Odd Shaped Basement, Simple Future-Proof Suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Odd Shaped Basement, Simple Future-Proof Suggestions?

Attached is my basement, drawing is to scale. Arrow is stairs down entrance. 2 columns are in the middle and I will be drywalling around them. Wall A is ~33', B is ~11' and C is ~10'. Large angled wall will be a sliding barn door providing access to utility area.

Dashed lines running left to right indicate soffits covering steel I-beams (and HVAC in the larger one). Ceilings are ~9' except under the soffits where they are ~7.5'.

What suggestions do you have with regards to home theater wiring as well as future-proofing things? I'm getting ready to run wires and wanted some extra opinions outside of the general guidelines for outlets and lighting which I feel I have a handle on.

With TV in position B I include all necessary connections in wall B and then also want to put speaker hookups on the right-hand side of each column, as well as corresponding connections in wall A. Perhaps I put speaker connections in the larger soffit pointing towards wall B as well? Note that this would be closer to the TV than the speaker connection in the farthest column...

With TV in position C I include everything in wall C and then I'm struggling with the rear channel because the wall facing C is too short and I don't see how to place the left and right surround sound speaker connections. I can mount speakers in the soffit above facing wall C. I can use speaker towers behind the seating area but then I have wires running on the floor unless I'm missing some obvious solution.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Or tell me I'm over-thinking things. I'm just starting to get nervous because I know what I do here is final once the drywall goes up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	2526270  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Would a projector be an option? You could build a dedicated theater with an acoustically transparent screen, in niche that is B, plus wall off the open side and end.

You also could do some acoustically transparent fabric side walls, and hide wiring behind that.

You could have a 120" screen (or larger yet) with hidden speakers.

You also could start off with a tv, and simply mount it where the future screen would be.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 923
You also could start off 2.1 with hdtv and expand over time, out to ATMOS 5.1.4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChinaRider.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	615.1 KB