Help to convert finished attic to dedicated HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Help to convert finished attic to dedicated HT

Hello Everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right forum! Need some advice in converting a finished attic space to a dedicated HT in our new home. This wasn’t going to be on the cards until later as our old home is still on the market waiting to be sold with my speakers still in there! But I picked up a Epson 5040ub refurbished on sale so this got on a fast track! Attached is my rudimentary floor plan along with a couple of pictures to give you a better idea of the space I am working with. The space could be 22’x20’ (cordoning off at beginning of the second window alcove), 22’X27’ (cordoning off at the stairs) or 22’x33’ (entire space). Not sure what the technical terms are but the ceiling starts to slope at around 5’ from the floor, the non-sloped ceiling height is 9’. When I say cordoning off – I am thinking more like curtains rather than putting up a wall. I don’t need this to be a flex space, only reason for cordoning off areas would be to get a better theater like experience. In our old home, I ran a 5.2 system (just a TV, no projector) in a fairly large open living/kitchen space with the following equipment:

Receiver : Pioneer 1522K
L/C/R: Paradigm Cinema 400
Surrrounds: Pair of Paradigm Surround 1s
Sub: Pair of Triad Platinum DSP 18” 1000 Watt

I was planning on using the same equipment in this new space and trying to get my head around the best way to set it up. The space is not pre-wired but I do think it is accessible from the top. Even though it’ll be a dedicated HT space for us – ideally I want a setup that can be easily repurposed at a later time, if needed. I think we’ll go more with a couch style seating vs a theater style. It’ll mostly be movies/Netflix/Plex/live sports with very little gaming/music. I tried to search for some attic HT builds but didn’t come up with many – if there are any that’ll be useful for me to read up on, please point them to me. Few questions:

i) It is obvious that the screen will need to go in front of the big window, correct? What is the best way to achieve this? Initially, I was thinking blackout material directly on the window and then a thick curtain entire length of that wall but then I got confused as to how I would hang a fixed screen, if I decided to go that route? Want to get the biggest screen I can fit/power by the 5040ub in the space. Still reading up on 16:9 vs 2.35:1. Plan to experiment for a bit before pulling the trigger on the screen but do need to figure out how to tackle the window first.

ii) Given the layout of the room – am I down to floor standing or in-ceiling speakers? Is wall mounting even feasible? Speaker/ subs in the front of the room my best option? Should I upgrade my speakers or the ones I have will work fine for my space? Should I consider a 7.2 system?

iii) There is a closet at the back of the room – best spot for A/V equipment? Will have to run really long wires to achieve that. It is a true bedroom like closet so ventilation might be an issue?

iv) Ceiling mount or shelf mount the projector?

Thanks in advance for your time! Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190517_162606.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2568166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190513_174850.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	974.9 KB
ID:	2568168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190513_174826.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	889.0 KB
ID:	2568170  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
First let me say I am completely jealous of your space. Mt TV theater room is crammed in a small basement space.

You could do an acoustically transparent screen and have all your front sound stage behind it. That window is going to need to be completely blocked off with blackout material I would think. You could do in wall side surrounds for space savings and either wall mounted rear surrounds or in wall as well. I think your room is too deep for a shelf so ceiling mount the projector. Not sure exactly how far back that ceiling fan is so that could be an issue. Perhaps just remove the fan and use the electrical for the PJ? A new fan could be swapped back in if you need to remove the PJ and go away from a theater set up.

I would keep all my equipment behind the screen as it would mean slightly less speaker wire and much shorter subwoofer cable would be needed as you'll have your L/C/R and your Subwoofers right near the AVR.

With a setup like I suggested it wouldn't take much to revert the room back to a non theater space if needed.

Last edited by Liquid$team; 05-18-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-19-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
First let me say I am completely jealous of your space. Mt TV theater room is crammed in a small basement space.

You could do an acoustically transparent screen and have all your front sound stage behind it. That window is going to need to be completely blocked off with blackout material I would think. You could do in wall side surrounds for space savings and either wall mounted rear surrounds or in wall as well. I think your room is too deep for a shelf so ceiling mount the projector. Not sure exactly how far back that ceiling fan is so that could be an issue. Perhaps just remove the fan and use the electrical for the PJ? A new fan could be swapped back in if you need to remove the PJ and go away from a theater set up.

I would keep all my equipment behind the screen as it would mean slightly less speaker wire and much shorter subwoofer cable would be needed as you'll have your L/C/R and your Subwoofers right near the AVR.

With a setup like I suggested it wouldn't take much to revert the room back to a non theater space if needed.
Thank you for your thoughts and for your kind words! I am sure your space is great! I am excited to finally have a dedicated space to work with for the first time!

I had not considered having all the equipment upfront with an AT screen - definitely need to explore that option! Dealing with the window without permanently blocking it off is the first challenge for me. I am not sure if it was visible in the pictures but there are two ceiling fans - first ~8' and the second ~23' from the window. I was thinking first one definitely needs to come down. Need to run some calculators to figure out ceiling mount distance based on what size screen I can fit in there. Fixed vs retractable screen is another consideration as well I guess. Just feels like a lot of questions right now, with very little answers..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-19-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 103
1) For the big window, save yourself a lot of time and trouble. Simply cover it with plywood, either inside or outside. If you cover the outside with plywood, paint it to match your house and apply a little decorative trim. It'll look a lot nice. Also if you cover the outside of the window, cover the interior glass with black foam material. If you decide to sell the house down the line, it'll be a fairly simple matter of removing the plywood and any interior covering.

OR....leave the window "as is" and get an electric screen. OR, simply 'hang' a fixed rigid frame screen with eyehooks, and links of black chain.

One other thought: "attics" are not known for their acoustic properties. Do some simple tests to determine how "live" the room is. If you can hear your voice echo, it is a "live" room and needs some treatment. Your furnishings may take care of part of this problem, but you'll still need some acoustic panels.

In reading your initial post, it sounds like you want a dedicated HT room, but want flexibility in case you wish to sell the house. That's a Big Decision. You are posting to a forum of people who are bat-**** crazy about Home Theater. People here have some incredible knowledge and are willing to share ideas. Talk to your spouse or significant other about this basic decision. After that, set a budget and stick to it.
Good Luck!

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Looking at the photos again I now see the front ceiling fan lol. I also just noticed the mirror. wow my powers of observation are astounding.

You could fire some ATMOS speakers into the front two HVAC vents and have the sound travel down through the ducts giving you 6 ATMOS speakers for the price of 2 lol!!!!!

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch R5800 7.2 Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
1) For the big window, save yourself a lot of time and trouble. Simply cover it with plywood, either inside or outside. If you cover the outside with plywood, paint it to match your house and apply a little decorative trim. It'll look a lot nice. Also if you cover the outside of the window, cover the interior glass with black foam material. If you decide to sell the house down the line, it'll be a fairly simple matter of removing the plywood and any interior covering.

OR....leave the window "as is" and get an electric screen. OR, simply 'hang' a fixed rigid frame screen with eyehooks, and links of black chain.
I was thinking maybe I can try something like this: https://blackoutez.com/Blackout-EZ-Window-Covers, some members here seem to rave about it. Maybe I can also add a thick curtain along the length of that wall. Haven't ruled out the drop-down screen entirely but it'll probably be more $$. Since, I don't need the room to be a flex one - I can probably go with a fixed screen and put that extra $ towards upgrading some of my speakers!

Quote:
One other thought: "attics" are not known for their acoustic properties. Do some simple tests to determine how "live" the room is. If you can hear your voice echo, it is a "live" room and needs some treatment. Your furnishings may take care of part of this problem, but you'll still need some acoustic panels.
Good point. I tested it - didn't hear any echo. There is a door at the bottom of the stairwell leading down from the attic so I think that is helping. Will keep this in mind.

Quote:
In reading your initial post, it sounds like you want a dedicated HT room, but want flexibility in case you wish to sell the house.
You are absolutely right - I am trying to build in that flexibility. In order to do that I am willing to give up theater style seating etc but still want to be able to achieve a great picture/sound.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Looking at the photos again I now see the front ceiling fan lol. I also just noticed the mirror. wow my powers of observation are astounding.

You could fire some ATMOS speakers into the front two HVAC vents and have the sound travel down through the ducts giving you 6 ATMOS speakers for the price of 2 lol!!!!!
Have heard the term ATMOS know nothing about it.. another thing for me to research ..lol
post #8 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
I was thinking maybe I can try something like this: https://blackoutez.com/Blackout-EZ-Window-Covers, some members here seem to rave about it. Maybe I can also add a thick curtain along the length of that wall. Haven't ruled out the drop-down screen entirely but it'll probably be more $$. Since, I don't need the room to be a flex one - I can probably go with a fixed screen and put that extra $ towards upgrading some of my speakers!

Good point. I tested it - didn't hear any echo. There is a door at the bottom of the stairwell leading down from the attic so I think that is helping. Will keep this in mind.

You are absolutely right - I am trying to build in that flexibility. In order to do that I am willing to give up theater style seating etc but still want to be able to achieve a great picture/sound.
The Blackout_EZ_Window_Covers look like a great solution. Based upon your response, I'd recommend a fixed frame screen. Most metal frames will allow you to drill/insert eyehole connectors which can be connected to a chain and allow you to 'hang' the screen from the ceiling. This is a much better solution than non-motorized retractable screens. The screen material will stay rigid. "Roller" screens that are not "Tab-Tensioned" will sag and develop a 'wave' look that distorts the image projected on it. The window you are covering is not so large that you'll need to do much acoustic treatment, if any.,

I think the member who posted about Atmos and the heating ducts was joking. It is also very cool. You just need an AVR with the necessary decoder and amplifiers plus some additional ceiling mounted speakers. I suspect you won't want to open your ceiling to run wires and install flush mounted ceiling speakers. A nice alternative is the SVS "Prime Elevation" speakers. They can be either ceiling or wall mounted and because they feature an 'angle', they can be aimed at the prime viewing position. Get black speaker wire (yes, it is available).

One other thing you can do is mask the area behind you screen with blackout material, such as Royal Black velvet (I think that's the name) from Jo-Ann Fabrics. Use some backer board, wrap and glue the velvet to the panels, then mount them on the back wall with standard wood screws. There's a thread in this section titled "The Blacker the Black" (or similar) that explains how/why to do this. To really make your images "pop", do this on the ceiling and side walls, 3 to 4 feet out from the screen. It'll look like a dark theater with the screen 'floating' on a sea of black. This helps knock down light reflections and increase the perceived contrast ratio of your projector.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page