Priorities for sound reduction from basement to upstairs. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-03-2019, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Priorities for sound reduction from basement to upstairs.

Newbie here!

To reduce sound from travelling to the upstairs from a basement, what are the priorities for sound reduction? That is, where should one put the money first?

First...thanks for all the great threads and links! We have an unfinished basement. We plan to finish about 450 square feet to be used as a guitar practice area, playing recorded music, and a modest entertainment area. 3 walls are poured concrete, one wall will be new. Our main goal is to reduce the sound and vibration in the floors above. We have a fair amount of HVAC that will need to be boxed in. We will be doing most of the work ourselves and want to get the most bang for our buck. We've got realistic goals for what is reasonably possible for sound reduction given our situation, so we want to put our money toward effective solutions, but won't focus on trying to achieve incremental improvements.

Our thought is that a first priority should be to decouple the new stud walls. We have limited head space (7 ft 10 inches), but we are willing to sacrifice some of that by using IB-3 brackets on the top plate and GenieMat on the bottom plate.
soundproofingcompany.com/product/ib-3-bracket/
isostore.com/pliteq-isosill-flanking-pad.html
(Sorry, I can't post an actual link yet)
I don't think we can afford to double the drywall with GreenGlue in between, but wonder if there would be any significant improvement by also using resilient channel on the walls if they've already been decoupled.

For the ceiling and the soffits, I'm thinking about option 1 or 2, but I would like to know the cost comparison of the two.
soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-solutions/soundproof-a-ceiling/

We'll use putty on the outlet boxes and install track lighting and wall lighting to avoid adding any cans to the ceiling.

I would sure appreciate any comments or suggestions! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
basement , guitar , music , sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page