Atmos Upgrade - Couch Against Wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Atmos Upgrade - Couch Against Wall

Hi, I currently have a pretty decent home theater in my small basement. It's a 7.3 system--using Yamaha "presence" speakers and three subs. It sounds great. But, of course I can't leave good enough alone. The plan is to upgrade to an Atmos setup, now that I have a receiver that can process it. Unfortunately my couch is directly against the back wall. My speakers are all old-school Mirage bi-poles. I love how the system currently sounds, but the lure of Atmos is too much. I'm looking for help on the type of Atmos setup I should go with.

With easy access to the unfinished ceiling, I was planning on buying in-ceiling speakers--Tannoy CVS6, which is enclosed in a "can" so I think I can mount it exposed like that and not compromise sound?--and just mounting them to the joists. The question is, do I leave the presence speakers, which I guess Dolby will use as height speakers, and add two ceiling mounted Atmos speakers? Or do I add 4 ceiling Atmos speakers and remove the presence speakers? I have done a lot of searching and spent a good amount of time on Dolby's site, but my room is just too non-standard to fit into one of their ideal setups. Rough dimensions: front to back is 12 feet, ceiling is low at 7', with 6" exposed joists. My head is only like a foot off the wall when I sit on the couch. I've also considered adding a center surround speaker, as I have an extra identical surround speaker that I'm not using, and in such a small room, sitting off-center can really favor the surround closest to the listener.

Any thoughts on which way I should go? Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have almost the same room. My 7.3 is 2 in wall rear surrounds though and no front height speakers. I am trying to figure out the same thing you are, how to best go the atmos route. I just changed over from a 6.2 set up this spring with the idea of going atmos.... just haven't figured the best way to do it.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am thinking about placing the ceiling atmos here above the seating positions.... and adding front height speakers here to the left and right of the projector screen. But Im not sure if front heights are discreet channels from atmos or how specifically it is decoded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_103031.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	2569854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_103132.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	511.5 KB
ID:	2569856  

Last edited by Liquid$team; 05-21-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
I am thinking about placing the ceiling atmos here above the seating positions.... and adding front height speakers here to the left and right of the projector screen. But Im not sure if front heights are discreet channels from atmos or how specifically it is decoded.
That’s pretty much exactly what I’m thinking. But I thought I read that the better approach might be ceiling speakers mid-way between the screen and seating, aimed at the seating. And I’m also wondering how the height speakers fit into Atmos. Looking forward to other opinion on this. Thanks for posting the photos!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear from people who have their couch against the wall, and are using Atmos. Thanks!

Also, does anyone know why my signature isn't showing? I have looked for a setting for that but can't find one.

EDIT: Now the signature is showing. It didn't show on previous posts. Odd!

Projector: BenQ 2050A -- 100" screen
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2085 (essentially an RX-A2080 without the center foot)
Speakers: LR - Mirage 595is, Center: Mirage OM-C3, Surrounds and Front Presence: Mirage OmniSat
Subwoofers: 3 x Tannoy TS10
post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 240
It seems to me that you have two options. You could mount another pair of speakers above you on the back wall and designate them as "rear height" and then designate your current front presence speakers as "front height" for a total of four height speakers. The second option is you could purchase your ceiling speakers and place them in the ceiling a foot or two in front of you and designate them as "top middle" speakers. In this case you would not use your current front presence speakers as I don't know how you would designate them in the AVR. To my knowledge most AVRs only allow for "top" speaker or "height" speaker designations but do now allow you to mix the two. You could try both options and see which you prefer. In my experience, height speakers only act to expand the soundstage upwards but do not provide for the three dimensional bubble that ceiling speakers provide and that we are trying to achieve with Atmos. I personally would just install two ceiling speakers and remove the presence speakers.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You can only do what you can do, I would go 4 height channels, 2 right up to the back wall and two out front. I think a key point is that you really have the surrounds and rears low at just above head height so you get the separation from the lower ceiling. Recessed speakers would be my choice over any encased speakers moving them even lower. The surrounds might even need to be moved slightly forward a bit so the rear is not so crowded. You could probably scrap the rears and go 5.4.4 if you wanted which I think I would like over the 7.3.2 or all out with the 7.3.4 which is what I would do.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have a 7.2.2 setup in my theater, with the theater seats on the back wall.

The method I used for separating the side and rear surrounds is by using the SVS Ultra Surround speakers in "Duet Mode", which allows you to run two separate channels to the same speaker. One channel fires toward the front (side surround), and one fires toward the rear (rear surround). They are mounted slightly above ear height, even in line with the listeners ears.

This has been so great for my theater because neither surround speaker points directly at the listener, and is diffused by the rear wall, so it makes them very difficult to locate, despite them being right near your ear.

Then I wired two atmos speakers in the ceiling slightly forward (top middle).

See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B30722E6-CB7B-4AF5-9471-760B755A9C80_1559101761475.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2572962   Click image for larger version

Name:	B636A011-7C70-40E1-BDC5-853346454E68_1559101783310.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2572964   Click image for larger version

Name:	B359B0ED-F986-47A8-9F81-790A7B61C764_1559101969605.jpeg