Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Proper AV Room Temperature?

What’s the target temperature for an AV closet? In mine I have an AC vent though it’s a weak flow, air vent above the door at 8’ in a room with 9’ ceilings. That got it down to 86 degrees 😜
To try out a fan, I put two small computer fans inside the vent pushing the hot air out of the closet. You can feel a good flow of air coming into the AV closet from under the door when closed. That only got it down to 82 degrees.
Any other cooling thoughts?

Go Noles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
If the ceiling vent is a "return", perhaps all you may need is a "passive" vent at the base of the door or the wall adjacent to the door for easier air flow into the closet.
Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Gril...49990059&psc=1

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
If the ceiling vent is a "return", perhaps all you may need is a "passive" vent at the base of the door or the wall adjacent to the door for easier air flow into the closet.
Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Gril...49990059&psc=1
Thank! I have a passive vent above the entry door at 8' with the closet being 9' high. I went high instead of low thinking the hotter air up high would be better to vent. Inside that passive vent I've added the 2 computer fans that lowered it 4 degrees to 82 F.

On the AC vent, its the vent that brings in cool air when the AC is on, not taking room air back to the conditioner. Thanks.

Go Noles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM

You missed my point.

With the 8' vent and fans sucking the rising warm air OUT, add a passive vent to allow the lower cool air to ENTER easier. Not just from the crack at the bottom of the door.

If that doesn't lower the temp enough... add fans to blow in at the bottom just like ones that blow out at the top.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; 05-13-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You missed my point.

With the 8' vent and fans sucking the rising warm air OUT, add a passive vent to allow the lower cool air to ENTER easier. Not just from the crack at the bottom of the door.

If that doesn't lower the temp enough... add fans to blow in at the bottom just like ones that blow out at the top.
Copy, thanks. The gap at the bottom is a probably 3/4" but clearly isn't working, will do, thanks!

Any idea what the target temp should be?

Go Noles
post #6 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFSU View Post
On the AC vent, its the vent that brings in cool air when the AC is on, not taking room air back to the conditioner. Thanks.
If you have an actual forced air A/C vent inside the closet that is not sufficient, check to see if all of the dampers are opened enough, not just on the "register", but also on the conduits leading to the closet.

post #7 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Any idea what the target temp should be?
82F shouldn't be horrible. Check manuals for recommended operating temps.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
82F shouldn't be horrible. Check manuals for recommended operating temps.
Thanks!

Go Noles
post #9 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You missed my point.

Wondering if a decent rack fan placed at the bottom of the rack will help pull enough in enough air (measured and it's a 1.5" opening under the door) to not have to cut another hole in the wall.
Rack Fan- https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...web_6796564011

If it works, then it improves the WAF. If not, then $130 has been spent and it still moves some air.

Go Noles
post #10 of 17 Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wondering if a decent rack fan placed at the bottom of the rack will help pull enough in enough air (measured and it's a 1.5" opening under the door) to not have to cut another hole in the wall.
Rack Fan- https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...web_6796564011

If it works, then it improves the WAF. If not, then $130 has been spent and it still moves some air.
Tried the rack fan above. I placed it right at the 1.5" opening at the bottom of the door so it was bringing in (per specs) 300cfm and little to no temp change. Closet is 82-84 degrees. I figured bringing in that much air would help more but the 2 fans I have sitting in the passive vent above the door are not evacuating air at more than 100cfm.

Go Noles
post #11 of 17 Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 75
How big is this closet? How much equipment is operating to get you to 82-86 degrees? What is the air temperature outside the closet? If you leave the closet door wide open how hot does the closet get? Where is the incoming AC vent located? Where are you measuring the closet temp? What is the temperature of the air coming out the top vent of the closet?

You may only be able to get it so cool. I mean if the room outside the closet is 72 degrees then you are going to have a hard time cooling down a closet full of hot AV equipment.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #12 of 17 Old 05-21-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
How big is this closet? How much equipment is operating to get you to 82-86 degrees? What is the air temperature outside the closet? If you leave the closet door wide open how hot does the closet get? Where is the incoming AC vent located? Where are you measuring the closet temp? What is the temperature of the air coming out the top vent of the closet?

You may only be able to get it so cool. I mean if the room outside the closet is 72 degrees then you are going to have a hard time cooling down a closet full of hot AV equipment.

Thanks! Closet is 5’x10’x9’ high. 7’ full rack. Outside the room is 71-72*. With the door left open it cools to 71-72*. The AC vent, which is undersized and underpowered comes in from the ceiling. I have a magnetic thermometer at the top of the 7’ rack. I have not measured the temp of the air leaving the room but will. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Noles
post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Thanks! Closet is 5’x10’x9’ high. 7’ full rack. Outside the room is 71-72*. With the door left open it cools to 71-72*. The AC vent, which is undersized and underpowered comes in from the ceiling. I have a magnetic thermometer at the top of the 7’ rack. I have not measured the temp of the air leaving the room but will. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if the closet gets down to 72 degrees with the door open...... you just need more air flow.Stronger or more exhaust fans up high. Also a fan in your equipment blowing up towards the exhaust will help as well. I have 1 fan under my amplifier and one on top exhausting to the rear. give it better airflow than just top exhaust.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Bad design. You need to cover the vent at the top of the door so the cool air from the bottom of the door can be pulled into the closet, flow over the equipment, and exit via the fan output at the top. All the current layout is doing is pulling cool air across the top. Relying on convection will not get you to your goal. If, after closing off the top vent, you still cannot get enough air flow, cut another 1/2 inch from the bottom of the door to increase the draw volume.

One entrance low, one exit high, with the ability to draw the hot air out of the top with a fan. The entire closet must be sealed, except for the air entrance and exit. Btw, better the exit is at the back of the closet, so the air is drawn from the front of the closet (door) across the equipment and out the back.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-22-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post

The passive vent at 7’ above the door has two small 60cfm computer fans in it blowing out of the closet. That sounds like what you are describing?

Copy on the door reduction from the bottom. Thanks.

Go Noles
post #16 of 17 Old 05-30-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 328
For me 68 for my wife 86
post #17 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 87
It's not easy to always find what temp a component can take, however <85 can be considered fine for long term usage. A lot of houses without AC get up to these temps in the summer. The key is if a component is supposed to let natural convection remove heat you will need to maintain air space around it or add fans. I used ACinfinty components quite successfully for my setup, which has very little extra room.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page