AVS Forum banner

Short throw projectors

713 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dbpaddler 
#1 ·
We are building a new house and combining 2 rooms to use it as a media room. The room is 13.6' wide with 10' ceiling. We want to put a projector and screen in it.
Due to the way the rooms are combined, we can put a projector at a distance of 10' from the wall. What max size screen can I have? When I google, I see for this distance, typical screen size is 100". But that would look small and I think a 120" screen would be more appropriate. Recommended distance of projector for 120" screen is 12'. Is there a way to use short throw projectors at a distance of 10' and have a larger screen of 120"?

Thank you.

#4 ·
@b2a2013

First think you need to figure out is if you want 1080p or 4k?

If you want 4k as far as I know the new BenQ HT3550 mentioned above is the only game in town at this point that will get you close.

Budget is the second question. If you opt for 1080p that many of us find more than ok for home theater and a great starting point. You will find some nice projectors as low as under 400 for a refurbished model up to around 700 for one of the highest rated shorter throws.

Then there are UST ultra short throws that only need a foot or two from the screen to work. They have different pros and cons.
:)

#5 ·
Thank you all.
The configuration of corradizo is exactly what we have. We have a beam between the 2 rooms and would like to hide the projector behind the beam. Hence the max distance of wall of 9.5-10'.
dbpaddler and bud16415, your suggestion of BenQ HT3550 at a distance of 9.9' is just perfect. I would like 4K TV and it's price seems reasonable. Though under $1000 would have been preferable.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.