Finishing basement. What do you wish you did before drywall went up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyderturbo007
  • 1 Post By GoZags13
  • 1 Post By mattztt

post #1 of 13 Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Finishing basement. What do you wish you did before drywall went up

Electrical is done, framing is essentially done, plumbing is done. need to run the Cat 6 and coax to the TV locations and the speaker wire for the TV area. I have a couple weeks before the drywall guy comes in (doing everything else myself) so just wondering what I may be missing that you guys may have missed too so i can prevent future frustrations.

No real dedicated theater area. It’s an open concept and will have a TV with 5.1 pre wired. Mostly used for watching sports and hanging out with friends and family and there will be a play area for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My use is similar

I wish I would have run wires for atmos, I was confident I would never want it, now I do.

I would run wires for in-ceiling speakers over game area, again, thought I would never want it, now I do.

I didn't think I would ever want a bar sink, I wish I would have put a drain in just in case.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Run 2-3 cat 6 to the TV location. Do you want to locate the equipment in another spot in the basement?

You have access to the floor above - think of what you want in the walls there. You can reach the wall bottom plate from an outlet-height hole with an 18" bit.

You don't need a super-long bit like this, but this is the concept:

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-29-2018, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I’m pretty set upstairs. Just want to run a pair of cat 6 up there. Good call on thinking of that though.

On the ceiling speakers in the game area. How are those hooked into the surround receiver? Is there a separate output for something like that?

post #5 of 13 Old 10-29-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, separate outputs for zone 2, or shared outputs - on some AVRs, the amps can be configured for either another pair in the main zone, or used to power another area (switchable amps). For example, some 7.1 AVRs could be configured for 7.1, or 5.1 plus another pair of speakers.

Decide where you want your powered subwoofer. If you can't decide, run coax to a few different locations. You may want multiple subwoofers some day, anyway.

Yes, use coax for powered subwoofers. You are sending a single channel of line-level signal. Passive subwoofers would be powered from the head end, and fed with speaker cable. Powered are much easier, and usually cheaper.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 13 Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I would just try to run wire/cable anywhere there might be a use case for future upgrades: Wire to a projector for HDMI and power, wire for atmos speakers, wire coax cable for a 2nd subwoofer, zone 2 run, HDMI run for 2nd smaller TV maybe in the wet bar, etc.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I will be going to the bar. I can get to the ceiling on either side to push cables through at any time in the future as it’s an unfinished laundry room ceiling on one side and a storage are in the other so if I do decide on a projector I’ll be good. All the electric is in conduit so pulling another run to the light box and stubbing Romex to the projector is no big deal in the future so I should be good for the projector. I’ll drop speaker wire in a bunch of spots. Going to need to make a drawing of where all of this is so I can find it later haha

post #8 of 13 Old 11-06-2018, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Run two speaker wires to each location so you can add subs anywhere. Maybe coax for powered subs. Atmos as mentioned. The second wire could also be used for atmos up facing in a pinch. Conduit for projector and plywood or osb backing or blocking for projector to allow mounting exactly where you want it. I ran conduit for the room above that I was losing access to, one to the equipment and one to the tv area. Power for baseboard heat maybe.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Conduit, conduit and more conduit. You might also want to consider some 3.5mm cables for IR depending on how many devices you plan to install.

I also ran CAT 6 to other random locations for VSCs and maybe an iPad or other touch screen in wall controller.
GoZags13 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
Conduit, conduit and more conduit. You might also want to consider some 3.5mm cables for IR depending on how many devices you plan to install.

I also ran CAT 6 to other random locations for VSCs and maybe an iPad or other touch screen in wall controller.
I use cat cable for extending IR, as detailed here, using a 'breakout board' - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-re...nd-useful.html

post #11 of 13 Old 11-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Conduit is huge....and make it huge. Nothing worse than the head of a cord getting all caught up on stuff.

If you run CAT6 you'll be set in terms of the cable won't go bad. However you'll be always forced to buy a lot more expensive data transfer ends (e.g. CAT6 to 4K HDMI). But this is still a good option. HDMI will go bad at somepoint or you'll need to upgrade it for more bandwidth. So if doing any HDMI runs make sure you can replace it easily.

With the subwoofer discussion, I'd mainly look to put connections in places where an extension from the jack wouldn't cross traffic. You won't get the exact spot, but as long as the cord can be hidden behind a chair or pushed out of sight you'll be fine. Also they do have wireless kits for subs, so in the worst case scenario you aren't totally out of luck.

Also take pictures of where the wires are in the walls. You'll need them for reference someday in the future.
RagtopFE likes this.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #12 of 13 Old 11-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Also take pictures of where the wires are in the walls. You'll need them for reference someday in the future.
This! Take pictures of everything at every stage, from every angle. During our house build I've been taking way more pictures than I thought I could possibly need but I'm still finding areas that I missed or where the angle didn't quite capture the location of something I wanted to reference. Also consider taking measurements of any key items behind the walls as you can't always accurately judge position based on photos.
Spyderturbo007 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-07-2018, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Good tips guys keep them coming. Drywall is going up the 17th

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version