tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ...

Hello,


I have been very recently chatting with some very knowledgeable members over on a Thread,
When is the next line of 4k projectors comming?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...s-comming.html

And in doing so I have gotten some really 1st hand information on some of the important matters to me concerning my Home Theater.
I'm wanting to do changes/up-dates to do and trying my best to get much more up to date as my last changes were back in 2011.
I'm now at a ripe old age of 73 so things don't come to me instantly anymore on all the new advances in technology.
Like the newer Laser projectors 4K DVD players, Latest Pre-Amp processors with Atmos, and the list goes on for sure.
Well to keep this a lot shorter I have as of this early morning met my Technician (Jason) from Wolf Hill Technologies, Nashville, TN.
Jason was at my home to replace both the fans in the Runco DHD controller so that hopefully it will keep on working as I continue to save monies for the Up-Dates.


Anyway below are the pictures I'm going to share with what Jason is going to be doing for me in the near future hopefully depending on Charles and pricing.


I'm doing this new Thread simply because the other Thread was really suppose to be about, The Next Line of 4K Projectors.
Thank goodness a lot of the members were Super-Nice and jumped in with answers to what I was asking relating to Laser projectors as well as some questions that were just in general.


Here below are the pictures of what's going to be taking place.
































































Below is the current Home Theater back in 2011 when it was last Up-Dated:













Completed pictures of the HT (Home Theater) today.

The Tech on left, (Jayson) & on the right (Charles) is the owner when they 1st made these initial changes, Wolf Hill Technologies in Nashville, TN.























Last pictures here is of the two Techs that did the install.
John on "Left" & Jayson on "Right".
Thanks guys for an Excellent job !!!


JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-10-2018 at 12:28 PM.
tigerhonaker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
You plan looks good Terry. Dropping the screen lower will be ideal with a closer seating position. Also, getting further away from the back wall sound improve the surround sound as you won't be right next to the rear surrounds ! Black paint is good -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&Q=&A=details
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
It's a great room already and things I'm sure can only get better... Love the Ekornes Stressless seating.
That Runco is a beast!
bobof is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Moving the seating forward also moves you away from the projector - and puts it further behind you. I don't much like them right over me or too close.
bobof likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #5 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,301
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11647 Post(s)
Liked: 9211
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
With image starting at 16", check and make sure your feet do not block the bottom of the image, when reclined.
tigerhonaker likes this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #6 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 02:22 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Moving the seating forward also moves you away from the projector - and puts it further behind you. I don't much like them right over me or too close.
I wouldn't want something that size above me either... . Every time I see folk sat under a CRT I shudder...
I wish I had the space to get out from under my PJ as the eShift mechanism certainly has some... shall we say... "character".
tigerhonaker likes this.
bobof is online now  
post #7 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You plan looks good Terry. Dropping the screen lower will be ideal with a closer seating position. Also, getting further away from the back wall sound improve the surround sound as you won't be right next to the rear surrounds ! Black paint is good -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&Q=&A=details
Yes we did the tape measure thing and from what we saw it will place us very close to looking at the (Center) of the screen.


Also we were discussing the new location as you that we will then be almost in the middle of the room.
The current sitting to the Side Surrounds as well as the Rear Surrounds really is Not ideal for a fact.
Not like we did not know that as this was all actually set-up by the 1st AV store a great many years ago.
I'm really not wishing to come across like the audio is crappy because it is not.
I'm saying when this is changed it's going to be actually ideal placement.
And as Jason said then when we install the Atmos they will be in the exact location for sound.


Was not aware of the below ……...


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It's a great room already and things I'm sure can only get better... Love the Ekornes Stressless seating.
That Runco is a beast!
I appreciate the kind thoughts Sir.


The Ekornes seating is super expensive but we decided the last time we did things to do it right.
We are both smaller frame people so the Ekornes is perfect for us.
It is some Super Looking & Great Feeling furniture.


Well Jason is excited about this new project as this is what he actually excels in.
If the cost is not so crazy this will happen for sure.
I have not said anything to Cathy (Wife) as I wanted to get the general game plan in my mind and then run it by Jason this morning.
He said this is very doable for sure and when completed you are then going to be set for the next stage once your monies come together.
That ^^^ will be for the Laser projector, Pre-Amp processor, 4K Blu-ray player, 4-Atmos speakers, 4-channel amp, wiring etc.
I will get some of the top of the line Atmos speakers that will match up to my JML Utopia speakers.
I got Cathy to come up in the HT and had her sit and went over in some detail as to what was going to take place.
I even took the time to fire-up the system so she could actually sit on the Stool that placed her approximately 10 feet from the screen.
I ran different Media on the system so she could judge for herself and give me her take on the whole project.
I will have to say, she was 100% in all the way guys and she is looking forward to this and has told me that numerous times through the day.
She works at home as a, Contract Analyst with Cigna Insurance.
We converted one of the bedrooms to an office for her and we share that room together with my computer also.
I can't say about other wives as honestly I don't even know anyone that has a custom home theater.
But I think it is pretty cool that she is not only 100% in on this but actually per her words Excited about it being done.


The Runco buddy is a Killer Machine when it was 1st introduced at Cedia.
It was referred to in Magazine Articles as a Light Engine for it's Brilliant picture on a 120" screen which is exactly what I have.
So it was introduced at Cedia and my guy, Charles, said Runco is running a special to get these out to the public if you want to up-date ???
It was a retail of $30K and I got it for $20K and honestly have totally enjoyed it and still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Moving the seating forward also moves you away from the projector - and puts it further behind you. I don't much like them right over me or too close.
Yes my Good-Man and truthfully one of my Major concerns with the RS4500 JVC was the Fan NOISE !!!
Especially right over and slightly behind us where we sit now.
The Sony 5000 is Silent as it is Liquid Cooled and with that being said it played to a large extent on why I was considering it.
With the New Seating in place I'm thinking the RS4500 JVC will be Tolerable and especially if it really is Not necessary to run it on 100% Full-Laser-Power.
Maybe in my case with a 123" 16x9 screen it won't be necessary to run it Wide-Open ???
Anyway it sure is Not going to be right the heck over our heads !!!


Unless I change my mind and if there are some B-Stock units with Low-Operating-Hours on them at the prices I have been quoted the JVC will be it.
I think I saw something on the other Thread about some New Laser maybe from JVC ???
Not sure as I was concentrating on what I was doing.
Anyway Cedia is coming so we all shall see what comes from it soon.
I Do-Not have the monies anyway as it's going to be a longtime until I make the next 2nd Stage Huge move.


T.
bobof likes this.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-10-2018 at 12:51 PM.
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #8 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It's a great room already and things I'm sure can only get better... Love the Ekornes Stressless seating.
That Runco is a beast!
It's so much easier to take an existing good theater room and do some modifications to improve it and bring it up to date so to speaker, compared to building a new room. I've been chipping away at improvements off and on, with the theater originally built about 11 years ago now.
tigerhonaker and bobof like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #9 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
With image starting at 16", check and make sure your feet do not block the bottom of the image, when reclined.

I think when the time comes we can actually move the real love-seat forward and do some Real-World-Testing.
And that would Suck for sure and Cathy would damn sure have an attitude.
If it comes down to it then it will simply have to be higher once we sit and test.
I have no doubt that it currently is 30-31 inches now so even if the 16-16 1/2 needs to be a little higher it will be a Major improvement over it's current height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I wouldn't want something that size above me either... . Every time I see folk sat under a CRT I shudder...
I wish I had the space to get out from under my PJ as the eShift mechanism certainly has some... shall we say... "character".
Yes the projectors sitting right above our heads is probably from a Common-Sense standpoint not a smart idea.
What happens is we are not in Custom built homes with the Perfect designed and built to order Home Theaters.
We have to do what we have to do and make the best of our have to compromises.


T.
bobof likes this.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-09-2018 at 03:04 PM.
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #10 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Yes we did the tape measure thing and from what we saw it will place us very close to looking at the (Center) of the screen.


Also we were discussing the new location as you that we will then be almost in the middle of the room.
The current sitting to the Side Surrounds as well as the Rear Surrounds really is Not ideal for a fact.
Not like we did not know that as this was all actually set-up by the 1st AV store a great many years ago.
I'm really not wishing to come across like the audio is crappy because it is not.
I'm saying when this is changed it's going to be actually ideal placement.
And as Jason said then when we install the Atmos they will be in the exact location for sound.


Was not aware of the below ……...



I appreciate the kind thoughts Sir.


The Ekornes seating is super expensive but we decided the last time we did things to do it right.
We are both smaller frame people so the Ekornes is perfect for us.
It is some Super Looking & Great Feeling furniture.


Well Jason is excited about this new project as this is what he actually excels in.
If the cost is not so crazy this will happen for sure.
I have not said anything to Cathy (Wife) as I wanted to get the general game plan in my mind and then run it by Jason this morning.
He said this is very doable for sure and when completed you are then going to be set for the next stage once your monies come together.
That ^^^ will be for the Laser projector, Pre-Amp processor, 4K Blu-ray player, 4-Atmos speakers, 4-channel amp, wiring etc.
I will get some of the top of the line Atmos speakers that will match up to my JML Utopia speakers.
I got Cathy to come up in the HT and had her sit and went over in some detail as to what was going to take place.
I even took the time to fire-up the system so she could actually sit on the Stool that placed her approximately 10 feet from the screen.
I ran different Media on the system so she could judge for herself and give me her take on the whole project.
I will have to say, she was 100% in all the way guys and she is looking forward to this and has told me that numerous times through the day.
She works at home as a, Contract Analyst with Cigna Insurance.
We converted one of the bedrooms to an office for her and we share that room together with my computer also.
I can't say about other wives as honestly I don't even know anyone that has a custom home theater.
But I think it is pretty cool that she is not only 100% in on this but actually per her words Excited about it being done.


The Runco buddy is a Killer Machine when it was 1st introduced at Cedia.
It was referred to in Magazine Articles as a Light Engine for it's Brilliant picture on a 120" screen which is exactly what I have.
So it was introduced at Cedia and my guy, Charles, said Runco is running a special to get these out to the public if you want to up-date ???
It was a retail of $30K and I got it for $20K and honestly have totally enjoyed it and still do.


Yes my Good-Man and truthfully one of my Major concerns with the RS4500 JVC was the Fan NOISE !!!
Especially right over and slightly behind us where we sit now.
The Sony 5000 is Silent as it is Liquid Cooled and with that being said it played to a large extent on why I was considering it.
With the New Sitting in place I'm thinking the RS4500 JVC will be Tolerable and especially if it really is Not necessary to run it on 100% Full-Laser-Power.
Maybe in my case with a 123" 16x9 screen it won't be necessary to run it Wide-Open ???
Anyway it sure is Not going to be right the heck over our heads !!!



Unless I change my mind and if there are some B-Stock units with Low-Operating-Hours on them at the prices I have been quoted the JVC will be it.
I think I saw something on the other Thread about some New Laser maybe from JVC ???
Not sure as I was concentrating on what I was doing.
Anyway Cedia is coming so we all shall see what comes from it soon.
I Do-Not have the monies anyway as it's going to be a longtime until I make the next 2nd Stage Huge move.


T.
There is no reason to run an RS4500 on that sized screen higher than mid laser for 4K HDR, and low laser for SDR. I get 18.5 foot lamberts on low laser watching Blu-rays. 35 foot lamberts at the least on mid laser with HDR using the HDR pre-set as calibrated by Chad B.
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #11 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
There is no reason to run an RS4500 on that sized screen higher than mid laser for 4K HDR, and low laser for SDR. I get 18.5 foot lamberts on low laser watching Blu-rays. 35 foot lamberts at the least on mid laser with HDR using the HDR pre-set as calibrated by Chad B.
,


I can definitely tell you that Chad B. will be here doing his thing for a Fact.
If the Laser projectors are estimated to go 20K hours on Full-Power then my thinking is I should be all set running mine on 1/2 Power as that will Double it's Life.
I might live that long, maybe. LOL !!!


T.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #12 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
,


I can definitely tell you that Chad B. will be here doing his thing for a Fact.
If the Laser projectors are estimated to go 20K hours on Full-Power then my thinking is I should be all set running mine on 1/2 Power as that will Double it's Life.
I might live that long, maybe. LOL !!!


T.
They go 20,000 hours to 1/2 brightness. If running low - mid laser gives you 28,000 or 30,000 hours or more, so much the better I say !
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #13 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
They go 20,000 hours to 1/2 brightness. If running low - mid laser gives you 28,000 or 30,000 hours or more, so much the better I say !
Well in my case I highly doubt I'll wear out the laser with my 123" screen.


Craig, I have been wanting to run this by you and keep forgetting to do so.
Or any other member that might have some useful feedback ???


Jason and I were discussing once this rearrangement is done and for the sake of conversation I do go with the RS4500 JVC.
We both are thinking on SD coming from Dish or a DVD or Blu-ray DVD doesn't it Automatically Up-Scale (Maybe wrong Word) the content ???
Much simpler way for me to say what I want to know, does the JVC through it's processing improve the content coming to it from the sources I mentioned ???
We think that it would to some degree even though as they say, Trash in, Trash out ………….
I say that and ask because of how close we will be sitting unlike we are now at 19 feet from the screen.
So take an old Western or any other older movie from Dish will it improve the picture and if so can you further enlighten me on how much ???


T.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #14 of 298 Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Well in my case I highly doubt I'll wear out the laser with my 123" screen.


Craig, I have been wanting to run this by you and keep forgetting to do so.
Or any other member that might have some useful feedback ???


Jason and I were discussing once this rearrangement is done and for the sake of conversation I do go with the RS4500 JVC.
We both are thinking on SD coming from Dish or a DVD or Blu-ray DVD doesn't it Automatically Up-Scale (Maybe wrong Word) the content ???
Much simpler way for me to say what I want to know, does the JVC through it's processing improve the content coming to it from the sources I mentioned ???
We think that it would to some degree even though as they say, Trash in, Trash out ………….
I say that and ask because of how close we will be sitting unlike we are now at 19 feet from the screen.
So take an old Western or any other older movie from Dish will it improve the picture and if so can you further enlighten me on how much ???


T.
It has to upconvert it to 4K, since the projector's native resolution is 4K. I just watched the original " The Magnificent Seven " ( 1960 version ) the other night. It was on Blu-ray, and most of the time it looked good. Dish is one of the better looking cable HDTV sources out there. You should be fine.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #15 of 298 Old 08-10-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It has to upconvert it to 4K, since the projector's native resolution is 4K. I just watched the original " The Magnificent Seven " ( 1960 version ) the other night. It was on Blu-ray, and most of the time it looked good. Dish is one of the better looking cable HDTV sources out there. You should be fine.
Well from what you have said and what I have read my thinking is, the picture from whatever sources is going to be (Some) improvement over the Runco.

Craig, it was mentioned that by lowering the screen to say the 16 to 16 1/2 inches that I better make sure that if we place our legs on the Ekornes Foot Stool/Ottoman.
Our feet/toes would not be in the (Line-of-Sight) of the Lower part of the Screen and picture.


Your screen is I know 16 inches from the floor to the White Viewing Area and I assume your JVC is ceiling mounted ???
Any comments on this ???
I'm going to see if once I hear back from Charles (Owner) on pricing estimate to have Jason drop back by.
And see if we can closely approximate mine (Screen) being dropped with me and him actually moving the love-seat and the Ottoman to the new positions.
Then him doing his thing with the Runco and dropping the picture to the New Lower Position.
Surely that should be a good indicator if the above would be an issue.
I have no reason after talking with Jason that the new JVC would not be mounted in the same location as the Runco on ceiling.


Say, do you have any really clear pictures of your HT so I can see perhaps your set-up ???
Maybe you could give me some actual Measurements on your room and the gear in it.
Like perhaps the distance from the JVC RS4500 to your 122" screen and the actual height of it from the floor ???
Be great if you don't mind sharing with me then I would have some idea of your set-up in comparison to my HT room.


I just took some Room and Runco measurements to share.


The actual room sizes are,
23' 9" Long
19' 7" Wide
9' Ceiling height from floor.


See below picture for Runco,




T.


BTW,
I just saw that your JVC RS4500 is in a Box ……….

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-10-2018 at 09:00 AM.
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #16 of 298 Old 08-10-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Sure - here is the complete evolution of my theater over the last 10 years - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6cd941a199

Seating width – 14’
Theater 23’ wide x 17’ 6” ( minus 3’ 3” deep projector room ) x 11’ tall.
14’ lens to screen.
388 square feet ( excluding the projector closet ) 3547 cubic feet

My projector is shelf mounted - not ceiling mounted.

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, StudioTek 130 G3 material – 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal 2.35:1 aspect ratio
Screen area – 5925 square inches, 41.1 square feet
Viewing distance – 9’ 10"
Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, Neve 1.1 material – 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal 1.78:1 aspect ratio
Screen area – 6312.4 square inches, 43.8 square feet
Viewing distance – 10.2’
Craig Peer is online now  
post #17 of 298 Old 08-11-2018, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Sure - here is the complete evolution of my theater over the last 10 years - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6cd941a199

Seating width – 14’
Theater 23’ wide x 17’ 6” ( minus 3’ 3” deep projector room ) x 11’ tall.
14’ lens to screen.
388 square feet ( excluding the projector closet ) 3547 cubic feet

My projector is shelf mounted - not ceiling mounted.

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, StudioTek 130 G3 material – 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal 2.35:1 aspect ratio
Screen area – 5925 square inches, 41.1 square feet
Viewing distance – 9’ 10"
Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, Neve 1.1 material – 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal 1.78:1 aspect ratio
Screen area – 6312.4 square inches, 43.8 square feet
Viewing distance – 10.2’
Thanks so much for sharing and honestly for continuing to talk with me on these matters.
I did see every picture of your current HT layout, nice buddy.


I just got back home from Home Depot needed a new/working/correctly tape-measure.
Also had to get a New Halogen Work light on tripod as one of mine went bad.
This is 1000 watts with twin 500 watt lights.

I have now moved the seating to different locations/distances from screen.
Cathy and I once I finally made the decision we both then tried it out.
We are both 100% satisfied with it now so going to take pictures with text showing the Final Seating Positions to the Screen.


Time to go take the pictures.


T.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #18 of 298 Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Nothing like testing a new seating location yourself - the " proof is in the pudding " as they say !

Just think - this will be like having a brand new theater, with a lot less work since it's just a re-fresh, and this could be the last time you need to do any improvements !
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #19 of 298 Old 08-11-2018, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Nothing like testing a new seating location yourself - the " proof is in the pudding " as they say !

Just think - this will be like having a brand new theater, with a lot less work since it's just a re-fresh, and this could be the last time you need to do any improvements !

Craig,


See my post below for the Latest Up-Date buddy.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #20 of 298 Old 08-11-2018, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post Latest Up-Date as of today Saturday August 11th 2018.

Hello,


This has been a very-very long day guys but I have everything done that I can do and wanted to do.
Cathy and I both are Super Excited about all this.


The pictures below will explain everything,




































































































Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #21 of 298 Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Perfect - that's going to sound a lot better, and 12' 6" is good !!
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #22 of 298 Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Perfect - that's going to sound a lot better, and 12' 6" is good !!

Craig,


We my Good-Man are of the same mind-set on the Audio.
And the 123" 16x9 screen images are Super Large at 12' 6" viewing distances.
And you Do-Not have to move your head any to view the Full-Screen images.
Plus and I think really a major plus is at the new distance the Audio once all completed and retuned is going to be Killer.
I doubt many rooms end up like this one is going to once everything is completed.
I'm referring to the viewing distance, and also the almost perfect speaker placement.


To bad we are not wealthy or all the changes would be taking place.


Well this will get the 1st Phase completed and give us something to look forward to.


T.
Craig Peer likes this.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #23 of 298 Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Question

Craig,


Do you by chance know for a (Fact) what is the correct placement for the Side-Surround-Speakers in regards to there Height to listeners ears ???
I know in the past and where mine are is, right above my ears and to the center of the speakers to my ears on each side.
I'm wondering with Atmos now in the mix do they Recommend the Side-Surrounds to be at the listeners ears and NOT above the listeners ears ???
Appreciate your assistance if you by chance know what is really correct ???
Obviously I'm asking because mine will be relocated so now is the time to get input on the Facts more so than a Mix of Opinions and on going Arguing.
Like the Sony Laser versus JVC Laser projectors as Great examples of members and the on going never ending Bull-Crap.


T.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #24 of 298 Old 08-13-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,676
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Craig,


Do you by chance know for a (Fact) what is the correct placement for the Side-Surround-Speakers in regards to there Height to listeners ears ???
I know in the past and where mine are is, right above my ears and to the center of the speakers to my ears on each side.
I'm wondering with Atmos now in the mix do they Recommend the Side-Surrounds to be at the listeners ears and NOT above the listeners ears ???
Appreciate your assistance if you by chance know what is really correct ???
Obviously I'm asking because mine will be relocated so now is the time to get input on the Facts more so than a Mix of Opinions and on going Arguing.
Like the Sony Laser versus JVC Laser projectors as Great examples of members and the on going never ending Bull-Crap.


T.
Don't take my word for it, take Dolby's -

" You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall. "

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html

That said, my surrounds are mounted pretty high, but I'm still running everything as DTS NEO:X .
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #25 of 298 Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Don't take my word for it, take Dolby's -

" You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall. "

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-2-setups.html

That said, my surrounds are mounted pretty high, but I'm still running everything as DTS NEO:X .

I appreciate the information as always.


Have a great rest-of-your-day.


Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #26 of 298 Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Hello,


I found a Magazine that has a Full Review on one of the Laser Projectors I'm considering.
The JVC DLA-RS4500 Laser Projector.

It was one that came out months ago but you could order it as a {Back-Order}.


Looking forward to reading it.







Terry
__________________
tigerhonaker's Home Theater


Pre-Amp: Integra DHC-80.3
Blu-Ray Player: Integra DBS-50.3
Projector: Runco VX-11d W/Proteus 3 Lens & DHD-4 Processor
Screen: Stewart Gray Hawk 123" W/4-way remote masking
Speakers: JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, Center Utopia, Side Utopia, Rear Mini Utopia
Subwoofers: 4-Mirage BPS400 sitting on 4 "Auralex Great Gramma" pads
Cables: Transparent TW Plus w/Plus Bricks
Amps: Classe', 2-CA201, 3-CAM350
Power Conditioners: 1-Richard Gray RGPC-1200S, 7-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 Back up Power Unit for Runco units
Cooling: 3-sets of Z-Fans
ATM (Active Thermal Management)
Cool-Stack I
Mid Atlantic: Track 50" rack slide out
Room Acoustic: Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating: Ekornes Stressless Wave

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #27 of 298 Old 08-18-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Would you consider a 2.40:1 screen of the same height as your current 16:9 screen?

In my first (loft) cinema room, I started with a 7ft wide 16:9 screen and sat three times the screen height back which was approx 12 feet. I was always disappointing with scope being smaller than 16:9 and that was never the way I saw it in commercial theatres back then, so that was to be my my next 'upgrade'.

Having angled ceilings meant that a wider screen the same height of the existing 16:9 screen would drop it down onto the floor, and not being acoustically transparent meant I would have to mount the centre channel above the screen, and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. I could however fit an 8ft wide 2.40:1 screen no problem though. 16:9 did look a lot smaller now (from 12ft back) being just 6ft wide, so all I did was move my seats closer to the screen (10 feet) so that I was again at around 3xSH, and now 16:9 was visually as large as it was before on the 7ft wide 16:9 screen, but now scope was even larger and more immersive, so a huge upgrade with minimal cost (it was easy for me to move the surround speakers as they were just on stands in the room)).

If you're going to be moving things and reorganising the room layout, I think it would be a further upgrade that's relatively easy to do. You could even go acoustically transparent with a false wall as you can still move the seats to where you want them, so if the AT screen is now say 18 inches closer to the seats, just move the seats 18 inches back.

It's always a good idea to experiment with image size and seating distances to see what works for you, but a good rule of thumb is THXs guideline of sitting 2.4xSH back, which is roughly the same distance back as the scope screen is wide.

You will need a pj that has zoom and lens shift, and the JVCs have that. You just need to make sure it's mounted within the zoom range that allows both 16:9 and 2.40 to be placed onto the screen correctly.
OzHDHT likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Gary Lightfoot is offline  
post #28 of 298 Old 08-18-2018, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Would you consider a 2.40:1 screen of the same height as your current 16:9 screen?

In my first (loft) cinema room, I started with a 7ft wide 16:9 screen and sat three times the screen height back which was approx 12 feet. I was always disappointing with scope being smaller than 16:9 and that was never the way I saw it in commercial theatres back then, so that was to be my my next 'upgrade'.

Having angled ceilings meant that a wider screen the same height of the existing 16:9 screen would drop it down onto the floor, and not being acoustically transparent meant I would have to mount the centre channel above the screen, and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. I could however fit an 8ft wide 2.40:1 screen no problem though. 16:9 did look a lot smaller now (from 12ft back) being just 6ft wide, so all I did was move my seats closer to the screen (10 feet) so that I was again at around 3xSH, and now 16:9 was visually as large as it was before on the 7ft wide 16:9 screen, but now scope was even larger and more immersive, so a huge upgrade with minimal cost (it was easy for me to move the surround speakers as they were just on stands in the room)).

If you're going to be moving things and reorganising the room layout, I think it would be a further upgrade that's relatively easy to do. You could even go acoustically transparent with a false wall as you can still move the seats to where you want them, so if the AT screen is now say 18 inches closer to the seats, just move the seats 18 inches back.

It's always a good idea to experiment with image size and seating distances to see what works for you, but a good rule of thumb is THXs guideline of sitting 2.4xSH back, which is roughly the same distance back as the scope screen is wide.

You will need a pj that has zoom and lens shift, and the JVCs have that. You just need to make sure it's mounted within the zoom range that allows both 16:9 and 2.40 to be placed onto the screen correctly.

I appreciate all your input.
Thanks for dropping by and checking things out and adding your thoughts.


Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #29 of 298 Old 08-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Member
 
MrDennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Madison AL
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Terry

How wide is you screen wall?

Dennis

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
MrDennis is offline  
post #30 of 298 Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
Terry

How wide is you screen wall?

Dennis
Dennis,


I'm (Maxed-Out) on my screen size and in my case I want the 16x9 I have as it also has Remote 4-Way Masking feature.
A very-very expensive screen back when it was purchased.


And now with the seating moved Forward to 12' 6" it is perfect and to us a Huge image.


Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off