Home theater/ family room ideas - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home theater/ family room ideas

Hello all,

I have been trying to decide on what surround system I am going to put into my new "theater" room, and was looking for some ideas. I believe that I want a 7.1 or 7.2 system. I am not set on any particular equipment, but there are a couple of things that must be. First the TV will be a LG OLED 65" mounted on a retractor going up into the attic along the 11'6" wall, and the speakers must be installed in the ceiling. For now the seating will be 10' from the screen, with the future idea of putting a second row in on a platform behind it. As you can see from the sketch, the room is going to be fairly large, bu off the 11'6" wall it is open into the kitchen.

For the receiver, it was suggested that I use a Sony STR-ZA1100ES, but I don't like it since it doesn't have bluetooth or wireless in it. I was looking at a Denon avrx2500h. At less than half the cost, it has what seems to be everything that I would want in it.

For the speakers, I am totally lost. Some places you look and they say that $50 Micca speaker work better that some $400 speakers and at other places it is just opposite.

My budget for the speakers and receiver is going to be around $2,000-$3,000.

Thanks in advance on any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190522_183547.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	948.9 KB
ID:	2570300  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hmmm hot in an attic for a tv to sit. Are you saying the Center R and L have to be in the ceiling? not even in wall is possible?

Denon AVR-X6500h Klipsch RP-8000f RP-440C (4) RP-150MS sides in parallel RB-51 rears, 4 JBL C67P pendants for atmos, 2 monolith 12" subs
Epson 5040UB, Sony Ubp-X700, AC infintiy T9, Nvidia Shield
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, all the speakers are going to have to be in ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazumichan View Post
Yea, all the speakers are going to have to be in ceiling.
That kind of kills an atmos set up but I would think a 5.1.2 setup would be better than 7.1 but Ideally the speakers at head level is the way to go if you can make it happen. You won't have surround and atmos separation but at least you will have sound and probably more ceiling action than rears. Where is the sub going?

As far as in wall I don't know about mica but I know you usually get what you pay for, I would look at Klipsch or Polk for the best in ceiling value, the price if the mica's are almost too low, how long can they really hold up? I am a Denon fan and prices are everywhere right now, you could get into higher models sometimes cheaper just shop fry's and compare on Amazon, crazy Denon deals lately.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dohring View Post
That kind of kills an atmos set up but I would think a 5.1.2 setup would be better than 7.1 but Ideally the speakers at head level is the way to go if you can make it happen. You won't have surround and atmos separation but at least you will have sound and probably more ceiling action than rears. Where is the sub going?

As far as in wall I don't know about mica but I know you usually get what you pay for, I would look at Klipsch or Polk for the best in ceiling value, the price if the mica's are almost too low, how long can they really hold up? I am a Denon fan and prices are everywhere right now, you could get into higher models sometimes cheaper just shop fry's and compare on Amazon, crazy Denon deals lately.
Since I don't have a wall down the right side of the room, I don't think I am too worried about an atmos setup. Isn't a 5.1.2 an atmos setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page