Small theater with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By x43x
  • 3 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By jjcook
  • 1 Post By x43x

post #1 of 5 Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Small theater with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X

Just finishing up my dedicated 2-channel and home theater room. It is an 11x14 "den" that we had framed with a door during construction. We were also able to have the surrounds and ceiling speakers pre-wired. I was planning on going the projector route, but with a 100" screen, I would need to cram the mains into the corner, which I didn't want to do. Not to mention dark paint etc, and I didn't want to black out the room. Instead, I opted for the Sony 85X900F and I think it fits the room and wall nicely. Seating distance is 9-10 feet away. I was rolling with a Rotel Pre-Amp but the need for an Atmos processor pushed me towards the Marantz SR7013. I'm still using a Rotel 1075 to power two of the height channels.

For speakers, I'm using some old B&W 704's with the matching center. The four surrounds are B&W CWM 663s and the ceiling speakers are RSL C34s, which are larger than I thought they would be. I had some store credit to spend so I'm trying out the Golden Ear Supersub X. I don't have a lot of room behind the couch, so something smaller was necessary. It doesn't get super duper low, but it is loud and shakes the room nicely.

For a disc spinner I'm rocking the Panasonic UB820 which is a fine machine, but lacks SACD and DVD-Audio support. I have an Oppo 203 in the living room which I will add to the mix once a cheaper player with an HDR optimizer comes out.

Vinyl is played on a VPI Traveler with an Ortofon 2M Blue cart. Pre-amp is a Vincent PHO-800 and cabling is Audio Quest. A Harmony Elite rounds out the equipment.

bubbrik likes this.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quite the Cube Theater concept. Drive saturation too.

The completely offset right / left perimeter seating leaves a little to be desired...but that's not where I'd sit anyway.

However, those mains are still almost jammed up against the Sidewalls, and by my estimate you could have had a great time using a Painted Screen Wall approach, and simply brought the perimeter of the image out to as far as possible.

As nice as that Sony 85" er is, for the same cash you could'a had a JVC x990r , filled up that Wall, and had Lens Memory work some real magic!
unretarded, markmon1 and femi like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 5 Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 188
@x43x Thanks for sharing; its nice to see what others do with small rooms (as my room is 10x15).
x43x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2018, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Nice set up....

It just amazes me the small obstacles and misconceptions that keep people from doing a projector.

I have a 120 inch screen in a room that size with a spandex screen that allows optimal placement of the speakers with a cheap benQ ht2050 and it is perfectly watchable with a 100 watt replacement led bulb on in the center of the room....

You could still do a PJ with a fold down spandex screen for pretty cheap.... Lots of people have a screen that lowers in front of set ups just like yours.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #5 of 5 Old 10-10-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Oh I weighed the pros and cons for months and almost went with a JVC RS540R. Then the new 4K models were announced so I held out until Cedia. Numbers look good on the NX7 and I'm sure they will review well, but I was willing to sacrifice some inches for proper HDR and Dolby Vision support. The 900F isn't perfect, but I'm hoping it holds me over until 100" OLED or MicroLED sets can be had for under $15k. And if not, I'll revisit projectors when the laser tech gets refined a bit.
unretarded likes this.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page