Wanting to get the biggest image from a sub-$3k projector.. does it matter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wanting to get the biggest image from a sub-$3k projector.. does it matter?

I have a wall that is 15'10" across and 9' high (with 3 inch baseboards on the floor). The projector can be 15'2" at the furthest distance (minus the length of the projector). I'm really not good at this so as far as I can tell with the Epson 5050UB that I was looking to buy or the older 4050UB, the biggest size screen I can get is 133 inches or so. With the Optoma UHD60.. it's similar.

Not wanting to buy a short throw projector, am I limited to this 130-140 inch range on the "go to" choices for a projector around $2500?

Thanks.. sorry if this is the wrong place or this has been asked before.

Edit: 5 posts in 13 years... nice.

Last edited by FreddieKU; 05-08-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a better place to post stuff like this btw? 38 views and no responses leads me to believe I'm asking a dumb question or something. Is there a chat channel or something where I can ask tedious stuff like this?

Sorry, just trying to educate myself.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 153
You're probably better off posting this in the "Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3000" forum. As to your question, I'll let the experts answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
You're probably better off posting this in the "Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3000" forum. As to your question, I'll let the experts answer.
Thanks.. will do!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
what's your viewing distance, and are you sure you need larger than 130ish?
just from personal experience(but also backed by some others) you can absolutely go too big. not just too big to have a good quality image, but too big to be comfortable as well. if you've done the testing, and you already know you want bigger, then no worries. but if you're just coming from a flat screen, and you're thinking bigger = better, that's not always the case.

i'm not caught up on the latest 'go to' models, so i can't really help with suggestions for alternatives. but i'll in another 2cents and say that i would not give up buying a 'go to' projector for an extra 10" of screen. despite all the cheap options out there, it's pretty rare to find a truly remarkable value projector that provides a top quality picture at a reasonable cost. and depending on your location, it can be really tricky to do any comparison shopping of your own, so sticking with known winners is usually the way to go.

you can buy convertor/adapter lenses to increase the image size at any given throw distance. i have zero experience, and have not heard any experiences from forums members using them either. but they do exist, and i assume there's probably some cheap ones that destroy the image quality, and good ones that cost as much as the projector...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'll second what @fierce_gt asked above.

Your viewing distance will absolutely dictate your screen size. Yes you can do a 133" screen with any of the projectors you listed, but if you're sitting 8' away you're going to drive yourself mad. For example, I currently have a 120" 16:9 and have a viewing/sitting distance of of ~9' 4". While the picture looks impressive, on several occasions I found my eyes darting all over the screen trying to keep up with fast-paced action and it was incredibly difficult to keep focus/concentration; so much so, that I am strongly considering stepping down to a smaller screen (possibly 2.39:1), like a 110" or even 100".

As for your projector choice, if you've got the budget for a 5050UB, for the $$ it's very hard to beat. Here is a good look at it at the projector; I would also poke your head in the 5050UB thread here on AVS. I would also look at the BenQ HT5550. Are you looking to do a 16:9 or a 2.39:1/scope; latter would pretty much dictate having lens memory-capable projector.

Living Room-Sony 65" XBR900E, Denon X3300W, Nvidia SHIELD. 5.1.2-Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE L/R, CMT-340Center, HTM-200SE Surround, RSL C34E Atmos, Sealed UM18-22 Sub.
"Micro Theater"-Optoma UHD51A, DIY 120" Spandex AT Screen, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-800X, Nvidia SHIELD. 7.2.4 - DIYSG HTM-10 LCR, RSL CG3 Surround, Micca M-8C Atmos , 2 4cuf Sealed 18-22 Ultimax.

Last edited by Shape of Grey; 05-21-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page