Rear surround speaker placement in 5.1.2 setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Rear surround speaker placement in 5.1.2 setup

I'm setting up a 5.1.2 system, and am trying to decide what good options I have for my rear surround placement. I know Dolby recommends 90-110 degrees off from MLP, but my side walls are not ideal for this due to a closet and some turns in the wall (see attached image) -- at least for bigger speakers like I was considering (e.g., Polk Audio FXi A4's or A6's).

One option that matches Dolby's recommendation would be mounting one near the ceiling above and to the right of the closet on left of the image, with one on the other side mirroring it. I would angle them down toward MLP, and I'm sure listening would be good, but I'd have this big speaker on the corner, which may or may not run into issues with opening the closet door.

Another option I'm wondering about is the rear wall. It's about 10 feet back from the MLP. My receiver is a Pioneer SC-91, which has the microphone-based speaker configuring, in case that impacts your opinion.

For the rest of the system, I'll be adding in-ceiling speakers (probably the Polk Audio RC80i) to some Paradigm bookshelf speakers, a cerwin vega center, and a Paradigm sub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 11.02.21 AM.png
Views:	32
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2442132  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
5.1.2 , speaker placement , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version