Accoustics treatment suggestions for small home theatre - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Question Accoustics treatment suggestions for small home theatre

Hello all
I recently moved into a new flat and moved all my audio/video equipment with me. I have built a small home cinema, which I also use for gaming and everything else.
To the room, all walls are drywall, the roof is 2.4 meters high and made of drywall on top of concrete. The floor is wooden tiles.
So I would say I have the most horrible acoustic room possible here, but that can't be changed.

Anyway, on the left side of my seating position are lots of windows (each around 60 cm wide, frame, then the next window).

Speakers are tuned with Audyssey build into my Denon X4300H AVR. I have one sub plus various speakers. It's actually a 7.1.4 Atmos system, but I didn't add the Atmos speakers to my drawing.
As you can guess, the sound is currently far from great and I also have a bit of echo in the room.
I'm considering currently some sound absorbing curtains (with an NRC of 0.75), which will at least should help with > 350 Hz.
I though about adding some absorbers to the rear wall, because there is nothing else currently there, just a flat, white wall.

Important, if I add something, it must look like it fits into a living room

Anyway, suggestions / ideas?

Thanks
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wohnung_cut.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2566584  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to bpape
I would swap the left speaker and sub position to provide better symmetry and get the left out of the corner. Bass traps in both left side corners given the open space on the other side. If tolerable, some thicker panels with a membrane on them centered on the wall behind you to help with rear wall cancellations and help with the overall decay time in the room. What do you have over the windows? curtains? Shades? Blinds? Nothing?

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. You think along the same lines as I do
At the moment, there is nothing covering the windows, but I've just ordered some semi-transparent acoustic curtains, which should at least reduce the echo somewhat. They have a NRC (ASTM C423, ISO 354) of 0.75 or SAA 0.77. They offer 0.62 @315 Hz and > 0.87 @500 Hz. The curtain is the Creation Baumann MEGACOUSTIC model.

The subwoofer actually sounded a tad better when I had it at the current position instead of the corner, which is why it's currently standing there.

For the rear wall, would you rather got for bass traps style panels or the somewhat slimmer higher frequency ones? I tend to get something like this, as they are fairly good available here in Switzerland:

https://artnovion.com/product-catego...agad-bass-trap
https://artnovion.com/product-catego...andes-absorber

If you know of cheaper/better products for here in Europe, I'm open for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I though I wanna do a little documentation about what I will do and how it currently is.

So, I measured now my room a little with REW and the Audyssey mic of my X4300H. The mic isn't calibrated or anything, but I think it does more or less show how my room sounds/sucks at the moment.

I made two measurements, one with Audyssey disabled and one with it enabled. The Audyssey measurement is a little bit better, but still horrible. Currently there is no treatment at all.

I have ordered 12 panels of Artnovion Andes https://artnovion.com/product-catego...andes-absorber. Based on a lot of reviews and comparison of graphs, this is the one model I can get here, which offers the best absorption/looks/price/availability.
I plan on mounting 8-10 on the rear wall in two rows, one above and one under ear level.
My sound absorbing curtains should arrive in around 4 weeks.

Green - Pure, no treatment
Red - Audyssey, no treatment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rew-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	2574272  
post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Added 8 of the panels to the rear wall in two horizontal rows with the middle on ear high. Re-did Audyssey and oh wow, sound has VASTLY improved. A REW graph will follow soon.
Now I just lack the window treatment, but that will take another 4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page