Need some help with a basement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Need some help with a basement

Hi,
I try to read as much as I can and not ask too many questions but I need some advice. I just bought a house with a finished basement (pics are from the listing, we havent moved in yet). The problem is the ceiling height. The ceiling height varies from 80" to 92" with there being the 80" dip in the center of the room for hvac and a load bearing beam. The dip is 10' back from the wall. I'm upgrading to 4k so bought/buying new receiver and projector (benq ht3550). I'm struggling with placement of the center speaker, as the screen bottom will only be 20" from the floor, and whether I'll be able to do a riser for the 2nd row (buying ht seats). Obviously I'll be blacking out the glass doors. I will be putting the av equipment in the wall. Can I do a riser? Any advice on center channel placement (ceiling or floor)? Any other advice in general before I get started is very welcome, I've wanted the opportunity to do this since I got into home theater 15 years ago.
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190405_193415_1554513433835.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	2549524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190405_193359_1554513458187.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	2549526   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190405_193338_1554513466399.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	2549528  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-07-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to bpape
A riser will be tough but doable. The screen will just need to be mounted lower than normal. As for center channel, given the restrictions maybe an AT screen with an in-wall center behind?

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
post #3 of 10 Old 04-08-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post
A riser will be tough but doable. The screen will just need to be mounted lower than normal. As for center channel, given the restrictions maybe an AT screen with an in-wall center behind?
Thank you for the response. I thought about an AT screen but that would also mean building a new wall for it and I have def tech bipolar speakers so not sure how they'd fair being boxed up like that if I put all of the fronts behind the screen. An even bigger concern would be that, if i have been reading correctly, the AT screens seem to dim the image. I'm not sure the trade off is worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to bpape
I was thinking more just an in-wall center channel behind the AT. DefTechs would still be out and free to move and breathe. As for brightness, many PJ's these days are plenty bright to handle it. Understand the concern though.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
post #5 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If your plan is to buy home theater seating, another option to consider is buying "front row" height seats.

Google is your friend here. But the base of the seats is minimal, so you sit low to the floor, giving room for the second row to see over them.

Congrats on your new house. I know your pain. Last year I bought a house with 84" ceilings and a 12" HVAC soffit running 12' from the screen.

I bought a lift from monoprice that drops the projector below the soffit for movie time. Raises it behind the soffit when we're not.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I had sort of a similar issue in my first build as the ceiling in front of the screen was lower than the seating area. My screen was low to the floor. I made a custom stand that sat low and angled up. There are pics of it in my first build thread some place. I still use actually as it turned out to be a nice little stand for the center.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! This gives me some hope. Today i started thinking it may help to alleviate some of these problems if i used a table mounted position instead... it would give me the extra height to mount the screen and a decent amount of room to have the center channel below the screen. I would buy or build a small cabinet to house it in and secure it to the floor. I would probably have the first room a 2 seat/projector/1 seat set up with the project or cabinet between the 2 seats and 1 seat. Are there downsides to this option?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
If your plan is to buy home theater seating, another option to consider is buying "front row" height seats.

Google is your friend here. But the base of the seats is minimal, so you sit low to the floor, giving room for the second row to see over them.

Congrats on your new house. I know your pain. Last year I bought a house with 84" ceilings and a 12" HVAC soffit running 12' from the screen.

I bought a lift from monoprice that drops the projector below the soffit for movie time. Raises it behind the soffit when we're not.
Thank you, i'm excited to get going on it. That's a cool idea.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Ideally, you'd want to treat your front wall to absorb energy coming off the backside of an AT screen, and that wouldn't play well with the DEFTechs.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Ideally, you'd want to treat your front wall to absorb energy coming off the backside of an AT screen, and that wouldn't play well with the DEFTechs.
Yes, I agree. I've pretty much decided for a lot of reasons not to use an AT screen. I'm just deciding now between table mounting (i'd put it in a cabinet and secure) the projector, giving me more space between the floor at the screen for the center channel or ceiling mounting the projector and having the center channel closer to the floor and tilted up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page