Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5.1 Surround Concerns

Hello,

In process of building new house in which we will have a dedicated family room/tv area in the basement. The plan so far is a projector with 120" screen and a 5.1 setup. I have selected Klipsch RP-600M's for my L/R speakers and a RP600C for the center. I will be using my existing Monolith 12" for a sub. I had initially planned on using the RP-500M for the surround speakers but am now doubting that pick. Looking at floor plans and deciding where I need to pull wire before drywall goes up made me question that. I am wondering now if the 502S would be a better option. I have attached both the overhead drawing of the room as well as the in room view. I have the mock 502S drawn in red. I have also drawn in the furniture that will more than likely be in the room. My questions are:

1) Will the 502S be better for this application?
2) Should I have any concerns about seating not being an equal distance between the two surrounds or will room correction on my Denon receiver help with that?
3) I have these mocked up at 6' for height, should they be closer to ear level? I have concerns doing that since one will be over a wet bar.

I don't have any desire to implement 7.1 or Atmos at this time as it would expand my budget considerably.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	2555738   Click image for larger version

Name:	surrounds.png
Views:	40
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2555740  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa11en View Post

At the location shown, possibly a better choice. Being close on that left side, the 500M might be more noticeable/localized by anyone seated closely. The 502 could mitigate that. It's not the ideal placement for surrounds in a 5.1, at least for a monopole type speaker like the 500M. I'm totally monopole, so I'll let somebody with hands-on experience with bi-pole placement comment on this.

Quote:
2) Should I have any concerns about seating not being an equal distance between the two surrounds or will room correction on my Denon receiver help with that?
Don't worry too much about this. The receiver will help compensate for the different distances.

Quote:
3) I have these mocked up at 6' for height, should they be closer to ear level? I have concerns doing that since one will be over a wet bar.

Ideally, yes. In my opinion. But if not doing Atmos, I think it less critical. I've been in several 5.1 home theaters with surrounds mounted up high, and they sounded great. A few of them have been aimed downward, and some flat on the wall.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Bipoles do have their place and can have a little more flexible in placement, but your seating position puts you in a difficult predicament. Perhaps shifting your couch a couple feet towards the walkway, could make monopoles work. Generally speaking, the absolute minimum should be 3-4 feet from the surround speaker to prevent too much localization. I have a similar set-up, just not as extreme, but my answer to your 2nd question might give some context.

Quote:
Room correction will help, but it won't overcome physics. As mentioned, I have a similar situation and in one particular seating position, one of my surround 600m is probably 3.5-4 ft away on one side, while being 7-8 ft away from the other side. A good receiver/room correction will definitely help correct distances and help you snap a baseline and you can make manual adjustments from there. The main listening position will always have it best, but again, a good receiver and room correction definitely helps, I wouldn't worry too much this.

Quote:
A couple feet above ear level is the general recommended height for surrounds. This helps to ensure it clears couch edges, etc. SVS, Klipsch, and a few other audio article have write-ups on this subject if you're interested.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions as I'm actually using a Klipsch 600m set-up myself, so I have a bit of first hand experience with them. Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
At the location shown, possibly a better choice. Being close on that left side, the 500M might be more noticeable/localized by anyone seated closely. The 502 could mitigate that. It's not the ideal placement for surrounds in a 5.1, at least for a monopole type speaker like the 500M. I'm totally monopole, so I'll let somebody with hands-on experience with bi-pole placement comment on this.

Don't worry too much about this. The receiver will help compensate for the different distances.

Ideally, yes. In my opinion. But if not doing Atmos, I think it less critical. I've been in several 5.1 home theaters with surrounds mounted up high, and they sounded great. A few of them have been aimed downward, and some flat on the wall.
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate you taking time to respond.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions as I'm actually using a Klipsch 600m set-up myself, so I have a bit of first hand experience with them. Have fun!
Thanks! What were the deciding factors for you to choose the RP-600M for a surround vs a RP-500M or even the RP-402s/502s?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Thanks! What were the deciding factors for you to choose the RP-600M for a surround vs a RP-500M or even the RP-402s/502s?
When I was putting together the set, the 600M wasn't that much more than the 500M at the time, and since I had experience with the 600M, I just chose that. As far as choosing monopoles over bipoles, my main listening position puts them, more or less, close to equal distance, so it worked out well. Even at the extreme listening position, where the surround is about 3.5 ft away, it doesn't sound terrible; my receiver does a decent job of room correction and IMO, the Klipsch

I haven't heard the 502S in person, but I have heard bipoles before and the dispersion is versatile when seating arrangement creates a challenge. I already owned the 600M's so I knew what it was going to sound like, so that was the big driver in my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page