Getting Power to Ceiling Mounted Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PrimeTime

post #1 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Getting Power to Ceiling Mounted Projector

Hello,

I will be mounting a projector on the ceiling of my basement.

Lucky for me, my ceiling joists run perpendicular to the projector, allowing me an easy "fish" of wiring directly to the left of the projetor into my unfinished storage/media center room. I can run the wires straight along the joists until they drop into the unfished room on the left where all the AV equipment resides.

My only question is around running power. I'm not really excited to try to install an outlet in the ceiling. I could certainly hire an electrician, sure. I can't run an extension cord the 10 feet or so, because that sounds like a bad idea for code and other reasons. The only other solution I can think of is powerbridgesolutions.com...it seems like it would do the trick and be safe.

Any other ideas I'm missing? Will my projector just have a 15 foot power cord to solve this problem for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Something like this will do the trick...

Legrand - Wiremold CMK70 Flat Screen TV Cord and Cable Power Kit, Recessed In-Wall Cable Management System with PowerConnect, White. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K3CM4S..._uinPCb978NC1B

More like a glorified extension cord with a female adapter to run a standard power cord down bottom.

There are quite a few different styles. Some with a pass through to run the hdmi cable as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Or...can I just buy a longer power cord and run IT through the wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elverde07426 View Post
Or...can I just buy a longer power cord and run IT through the wall?

You just said above this is a bad idea for code and other reasons, which is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 10:33 AM

The kits at least do wiring properly. Or if you have an outlet down low on the same wall already, you can place an outlet up top and just drop the proper wire down to the existing outlet.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 472
If you can run an HDMI cable from your PJ to your media room, there is no reason why you can't fish a piece of Romex with it. Locate the ceiling joist nearest the PJ with a studfinder, cut a hole there and mount a duplex outlet box to the joist just like it was a wall outlet. One half of the duplex box would have twin AC receptacles, and the other half would have an HDMI feedthrough connector. Worked for me.
ckronengold likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
If you can run an HDMI cable from your PJ to your media room, there is no reason why you can't fish a piece of Romex with it. Locate the ceiling joist nearest the PJ with a studfinder, cut a hole there and mount a duplex outlet box to the joist just like it was a wall outlet. One half of the duplex box would have twin AC receptacles, and the other half would have an HDMI feedthrough connector. Worked for me.
Well he does need an outlet underneath... Unless you want to start fishing across studs which isn't fun. Though cutting for a double gang can give you some room to work a right angle drill and bit.

post #8 of 20 Old 04-03-2019, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

A few points of clarification:

My joists run the right direction...any wires can run right alongside them.

Re: the longer power cable...i see countless people installing outlets in their attics and plugging in there.

While it wouldnt be appropriate to run an extension cord in the wall, why couldnt I simply run a 20' power cable DIRECTLY from the projector, through ceiling, and into an outlet in the media room? Whats the difference between this and an "in attic" outlet?
post #9 of 20 Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Re: the longer power cable...i see countless people installing outlets in their attics and plugging in there.

While it wouldnt be appropriate to run an extension cord in the wall, why couldnt I simply run a 20' power cable DIRECTLY from the projector, through ceiling, and into an outlet in the media room? Whats the difference between this and an "in attic" outlet?
Extension cords and power cables running through walls violates code. Those in-attic outlets are run with proper 14/2 (romex) wiring designed to be run to an electrical box and outlet. Like one user suggested, run a piece of romex between the joists with your HDMI and install an outlet by the projector. Then tie that romex in to an outlet in your media room. You don't NEED an electrician to install an outlet. If you're uncomfortable installing an outlet and tieing it into an existing outlet,then some folks would highly recommend hiring an electrician.

I feel like we're all, including you, saying the same thing here but you're want to do it the easy way and we're telling you the proper way isn't much more effort (and may be cheaper). There is nothing stopping you from doing what you're suggesting other than it violates code and if you have something happen to your house and the insurance finds out about any short cuts it could be bad. A piece of romex, an outlet box, an outlet and plate are probably cheaper than the same length extended power cord.

Last edited by Aberk; 04-04-2019 at 04:03 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 AM

If you have an outlet in the attic, I would just run romex from that directly above the outlet location near the projector. Drill a hole in the attic floor, cut for an outlet underneath by your projector and install the outlet.

It really is pretty simple, and you shouldn't need an electrician. Lots of diagrams and simple instructions on line to wire it up. Literally matching up the color of wires coming in to the screws on the opposite side of the outlet in the attic, and then the other end connects the same way on one side of the outlet by the pj.

post #11 of 20 Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all of the feedback, folks. Ceiling outlet it is!
post #12 of 20 Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Quote:
The only other solution I can think of is powerbridgesolutions.com...it seems like it would do the trick and be safe.

The Powerbridge you mentioned in your OP is a great idea IMO. It will still need romex type wire ran between the outlet and the inlet in your equipment room but then will allow you to have your projector on conditioned power, surge protection or even battery backup conditioned power. It also provides for all your other cables a clean looking install.

Bud
post #13 of 20 Old 04-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm jealous. My joists ran parallel between the projector and screen wall. Had to use the HVAC soffit to run all my wires from projector to A/V setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soffit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	2549252  

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #14 of 20 Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I had the same situation as you and did the ceiling outlet. I was nervous and ran the power in the next bay from the HDMI cable. I've read since that wasn't probably necessary.

But if you have a screwdriver you can install an outlet. I agree with the poster above that using the Powerbridge or competitor could make you more comfortable. I used the Monoprice one for elsewhere in the house and it was easy enough.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I'm jealous. My joists ran parallel between the projector and screen wall. Had to use the HVAC soffit to run all my wires from projector to A/V setup.
If it makes you feel better, ive since found that I have a metal I beam running with 2 hvac ducts in parralel directly against the I beam at the top of the wall between theater and media room. Still plenty of room for wire, but I'm not going to be able to see crap while fishing the wire.

Still do able, but its never as easy as you hope.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Its a heat issue with the and extension or power cord in the wall, hence the code. I anything happened fire wise insurance would give you a problem.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
If it makes you feel better, ive since found that I have a metal I beam running with 2 hvac ducts in parralel directly against the I beam at the top of the wall between theater and media room. Still plenty of room for wire, but I'm not going to be able to see crap while fishing the wire.

Still do able, but its never as easy as you hope.
Watch out for nails. I did a lot of my fishing blind, and I came out looking like an extra in Saving Private Ryan.

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #18 of 20 Old 04-06-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 385
This is what I used:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ARka9a...ERKIT-PRO.html

works great..hope this helps

post #19 of 20 Old 04-06-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 286
If you are fishing blind these might help save some aggravation

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...kit-65327.html

they are unbelievably helpful on difficult wire pulls and are cheap enough you won't mind if you never use them again.

If you need to see , there are several endoscopes on amazon that link to your smartphone at pretty decent prices , I haven't tried any of them yet so I can't comment on their quality . I have a Milwaukee endoscope and it's great when I don't want to cut a head sized hole in someones ceiling.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #20 of 20 Old 04-06-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 104
This is what I used:

https://www.powerbridgesolution.com/...-extension-kit

I just ditched their 'outlet' though as I had a standard outlet already mounted in a standard box on the Chief projector pole I had so I wired the 'inlet' to that standard outlet. As far as I am aware, this is all to code, it also allowed me to inject the power into the inlet from a UPS to protect the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page