Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Balun vs HDMI for ~40' Run

Howdy,

Just moved into a new place, which has a basement setup with architectural speakers I'd like to use. The configuration has my 65" LG C9 OLED wall mounted, with the built in shelving for my AVR and all other devices on the opposite side of the room. The previous owner was using a basic high speed HDMI cable of about 50' fished through the ceiling for his AVR. I attempted to use the existing run with my AVR, Xbox One X, and Apple TV 4K, to no avail. Static and picture drop off were pretty much all I got, although DTS and Dolby via ARC to my AVR had no issues when running Netflix from the TV app.

I was able to run a 35' Cat6 cable - that ran a tad short - but am wondering if I should be using a Balun unit, or just running a newer 40' HDMI 2.1 cable that can support 18Gbps and ARC. I don't use my OLED's baked-in apps often, but I do have antenna TV and the option to use ARC would be idea, but not mandatory. I've been looking at the Altona HDR-EX-70-2PS kit, but I see Monoprice and a few other brands name checked here often. No balun manufacturer seems to have a unit under $1500 with a chipset that supports 18Gps, 4:4:4, HDR, and Dolby Vision at 60Hz. And if I want IR support or ARC, that's even more. It seems an HDMI would be fine for that, but I worry about the signal degradation, especially for UHD/HDR content, and especially lag for gaming.

Any recommendations as to what would be the ideal setup outside of me moving all my equipment in front of the television, which would waste the built in space, and be visually unappealing? I've attached a panoramic photo to illustrate the layout. TV is mounted to the left and the built ins are all the way to the right. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.png
Views:	19
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	2554192  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying Fiberoptic HDMI first.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I would start with a nice monoprice cable. I have a 75' cabernet that works great(as well as a couple of 35' and 40'), but I don't think those support 18Gps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The monoprice cabernet won't do 4K at that distance. I tried a 45' one and it failed, got a replacement, it also failed. So I went with a fiber HDMI cable.

I'd say going with the balun is a waste of money when a 4K fiber hdmi can be gotten for <$200 (I used Ruprio).

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
The monoprice cabernet won't do 4K at that distance. I tried a 45' one and it failed, got a replacement, it also failed. So I went with a fiber HDMI cable.

I'd say going with the balun is a waste of money when a 4K fiber hdmi can be gotten for <$200 (I used Ruprio).
The DynamicView cable should. (I hope)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #6 of 6 Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Fiber if running in the room or through conduit. Cat6 + balun if you have to permanently run it in the wall and can't do a conduit for some reason. For permanent in-wall wiring I'd include multiple cat6 cables to cover potential future needs which may require more than one. I run 4 Cat6 to each of my TVs in addition to a conduit for HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page