart Gray Hawk 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Speakers: JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, Center Utopia, Side Utopia, Rear Mini Utopia
Subwoofers: 4-Mirage BPS400 sitting on 4 "Auralex Great Gramma" pads
Cables: Transparent TW Plus w/Plus Bricks
Amps: Classe', 2-CA201, 3-CAM350
Power Conditioners: 1-Richard Gray RGPC-1200S, 7-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 Back up Power Unit for JVC RS4500
Cooling: 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM (Active Thermal Management)
Mid Atlantic: Track 50" rack slide out
Sanus CFR1620 Rack W/Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic: Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating: Ekornes Stressless Wave

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-20-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #123 of 298 Old 11-20-2018, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up I'll be back watching movies tomorrow guys !!!

Well guys,

I have heard from Charles at Wolf Hill Technologies.
He is sending three (3) of his Techs here around 8 AM in the morning.
So, looks like I will be back in the HT seeing & hearing come tomorrow.
I'll get to try out the New Rosco Velour Flat Black HT much sooner than I actually had anticipated.

Things are certainly looking up for our Thanksgiving Holiday guys.

I just decided to purchase the RYOBI Laser Tool for aligning all my speakers to the Main-Listening-Position.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 298 Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post

I just decided to purchase the RYOBI Laser Tool for aligning all my speakers to the Main-Listening-Position.

How funny... a buddy of mine that does high end installations told me that this little tool is his "little" secret for finding the perfect spot for speakers. He says that he can come within 1/2" of any degree. He says he uses this and a simple self leveling plum/level laser.

I have one on order from Home Depot.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #125 of 298 Old 11-21-2018, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
How funny... a buddy of mine that does high end installations told me that this little tool is his "little" secret for finding the perfect spot for speakers. He says that he can come within 1/2" of any degree. He says he uses this and a simple self leveling plum/level laser.

I have one on order from Home Depot.
Killroy,

Home Depot buddy had it in "Stock".

I will know for sure what my install main guy thinks in just a little while as he will be here around 8 AM this morning.
This is going to be a very-very good-day here in this HT guys.

Hang around guys as new pictures will be coming as most of you already know.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-21-2018 at 06:00 AM.
post #126 of 298 Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Killroy,

Home Depot buddy had it in "Stock".

Terry
My local store did not have any so I am having it shipped to store for today or Friday. I am not driving 50-60 miles each way for a $30 item to get it at the other nearest store.....lol
post #127 of 298 Old 11-22-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Cool

Quote:
My local store did not have any so I am having it shipped to store for today or Friday. I am not driving 50-60 miles each way for a $30 item to get it at the other nearest store.....lol
Killroy,

Nor would I buddy I am fortunate my local Home Depot is like maybe 4-miles from me.
I think you will like it as they did use it yesterday to align my speakers.

Terry

post #128 of 298 Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post My HT is back together once again guys ...

Hello,

I am Happy to report my HT is back together once again guys as of yesterday morning.

Three (3) of the techs from in Nashville, TN came early to put the HT back in place.

I was not sure how extensive they were going to be with putting the HT all back in place once again.
To my enlightenment I was immediately told by the lead tech (Jason) we will all be here until it is totally 100% done buddy.
And he was not kidding as they all three jumped in and things were happening one by one.
They did use the new laser alignment tool to align all the speakers I had just purchased the day before from Home Depot.
Also they all three wanted to See & Hear the system now that it was like a Commercial Theater.

So, the one tech brought with him a 4K Demo DVD and they loaded it and picked some different things from it.
I can say without any doubt they as well as myself were all Spell-Bound as it was truly an awesome 1st hand experience.
Jason the lead guy wanted to play the Super 8 Blu-ray DVD I had as in the 1st part of it is a really Bad-Ass Visual as well as Audio experience.
Carlos the tech that had not been here before thought the system was Killer.
He said I am into this and have what I thought was a really nice system but now I have heard and seen the Real-Deal.
Your HT is UN-Believable ……….

So AVS members let me say that with the Rosco Velour Paint now done and running the JVC RS4500 as it currently is will instantly put a Huge on your face.
And I'm speaking of the way it is right now while waiting for the New Marantz AV8805, Panasonic UB820 and lastly Chad B to Custom Calibrate the RS4500.
Once the above ^^^ things take place this HT system is going to be even IMHO more Killer.

The Marantz is at as well as the new replacement Sanus CFR1620 W/Middle Atlantic 4 post heavy duty shelves for the Classe' Amps and the JML Center Channel (Shortened) stand.
The Panasonic UB820 I ordered from Best Buy so waiting for it to arrive for pick-up.

Chad B. will be here, Friday, December 14th, at 10 AM 2018 ….. instead of March or April of 2019.

Things are coming together nicely on the timing ^^^ as you can see above and once all that takes place I'm thinking this HT is going to be where this Old-Fellow plants himself lots of hours.

After the three techs packed-up and took off for a Pizza Company for lunch I spent the rest of the day and until 11 PM last night in the HT.
Guys, it was so looking that I just couldn't break away to post this until this morning.
Below are some pictures I took last night and maybe they will give you the general idea of how the HT looks currently.

Terry
Oklahomie likes this.

post #129 of 298 Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 156
First, beautiful results!

Second...I am considering some ceiling treatment for my HT area. Already have black paint for the doors. My area is not as dedicated as yours. What I am wondering is, will this paint hide drywall imperfections? My area has some pretty bad seam work, but it is mostly hidden with flat white paint. Will this paint do an even better job of hiding the poor work?

I know this a pretty dumb question, but I appreciate any response.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -

Last edited by Shane661; 11-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #130 of 298 Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11829 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Terry, glad you are happy with the results. .
post #131 of 298 Old 11-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Congratulations Terry on your latest improvements to the Home Theater.
The place looks great, the envy of a lot of people I would imagine.

When you get the time it would be interesting to know if you can be more specific about what changes having the Rosco painting done made to the Picture Quality. I know, that may be difficult if not impossible to put into words.

It's obvious the screen must now look like it is floating in space but I'm wondering, as are some others, if there has been any noticeable change in things like contrast, colors, more visible details, color pop, etc.?

You still have a lot to look forward to with the new player, processor, and Chad B's calibration.

You are one very lucky devil my friend.

Cheers,
Tom
post #132 of 298 Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
Quote:
Chad B. will be here, Friday, December 14th, at 10 AM 2018 ….. instead of March or April of 2019.
THAT you should consider as an early Christmas present from you to you. That sure beats 4 months from now. Congrats.

You are in for a real treat. Right after Chad left I could certainly see some improvement but the "ah ha" moments came after I started watching various content: --- e.g. ESPN, some of our favorite Netflix stuff and of course movies, both 4K and Bluray. It was then I really realized how much improvement I got over the almost factory settings I was using.

The new paint job looks phenomenal. But it makes very obvious the non black items in your room. Given that, what is the plan, if any, for the red acoustic panels in the front half of the room? Or the red(ish) carpet under the screen? If you choose to deal with those, you will even get further improvement of the perceived contrast. But even if you don't deal with those, you (I'm sure you recognize) are already getting an improvement in the perceived (and real) contrast.

I have seen a lot of video images in other home theaters and at the various shows I attend. The image I now get (and you will get after Chad does his thing) is better than any other I have seen. I'm not suggesting there is not better, but I have yet to see them.

And then once you get your new processor and have it properly calibrated, you will be in Home Theater Nirvana !!!

Enjoy !!
post #133 of 298 Old 11-23-2018, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
First, beautiful results!

Second...I am considering some ceiling treatment for my HT area. Already have black paint for the doors. My area is not as dedicated as yours. What I am wondering is, will this paint hide drywall imperfections? My area has some pretty bad seam work, but it is mostly hidden with flat white paint. Will this paint do an even better job of hiding the poor work?

I know this a pretty dumb question, but I appreciate any response.
Shane 661,

Here is your answer buddy.
The Rosco Velour Flat Black will and does (Hide) imperfections in the drywall.
However, as I have said before the only way I would do this sort of thing is having a (Professional-Paint-Company) do it if they put in writing the following.
We will have our most Long-Term Painters at your house to do "All-the-Work" !!!
(You will be paying that company anyway so you might as well insist on having the write painters do it)
I can further add to your question see the below picture than the explanation below the pictures.

The Black door that is to the far left use to be right beside that opening to the component area.
I had it moved years ago as it had to be relocated so the Side Surround Speaker went where the door was.
Then as you look at the above pictures you can see where the guys did the drywall mud where it use to be as all the seams were showing and some bad.
Then they sanded the area and then did the 3 coats of Flat Black which 2 of those were the Rosco.
You cannot any-longer tell the door use to be located there !!!

So, your answer buddy is if your room/area is done by professionals you more than likely will not see any of the now Bad Drywall Areas.
The Pre-Pre-Drywall work is essential and if not done correctly you just IMHO Pissed away a lot of your Hard-Earned-Monies.
As the Rosco is very-very expensive especially if applied like mine was Full-Strength.

Lastly, there are No-Dumb-Questions buddy just dumb-ass-replies sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Terry, glad you are happy with the results. .
Mike, I am but I doubt your the least bit surprised as you had already told me what to expect.
And actually in my case I think it's even a more dramatic improvement than you had anticipated and certainly more so than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Congratulations Terry on your latest improvements to the Home Theater.
The place looks great, the envy of a lot of people I would imagine.
Tom Cochran,

I'm as well as my wife really now enjoying the HT even more than we were.

When you get the time it would be interesting to know if you can be more specific about what changes having the Rosco painting done made to the Picture Quality.
I know, that may be difficult if not impossible to put into words.

Well I'm not really all that great on the correct terminology my long-term-HT-friend but here goes.
What instantly comes to my mind and what caught my attention the most was the following.
That 4K Demo DVD and seeing the different demos on it.
The most dramatic was King Kong Close-Up and that buddy was Damn sure Breathtaking.
You could see everything in Great-Great-Detail with him as well as what was in the background of him like tiny-tiny things floating around behind him.
His body was Enormous and you could if you wished count every individual hair on his Huge-Body.
Colors are so Brilliant and full/saturated and of course Pop is an understatement.

However let me add the following as truly awesome as the 4K demo DVD was and believe me it was not only to me but certainly the 3-Wolf Hill Technology Techs.
One has to keep in mind that I have not a clue, guess at what settings are actually in the JVC RS4500 projector right now.
I mention the above ^^^ to simply say and point out that I'm thinking once Chad B arrives Dec 14th at 10AM and completes his Custom Calibrations I'm going to be even more Excited at the pictures.
Plus when he arrives I hope to have that New Panasonic UB820 installed so Chad can set it up proper for Auto Tone Mapping with the RS4500.
If I'm really lucky I might even have the New Marantz AV8805 also installed which would be killer sure enough.

I can say with No-Doubt that anyone that wants the epitome of a 100% Best Picture and can have their HT painted with the Rosco Velour Flat Black Paint do it.
It's Not a Subtle difference guys I promise you it's a Huge-Huge difference in my HT even though I do still have the Dark Maroon Carpet.
Maybe next year as this Poor Fellow gets his HT Savings back-up I can also have that done but as it stands I'm really, honestly not suffering all that much guys.

It's obvious the screen must now look like it is floating in space but I'm wondering, as are some others, if there has been any noticeable change in things like contrast, colors, more visible details, color pop, etc.?

See above comments ……….

You still have a lot to look forward to with the new player, processor, and Chad B's calibration.

Yes I am for sure ………..

You are one very lucky devil my friend.

Well not to get all sentimental and teary-eyed but to say it like this 73-Old Fellow really honestly feels the simple comment is, yes.

I know you have multiple times enjoyed the HT buddy in person.

Cheers,
Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
THAT you should consider as an early Christmas present from you to you. That sure beats 4 months from now. Congrats.

Audioguy, I actually do buddy for real.

You are in for a real treat. Right after Chad left I could certainly see some improvement but the "ah ha" moments came after I started watching various content: --- e.g. ESPN, some of our favorite Netflix stuff and of course movies, both 4K and Bluray. It was then I really realized how much improvement I got over the almost factory settings I was using.

I like you am looking so forward to Chad coming and even more so that I'm not having to wait until what I thought was going to be March or April of 2019.
I really-really want to know for a fact that my RS4500 is performing at it's Peak Performance and I believe after Chad does his thing I'll have that very thing in spades.

The new paint job looks phenomenal. But it makes very obvious the non black items in your room. Given that, what is the plan, if any, for the red acoustic panels in the front half of the room? Or the red(ish) carpet under the screen? If you choose to deal with those, you will even get further improvement of the perceived contrast. But even if you don't deal with those, you (I'm sure you recognize) are already getting an improvement in the perceived (and real) contrast.

The Red Acoustic Panels thank goodness to the left & right of the screen are actually (Behind) it so they have zero effect on the picture.
The other ones on the wall are way away from the screen and I have looked really-really close and you do-Not see then when watching anything.
My preference will be next year to try my best to find out if there is a simple-way to have those covered in Black ???
I'm thinking that really would not be all that big a deal just have to locate the Company/Person to do it with the proper black material.

Speaking of the Dark Red/Maroon carpet that I would actually like to do something about.
Cathy and I have discussed that multiple times and what I might actually do is get a (Black Non-Reflective Black) area rug.
That might actually be the simplest way to go when the time comes.

AS you mention and it's true right now the picture looks Great so I can live with how things are until I can once again afford to make the next improvements.

I have seen a lot of video images in other home theaters and at the various shows I attend. The image I now get (and you will get after Chad does his thing) is better than any other I have seen. I'm not suggesting there is not better, but I have yet to see them.

Well Audioguy I have no problem believing what you just posted on your picture overall quality after Chad did his thing.
I know right now those 3 techs that were here yesterday had never-ever seen any picture even close to what they were seeing right here in person.
And those guys do this for a living so if they are that impressed to me that says a heck of a lot.
I'm just glad that Chad is going o here in the very-very near future.

And then once you get your new processor and have it properly calibrated, you will be in Home Theater Nirvana !!!

Not really sure how that's going to play out but I'm sure if Charles (Owner) of
It will happen as quickly as he can possibly make it happen.
I'm looking forward to the New Marantz AV8805 but also really looking forward to the Panasonic UB820 4K DVD Player and it's Auto Tone-Mapping.

Enjoy !!

Thanks guys for your comments as always,
Terry
Shane661 likes this.

post #134 of 298 Old 11-23-2018, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Made some additional changes this morning guys ...

Greetings,

Well I made some improvements this morning after a quick trip to Home Depot which is maybe 4-miles from where I'm sitting.
If I had thought about this the painters could have easily taken care of it but I didn't so I did it myself this morning.
Those sconce lights right at the very bottom where the actual light-socket is located are or I should say were Bright-White.
So, below you will see my handy-work and now they look exactly as I want them to.
There is No-Bright-White now at all on them, finally.

They started out like the below and actually all the light-sockets but this one are Bright-White.
When you sat down you could barely see the White at the bottom of the white-light-sockets.

Next this was done by the painters.

Now they all look like this with No-White at all.

Below is the actual 2000 Degree High Temperature paint I used.

Now they look like this and I know the pictures are not all that great guys but it's the best I could do.
I think you will at least get the general idea.

Last thing is an "ALARM" started going off last night over in the component area.
Turns out my Panamax MB1500 (Battery-Pack) has gone bad or simply really Aged-Out.
I found the paperwork on it and it shows I purchased it back on October 2012 and we are now heading to 2019.
So that battery-pack did his job and purpose for many years.
Charles will be ordering a replacement battery pack this coming Monday.

Well the way I look at this is simple.
That will just be one more thing done with the rest of the changes.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-24-2018 at 06:27 AM.
post #135 of 298 Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post A story to be shared guys on Best Buy .....

Greetings,

I could have done this over on the Panasonic UB820 thread but I think this is a better told right here on my thread.
I can and will put the link to this on that thread for those members if any are interested.

Let's get this started,
I placed an order for the Panasonic UB820 even though I 1st placed an order with my A/V dealer for a Samsung 4K player.
It was suggested to me by multiple AVS members that I should reconsider and get the UB820 as it has the Auto Tone Mapping feature and works great with especially projectors.
Time went on and I received the Sound & Vision Magazine and it had an excellent review done by Kris Deering on September 12th 2018.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-dp-ub820-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-review
Then more time went by and it was once again suggested to me by non other than Mike Garrett that some of you on here are familiar with.
So it seemed to me unless I wanted to play Hard-Ball and totally ignore all the AVS members recommendations as well as what I had read from Kris Deering I must be nuts.

On November 12th 2018 I went on-line and placed my order to Best Buy for the Panasonic UB820 and was suppose to pick it up on Friday 11/16/2018 locally.
Well I get an E-Mail and it is NOT going to be at Best Buy for me to pick it up per that E-Mail.
I wait for a further up-date but none comes so on Saturday 11/17/2018 I call the Best Buy (Help/Assistance 1-888-237-8289) phone number.
I get a nice, friendly lady that confirms all pertinent customer information and then puts me on hold while she checks to see what's going on with the order.
She comes back on-line and says, Terry it's shipped and will be at your Brentwood #170 store on Saturday 24th for pick-up.
If you guys are wondering yes I did ask multiple times that you ^^^ are sure it's shipped and going to be at Brentwood store next Saturday, right ???
Moving on as of course this is 11/24/2018 Saturday and I have NOT received any E-Mail, Text Message to come pick-up my order.
So, I go on-line and what I get is the following regarding that order placed back on 11/12/2018.
(We didn't find anything matching your search for "BBY01-805580422439")
Also,
(You do not have any recent orders or in-store purchases)
I should add that I actually printed out our Bank of America bank statement that shows on 11/13/2018 BESTBUY -548.73.
I also did the same thing with my PAYPAL account and it showed the exact same thing as Bank of America.
Next, this morning I call that same Best Buy Help/Assistance #.
I get a super nice lady that her last name was Smith and that's actually her real last name and she was talking with me from Georgia.
We talked for like almost 1 1/2 hours with her also at the end actually placing a call to the Brentwood Best Buy Store #170 .
She talked to a Manager in the Geek Squad and what he ended up telling her was for the customer to CANCEL the order and order it again !!!
Yes people I am serious and she even ask that Manager if he does that will that be faster than him pursuing a completely new order ???
In other words that local Manager was really just trying to get off the phone, a dumb-ass, or no experience as a Manager at all.
Oh he (Trent) told her he went back in the warehouse and there was no UB820 in it for me or anyone else.
We, Ms. Smith and I ended our conversation and I then drove to the Brentwood Store to get this situation handled 1st hand in person.
I know from past experience don't ever ask for any Department Manager ever ………..
Go straight to the Top always people if you don't have experience in this sort of thing as I do.
They paged the (General Manager) of the store that I asked for and he immediately came out to meet me with a Smile and Handshake.
He picked a place way back in the store where we could talk as I told him this was going to take awhile and it would not be good for other Best Buy customers to be listening.
We actually hit it off right on the Front-End as I simply said I'll give you all pertinent information as I brought Hard-Copies for you.
He listened to me until I was done and then in summary said to me something like, let me go see what I can do make yourself comfortable.
He was gone for a very-very short time and I heard a voice say off in the distance this Panasonic is what your wanting with a Big-Ole-Grin as he approached me closer.
Sure enough Ben had a New One in his hands and said let's get this show on the road Terry.
He took me back and showed me the High-End Audio room they now have and it had a lot of High Dollar A/V gear/components.
Ben said today might not be a good day but if you ever want to drop by and give me a call we can demo anything you wish with your material if you like.
We go back up to the very front of the store and he says hang loose a minute I'll be right back and get you out of here.

Ben comes back out with CASH in hand and says to me for your inconvenience buddy and I look forward to your Future Business.

Terry
Craig Peer and ColoFatherof3 like this.

post #136 of 298 Old 11-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 7701
What a run around. At least you got it ! And a bit of a rebate for your troubles !
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #137 of 298 Old 11-25-2018, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 59
This is a good read!
tigerhonaker likes this.

GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
post #138 of 298 Old 11-25-2018, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 156
The Manager gave you $100 cash? Where the hell does that budget come from? I gotta go there more often, lol!
tigerhonaker likes this.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -
post #139 of 298 Old 11-25-2018, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
What a run around. At least you got it !
And a bit of a rebate for your troubles !
Craig,

I think many of us on this AVS site have been in Management when we were working before retiring like myself.
So, we that have all know how this sort of thing will get handled if you go to the Top Manager that actually has the authority to make a decision and make things happen.
Especially if a customer has the hard-copies to show that what they are saying is actually factual and not some crazy made up story.

I'll say this Ben didn't hesitate for a second to handle things and always with a friendly-smile while doing so.
Your right it was somewhat a {SURPRISE} when he said to me hang loose I'll just be a minute when we were at the very front of the store and he hands me the CASH folded-up.
He said I think this might your day more pleasant and maybe offset your inconvenience on this buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
This is a good read!
I thought some of you might like seeing how things went and especially how it all was handled professionally in the end.
You know people are really-really Super-Quick to Bitch, Piss & Moan but you hardly ever see or hear when things are handled as this was in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
The Manager gave you $100 cash?
Where the hell does that budget come from?
I gotta go there more often, lol!
Shane,

That's correct he stepped away from me for maybe 2-3 minutes as he went to some office in the front of the store and came back with $100.00 dollars folded-up.

No idea where the cash actually came from but if I were to make a guess maybe a Slush-Fund for handling such things.

I will continue to do business with Best Buy as they have always over the years been great to work with.

Terry

post #140 of 298 Old 11-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Craig,

I think many of us on this AVS site have been in Management when we were working before retiring like myself.
So, we that have all know how this sort of thing will get handled if you go to the Top Manager that actually has the authority to make a decision and make things happen.
Especially if a customer has the hard-copies to show that what they are saying is actually factual and not some crazy made up story.

I'll say this Ben didn't hesitate for a second to handle things and always with a friendly-smile while doing so.
Your right it was somewhat a {SURPRISE} when he said to me hang loose I'll just be a minute when we were at the very front of the store and he hands me the CASH folded-up.
He said I think this might your day more pleasant and maybe offset your inconvenience on this buddy.

I thought some of you might like seeing how things went and especially how it all was handled professionally in the end.
You know people are really-really Super-Quick to Bitch, Piss & Moan but you hardly ever see or hear when things are handled as this was in the end.

Shane,

That's correct he stepped away from me for maybe 2-3 minutes as he went to some office in the front of the store and came back with $100.00 dollars folded-up.

No idea where the cash actually came from but if I were to make a guess maybe a Slush-Fund for handling such things.

I will continue to do business with Best Buy as they have always over the years been great to work with.

Terry
I bought a Sony x700 from that store and had problems with it and they took it back with no problems even though I had forgotten the power supply and I live an hour and half away.
post #141 of 298 Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I bought a Sony x700 from that store and had problems with it and they took it back with no problems even though I had forgotten the power supply and I live an hour and half away.
fireman1000,

In my case being in Franklin I am really-really close to Best Buy maybe 10 miles.
Very easy for me to run over and pick things up.

I have never-ever had any issue over the years with doing business with Best Buy.
That's why once I made the decision to drive over and handle this in person yesterday with Ben Sams I will continue to do business with the store.

Terry

post #142 of 298 Old 11-26-2018, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Another New addition guys ...........

Greetings,

Well after some discussion over on the JVC RS4500 thread about the streaming on the Panasonic UB820.
It seems for me to play it safe was to get the Roku 4K Ultra HDR streaming device.
I just got back home from picking it up.
If there is any issue streaming from the Panasonic UB820 I will have an immediate solution on hand.

I'm not going to take any chance on things not working once installs the new Marantz AV8805 as well as the new Panasonic UB820 and that new A/V Cabinet for the Classe' Amps.

As many of you know it's not easy to get your A/V Dealer to send a tech or techs very quickly to your house.
So, I'm trying my best to cover everything I can think of (Before) they come.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-27-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #143 of 298 Old 12-02-2018, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Wolf Hill Technologies has installed the remaining Audio Components ...

Dec 2nd, 2019

Up-Date guys,

Wolf Hill Technologies techs came last Wednesday to install the New A/V gear and a few other things I'll describe below.
As it turned out there were three techs, Jason, Tim & Carlos all were here early AM and didn't leave until it was dark outside maybe 6PM or after.
It all looks great guys as they did a stand-up job for sure.
Also before I forget the owner (Charles) also came by and met Jason (Lead-Tech) on Friday to look at the completed project and also to see & hear it in person.

While they were here on Friday they also decided to rerun the
Audyssey MultEQ XT32 program and then fine tune it.

Examples, rear surround volume increased as well side surrounds and the 4-Mirage Subs.
Then we streamed 8K off the Roku going to You-tube, watched Blu-ray Super 8 etc. while they were here.
Something else I have now made a decision on when Chad B comes Dec 14th is have him do Both the Video & Audio.
I can have him do both now that all the components are installed.
Video calibration desired ISF $450
Display make and model JVC RS4500
Audio calibration desired Audyssey Pro $500
Receiver make and model
Marantz AV8805 I have heard back from Darrell to confirm the recent addition/change and he has forwarded that to Chad.

I think I should say something about what I really honestly now think after everything has been completed other than the Chad B part which is coming really soon.
It all works as I have practically been living in the HT since they completed it on Wednesday.
I'll keep this as short as possible.

Video JVC RS4500 ……….
Is awesome guys as you might have already guessed but ………..
I now know I need Chad to come in and do his professional Custom Calibrations.
That's not an opinion any-longer from me it's a fact !!!
So until Chad does his thing I can easily live with the picture quality but like I said now that I'm much more familiar with the RS4500 viewing all different things.
It is not really a want sort of thing.
It's actually a necessity !!!

Audio Marantz AV8805 ………
Speaking of the Marantz AV8805 versus the Integra.
Personally if I did not make that change I highly doubt I would be in tears.
You know I don't even really know exactly how to say what I really think to just be right up-front about it.
I'm not necessarily disappointed that I purchased the Marantz.
I guess what I think in simple terms is this.
I don't personally hear anything remotely like a Day & Night difference between the two units.
However, I do-not yet have ATMOS added to my system and that's the real reason I purchased the Marantz.
So until that is added in the future I didn't expect to hear some profound audio difference and that's why I said above I'm not really disappointed.
Also, it's not that it's doing something it's not suppose to be doing or maybe I should say if it is I'm certainly not aware of it.

4K Ultra ROKU works perfect.
No issues at all.

Panasonic has played all the different formats of disc.
No issues at all.

Okay as always I did take pictures and infact I took like 130 pictures believe it or not.
I have paused doing this up-date to think about what other AVS members really want to see ???
I decided to jump in and eliminate all duplicates and narrowed the pictures down to the real meat of what took place.
I can tell you that if you have never-ever done a post with lots of pictures guys it is a very-very time consuming venture from beginning to end and believe me I'm not exaggerating.
I just now finally got the pictures loaded into my photobucket so I can post them here for you.

I'll type the text above each picture where I think it's necessary for you.

Here is the old cabinet holding the two Classe CA-201 Amps.
The main reasons for switching it out is to allow much-much better air-flow and also for the 3rd amp for ATMOS.

Something else that just happened a few weeks ago was the Panamax MB1500 battery totally failed.
It had been in service since back in 2012 so it was probably past it's life time.

Removing the Integra Pre-Amp processor.

The Roku that Tim is holding for a picture is getting it's own shelf.

Jason is unhooking the Classe' amps for removal.

Tim has the 1st one and if your wondering the shipping weigh on it is 79 Lbs.

Jason is now ready to hand the old component cabinet to Tim for removal.

Tim is getting ready to do the new cabinet.

I took some pictures of the newly Custom-Shortened LML Utopia Center-Channel-Speaker stand.
It came out perfect from the custom cabinet shop that did the work.
It actually looks like it came from Focal but it didn't in it's newly shortened state.

Carlos brought it with him and had it wrapped totally up with soft material.

Jason (Left) & Carlos (Right) installing the newly shortened JML stand.
That Center JML Utopia weighs 100 Lbs. so that's why two guys are lowering it carefully to the stand.
It look perfect !!!

They also brought all the new correct length 14-gauge cables to replace the old ones.
Examples below.

Below are the two Classe' amps removed earlier from the old component cabinet.
If you have never seen these amps they are monsters.

Below is the SANUS instruction manual they will be assembling with the Mid-Atlantic H/D shelves.

Tim and Jason handling the SANUS rack going in for install.

Jason starting to put the H/D Mid Atlantic shelves in place.

Carlos and Tim are man handling the Classe' amp to be installed in the new SANUS rack.
As you can see below all three of them are handling the Classe' as it's so huge in size as well as it's weight.

Tim and Jason installing the last H/D shelf.

Here goes Carlos and Tim man handling the 2nd Classe' amp to be installed in the SANUS rack.
Tim is handing it to Carlos so he can get to the other side so all three of them can put it in place.

Rest of pictures below:
Phil1975m likes this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-03-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #144 of 298 Old 12-02-2018, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post Wolf Hill Technologies has installed the remaining Audio Components ...

2nd set of pictures.

Both Classe' amps are installed as well as the variable-speed fans for both.

Tim is getting ready to install the shelf for the 4K Ultra ROKU I spoke of earlier.

Carlos is switching out the plates to Brass colored metal plates as they actually blended in much better than the previous black ones.

New SANUS rack is going into place.

Jason installed a new Lutron remote for controlling only the entry foyer to the Garage, Home Theater and Kitchen areas.
It is so dark now in the HT that Jason told me there was a very easy way to turn On & Off the foyer light from where I sit in the HT.
Not only can you now remotely turn it on and off but you can also Dim it if you like all by the tiny remote.
I took a few pictures of all the remotes which includes this new very small Lutron one.

The below Black illuminated switch is on order so it matches the other Black rocker switches.
This one will control the garage and you can then see that you didn't leave the garage lights on by accident.

Jason also changed out the closet switch so we could easily see it when opening the door.
This is the full length closet on the right side of the screen facing it.

Okay I have made the attempt to show you the finished Home Theater and that's not all that easy in a totally black room.
But here is what I did come away with after practicing a lot but below is the best I could do.

Here are all the new remotes and if you look close you can see the really small Black Rectangle Remote that's for the entry foyer just added.

Last picture for now and this one is sort of {Special} to me and Cathy (Wife).
My long-long term buddy that's in San Antonio, TX. (Mr. Thomas Cochran} sent this to me and it just arrived yesterday.
He and I are both car guys and also Home Theater enthusiast and have been for a great many years.
So this I am going to share as all three of us really loved ABBA in their hey-day.

Hope you enjoyed this latest post,
Terry
Phil1975m likes this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-02-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #145 of 298 Old 12-03-2018, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Good Morning.

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy how you update us with your changes. Your room looks spectacular and I am sure it sounds amazing as well.

Having been a ChadB customer since 2003, you are in for a treat once he has finished your room. Chad has calibrated every audio and video device I have owned since 2003. Well worth the investment. In fact when I budget for my upgrades, part of what I budget for is the Chad calibration.

tigerhonaker likes this.
post #146 of 298 Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4583 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
FWIW, the move from your Integra to your Marantz should not be a huge move. Particularly if your Integra was also Audyssey based. What will be a HUGE move is adding Atmos/DTS:X. It is the ONLY change in my audio system my wife has noticed in the years we have been together. And while I have moved to much more expensive processors, each of which have great advantage over the ones they replaced, the initial move from 7.x to 7.x.4 via a Marantz was easily as important as upgrading to a higher level of processor.

So do I understand that you will still be non-Atmos when ChadB comes? That will be unfortunate since when you add the ceiling speakers, you will need someone to recalibrate your system.
post #147 of 298 Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11829 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Room looks good. You do need a universal remote.
post #148 of 298 Old 12-03-2018, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Looks like you could use a harmony remote!
post #149 of 298 Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Good Morning.

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy how you update us with your changes.
Your room looks spectacular and I am sure it sounds amazing as well.

Having been a ChadB customer since 2003, you are in for a treat once he has finished your room. Chad has calibrated every audio and video device I have owned since 2003. Well worth the investment. In fact when I budget for my upgrades, part of what I budget for is the Chad calibration.

Thanks for the compliments.
Speaking of Chad B in my case I have not yet seen him or had him do anything in my HT.
I was glad that Wolf Hill Technologies (Charles) had a cancellation and he put me in that spot.
Now that all the A/V gear as well as the RS4500 is installed this is working out really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
FWIW, the move from your Integra to your Marantz should not be a huge move. Particularly if your Integra was also Audyssey based. What will be a HUGE move is adding Atmos/DTS:X. It is the ONLY change in my audio system my wife has noticed in the years we have been together. And while I have moved to much more expensive processors, each of which have great advantage over the ones they replaced, the initial move from 7.x to 7.x.4 via a Marantz was easily as important as upgrading to a higher level of processor.

So do I understand that you will still be non-Atmos when ChadB comes?
That is correct I Do-Not have Atmos.
That will be unfortunate since when you add the ceiling speakers, you will need someone to recalibrate your system.
We are of the same Mind-Set regarding me wanting to once again get on Chad's Tour List once the Atmos is installed.
My thinking is and of course this is just the way I see having Chad do the Pro Audio right now.
I want my complete HT system to be all working as best it can with it's current configuration.
I have thought about this a lot and even went as far as to discuss the Audyssey Pro calibration $500 cost with Cathy.
We both feel like that it just makes sense while he is here to have him do both so that I then know it's the best it's going to be.
Then when we finally recover from all the expenses we just incurred from what we have just done I'll add the Atmos.
I could have went ahead and added Atmos now but this is why I didn't and this is just me and the way I do things.
When Atmos is added I want the speakers to match as close to the Focal JML Utopia speakers I now have as possible as well as the amp that drives those.
And not in anyway am I bragging or boasting guys but Cost in my case will not play a part in my decisions when it comes time for me adding Atmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Room looks good.
You do need a universal remote.
Mr. M. Garrett,
Thanks buddy the HT has turned out to actually exceed my and or our expectations.
Nope, ain't even remotely (LOL) interested in going to a single universal remote system.
Just not my thing I much-much prefer the exact remote to use for each device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
Looks like you could use a harmony remote!
Your surely right I could use one of the Harmony or other all in one remote devices but in my case I'll pass.

Thanks guys for checking things out,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 12-03-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #150 of 298 Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hi Terry,

Congratulations on another great post. I do not envy you having to deal with the preparation and posting of all those photos. It is quite generous of you to take the time to share all that has happened with your home theater these past months. I'm sure some people will find this thread quite useful.

Your room looks fantastic and the gear you have, both on the the video and audio sides, makes we mere mortals drool.

In just under two weeks you will have Chad B there to calibrate everything, which will be the proverbial topping on the cake. I really look forward to your summary of that day and the results of Chad's work as he will be coming to my house sometime this spring to do both the video and audio on my system.

I'm glad you can now finally enjoy your home theater as you have had it turned upside down many times in the past weeks. Maybe you and Cathy can celebrate by using your home theater as a dance floor to the great songs of ABBA playing.

Cheers my friend,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page