A few questions about finishing my build. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-09-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A few questions about finishing my build.

Hi there,
I am nearing completion of my basement media/movie room and had a few questions I thought I'd run by you all.

I'll be using a JVC LX-UH1 projector with a SnapAV Ultra Acoustic fixed screen (100").

I'm using Klipsch Pro-160RPW speakers for my 3 fronts that will be behind the screen. The tweeters are 34" apart.

The wall behind the screen will be painted a flat black.

So here are my questions:
1. Do I need to (or should I) treat this wall? Any sound absorption or anything like that?

2. For all of the in-wall and in-ceiling (7.1.4 setup), I installed Roxul Safe'n'Sound insulation around the speaker, kind of like a box. The speaker will have 6" in all directions w/o any insulation. Would this be OK to hit 80hz, at which point the sub(s) will take over?

3. I'll be painting my walls a dark gray color. The room will be used with lights on and off, so black doesn't work for me. Along with the dark gray walls, I'll be doing a lighter (still dark-ish) gray ceiling. I'm thinking these colors would do well in a dark room to minimize reflections.

4. How would you paint speaker grills? Using spray or roller?

5. How would you paint your led lights/trims? Mine are not separates. The bulb is built into the trim. I believe I'll end up painting the bulb!

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate everyone's input in my previous posts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-10-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'll take a shot at answering what I can here.

1. I never used any wall treatments for sound and I wouldn't think you'd need to do the screen wall but I'm no expert with sound really. I'd think maybe the side and back walls would be more important for sound reflection.

2. I'm not really sure. I know roxul is great for sound insulation but I don't have any atmos setup and again not the best on the sound technical details myself. My builds I'm sure would drive some audiophiles crazy but to me it still sounds good.

3. I've used grey's in my first build and also my current build. I feel the grey's do really well in the dark and with some lights on and also I think the room ends up just looking nice and classy. If your worried about reflection flat paint is best. I did on the ceiling but not the walls as flat paint sucks to clean. I used eggshell and it was fine to me. I didn't really notice the reelections when watching movies or sports.

4/5. I've never painted speaker grills myself but I have painted heater vents and trim kits for my can lights. I went with a spray type paint and came out great. As for the trims with bulbs in them I guess you'd have to take your time taping off the buld then spray or you'll cover the bulb. Mine were just the trim alone. Maybe use some paint that rated for heat like something to paint a grill. Led's don't get as hot as regular bulbs but maybe good to be safe.

Good luck. Post some pictures when done!

Last edited by gec5741; 04-10-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I'll take a shot at answering what I can here.

1. I never used any wall treatments for sound and I wouldn't think you'd need to do the screen wall but I'm no expert with sound really. I'd think maybe the side and back walls would be more important for sound reflection.

2. I'm not really sure. I know roxul is great for sound insulation but I don't have any atmos setup and again not the best on the sound technical details myself. My builds I'm sure would drive some audiophiles crazy but to me it still sounds good.

3. I've used grey's in my first build and also my current build. I feel the grey's do really well in the dark and with some lights on and also I think the room ends up just looking nice and classy. If your worried about reflection flat paint is best. I did on the ceiling but not the walls as flat paint sucks to clean. I used eggshell and it was fine to me. I didn't really notice the reelections when watching movies or sports.

4/5. I've never painted speaker grills myself but I have painted heater vents and trim kits for my can lights. I went with a spray type paint and came out great. As for the trims with bulbs in them I guess you'd have to take your time taping off the buld then spray or you'll cover the bulb. Mine were just the trim alone. Maybe use some paint that rated for heat like something to paint a grill. Led's don't get as hot as regular bulbs but maybe good to be safe.

Good luck. Post some pictures when done!
Hi, and thanks!

I appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page