tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #211 of 298 Old 02-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Terry. Invest in a programmable remote, it will make you happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 298 Old 02-24-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Get Gray,

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
post #213 of 298 Old 03-06-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up I'm really liking this Newly installed component drape ...

Hi,

Well I have actually had the below Custom Black Velvet Drape for years now.
I removed it for a really long time so the components could get more air for cooling purposes.

As of yesterday afternoon I thought to myself, I bet I could reinstall the drape.
The reason being is the relocated Samsung Split-Unit air handler and the additional added in-wall fan to that same area.
(Now that the Samsung is right over top of that component area it's Cold-Air is being sucked right into the component area from the in-wall-fan).
All this was done with the last Major changes, up-grades.
Look to the (Right) of the component area and you can easily see the in-wall-variable-speed-fan.

Well guys as it has turned out very wise decision on my part as that in-wall-fan pulls tons of Cold-Air into that component area.
And in that area are 7-additional heat sensing automatic fans for the different components.
And those fans ramp up & down automatically according to the heat generated.

Anyway ran the HT system from yesterday afternoon until 10 pm last night and it all works perfect.
Additional bonuses are, no BRIGHT LED's, no component back-lights now showing, also it is much quieter with the Black Drape in place.
I done good guys.

This is a before picture,

This is a current picture,

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 298 Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Dear Terry (Mr. Home Decorator),

Looks good buddy.
Your bat cave just got a little darker.
Loving the way you have improved your Home Theater.

Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #215 of 298 Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Dear Terry (Mr. Home Decorator),

Looks good buddy.
Your bat cave just got a little darker.
Loving the way you have improved your Home Theater.

Cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom,

You know I have actually thought so many times about reinstalling that Black-Velvet-Drape and then just never seemed to actually do it.
So, finally yesterday I made it a point to get off my butt and make it happen.
And really as it actually turned-out I should have done this right when all the changes were completed.
It is now DARK-DARK in the HT and much-much quieter !!!

Terry

post #216 of 298 Old 03-06-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up I just love it when Fed Ex and or UPS drops packages off at the house ...

Hi guys,

Well my buddy from San Antonio, TX. has struck again this afternoon.
I'm speaking of Tom Cochran the guy that sends me Surprises and has been doing that for at least the last 10-years or so.

So UPS ran and below is what just arrived.

Thanks so much Mr. C. Cochran you are certainly a kind and overly very-generous gentleman.

Terry
Jive Turkey likes this.

post #217 of 298 Old 03-06-2019, 02:28 PM

Hi Terry,

I know how much you love surprises particularly when they have to deal with either cars or home theater. Good chance a second delivery will arrive tomorrow.
I just can't help myself helping you to enjoy your new man cave.
Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #218 of 298 Old 03-07-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Terry,

I know how much you love surprises particularly when they have to deal with either cars or home theater. Good chance a second delivery will arrive tomorrow.
I just can't help myself helping you to enjoy your new man cave.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom,

I have left the inside front-door open so we don't miss it when Fed Ex or UPS come today.
Going to be interesting for sure to see what's next.
Of course you don't make bad calls/decisions on your selections sent to me so No-Worries on that pal.

Terry

post #219 of 298 Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Wednesday 6th, 2019

Hi guys,

Well my buddy from San Antonio, TX. has struck again this afternoon.
I'm speaking of Tom Cochran the guy that sends me Surprises and has been doing that for at least the last 10-years or so.

So UPS ran and below is what just arrived.

Thanks so much Mr. C. Cochran you are certainly a kind and overly very-generous gentleman.

Terry
Thursday 7th, 2019

Hello HT guys,

Well look at what just showed up at the door this afternoon.
Man, I am totally set-up with 4K Ultra HDR Disc now for a long while.
Thanks to that long term buddy from San Antonio, TX. Tom Cochran.

We have been sending one another stuff for over 10-years now and we call it, The Secret Squirrel SURPRISE.
This started way-way back when Tom and I both had the 40th Anniversary (Steve McQueen) 2008 Limited Edition Bullitt Mustangs highly modified with Superchargers etc.
This picture was us attending a Bullitt Mustang get together in Lufkin, TX.

So as you can see I'm wearing the Secret Squirrel Tee-Shirt to that event.

Well, Tom & I also have always been into the HT thing as well as the fast cars.
So, we just kept doing the (Secret Squirrel) SURPRISE thing as the years have passed.
Sometimes Big surprises and other times much more normal things.
We are both older guys in our 70's so we have very similar mind-sets on doing things for a buddy even when it's totally UN-Necessary.

And speaking of brother Tom (Not Legally but in Heart) here he is visiting me many years ago.
We were both then heavily involved in the Bullitt Mustangs.
I'm pretty sure he flew-up to attend one of the NMRA drag races I was in back then at Bowling Green, KY.

This is Tom and Terry at this house.
I'm on the Left ............

Below is what just arrived this afternoon and now I am surely all set for having a wide-variety of choices for watching 4K Ultra HDR movies.

I'll be watching these on my new

Tom Cathy (Wife) and I luv what you picked out and looking forward to watching All-of-Them !!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
post #220 of 298 Old 03-08-2019, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4569 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
I can't recall. Have you installed Atmos speakers yet? If so, how do you like what they have done for your audio immersive ness? If no, what is the plan to do so? They will make an improvement in your awesome theater AT LEAST AS SIGNIFICANT as did the upgrades to the RS4500 - (In my opinion, much more so).

Your friend has given you some very nice HDR movies. Jupiter Ascending has an amazing Atmos sound track and the others will most certainly exercise all of your speakers.

Enjoy
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #221 of 298 Old 03-08-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4569 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
+1. The stuff you can do in addition to just controlling your audio gear makes it that much better. For example, while watching a movie, hit the pause button to take a bathroom break or pour yourself a drink. pause the movie and have the lights come up enough so you don't trip all over something. Then hit the play button, and the lights go back off. I happen to use Control4 but there are other less expensive solutions (as well as some even more expensive). In my case, my "programmable remote" controls the projector, surround processor, Oppo, AppleTV, Dune, DishTV, screen masking system - which means it replaced 7 remotes.

Not audio related, at night, at the push of the "Good Night" button, it closes the garage door if left open, locks the front door, turns off all lights that may be left on in the house, can set the house alarm - and can control the thermostat.

Whichever control system you select, they are really a great solution.

Just trying to keep your "to-do" list from being empty
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #222 of 298 Old 03-08-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I can't recall. Have you installed Atmos speakers yet?
If so, how do you like what they have done for your audio immersive ness? If no, what is the plan to do so? They will make an improvement in your awesome theater AT LEAST AS SIGNIFICANT as did the upgrades to the RS4500 - (In my opinion, much more so).

Your friend has given you some very nice HDR movies. Jupiter Ascending has an amazing Atmos sound track and the others will most certainly exercise all of your speakers.

Enjoy
Chuck,

The really short answer is ......... nope.

A sort of longer reply is ...........
That buddy (Tom Cochran) and I both have the VW Golf R cars in common.
So around two years ago (2017) we both were looking to go to Audi for new cars.
Anyway to make this shorter we went with the Golf R instead and (Both) of us have greatly Up-Dated our Home Theaters.
He (Tom) was quicker than me with doing his new HT major improvements.
As you have read I actually have just gotten my done in the last months.
What does all the above have to do with ATMOS you might be asking yourself about now.

Simple, we both have now decided to actually place orders for the Audi RS3 sedans.
I did beat him by a little bit on that but he has now also went the same direction.
My link below if your remotely a car guy as well as a Home Theater fellow like Tom & I.
Audi 2019 RS3 on order January 5th 2019 ...
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...019-a-2965136/

Okay, my decision was to either get the new 2019 Audi RS3 sedan or go with a new ATMOS complete sound system ???
My decision after Cathy (Wife) and I both have seen and heard all sorts of material/media on the new HT.
Was to go with the new RS3 and this is actually why Chuck.
Because Chad set up my Audio in the Audio-Selections-Menu to (Simulate) ATMOS with my 7.4 (4-Subs) audio system.
And after Cathy and I had the time to really listen to the 4K Ultra HDR W/Atmos Audio we (Both) have decided we don't really need a complete separate ATMOS sound system.
What we have and what we are hearing is more than sufficient for (Both) of us.

And with the Full-Blown-Explanation above Cathy said to me, Terry why don't you Special order the Audi RS3 exactly as you want it instead of spending more monies on adding the ATMOS ???
I gave it some more thought and actually, a lot more very (Serious) thought and in my case I then took the time to listen to a lot more of the ATMOS Audio.
And in doing so came to the Final conclusion that I much preferred having a New Audi RS3 than spending more monies on adding ATMOS.

Chuck, buddy, and the last thing is I was totally over having any more A/V people in the HT screwing with it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
+1. The stuff you can do in addition to just controlling your audio gear makes it that much better. For example, while watching a movie, hit the pause button to take a bathroom break or pour yourself a drink. pause the movie and have the lights come up enough so you don't trip all over something. Then hit the play button, and the lights go back off. I happen to use Control4 but there are other less expensive solutions (as well as some even more expensive). In my case, my "programmable remote" controls the projector, surround processor, Oppo, AppleTV, Dune, DishTV, screen masking system - which means it replaced 7 remotes.

Not audio related, at night, at the push of the "Good Night" button, it closes the garage door if left open, locks the front door, turns off all lights that may be left on in the house, can set the house alarm - and can control the thermostat.

Whichever control system you select, they are really a great solution.

Just trying to keep your "to-do" list from being empty
Chuck,

So I don't forget thanks buddy for thinking of me and suggesting these much needed H/T improvements.

Man oh man you have the stuff the real stuff for sure.

In my case I luv having separate remotes for each piece of my A/V gear.

So I'm sticking with all my separate remotes and just so you guys know I have multiple remotes for (Adjusting/Dimming) all the H/T Sconce-Lights as well as the hall light leading to the H/T.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-08-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #223 of 298 Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Hi Terry,

I'm glad you received the Secret Squirrel and that you are happy with the selections I made. I think you will find both the audio and video on these discs to be excellent although I have not seen Die Hard in 4K. With regard to Jupiter Ascending as I recall I was even more impressed with the video than the audio but it was some time ago that I watched and listened to it.

I agree with your decision to go for the Audi RS3 rather than Atmos. Although I am glad I did the four on-ceiling Atmos speakers if I had had to chose between that and the RS3 I, too, would have gone for the Hot-Rod. In future you can always change your mind about adding Atmos and in the meantime you have a killer audio system so you are not missing all that much. I look at Atmos as a "nice to have" feature but by no means a "necessity." With Atmos discs it is a very nice addition, but the upmixing feature for non-Atmos material (90% of what I listen to) doesn't add all that much, depending on the source.

By the way, I also prefer to have separate remotes rather than a universal. Maybe it's because I have been using separates for over 50 years and just don't want to change old habits.

Enjoy the new 4K movies. I know in your home theater you will be getting the absolute best video and sound possilbe what with all the upgrades you have done.

Cheers,
Tom
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #224 of 298 Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Terry,

I'm glad you received the Secret Squirrel and that you are happy with the selections I made. I think you will find both the audio and video on these discs to be excellent although I have not seen Die Hard in 4K. With regard to Jupiter Ascending as I recall I was even more impressed with the video than the audio but it was some time ago that I watched and listened to it.

I agree with your decision to go for the Audi RS3 rather than Atmos. Although I am glad I did the four on-ceiling Atmos speakers if I had had to chose between that and the RS3 I, too, would have gone for the Hot-Rod. In future you can always change your mind about adding Atmos and in the meantime you have a killer audio system so you are not missing all that much. I look at Atmos as a "nice to have" feature but by no means a "necessity." With Atmos discs it is a very nice addition, but the upmixing feature for non-Atmos material (90% of what I listen to) doesn't add all that much, depending on the source.

By the way, I also prefer to have separate remotes rather than a universal. Maybe it's because I have been using separates for over 50 years and just don't want to change old habits.

Enjoy the new 4K movies. I know in your home theater you will be getting the absolute best video and sound possilbe what with all the upgrades you have done.

Cheers,
Tom
Hey bro Tom,

Well you know the two of us have discussed the RS3 versus adding the very-very expensive ATMOS to my HT system.
Right now it's just not all that important and having the Audi RS3 is.

Might do the ATMOS if that Bullitt Mustang gets SOLD.

I think I might now go to the HT and actually watch that 4K Ultra High Definition 30th Anniversary Die-Hard movie.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #225 of 298 Old 03-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This looks awesome! I am thinking about using the Rosco to paint a room, and I am wondering how you like it so far? I am concerned about how well it holds up to accidental contact, both people and objects, and if it has any issues with scuff/gray-marks being left since it is such a dark flat paint. I'm considering mixing it down with a half gallon of rosco gloss glaze and 1.5 gallons of water to get a 2:1 dilution with a finish more in line with eggshell, for durability. Any thoughts on your experience with it so far would be very welcome, thank you!
post #226 of 298 Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterhawk View Post
This looks awesome! I am thinking about using the Rosco to paint a room, and I am wondering how you like it so far? I am concerned about how well it holds up to accidental contact, both people and objects, and if it has any issues with scuff/gray-marks being left since it is such a dark flat paint. I'm considering mixing it down with a half gallon of rosco gloss glaze and 1.5 gallons of water to get a 2:1 dilution with a finish more in line with eggshell, for durability. Any thoughts on your experience with it so far would be very welcome, thank you!

Carterhawk,

Here is what I can report.
Mine (Home Theater) does not show any-wear at all, none, zilch

And after saying the above which is a fact not an opinion.
We Cathy (Wife) and I have no-children and seldom have visitors so it will stay exactly as it was completed.

Now .............
Let me give you my (Opinion) if a person had visitors, younger-children or even semi teenager types as their children or visitors.
And if any of the above could not or would not take (Direction/Instructions) from the owner of the house.
I think it could turn out "EXTREMELY" BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD
The Rosco Velvet Black is for really professional use in Media Rooms/Areas.
It is not for where there is going to be the following, {constant touching, rubbing, fingering, wiping, cleaning, lying against, leaning on, etc. etc. etc.

You asked me so I am telling you exactly what I really-honestly think !!!

I think you have probably looked over this thread and if so you saw that they did try different companies paints.
Not one of those even remotely comes close to the Rosco.
And I should let you know for it to look as it should IMHO Do-Not (Dilute) it at all.

The few times I have had ADULTS in the H/T after it was completed with the Rosco I said to everyone of them the following before they even came near the stairs leading up to the actual H/T.
Guys, I'm not wanting at all to come across to any of you as a Smart-Ass but hear me out before you go up the stairs to the H/T.
Do-Not touch any part of the walls going up the stairs or in the actual H/T.
That also means DON'T FEEL, TOUCH, EXAMPLE BY TOUCHING-FEELING THE WALLS TO SEE WHAT THE ROSCO FEELS LIKE.

Those were the technicians and owner of the A/V store that set-up all the Audio/Video components and I have known these guys for a great many years.
Even though the above is true I still made sure they did not touch any of the ROSCO Black Painted areas, period.

I think I have said what I would want another guy to tell me if I asked exactly what you have me.

Terry Honaker

BTW,
Just as information that H/T was Super Expensive to have done completely in the Rosco Velvet Black from Start to Finish.
Once is enough for this fellow I would not wish to do that again it's a real Major-Pain to have done and this guy, me, is retired.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-13-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: incorrect words changed ..........
post #227 of 298 Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the response, tells me a lot about what i'd be working with. Based on your experience with it, do you think mixing it with some of Rosco's seal or using the seal as a top-coat would make it less susceptible to scuffing and marking? I'm painting a bedroom and wall contact is inevitable. My next best option seems to be getting the local Sherwin Williams to mix me as dark a black as they can get, hopefully closer to the Rosco than their Tricorn Black color.

Thanks!
post #228 of 298 Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterhawk View Post
Thank you for the response, tells me a lot about what i'd be working with. Based on your experience with it, do you think mixing it with some of Rosco's seal or using the seal as a top-coat would make it less susceptible to scuffing and marking? I'm painting a bedroom and wall contact is inevitable. My next best option seems to be getting the local Sherwin Williams to mix me as dark a black as they can get, hopefully closer to the Rosco than their Tricorn Black color.

Thanks!
Hi Carter,

I have read where a few of the guys have (Mixed) with other sealers to assist in much better overall (Protection & Daily-Maintenance) with the Rosco.

I can't really comment as I have only the Rosco Velour Black and it was applied "Full-Strength".
Also I should mention they applied the other Brands of the Flat Black to seal the areas completely that had all the Repair-Work-Done.
So, when they actually applied the two (2) Full Coats of the Rosco Full-Strength it totally covered the H/T and it does look PERFECT.
No-Streaks or anything at all just a Super-Smooth Black Finish.

Just so you know, both those guys had the Rosco Black on them and the one fellow that did the rolling on the ceiling was actually COVERED in the Rosco and believe me I'm serious.
It covered that guy up and his face looked almost Black and he was not a Black Fellow.

Also, more information that if your not a Professional Painter ???
I Highly-Suggest you contract a Company to do the work and also make DAMN sure the actual Techs are Confident in Applying the Rosco ???
I'm serious buddy as most painters have never-ever even heard of the Rosco-Velour-Black paint !!!
Much less had any Hands-On experience applying it.

I can tell you before the guys that did my work came 1st with the owner and actually checked-out the Rosco in person.
I don't think my short-term-memory is good enough to actually quote them but this is basically what they said regarding the Rosco.
And the Main-Lead-Painter had many-many years of experience so he was not new to using High-End-Paint.
Lead-Guy said something like, Terry this is the (Thickest & Heaviest) paint I have ever seen in all my years of painting buddy.
And I have worked daily with very High-End-Quality Paints .............
They opened one of the containers and then applied it Full-Strength to the wall to see how working with it was going to be ???
Since I had two (2) complete gallons of the other Brands of Flat Black still the Owner & I tried earlier they decided to do the complete H/T with them 1st.
That way as the Lead-Painter said to me we won't be wasting ANY of the Expensive Rosco covering where we did all the Repairs.

What I'm attempting to get across to you the Rosco is NOT an easy paint to work with at all and those guys do that for a living.
Also as you might recall I have a totally separate HVAC Samsung Split-Unit in the H/T ???
We set the temperature at like 85-Degrees and I manually set the Fan-Speed on High for Maximum Air-Distribution.
Plus on top of that I also had two (2) Floor-Box-Fans running on HIGH-Speed.
The reason for the above to Help/Assist the Rosco to DRY Quick-as-Possible.

I was there in person all the time watching and assisting as needed so believe me I know exactly what took place and how Hard/Difficult it was.

The H/T room dimensions are like, 20-Feet-Wide, 24 Feet-Long, with 9 Feet Ceiling in Center.

Lastly, when someone asked another Adult for information I think they wouldn't ask if they didn't want the FACTS and that's what I'm providing.

If you have any further questions you think I could help you with, please, ask ..............

This I Do-Not think will apply to your situation but for your information when I said once was enough for me I was serious buddy.
Having what you see done from all the pictures I posted Cost me like $4,000.00 US Dollars and a heck of a lot of time & effort on my part and all the other people involved.
I just decided to have the H/T done as right as possible and placed the overall expense to the side.
I'm 100% Totally-Satisfied with the End-Results but like I said once is enough for this Retired Fellow.

Terry Honaker aka tigerhonaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #229 of 298 Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Terry, Congratulations on the RS4500 and other upgrades! I'm glad to see that you are VERY happy with the improvements to the system.

It seems that the changes you have made are:

4K laser RS4500 vs 1080p lamp based Runco
Moving the seating closer to the screen
Lowering the screen
Sound system additions and modifications
UHD 4K disc player and discs
Upgrades to HVAC
Rosco Black painting

In terms of INCREASED ENJOYMENT OF CONTENT, which changes were most important to you?

Thanks,
Ron
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #230 of 298 Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
Terry, Congratulations on the RS4500 and other upgrades! I'm glad to see that you are VERY happy with the improvements to the system.

It seems that the changes you have made are:

4K laser RS4500 vs 1080p lamp based Runco
Moving the seating closer to the screen
Lowering the screen
Sound system additions and modifications
UHD 4K disc player and discs
Upgrades to HVAC
Rosco Black painting

In terms of INCREASED ENJOYMENT OF CONTENT, which changes were most important to you?

Thanks,
Ron
Hello Ron,

If I were to pick the one (1) change that without any doubt has made/contributed to the overall quality and ENJOYMENT it is without any doubt

the

I have owned a lot of different projectors over the years in the same H/T.
And all of those were for the High-Middle-Class working family the better units.
The last two (2) Runco units carried an MSRP of $30K plus taxes, install.
So to me that's expensive ............

And based on those prior projectors this RS4500 Laser projector has a picture with the Higher-End-Quality like HD, HDR & 4K Ultra HDR that truly is BREATHTAKING.

So, what has made the most DRAMATIC difference to not just me but also to Cathy (Wife) it is without ANY-DOUBT the JVC RS4500 buddy.

All the other things I have had done to me are to simply SUPPORT the RS4500 and to add to it's overall picture quality.

Lastly,
I thank-you kind Sir for checking in on my H/T and from your above post I see you are definitely reading closely to what's been done.

Thanks again,
Terry

post #231 of 298 Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey Terry,
I have been following your H/T upgrade with great envy. You had one of the best setups before you upgraded and now it's just incredible. I have been trying not to start upgrading mine but my Integra processor failed on me last month and I got a new DRC-R1.1 to replace it. Now I want to add some speakers, so I can do the Atmos and DTS X sound tracks. I am going to keep my JVC projector for now, as my seating position is far enough back that 1080P still looks great. Maybe next year I will upgrade to a 4K projector, I'll just have to wait and see, until then I can live vicariously through your setup.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Earl
post #232 of 298 Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8flyr View Post
Hey Terry,
I have been following your H/T upgrade with great envy. You had one of the best setups before you upgraded and now it's just incredible. I have been trying not to start upgrading mine but my Integra processor failed on me last month and I got a new DRC-R1.1 to replace it. Now I want to add some speakers, so I can do the Atmos and DTS X sound tracks. I am going to keep my JVC projector for now, as my seating position is far enough back that 1080P still looks great. Maybe next year I will upgrade to a 4K projector, I'll just have to wait and see, until then I can live vicariously through your setup.
Hello Earl,

Well what to say ............

I have had in the past several of the Integra Pre-amp processors also.
I enjoyed them and the reason this time around I changed is because of all the research I did and found out the Marantz AV8805 was the stuff.
My A/V dealer actually was much more into the Integra line actually and this time I overrode his suggestion and went with this new Marantz Model that at the time had just came out.
It is an excellent machine and in my case I have nothing negative to report at all about it's performance.
It's much-much more expensive than the Integra but at my age I decided I'll just do this as right as possible and not get hung-up on initial cost.

I can say that now the H/T is truly an Awesome place to be for enjoying any movie but certainly for the 4K Ultra HDR movies.
When the RS4500 automatically switches to High-Laser for the HDR and 4K Ultra HDR it is a BRILLIANT picture on my Stewart Firehawk 123" 16x9 screen.
In-Fact, to take this one additional step on brightness.
If one's eyes are even a little tired or your a little tired the picture even on Medium Laser will simply make your eyes (Water).
It is a BRIGHT image buddy even on the Mid-Laser Power Setting.

If you have followed this thread from the beginning and I think you have.
You would have seen where multiple times I have commented on the Best decision I have ever made in the H/T was the addition of the JVC RS4500 Laser projector.
It is that Bad-Ass !!!

I did STOP on adding the ATMOS for a number of personal reasons that I have already mentioned.
If things continue with us having a very-very positive cash flow I might later on still have the ATMOS ceiling speakers and additional 4-channel-Amp added.
I'm not at all opposed to ATMOS and what it brings to the table it's simply a matter to me of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

As things stand we can easily live with exactly what we now have in the H/T and could leave it as it is with No-Worries on enjoyment.

Take care,
Terry

BTW,

I use to be into the Mustang thing in a Major-Way !!!

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/N...8-ford-mustang

post #233 of 298 Old 03-19-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Terry,

The JVC 4500 is undoubtedly a great improvement from the Runco DLP. Most significant aspects for you? Black level? More pixels? Color rendition? Other?

I'd have thought that the increased apparent size thanks to moving the furniture closer would be a significant benefit. Also perhaps the more comfortable viewing with the lowered screen....

As I recall your screen has 4-way masking. Do you use the adjustments regularly?

Thanks, Ron
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #234 of 298 Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

[quote=R Johnson;57773296]
Terry,

The JVC 4500 is undoubtedly a great improvement from the Runco DLP.

Most significant aspects for you? Increased Brightness

Black level? The Black level to (me) is great

More pixels? Well as you probably know the Runco VX11d was a Max of 1080p.
So the two projectors really in that respect cannot be compared.

Color rendition? The colors are always looking A-OK but when viewing the 4K Ultra HDR for like, Planet Earth 1& 2 they are just truly something to behold.
The picture then just instantly brings a to one's face.
Saturation and Sharpness is AWESOME !!!

Other? You know Ron honestly I really was (Dreading) having to change from the last Runco VX11d DLP 1080p projector.
We thought it had such an outstanding picture as well as anyone else that had been visiting us and enjoying the H/T.
I know I had commented to Cathy (Wife) as well as my closet buddy (Tom) in San Antonio, TX. the following multiple times.
I hate going through this as there is No-Way to actually see any of these Higher-End projectors, Sony ES5000 & JVC RS4500 in person.
And both of them are to me Super EXPENSIVE no matter what I actually end up paying for either.
To the point now ...........
Once the RS4500 was partially installed, meaning, hung and the picture sized to my screen, ONLY.
We turned it on and I can tell you the A/V Techs as well as myself, Cathy were all somewhat Spell-Bound by what we saw.
We pulled up the multiple 4K Ultra HDR Demos on You-tube to view.
If I was a heck of a lot better using the English language which I'm not I could do a much-much better job of describing exactly what all of us saw that day.
The picture at the time was on High-Laser as the picture was 4K Ultra HDR Demos.
BRILLIANT, Colors so SATURATED, SHARPNESS (BEYOND) belief and if you actually knew me you would know I tell things EXACTLY as they are.
I knew instantly I had just IMHO Totally-100% - Lucked-Out !!!
I got ALL my Monies Worth and much-much-much more ..............
If your wondering if I was Smiling ???
Not only was I smiling, so were the Techs, as well as Cathy all of us could not get enough of watching the You-tube 4K Ultra HDR demos.
Seriously, Ron, we were Spell-Bound as those A/V Techs had never-ever seen a JVC RS4500 Laser projector much less installed one.
They ended-up staying for awhile, actually make that a few hours. LOL !!!
Cathy was working in her office up-stairs but came down to see what it actually looked like and was Totally-Blown-Away.
And my wife Ron is not all that much into my or any other H/T it's NOT something she is all into but this change she was easily, totally, 100% Super-Satisfied with.

Keep in mind buddy (Ron) all those guys did was hang it and size the image to the Stewart Firehawk 1.35 gain 123" 16x9 screen.
They made (No-Adjustments/Calibrations) period as I told the lead tech (Jason) Chad B. is already scheduled to be here so don't Screw with Picture buddy.

We have now gotten 1,200 hours on it since taking delivery on 9-19-2018.

Speaking of Cathy, she has said to me multiple times, Terry this is the BEST single thing you have ever done to the H/T.

I'd have thought that the increased apparent size thanks to moving the furniture closer would be a significant benefit.

Yes, I played around with moving the seating for a few hours 1-day.
I even tried it as close as I think 8-feet from the screen.
Then slowly, methodically inched it back viewing the exact same multiple sources.
It ended up being 12' 6" as I recall.
And the reason for that distance was a couple of things.

(1) When viewing the much poorer sources from say Dish, older DVDs versus newer HD, HDR & 4K Ultra HDR it was apparent the 12' 6" was the best compromise.
I'll add this, I have little doubt you have read on this AVS internet site many times like myself that you have to be Super-Close to the viewing screen to actually Enjoy, Benefit the HDR & 4K Ultra HDR sources.
Well buddy my personal opinion as well as the people that have been here in this H/T I can tell you that's a Bunch-of-Crap !!!
Believe me when I switch from say Dish which is 1080i to using my ROKU Ultra for viewing HD, HDR & 4K Ultra HDR you can damn sure easily see the improvement in picture quality.
There is IMHO No-Need to have one's self sitting so close to the viewing screen that anything less than HD (High-Definition) like viewing Dish looks like CRAP.

(2) When I STOPPED after moving the seating to both the 8' & 10' distances and then looked around at the speaker locations.
It quickly then, thank-goodness, made me realize, DUMMY you will be right on top of all the front speakers and way the Hell away from the Rear-Surround-Speakers.
I then took the tape and measured the distances from the Left & Right (Front-Speakers) and did the same to the Left & Right (Rear Speakers) to the MLP.
What a JOKE !!!
So then taking into consideration not only picture quality but also all speaker placement it ended-up being the 12' 6" distance.
I knew I had done good as when the A/V Techs came to install/hang the RS4500 they even said you are exactly where you should be for seating.
Then, Chad B. came and he even told me that I had my seating exactly in the (MIDDLE) of the Home Theater.
Chad B. Ron as you might have read in my earlier posts did Both the Audio as well as the Video Custom Calibrating.
So that's how the distance was Finalized and Fortunately I did do it right.

Lastly,
Also, I have recently as staying on the JVC RS4500 Dedicated Thread found out just how many actual viewing hours guys use their H/T.
It would floor most people to see that in many-many cases these High-Dollar Dedicated Home Theaters are barely used at all.
In some cases less than 500 hours in a year.
As you read above I have already gotten 1,200 hours on mine in a matter of a little over 4-months.
I mention the above Ron for a reason so hang with me ..........
Once you know what these guys actually VIEW you can then understand them sitting the much closer-viewing-distances they do.
And especially when you also find out their Home Theaters are hardly even used as in reading the Hours they Posted.
In my case it would be a really TERRIBLE idea to place my sitting to like 8-feet or actually 10-feet from my 123" screen.
Because of me/us constantly watching programming we store on the Dish DVR which is 1080i.
Or the couple of thousand DVDs I have ..........

Also perhaps the more comfortable viewing with the lowered screen....

Having the screen lowered to where we now view the center of it when we actually sit at a slight-lean is perfect.
When the screen was 1st installed way-way back by another A/V company that's where they decided it should be.
And once again me being 100% honest I didn't give any input as I actually back then didn't really know where it should be Height-Wise.
To take this to what just took place with lowering it.
It was like 4-grown-men actually involved in that procedure.
I was the 4th adult helping hold it in place on one side as it was UN-Bolted from the wall.
One might think this would be a simple thing to do but since I was there in person I can say, it's a bitch, major job for even multiple men !!!

However, once it was done and in place it is exactly where it should be and it's added a lot to the overall viewing experience for sure.
It also as you know allowed me to readjust our seating position to it.
It's a HUGE picture now and honestly, it's like having a 123" Ultra-Bright Flat-Screen-T/V !!!
I had considered going larger ..........
Then I calmed myself down and thought about the much-much bigger picture so to speak and took the following things into account.
If I do go bigger then what actually happens to that Super-Bright-Picture I have now when the RS4500 over-time loses POWER
Of course one answer to the above would have been for me/us to go way-way into savings and gotten the Sony ES5000.
And truthfully that was taken into serious-serious consideration by Cathy and myself.
It was mutually decided and agreed on that sitting at the new 12' distance to a 10-foot picture was easily more than sufficient for both of us.
Well, as you know we passed on the Larger Screen ...........

As I recall your screen has 4-way masking.
Do you use the adjustments regularly?

Yes, I use it almost daily just according to obviously viewing content.
But, I use now all of it's features as some of the older programming is actually I think termed, 4.3 and then the newer is 2.35 or maybe 2.40 size.
So the 4-way masking comes in handy no matter what is being viewed.
And it's all done (Remotely) from where I am sitting which is super convenient.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-20-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Corrected (Wrong-Date) ...........
post #235 of 298 Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Terry,

Thanks so much for your extensive(!) comments in reply to my inquiries. You have certainly been cured of writer's block!
I'm using a 1920x1080 DLP and a 16:9 screen. So I am "blessed" with gray bars above and below a widescreen image.

And I'm in the living space of a high-rise condominium with light colored walls.

Being able to just see the image in a field of black would be a very significant improvement.
As I'm not going to do black paint or 4-way masking, I've just watch the video and enjoy...

You are fortunate to have been able to create an ideal viewing environment. It's great that you are getting so much use and enjoyment from your investment.

Hours of use: When I first installed this (3rd) projector I used it about 600-700 hours per year. Now, about 500.

Ron
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #236 of 298 Old 03-22-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
Terry,

Thanks so much for your extensive(!) comments in reply to my inquiries. You have certainly been cured of writer's block!
I'm using a 1920x1080 DLP and a 16:9 screen. So I am "blessed" with gray bars above and below a widescreen image.

And I'm in the living space of a high-rise condominium with light colored walls.

Being able to just see the image in a field of black would be a very significant improvement.
As I'm not going to do black paint or 4-way masking, I've just watch the video and enjoy...

You are fortunate to have been able to create an ideal viewing environment. It's great that you are getting so much use and enjoyment from your investment.

Hours of use: When I first installed this (3rd) projector I used it about 600-700 hours per year. Now, about 500.

Ron
Hi Ron,

Well my H/T Internet Buddy.

I gave my earlier reply some thought and decided to actually take the time necessary to give you a real, Down-to-Earth reply to all your questions/comments.

Being retired I can take the time to do that sort of thing if I think the person asking is really wanting to know what I actually think and why I did the things I did.

Also, telling it like it is for me ............
I actually enjoy talking with another adult when they are asking questions to me about the H/T.
You are one of those people that when I see and read your post I take them as 100% Legit.

We use the H/T 7-days a week buddy.
It's a HUGE investment for sure but with us both enjoy spending time in it, it's worth it to us.

Terry

post #237 of 298 Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
AVS Members & Guest,

Things are moving right along guys in the HT Phase #1 project.

Hiller Pluming & Heating was here yesterday from like 8:30 am until 4:00 pm.
I have done business with the Company for a lot of years and glad I switched to them from a small business here in Franklin.

Not any additional text/words needed as I made very specific notes on each picture which I think works out really well.
I will add this, if you can this is an excellent way to control the temperature in your Home Theaters guys and it is Super Quiet on Lowest-Fan-Speed.

Pictures below enjoy,

Terry

Are you having issues with the AC just going right down the stairs? I like the looks of the move obviously but the functionality seems to be lacking. I'm sure the unit will compensate by just pushing for AC into the room though right?
post #238 of 298 Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Are you having issues with the AC just going right down the stairs?
I like the looks of the move obviously but the functionality seems to be lacking.
I'm sure the unit will compensate by just pushing for AC into the room though right?
Well I can comment as that was done months ago and as you may have seen I did go with the JVC RS4500 Laser projector.
And believe me the RS4500 on Mid and especially High-Laser produces an (Abundance-of-Heat) !!!
I know I didn't say anything about fan-noise as you are asking about the Samsung.

Here is what you really want to know I think.
The Samsung holds the preset temperature where-ever I set it.
In the beginning I actually had it set at 73-Degrees and of course on Automatic.
Honestly, that's pretty darn cold when simply sitting on leather furniture and not moving around at all for hours and hours.
So, I now actually pay closer attention to what I'm actually going to more than likely be viewing.
Examples, Dish, DVD, Blu-ray DVDs streaming with the Roku Ultra for say 1080p or HD content.
All of the above examples I listed are run on Mid-Laser with the RS4500.
And because it's only going to be on Mid-Laser I can actually raise the H/T temperature to either 74 or 75 degrees and the RS4500 Fan still stays easily acceptable Noise-Wise.
Now the Flip-Side I know I am going to watch 4K Ultra HDR disc or even stream HDR and 4K Ultra HDR.
I then reset the H/T temperature to 73-degrees and the RS4500 fan speed/noise still stays very acceptable.
Keep in mind that I'm NOT saying you could not hear the RS4500 Fans running if ???????????
You Paused the movie to a totally silent room.
I more deal with what I refer to as Real-World-Listening & Viewing so that being said the RS4500 fan speeds as well as noise is ZERO of an issue.

Hang in here with me buddy you asked so I'm willing to do my best at completely answering your questions/comments.

Does the Cold-Air travel to the Stair-Well and more to the Back of the H/T ???????
Of course it does and one of the Main-Reasons is because the Samsung has (Adjustable) Output Vents for both Up & Down as well as Left & Right air flow.
I have mine adjusted as high as they can go and also have them turned to the right so they BLOW to the Back of the H/T in the direction of the RS4500.

If ???
What you really-really wish to know is the following I can make the rest of my replies a lot shorter.
Does the Samsung cool the H/T and the RS4500 easily and as I hoped it would ???
Yes, easily !!!
Would I do the exact same thing again ???
Yes, for a FACT ...

If you have any further questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer you in detail as I always do with anyone inquiring about my H/T.

Terry

post #239 of 298 Old 03-23-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 92
"Hang in here with me buddy you asked so I'm willing to do my best at completely answering your questions/comments."

Now that line had me laughing. I ask because I have a similar set up with my mini split being next to a staircase and the fan is noticeable when running. So the longer the AC has to run to longer I have to hear the fan. Of course it keeps the room cold no problem. Ive got 6 other fans blowing (various equipment cooling) at times so my theater is NEVER dead quiet but every little bit help ya know. I've thought about moving it just had to many other things going on to get it done.

Also your black paint job has inspired my to paint a bunch of glossy white trim I have in the theater right now. Another thing I should have done years ago but anyway thx for the inspiration.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #240 of 298 Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
"Hang in here with me buddy you asked so I'm willing to do my best at completely answering your questions/comments."

Now that line had me laughing. I ask because I have a similar set up with my mini split being next to a staircase and the fan is noticeable when running. So the longer the AC has to run to longer I have to hear the fan. Of course it keeps the room cold no problem. Ive got 6 other fans blowing (various equipment cooling) at times so my theater is NEVER dead quiet but every little bit help ya know. I've thought about moving it just had to many other things going on to get it done.

Also your black paint job has inspired my to paint a bunch of glossy white trim I have in the theater right now. Another thing I should have done years ago but anyway thx for the inspiration.
Liquid$team,

In my case I have Twin-Fans over both the Classe' amps in the component area.
Oh I also have two more sets of twin fans pulling HEAT away from the stacked components in the same area.
All the way at the top of that stacked components there is the fan that is blowing HEAT out the front.
All the fans are variable speed according to the HEAT generated they will ramp up & down.

There is also recently the addition of the Wall-Variable-Speed Fan pulling the cooled air into the Component area.

I did recently reinstall the Black-Velvet-Curtain to the Front of the Component Area.
I was actually a little SURPRISED it did and is making things noticeably quieter.
I decided to reinstall it after thinking I might be able to do that now that the Wall-Variable-Speed fan is pulling the cooler air into that area.

Then there is the Samsung Split-Unit and of course it's fans are variable according to the HEAT.

If that's not enough then I have the JVC RS4500 Laser that does produce HEAT and if on High-Laser a lot of HEAT.
And the more HEAT it produces the Higher it's fans run and if they are running on HIGH they can doggone sure be heard.
Even with the Front-Fan-Deflectors installed as I have.

So, in summary .............
The cooler the H/T the less overall noise so I'm keeping it between 73 & 74 degrees.
If I leave the temperature set and don't mess around changing it even the Samsung runs pretty darn quiet.
And the RS4500 fans also stay very-very quiet even if I watch HDR or 4K Ultra HDR which automatically puts the RS4500 on High-Laser.
And if the H/T is not kept pretty darn cool then the RS4500 will Definitely RAMP-UP it's fans to Turbo-Mode which is noticeable for sure.

I'm on this site daily reading and have seen where there are members that any noise to them is Unacceptable !!!

I Do-Not fall into that group at all.
I don't listen to my H/T system in a low volume so some noise to me is just not a big deal.
To take the above ^^^ further, I don't hear the fans is what I'm saying while actually listening the the system at normal listening levels.
Sometimes I do adjust the H/T temperature up to warm-up the room.
If I do that which is no big deal if I'm not watching any HDR or 4K Ultra HDR the RS4500 internal fans still stay on lower speeds.
Where this can (Sometimes) be a concern is me then switching to the HDR & 4K Ultra HDR movies where the H/T is now warmer.
Of course the RS4500 is going to ramp up it's internal fan speeds to stay cool.
That's when I then have to drop the temperature back to the 73-Degrees and Manually set the Samsung's fan speed higher.

It's really just a matter I think of what the owner is willing to except in regards to noise levels.
It's just not all that big a deal to me and I simply adjust things as needed to control the noise level accordingly.

Terry

IN THIS HOME THEATER

Up-Dated March 2019

Pre-Amp: Marantz AV8805
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player
Roku Ultra 4K Streaming Player
Projector: JVC RS4500 Laser
Screen: Stewart (Firehawk) 1.35 gain 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Speakers: JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, Center Utopia, Side Utopia, Rear Mini Utopia
Subwoofers: 4-Mirage BPS400 sitting on 4 "Auralex Great Gramma" pads
Cables: Transparent TW Plus w/Plus Bricks
Amps: Classe', 2-CA201, 3-CAM350
Power Conditioners: 1-Richard Gray RGPC-1200S, 7-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 Back up Power Unit for JVC RS4500
Cooling: 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM (Active Thermal Management)
Mid Atlantic: Track 50" rack slide out
Sanus CFR1620 Rack W/Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic: Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating: Ekornes Stressless Wave

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-24-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page