Green Glue application/removal questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By mattztt
  • 3 Post By slizzap

post #1 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Green Glue application/removal questions

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the middle of a basement renovation project. I'm in the unfortunate position of fighting with my contractor because they did not soundproof an area properly as had been scoped out, and more specifically they did not apply Green Glue properly. I'm looking for some input so that I can approach them with as much knowledge as possible. First I'll start with the actual issue, and then I'll follow up with some additional details to provide some of the backstory in case it's relevant.

I paid extra for a soundproofing option, which was to include 2 layers of drywall with Green Glue in between for the TV/stereo area of the basement. This includes 2 walls and part of the ceiling. Issue #1 is that they didn't properly stagger the multiple drywall sheets, so the seams for both sheets are in the same spot. Issue #2 is that they only used one tube of Green Glue per drywall sheet. Issue #3 is that they applied the Green Glue with an incorrect pattern (single bead around the perimeter, and maybe 6-8 vertical lines in the middle). All one has to do is go to the Green Glue website and watch the how-to on the main page to see how this should be applied. Actually, all 3 of my issues are even addressed in that video.

My main question is...should I choose to fight this and simply have them redo everything, can the sheets be removed, additional Green Glue applied in the proper manner, and then remounted? Will removing the sheets compromise the existing Green Glue or the drywall itself...meaning, would both drywall layers have to be completely replaced?

Quick backstory in case it's relevant - the company we used I specified upfront I wanted to do some basic soundproofing for the area where I'll have my "home theater". They suggested ROXUL between joists in the ceiling, and multiple layers of drywall with Green Glue in between. Mind you I had not even heard of Green Glue at this point, but after they suggested it, I did a lot of research and decided that was good for what I was trying to achieve. Given that they provided this solution to me, I had an assumption that they knew how to apply it properly. That does not appear to be the case given that they did not use a proper amount, they did not apply properly, and they did not even stagger the drywall properly.

I tried contacting the Green Glue company, Saint-Gobain. Being on a Saturday, I didn't get a response, which I would expect. So I'm looking to get input so I can have a discussion with my contractor first thing Monday morning. I'll contact Saint-Gobain again on Monday, but it likely won't be until after I talk with the contractor. So I'm just trying to get as much input as possible before then, in which case I may not even need to contact the company.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any input you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I’d be really surprised if you can peel those layers apart, gg is some sticky stuff. Why not get them to add another layer and do it right? Then you have three layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B View Post
I’d be really surprised if you can peel those layers apart, gg is some sticky stuff. Why not get them to add another layer and do it right? Then you have three layers

That is a good idea. However, if they do end up fixing this no doubt they're going to want to cut down on costs. I just want to make sure I come up with every possible angle they might have as a resolution, so that I can knowledgeably discuss that with them with points for/against their proposal.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Sure. It’s probably a lot cheaper because to demo two layers, dispose, and start over would be two or three times more expensive I’d think. Probably double realistically

post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2018, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 377
The Green Glue application instructions indicate that the glued pieces should be assembled within 15 minutes and my experience is that within a few hours the consistency changes dramatically. I would advise against attempting to separate the pieces to add more glue but if you want to do so your best bet is to remove all of the screws and apply a shear force to the top layer. You'll never be able to pull the pieces apart directly, but if you slide them against each other the green glue may let go. I've never tried this with a full sheet of drywall but it was fairly easy to do on some smaller pieces.

I really like Vince's suggestion to add a third layer of drywall with the proper amount of green glue applied appropriately and with staggered joints. You'll end up with better soundproofing than your original plan.
Shane661 likes this.

Last edited by mattztt; 11-04-2018 at 03:20 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2018, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Imo, if you have an option to make this better than spec, go for that option...even if it is some additional cost to you. Peeling this apart, you will likely end up with an inferior product. In the end you will not worry about the additional expense, but will always wonder "how good could it have been?".

Oh, and to add: Adding a layer is likely less work for the contractor, as well (as mentioned). So, really, I don't think there is any other logical choice.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -

Last edited by Shane661; 11-04-2018 at 05:31 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2018, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

That is a good point regarding costs of redoing vs a third layer.

Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizzap View Post
So I'm looking to get input so I can have a discussion with my contractor first thing Monday morning.

How did your meeting turn out?

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 11-19-2018 at 08:39 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
How did your meeting turn out?
Luckily the conversation went a lot smoother than I was anticipating. The project manager, who originally suggested the Green Glue solution, came out with the contractor. When I showed the PM the pictures, I could tell he immediately knew it was done incorrectly. He stated that they would make it right even if it required ripping it out and redoing it. Later in the conversation he stated another possible solution would be to simply add a 3rd layer of drywall with the proper amount of Green Glue. So he came up with the same solution on his own. At this time we're simply waiting for them to come back to us with a confirmation of how they're going to proceed and confirm when they'll resume work.

Thanks for checking, and thanks again to everybody that provided their input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page