Classic purchase recommendation and room layout assitance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Classic purchase recommendation and room layout assitance

Hi. So, a brief back story: I ended up stuck with a clearance Denon Avr-s540bt on accident. Have an older Sony hooked up to a mix of old thrift store 1980-1990 speakers : two of which are actually mounted behind the tv...yea...my bad.

So I decided to use the opportunity to upgrade. I have a very obsessive / addictive personality so if I let myself I could go into this real deep real fast. To avoid that I decided to get the cheapest set that I could feel satisfied in knowing I got a great value to quality improvement without going diving...perhaps a small snorkeling trip if you will. Maybe one day if I get a dedicated theater room I can go in deep but for now the layout is terrible (more on that later)

At first I was ready to buy the Monoprice 10565 at 149 shipped, but then decided I really wanted the 12 inch sub, substantially raising the cost so I decided to keep reading. Further reading led me to the AJ pioneer, which led me to Elac. I was settled on the Debut 6.2 and actually already purchased a c6.2 that popped up for 223 new.

Then I read more.

Tomorrow I am supposed to be meeting someone in the a.m. and buying a couple of used but like new Unifi UB5 for 275.

So, I assume I will need to return the debut c6.2 I purchased? I am not sure what that will cost me, but anyway, assuming I should do that: My plan is to hunt around until I can find a Uc5 for cheap and then add a monoprice 12 inch sub.

I am less confident about the sub, but it seems “good enough” from what I have read. Any advice on the above would be great, I have only been learning about this for about 4 days now...

On the layout: I live in a 1200 sqft two story. The front door opens to a very small 5x5 ish entry way, immediately on passing through that we come to the “living room” the tv is in the wall running perpendicular to the entryway door. The distance to the seating area is about 15ft but real distance from center to head is 10ft sitting upright. I should have just under 4ft of space between the end of the center and the left speaker. The right will be about 5 feet away, I have a tower style bookshelf with open sides and back with a 13inch shelf space so it should slide right in that, and I can pull the shelf from the wall a bit. The left however will have to be mounted on the wall, the rear will be away from the back wall but there is nothing I can do about the side mount.

The living room is one large open are with the “dining room” which is essentially also one large area to the kitchen theb a small L shapes to a small laundry and restroom area. So the main area is basically a rectangle 15x40, with 15x 20 used as “tv room” 9 feet ceilings with an large open stair way to the upstairs and an L to the entry and L to the laundry.

Thus, my questions:

The ub5 seems really solid at 275 from what I have read, but it is used. After adding the cost of a center and having just old 90s era speakers for surrounds, am I missing something I should have looked out within that price range? Haven’t committed to or learned the value of quality rear speakers yet, but that may be due to lack of research/experience.

Will the 12 inch monoprice really serve much purpose in that space or is it simply too much “air to move” (something I read somewhere)? I am not ready to up my budget significantly though am willing to for compelling reasons, but I have a very tight space to fit a sub in, and no space for dual subs that would be spaced properly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about spelling and other typing errors, 3am here and on my phone, don’t see an edit button but I will fix the grammatical problems later.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Could you post some pictures or diagrams of your space? If you don't have room for two subs, then it sounds like you are on the right path with a Monolith THX 12. However, I would recommend you focus first on obtaining all of your base speakers and get a decent setup going with those first, including rear surrounds. If you go book shelf speakers all around, you have the option to either wall mount or place on stands, so it seems you are taking a good route with the Unifi UB5's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Could you post some pictures or diagrams of your space? If you don't have room for two subs, then it sounds like you are on the right path with a Monolith THX 12. However, I would recommend you focus first on obtaining all of your base speakers and get a decent setup going with those first, including rear surrounds. If you go book shelf speakers all around, you have the option to either wall mount or place on stands, so it seems you are taking a good route with the Unifi UB5's.

Hi, so, first thanks for the post. Second, my apologies for the length of post 1...stupid 3am decisions.

So first, on the sub...I was actually meaning the cheapo 12 inch 150Watt....yikes. The sub decision is very much on the backburner for now, I really want to go and grab one ASAP, but I also feel like I do not know enough and so am restraining myself.

Second, I realized that the Denon s540BT wouldn't really be ideal for my equipment, so even though it was the reason I started this I will be keeping my Sony STR-DH550 until I can find a really good deal--maybe even wait until Black Friday--on something better and maybe buy some rears then too.

Third, while I actually ordered a Unifi CC5 from amazon warehouse it will most likely be going back which leads me to my first real question:

Anyone have any idea if the UF5 would make a great center? I am thinking now if I slide my "tv stand" (tv actually is mounted on the wall) and raise the tv 5 inches I could easily fit the UF5 right under the tv next to the stand. The room layout below should help give a better idea of why I am leaning towards that. Otherwise I have to raise the tv anyway, and the speaker will be closer to the right than the left. Any sub advice would be great too, very confused on what to expect with this layout and a sub, or how best to approach it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor layout.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2565802   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv wall.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2565804  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybg View Post
Hi, so, first thanks for the post. Second, my apologies for the length of post 1...stupid 3am decisions.

So first, on the sub...I was actually meaning the cheapo 12 inch 150Watt....yikes. The sub decision is very much on the backburner for now, I really want to go and grab one ASAP, but I also feel like I do not know enough and so am restraining myself.

Second, I realized that the Denon s540BT wouldn't really be ideal for my equipment, so even though it was the reason I started this I will be keeping my Sony STR-DH550 until I can find a really good deal--maybe even wait until Black Friday--on something better and maybe buy some rears then too.

Third, while I actually ordered a Unifi CC5 from amazon warehouse it will most likely be going back which leads me to my first real question:

Anyone have any idea if the UF5 would make a great center? I am thinking now if I slide my "tv stand" (tv actually is mounted on the wall) and raise the tv 5 inches I could easily fit the UF5 right under the tv next to the stand. The room layout below should help give a better idea of why I am leaning towards that. Otherwise I have to raise the tv anyway, and the speaker will be closer to the right than the left. Any sub advice would be great too, very confused on what to expect with this layout and a sub, or how best to approach it.

Definitely take your time and research subs more in depth so you can make the best decision based on your room and budget. I don't know how well the UF5 works as a center, but if you are thinking of running three UF5's as your LCR, that should be pretty good. As for receivers, I would look for deals on the Denon x4400h, it is a great little AVR that can do pretty much everything and usually goes for around 700 or so on a good day.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6915 Post(s)
Liked: 5874
Are you willing to use the "mostly window" 15' wall as the front wall of your set-up in order to have left/right symmetry?

Sanjay
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the x4400. I spent many hours since then reading about receivers and ultimately decided that the x4400h would be perfect but for the cost, I ended up getting a used x3300w for 275....I also totally rearranged my room now so we are sitting 6-8 feet from the tv (leaning in or laying back ), the right speaker is just over 3feet from the center and the left is just over 4, can’t do any better for centering it though as one is against the wall and the other on the corner to the entry, having the center speaker vertical under the left corner worked for centering but it was almost painful how obviously the dialogue was coming from the center rather than the tv. Raised the tv up and placed it horizontally under, worked better for me.

Managed to convince my wife with the rearrange by promising her a chance to buy some pottery barn furniture, but covering the window would be a hard no

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Quote:

Definitely take your time and research subs more in depth so you can make the best decision based on your room and budget. I don't know how well the UF5 works as a center, but if you are thinking of running three UF5's as your LCR, that should be pretty good. As for receivers, I would look for deals on the Denon x4400h, it is a great little AVR that can do pretty much everything and usually goes for around 700 or so on a good day.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and those distances were measured from the center, can’t remember off hand, it’s something like 6ft to center, 6 to right and 7 to the left (depending on how relaxed I am of course
post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh and those distances were measured from the center, can’t remember off hand, it’s something like 6ft to center, 6 to right and 7 to the left (depending on how relaxed I am of course

Sounds like it's working out for you then. Did you run an Audyssey calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page