Projector vs TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got a couple new issues to sort out.

The first is signal dropping to the projector when it is connected to HDMI1 and attempts a 4k resolution. I created this thread describing the problem. My guess is the projector doesn't like my 5th gen i5 processor and integrated video.

My other issue is that I ordered another adjustable projector mount that will go to a 4' drop so my image won't be so high, but then I realized my speakers are quite tall and would end up in the screen space.

The options I can think of include:

1. Keep the image high, above the speakers
2. Shrink the screen size to fit between speakers
3. Move speakers outside of the theater wall space
4. Buy shorter speakers

With acoustics, room aesthetics, and display options in mind, how would you solve this problem?

For perspective, the distance from the top of the image shown above to the ceiling is the distance I was planning to have from floor to bottom of the image; so basically flip the current positioning when I mount to the ceiling. That would put the image 2' from the floor, but my speakers are 3'6" tall.

Also, where should I locate that sub based on the previous room photos I've posted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5231.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2592252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5230.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2592254  

Projector: Benq TK800 - AVR: Yamaha RX-A2080 - Front Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70 - Center: Polk Audio CS2: Surround: Polk Audio Monitor 30 - Atmos: 4x JBL SP8CII (not yet installed) - Sub: JBL SUB 550P - Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Using a new laptop I bought for my sister, I confirmed 4k is displaying correctly on my projector, so I don't believe there's any defect there. Just need a video card new enough to support it I guess. BluePlanet II on Netflix 4k looked incredibly good, even on my green textured wall. I'm getting excited to have everything finished, but I've got a ways to go and little time.

I'm now considering keeping my HTPC out of the setup and just using it for transcoding Plex for remote viewing. That means I'd use something like a 4k Firestick or Shield to present the media to the projector.

Still don't know what to do about speaker placement and screen positioning. Some sort of compromise seems to be necessary. The bass is also much weaker where I have it located then when I had it upstairs near a corner. I'll have to play around with positioning that.

Too much sound travels up the stairs, so I'll have to get something to attenuate the reflections there, or figure out how to install a door.

Projector: Benq TK800 - AVR: Yamaha RX-A2080 - Front Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70 - Center: Polk Audio CS2: Surround: Polk Audio Monitor 30 - Atmos: 4x JBL SP8CII (not yet installed) - Sub: JBL SUB 550P - Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-26-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #33 of 37 Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Speakers behind non-acoustically transparent screen?

My theater is slowly coming along. Next I need to figure out what to do for a screen.

The photos show the screen at optimal viewing height. As you can see, I either need to place the speakers behind a screen, or move the projector up. With a 16:9 image, I'd need to move the projector up 2 feet. A widescreen move only needs to be moved about 1.5 feet up.

I have 133" between those sidewalls, so most 150" screens don't fit. Silver Ticket makes a thin bezel that just fits at 132", but they don't have it in acoustically transparent material. They have a regular screen for $700.

Can a regular screen pass through enough sound, or do you really need acoustically transparent if the speakers go behind it?

Should I hold out for an acoustically transparent thin bezel for $800, get a regular screen for $700 and accept the sound loss, or move the projector up about 2 feet so the image is just above the speakers (and paint the wall).

Trying to get this done before the Super Bowl.

In other news, I replaced my HTPC with an Nvidia Shield TV Pro and replaced my receiver with a Yamaha RX-A2080 and that resolved all my 4k and display issues. With great difficulty, I also ran speaker wire to what I think is the hardest corner of the room by routing it through floor joists and popping recessed lights. Hopefully other speaker runs go easier.

Regarding the subwoofer, can I place that in the "boiler room" behind a closed door? It's physically closer to the MLP than the location you see in the photo, but I don't know how that will affect things. I suppose I should try it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0271.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	2668738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	2668740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	2668742  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 01-12-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 265
@redpoint5
Regular screens are not the same as AT screens, sound will not go through them properly.
Why not build a frame a buy AT fabric or spandex, which is AT?
Silver Ticket has AT screens, but not sure if it's sold in fabric form:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...screen-61.html

Make a new thread here or check out the threads here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/
Or the DIY sub section:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
redpoint5 likes this.
post #35 of 37 Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
@redpoint5
Regular screens are not the same as AT screens, sound will not go through them properly.
Why not build a frame a buy AT fabric or spandex, which is AT?
Silver Ticket has AT screens, but not sure if it's sold in fabric form:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...screen-61.html

Make a new thread here or check out the threads here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/
Or the DIY sub section:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
I might build a screen, but I've got no free weekends until Super Bowl...

Would it be unsightly to mount the screen to the front of the sidewalls? The 150" Silver Ticket AT screen is about 2" too wide on each side to fit between.

Heck, with this little time left, I might just hang a white sheet to get through the Super Bowl, and then do it properly when I have time.

I'll probably post my questions in a new thread specific to screens. I need to read up on the subject. Seems I'll be needing to spend about $250 to build my own screen?

post #36 of 37 Old 01-13-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Just my 2 cents worth, but I see one good reason (think small curious and in a diaper) for a painted wall being used as a screen if the wall is smooth of course.

Using the current wall, pull out the two towers to the sides out of the way, angle the center up slightly towards the listener and do the AVR's auto setup to see if it sounds okay. Next consider adding another sub or two around the room. I've been using my wall as a screen since 2013 and using 4 subs to smooth out the bass around the room.

Also and most importantly, secure the towers to the wall. I did even though there are no little ones around my house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02266a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2669486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02420a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2669488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02366a.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	2669490  
redpoint5 likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #37 of 37 Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I might build a screen, but I've got no free weekends until Super Bowl...

Would it be unsightly to mount the screen to the front of the sidewalls? The 150" Silver Ticket AT screen is about 2" too wide on each side to fit between.

Heck, with this little time left, I might just hang a white sheet to get through the Super Bowl, and then do it properly when I have time.

I'll probably post my questions in a new thread specific to screens. I need to read up on the subject. Seems I'll be needing to spend about $250 to build my own screen?
It's more up to you if you want to mount the screen in front of the sidewalls.

A screen with spandex would be cheaper to repair since spandex is not that expensive. I wouldn't rush it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page