Will a Panasonic bathroom fan appropriately vent a small linen closet AV rack? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Liquid

post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will a Panasonic bathroom fan appropriately vent a small linen closet AV rack?

I have a small linen closet with a solid door that I am repurposing as an AV rack space and I want to be able to run a system with several amps, TiVo etc with the door closed. Measures about 34" wide and about 24" deep with a height of 8 feet. I was planning on putting a Panasonic FV-0511VQ1 bathroom fan in this space on the 50 cfm setting allowing cool conditioned air to flow through the gap at the bottom of the door out the bathroom fan at the top vented out with a 6" semi-rigid duct about 3 feet to a soffit in the attic. I would either have a standard wall switch in the closet for turning it on when using the theater or have it controlled by a temperature sensor switch. Thoughts on this plan? I thought about putting an AC register in there but that would only work in the summer. And I can't put a return in there either because this air handler's return is right next to it in the hallway. I live in hot and humid North Florida.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
I have a small linen closet with a solid door that I am repurposing as an AV rack space and I want to be able to run a system with several amps, TiVo etc with the door closed. Measures about 34" wide and about 24" deep with a height of 8 feet. I was planning on putting a Panasonic FV-0511VQ1 bathroom fan in this space on the 50 cfm setting allowing cool conditioned air to flow through the gap at the bottom of the door out the bathroom fan at the top vented out with a 6" semi-rigid duct about 3 feet to a soffit in the attic. I would either have a standard wall switch in the closet for turning it on when using the theater or have it controlled by a temperature sensor switch. Thoughts on this plan? I thought about putting an AC register in there but that would only work in the summer. And I can't put a return in there either because this air handler's return is right next to it in the hallway. I live in hot and humid North Florida.
My thoughts are that those bathroom fans are too loud and wasteful (if run very much).

Yes, undercut the door or just cut a vent into the door. If that is not enough, you could install a nice (larger) computer fan in the door-vent.

As for HVAC solutions, you can install (or just cut) a "bridge duct" to another room. We have them in our house to help with pressures and return-air when bedroom doors are closed.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1

Last edited by Tesla1856; 03-29-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. I believe the Panasonic FV-0511VQ1 is rated for a sound of < .3 sones at 50 cfm. Is that pretty quiet?

Here are my options as I see them-

1. Use the Panasonic FV-0511VQ1 fan (assuming its quiet) to ventilate somewhere, either outside the house (i'm hearing this may not be the best idea) via a soffit or possibly into the hallway ceiling by the air handler and thermostat approximately 5 feet away in travel distance in the attic. My concern here is that the exhaust register will be next to a supply register and also next to the thermostat which I assume may make the AC run longer than it should making other rooms cooler than they should be.

2. Ventilate with computer fans via a wall vent into the adjacent bedroom. Not aesthetically pleasing and could make the bedroom warmer than desired.

3. Ventilate out the top of the door to the closet via cutting a hole in the door and installing a grate and a couple of computer fans. I'm assuming here that I can use the 1.5" gap on the bottom of the door to supply cool air into the closet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to bpape
If isolation isn't a big issue for you, maybe reverse the fans to bring cooler air from the bedroom into the closet and then vent the Panasonic into an HVAC return duct.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 111
https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/

Quiet strong fans. I vent my theater room into an HVAC return air duct with a 6 inch version.
Tesla1856 likes this.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Wouldn't recommend a bathroom fan. 3 sones is loud. 44dB

I am going with this:

https://www.growland.net/Schallgedae...00-cbm-R-160mm

At 3m, on lowest setting - 18 dB(A), but moves 350 m³/h (206 cfm)

Last edited by JohnnyWilkinson; 03-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, it's rated at less than .3 sones. Point 3. Or about 10 dB.

Which is less than the AC Infinity 6" fan linked above which lists 32db. (Which is an intriguing option, however)

Granted it only moves 50cfm. But that's damn quiet.

What am I missing here??
post #8 of 12 Old 03-30-2019, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, it's rated at less than .3 sones. Point 3. Or about 10 dB.

Which is less than the AC Infinity 6" fan linked above which lists 32db. (Which is an intriguing option, however)

Granted it only moves 50cfm. But that's damn quiet.

What am I missing here??
I actually use a bathroom fan to vent the closet our cat box is in. it works ok. I have it on a timer to run for 30 minutes every hour and it's been like that for at least 5 years. However it just does'nt move alot of air. 10dbs is nothing. I have a similar bathroom fan in our basement bathroom and I can't even tell it's on. The downside for actual bathroom use is that louder fans provide some added privacy with their noise lol!!!

As for my ac infinity duct vent.... it's not "in the room" like a ceiling mounted bathroom fan is ya know? The noise is non existent because it's essentially in another room (or in my case a closed closet area) so I can't hear it at all. Im not sure of the exact set up you have but if you would be mounting the duct fan in another room or attic or crawl space then you won't hear it anyway. The cool thing is you can mount it like 20 feet down the duct line or whatever and it still works unlike the bathroom fan that gets mounted on the ceiling.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
I actually use a bathroom fan to vent the closet our cat box is in. it works ok. I have it on a timer to run for 30 minutes every hour and it's been like that for at least 5 years. However it just does'nt move alot of air. 10dbs is nothing. I have a similar bathroom fan in our basement bathroom and I can't even tell it's on. The downside for actual bathroom use is that louder fans provide some added privacy with their noise lol!!!

As for my ac infinity duct vent.... it's not "in the room" like a ceiling mounted bathroom fan is ya know? The noise is non existent because it's essentially in another room (or in my case a closed closet area) so I can't hear it at all. Im not sure of the exact set up you have but if you would be mounting the duct fan in another room or attic or crawl space then you won't hear it anyway. The cool thing is you can mount it like 20 feet down the duct line or whatever and it still works unlike the bathroom fan that gets mounted on the ceiling.
That's a good point. I could fully mount this inline unit in the attic, 10 feet down the line. It sounds like I could also even experiment with negative vs. positive pressure. Do you push cool air into your AV closet from the top or do you suck in fresh air from the bottom of the door, sucking out the hot air at the top? If the latter, do you find you have any dust issues on your equipment after a few months?

Remember in my case, I cannot dump the hot air into an AC return since my return is right next to the air handler on the other side of the wall. You will see that in the pictures in the thread linked in the next sentence.

Here's a parallel discussion with pictures - https://www.diychatroom.com/f17/v-cl...advice-656381/

Last edited by acribb; 03-30-2019 at 04:58 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's a good point. I could fully mount this inline unit in the attic, 10 feet down the line. It sounds like I could also even experiment with negative vs. positive pressure. Do you push cool air into your AV closet from the top or do you suck in fresh air from the bottom of the door, sucking out the hot air at the top? If the latter, do you find you have any dust issues on your equipment after a few months?

Remember in my case, I cannot dump the hot air into an AC return since my return is right next to the air handler on the other side of the wall. You will see that in the pictures in the thread linked in the next sentence.

Here's a parallel discussion with pictures - https://www.diychatroom.com/f17/v-cl...advice-656381/
Well, My AV closet is large, in the basement, and my AV gear is open to the theater so the closet is not "closed off". Ill attatch a couple pics to explain. I have 2 AC infinity units that draw air from the top of my Pre-amp and my Amplifier and exhaust out the rear into my "AV closet". The other cooling is positive pressure going from my AV closet and into my amplifier (from bottom) and into my projector space (from the rear) as my projector vents out the front. The 2 positive pressure fans do have filters on them to minimize dust. Despite having forced hot air I don't get much dust at all in the AV area. I just cleaned my projector intake filter last week after 5 years and it was basically clean. I attribute alot of that to the pre filter on the positive pressure cooling fans.

So the shelves my gear sits on is basically open to the large closet behind them. So I suck air out of the theater and send it out to the closet.. except my projector unfortunately as it vent out the front. The fact that it's in the basement keeps the area quite cool so my "heat sink" air volume has a head start being around 60 degrees.

As for your AC return.... My air handler is directly before the AC coil ..... I'm assuming yours is after the AC coil and thats why you can't dump hot air into the duct at that spot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_150023.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	803.1 KB
ID:	2547536   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_145930.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	632.0 KB
ID:	2547538  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. My air handler, which stands upright like a person, is directly on the other side of that square return vent you can see near the bottom wall. The air is sucked through that vent upwards into the coil and the supply is pushed out the top into the duct system in the attic.

The scribbled square on the opposite lower wall is a possible option where to dump the hot air from the closet.

I'm wondering if the 6" fan and duct work I'm proposing is overkill, but I really want a nice solution that doesn't involve modifying this door.

Here's a video I just made that better explains the situation-
post #12 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the thing to do is force cool air in the bottom of the door with a flush mount fan of some kind on the door.... and then a vent on the ceiling going to an exhaust duct out into the the return air some how. I would say you could exhaust to the attic but then you are just pumping all your AC into the attic via the AV closet so that doesn't seem like the best idea. I wouldn't dump it all back into the room by the ceiling either as the hot air will stay up there ya know. I don't hate the idea of venting out one side of the hallway straight across to the air intake. That would be better than venting hot air near the ceiling.

No matter what you decide I would say you need some kind of ventilation. That closet is pretty tight and you will be creating a bunch of heat in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page