• 1 Post By noob00224
  • 1 Post By noob00224

post #1 of 30 Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Projector vs TV

Hi all, I'm new to thinking about home theater configurations, but now that I'll be moving to a new home, I'd like to get feedback from experienced folks. In the past, I'd simply purchase components if they were generally well regarded and there was a huge discount (SlickDeals). I'd still like to maximize my bang for the buck, but don't quite have a set budget in mind, but probably not more than about $2k at least initially.

Here's the daylight basement of the new house (I haven't moved in yet):

After seeing a 120" motorized projector screen on clearance at Fry's for $70, it occurred to me that the space has a huge wall and lots of seating potential so that a projector might make more sense than say an 85" LCD TV. The wife wouldn't like any part of the room painted black, so I'm not even going to ask about that, but I could probably put blackout shades over the sliding glass. Acoustic treatments are going to be a hard sell as well, though I'll try.

Anyhow, I primarily intend to watch movies and TV shows including Netflix content. Perhaps sometime in the future I would game, but don't have current plans. Given that I can't paint the room black and might game, would it be reasonable to go with an 85" TV, or does that space really beg to have a projector?

I've also got a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 speakers and CS2 center

I don't know how I'll wire surrounds... perhaps the ceiling fan can facilitate wiring in a projector?

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I don't think there are any 85 inch tv's on the market now for $2k or less. You can get an Epson 5040 right now for $1500ish and with the screen you'll be under your initial budget.

Or step down your projector much further like a used Epson HC3000. example https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...on-hc3000.html

You'll need around $400 at least for an AVR. example https://www.avsforum.com/avr-deal-on...-receiver-386/

$1000 for a nice subwoofer (you'll need to get a second down the road). example http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FVX15.html
redpoint5 likes this.

Last edited by Liquid$team; 05-29-2019 at 09:24 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback LiquidSteam.

The 86" LG 86UK6570 has been on sale for $2,000 several times recently, which is what got me thinking about the TV vs projector question. The LG HU80KA Laser projector has been the same price too. Then there is the Ben Q 3550 I've heard good things about for $1500.

I suppose the right way to go about this is to figure out how many people I want to accommodate and how they will be arranged in the room. Then based on viewing angle, ambient light, and distance, determine the right video technology.

I've got a cheap 9 year old Yamaha RX-V367 receiver to get me by for now, but a new AVR is on my radar as well as sub(s).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-30-2019, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You could go so much bigger than a tv, just fill that wall up with nice screen. Keep your speakers obviously, look on the used market as your budget is tough for subs, receiver and projector and screen. That room size I would do dolby atmos 4 in the ceiling if possible with the second floor when budget allows, so a 5.1.4 capable receiver. even 2 subs one day. I think the receiver is the plan ahead item with your speaker location thought out. You could get a Bic america 12: sub if nothing used and a spandex screen or even paint for a while and figure out a used 4k projector. A deep flat burgandy, navy blue or grey would be a nice paint choice.
redpoint5 likes this.

Denon AVR-X6500h Klipsch RP-8000f RP-440C (4) RP-150MS sides in parallel RB-51 rears, 4 JBL C67P pendants for atmos, 2 monolith 12" subs
Epson 5040UB, Sony Ubp-X700, AC infintiy T9, Nvidia Shield, 142" 2.35 silver ticket screen
post #5 of 30 Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Home theater with projection is a bit of a hobby.. there is a bit more to learn and more compromises to make than hanging a TV with a sound system.
I would say to put your current TV (on a stand) where you would put your projection screen, set up the audio you have and keep on reading and researching to get a better idea of what you need/want and can afford.
If you have not moved in, I would think you have lots of other stuff that will need to be done prior to starting on a theater project. I wish I had a house as big as that basement :-) You will end up with something very functional with a little time, knowledge and patients.. Good luck with your new home!
redpoint5 likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #6 of 30 Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
As you are asking for advice all any of us can do is tell you what I would do given your room and budget. Some of this goes against conventional wisdom and what I would normally advise.

Assuming you want to use the wall where the TV is shown and want seating similar to the curved couch shown.

The door needs BOC curtains to totally block out that light they could be hung behind another curtain for when the room wants to look like it doesn’t have BOC curtains.

Forget a screen and paint that entire section of wall with a DIY neutral gray screen paint. It can be done with a $20 gallon of latex wall paint and all the information you need can be found in the DIY screen forum.

Get a low equipment rack for the front wall to hold your TV/Cable/Satellite/BD player/Game/Streaming/etc along with an AVR and maybe an amp for a future sub. Put your RL speakers on each side and your center maybe elevated a little in the middle.

Then get a shorter throw projector. I would get an RGBRGB 1080p dark chip 3 DLP. They should run between $500-$700. mount it on a small low cart shooting up and have the power and HDMI cords zip tied / taped together so you just have one thing to deal with from the screen wall to the projector cart. When not in use push the cart up to the wall for safe keeping. If you want to play music no need to move the cart out.

Having the projector on the cart should take less than 5 minutes to set up this way for movies and being on a movable cart you can have the benefit of moving the cart closer or farther as a way of zooming the image. closer will be brighter and better for TV as you want TV brighter and smaller and may have some dim lights going in the room. The gray screen will also help with that. For big movie nights with scope movies or IMAXed movies you pull the cart back about 2-3 feet and turn all lights off and have a truly theater experience even a mini-IMAX experience.

I would look at throw distances and lumens and screen grayness that would allow for that whole wall to be a screen all except the RL speakers.

Not much money, not to disruptive to the house and a good way to enter the hobby of front projection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen wall.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	2573398  
redpoint5 likes this.

Bud
post #7 of 30 Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the suggestions, and bud for getting very detailed.

I'm closing on the house tomorrow, and I know it will be a little while before I can spend time on this project, but my MO is always to hit the forums well in advance of a project just to let the ideas simmer and start looking for deals on equipment. My $2k imposed budget is just a starting point for the video portion of the build. It's more of a wife acceptance factor. Down the road I can start adding/replacing other equipment.

Currently I've got a 60" plasma but all the digital inputs died on it. All my inputs go the receiver now, and the receiver is connected via component to the TV. I've got optical out from TV to the receiver as well.

I run a Win 10 HTPC on a mini PC similar to a NUC. No plans to add anything else as I don't own a Bluray player (I do have a PS3 though).

Question about audio though- would in ceiling speakers be preferable to side speakers? If I understand the terminology correctly now, that would be a 5.1.4 setup (2 front, 1 center, 4 in ceiling, and 2 rear, and 1 sub. A 7.1 would be 2 front, 1 center, 2 side, 2 rear, and 1 sub? This is getting pretty far down the road as I'll probably start with 5.1 to begin with.

Here's what the rear of the room looks like:

... and this laser projector is on sale again for $2k with promo code DAD

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/...72009a0a24060f

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-30-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-31-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 90
One thing to consider is when you'll watch tv/movies. If it's a lot of daytime viewing then setting up blackout curtains (even just closing them) can become a hindrance. This is especially true if it's not you watching. The brightness of a tv gains a lot of convenience. That said you'll never beat size of a projector. So its a size vs quality and convenience debate.

The cart idea, while interesting, would just add an additional layer of hassle. And in reality you'll leave it out because of that. If you go projector, mount it. Short throw projectors can be mounted above or below the screen.
redpoint5 likes this.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #9 of 30 Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Also consider that 1080p tv from cable does not look good on a TV that big. I recently found this harsh reality to be true after installing a 75 inch tv. I watch alot of sports which looked fairly awful. 4k movies and 1080 blurays look great... but if I was hanging a tv to watch mostly cable I wouldn't go past 65 inch.
redpoint5 likes this.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #10 of 30 Old 05-31-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Zero plans to pay for TV. I find OTA TV to be pretty good quality, though I've never seen it on anything larger than a 60" plasma. We're probably a couple years away from 4k OTA yet, if I recall correctly. I will mostly be watching Netflix/Amazon/Youtube TV content with occasional broadcast TV, as well as media on Plex. Contemplating hooking up my PS3 to play Bluray when a particularly compelling title comes out and I want to see it in full glory. Currently don't own any physical media.

I'm going to take the advice to setup what I have now (60" plasma and 5.0 speakers) to get a sense of what will give the best bang for the buck. The projector against a painted wall idea appeals to me, as well as a 5.1.4 Atmos, though I've never heard such a system so don't know what I'm missing. First things first though, I'll need furniture of the reclining sort.

Closed on the house today, so it's looking like Sunday I'll get to recon the place, take some measurements, and snap some better photos.
post #11 of 30 Old 06-03-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I measured the inset wall at 11 feet wide and 12 feet tall. Thinking 150" projected image on a painted wall to start.

First things first, I'll need seating. My thought is 1 nice couch in the center, with 2 basic couches on the side. I can convert to stadium seating with cinder blocks and boards as needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	2575364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5155.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	801.2 KB
ID:	2575366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5154.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	721.4 KB
ID:	2575368  

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-03-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-04-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Curious, but just how high are those ceilings?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #13 of 30 Old 06-05-2019, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I was in the same boat as you...big TV or projector. I decided on projector, u went with a been 2150st because low input lag for gaming and put the rest if my tv Budget towards audio. For the price of the benq I bought, I'm blown away any way me satisfied than I imagined every time I turn it on.

Here are some test pics on my uncalibrated benq just on drywall (unpainted) 120"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
redpoint5 likes this.
post #14 of 30 Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Curious, but just how high are those ceilings?
12 feet. I just did the math, and I should be able to fit nearly a 150" image on that wall. At this point I'm convinced a projector needs to go there, as even an 85" TV will seem small in comparison.

I'm wondering how to run the speaker wires in the ceiling considering the main level is right above. I have a feeling I'm going to become a drywall repair expert. No crawl space either, as that space sits on the slab foundation.
brazensol likes this.

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #15 of 30 Old 06-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
If u have base molding around your room pop it off and you can open up low and run your wires low, put back the rock best you can as the molding will hide it. Wherever you will have a speaker make a small holes and drop a electrical snake down in the wall by the lower sheetrock you removed and pull your wire up and out. That's how I did my living room but the rear speakers you may want to consider in ceiling

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
redpoint5 and brazensol like this.
post #16 of 30 Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
12 feet. I just did the math, and I should be able to fit nearly a 150" image on that wall. At this point I'm convinced a projector needs to go there, as even an 85" TV will seem small in comparison.

I'm wondering how to run the speaker wires in the ceiling considering the main level is right above. I have a feeling I'm going to become a drywall repair expert. No crawl space either, as that space sits on the slab foundation.
Drywall is pretty easy to work with and quite forgiving. Just dusty. Really, really dusty. If you are going for a level 4 or 5 finish then it is not so easy. But textured is not hard at all.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #17 of 30 Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

From what I'm reading, I want to mud the wall to remove the texture and make it as smooth as possible.

...pretty sure I want to get the BenQ HT3550 but it will probably be a couple months before I get to that point since I'm still moving in and working on other things. I know it's a new model, but I wonder if it might go on sale in the next 6 months.

post #18 of 30 Old 06-07-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Also consider that 1080p tv from cable does not look good on a TV that big. I recently found this harsh reality to be true after installing a 75 inch tv. I watch alot of sports which looked fairly awful. 4k movies and 1080 blurays look great... but if I was hanging a tv to watch mostly cable I wouldn't go past 65 inch.
Not necessarily. Depends on your TV source. Some Cable companies use compression worse or better than others. When I had DirecTV and Dish Network, I watched Sporting on my PJ screen much bigger than 75". If TV watching doesn't look good on a 75" for you, you must have a poor Cable Company. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant of a bad picture

Tony
post #19 of 30 Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Not necessarily. Depends on your TV source. Some Cable companies use compression worse or better than others. When I had DirecTV and Dish Network, I watched Sporting on my PJ screen much bigger than 75". If TV watching doesn't look good on a 75" for you, you must have a poor Cable Company. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant of a bad picture
Im sure i do have a poor cable company. Xfinity blows lol

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #20 of 30 Old 06-11-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still moving in and don't have anything installed in the basement shown in the photos above. Instead I've got everything I own (minus 2 surround speakers) hooked up on the main level since that's where we're spending all of our time right now. I know people will say that I should spend more on a sub, but I picked up a JBL SUB 550P for $170 since it was on sale. If that's inadequate, I figure I can purchase another one later on down the road, or simply upgrade.

This main living area is directly above where I'll have the theater room. My current plan is to move the 60" plasma shown here above the fireplace in the other living room on the main level.

On the wall shown in the photo below I'll hang an 85" TV... I haven't decided if I'll go with a soundbar, nothing, or a couple stereo speakers.

My speakers will go in the basement, and I'll get a projector to display a 150" image against the wall. Eventually I'd like to install ATMOS speakers in the ceiling, but that's probably the last thing I'll do.

So, I'm waiting for a deal on an 85" TV and projector in the meantime. It might be awhile before I get to this project since there's a lot of other more important moving related things to do... and that is my ghetto coat hanger TV antenna. All but 1 station is coming in smoothly. I might throw a better antenna up in the attic. To the right of the receiver is my HTPC, which also has a USB ATSC tuner for use with Plex.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5172.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2578856  

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-11-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #21 of 30 Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Whelp, the BenQ TK800 refurb was shown on Slickdeals for $630 (as well as the HT2550), so I bought it to tide me over. I don't see the HT3550 dropping in price any time soon. Initially I wanted to go with the HT2550 for better color accuracy, but I'm no videophile, and I also expect to watch things like the Super Bowl in a non-light controlled room. That, and I'd like to watch some 3D movies, so I figured the extra brightness would be appreciated more than the extra color accuracy.

So, I'm getting a projector much sooner than I figured, which means I'll be starting my HT project sooner than I figured. I'll start by projecting on my light green wall and see if I should go with white paint, or some neutral shade of gray.

post #22 of 30 Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

It just occurred to me that the boiler room (water heater and furnace room) could probably house all of my equipment, so I checked it out. Turns out the ceiling in that room exposes the ceiling joists, so I have extremely easy access to the ceiling in the living room. This should make installation pretty darn easy. My plan is to put my receiver, HTPC, BluRay player (Playstation 3 for now), and any other gear in the boiler room out of sight. That means my receiver will need to run off RF somehow, or run fiber optic somewhere (projector perhaps?) so the IR remote will work.

The quality seems very good to me projected against my light green wall, with factory settings, and with lossy versions of a few movies I streamed from a laptop. I'll need to replace the flimsy curtains over the slider door which lets a ton of light in, but once that's controlled, I'm not sure I'll need to do much more to control light. Perhaps place something dark on the ceiling and the 2 edge walls that the image is projected against, but I didn't find the amount of reflected light to be bothersome... then again it's projected against a green wall, so it would probably be more bothersome if the image was projected against a white wall.

Of course, the color temperature looked cool to me, probably because the green wall was shifting the color.

Next steps (correct me if I'm wrong) is:

* Get blackout curtains for sliding door
1. Determine seating arrangement and gather furniture
2. Determine ceiling mounting position and purchase ceiling mount
3. Purchase HDMI cable
4. Install an outlet and mount in the ceiling (perhaps I can steal power from the ceiling fan?)
5. Determine ideal 5.1 speaker locations and run speaker cable (spool of 14 awg)
6. Experiment with treating walls/ceiling with black curtains
7. Last, design 4 ceiling speaker Atmos and upgrade my AVR

In the attached RoomScan, the right side of the photo is the 11' wall the projected image will be on. Top side is the doorway to the boiler room and the bar. Bottom side is where the slider door is.

Finally- My original question was TV vs projector, and even if not a single thing improved about my setup, I'd take projector over an 85" TV all day, every day. Filling that wall with an image is a thing of glory, even if it doesn't have the full color palette or the finest resolution, etc. Best $630 I've spent this year by far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	58292674743__63BDEE11-D9B4-4AC0-A24F-A0A0EEBAB647.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	2584354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5200.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2584356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5196.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2584358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5194.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2584360   Click image for larger version

Name:	58293307499__79F6292D-539C-46E0-B822-3D651EB8D670.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2584362  

Name:	Attachment-1.png
Views:	18
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2584364  

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-25-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #23 of 30 Old 06-26-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
It just occurred to me that the boiler room (water heater and furnace room) could probably house all of my equipment, so I checked it out. Turns out the ceiling in that room exposes the ceiling joists, so I have extremely easy access to the ceiling in the living room. This should make installation pretty darn easy. My plan is to put my receiver, HTPC, BluRay player (Playstation 3 for now), and any other gear in the boiler room out of sight. That means my receiver will need to run off RF somehow, or run fiber optic somewhere (projector perhaps?) so the IR remote will work.

The quality seems very good to me projected against my light green wall, with factory settings, and with lossy versions of a few movies I streamed from a laptop. I'll need to replace the flimsy curtains over the slider door which lets a ton of light in, but once that's controlled, I'm not sure I'll need to do much more to control light. Perhaps place something dark on the ceiling and the 2 edge walls that the image is projected against, but I didn't find the amount of reflected light to be bothersome... then again it's projected against a green wall, so it would probably be more bothersome if the image was projected against a white wall.

Of course, the color temperature looked cool to me, probably because the green wall was shifting the color.

3. Purchase HDMI cable
4. Install an outlet and mount in the ceiling (perhaps I can steal power from the ceiling fan?)
5. Determine ideal 5.1 speaker locations and run speaker cable (spool of 14 awg)

In the attached RoomScan, the right side of the photo is the 11' wall the projected image will be on. Top side is the doorway to the boiler room and the bar. Bottom side is where the slider door is.

Finally- My original question was TV vs projector, and even if not a single thing improved about my setup, I'd take projector over an 85" TV all day, every day. Filling that wall with an image is a thing of glory, even if it doesn't have the full color palette or the finest resolution, etc. Best $630 I've spent this year by far.
If your going to run speaker wire in wall and in ceiling I'd plan out your atmos setup before running cable. Unless you mean your just running the 5.1 setup to get you buy and running the wire outside the walls along the floor or something. Sorry if I misunderstood!
post #24 of 30 Old 06-26-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
If your going to run speaker wire in wall and in ceiling I'd plan out your atmos setup before running cable. Unless you mean your just running the 5.1 setup to get you buy and running the wire outside the walls along the floor or something. Sorry if I misunderstood!
Thanks for the reply!

To begin with, I'm going to run the wires outside the walls until I figure out optimal speaker placement, then will probably go along the wall edging to permanently connect them, although I know next to nothing about speaker placement right now. I think the surrounds will need to be wall mounted to keep things kid friendly. It would be easy to run the wire inside the wall for the speaker on the boiler room side, but not so much from the other side unless I'm able to run over the ceiling and fish down the wall.

post #25 of 30 Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I bought an adjustable ceiling mount for the projector and a 25' power and HDMI cable. I figured since the mount adjusts, I didn't need to do math, but now I'm thinking it probably doesn't drop enough. It's a 12' ceiling, and the projector is 18' from the wall (midway in the zoom range). I'm projecting a 150" image, which is nearly 6' tall. To center the image I would have 3 feet of wall above the screen, and 3 feet of wall below. With a 2' drop on the mount and 10" drop from the lens, I'm not quite low enough. Maybe I want a 3' drop from the 12' ceiling?

I'm not even sure I should center the image. It seems to me the lower I can project the screen, the more natural the view. Maybe I want 4' of blank wall at the top and only 2' at the bottom? What do you think?

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-01-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

3. Purchase HDMI cable

Black levels and contrast are affected by light from windows/lights/walls (reflections). To counter this, light needs to be eliminated.
The window and light fixtures can be resolved more easily, but for wall reflections dark paint or fabric would need to be used. The region where this can have the most effect is about 6-8 feet from the screen (walls and ceiling).

From the pictures you already have an enclosure for the screen. Even that small wall section (of about 1 foot?) would be very beneficial if treated with some sort of paint/fabric.

Also for bright colored walls and or lights on viewing a grey or alr screen would be beneficial:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ey-screen.html

Quote:
I bought an adjustable ceiling mount for the projector and a 25' power and HDMI cable. I figured since the mount adjusts, I didn't need to do math, but now I'm thinking it probably doesn't drop enough. It's a 12' ceiling, and the projector is 18' from the wall (midway in the zoom range). I'm projecting a 150" image, which is nearly 6' tall. To center the image I would have 3 feet of wall above the screen, and 3 feet of wall below. With a 2' drop on the mount and 10" drop from the lens, I'm not quite low enough. Maybe I want a 3' drop from the 12' ceiling?

I'm not even sure I should center the image. It seems to me the lower I can project the screen, the more natural the view. Maybe I want 4' of blank wall at the top and only 2' at the bottom? What do you think?
When positioning the screen, eye level needs to be 1/3rd from the bottom of the screen. 150" screen height is 73.5"/186.8cm.
http://screen-size.info/

To avoid having to use keystone the projector needs to be level to the floor and perpendicular to the screen.
Keystone is software and should be avoided.

The offset specification is used to calculate the height the projector (center of the lens) needs to be from the visible top of the screen.
This model has 110%±2.5% offset. https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/projector/...fications.html
Which means the center of the lens needs to be 10% (±2.5%) (of the height of the screen) from the visible top of the screen (ceiling mount).
For 150" screen that would be 7.35 inches/18.68cm (±2.5%).

The closer a projector is the brighter and less sharp it will be, opposite for the farthest.
redpoint5 likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 07-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Black levels and contrast are affected by light from windows/lights/walls (reflections). To counter this, light needs to be eliminated.
The window and light fixtures can be resolved more easily, but for wall reflections dark paint or fabric would need to be used. The region where this can have the most effect is about 6-8 feet from the screen (walls and ceiling).

From the pictures you already have an enclosure for the screen. Even that small wall section (of about 1 foot?) would be very beneficial if treated with some sort of paint/fabric.

When positioning the screen, eye level needs to be 1/3rd from the bottom of the screen. 150" screen height is 73.5"/186.8cm.
http://screen-size.info/

To avoid having to use keystone the projector needs to be level to the floor and perpendicular to the screen.
Keystone is software and should be avoided.

The offset specification is used to calculate the height the projector (center of the lens) needs to be from the visible top of the screen.
This model has 110%±2.5% offset. https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/projector/...fications.html
Which means the center of the lens needs to be 10% (±2.5%) (of the height of the screen) from the visible top of the screen (ceiling mount).
For 150" screen that would be 7.35 inches/18.68cm (±2.5%).

The closer a projector is the brighter and less sharp it will be, opposite for the farthest.
I'm planning to get black curtains for the side walls and ceiling.

Concerning projector placement, it seems even if I project the screen at the very bottom of the wall, it would fail the 1/3rd rule. Eye level sitting in a couch is about 50", but as you say, the image is only 74" tall. That means eye level is already at 2/3rd projecting as low as possible. In other words, I need to project as low on the wall as possible and it still won't be ideal. I'd need more like a 5' ceiling mount to get the projector low enough that no keystone is necessary. I imagine anyone walking above would cause image shake with a mount that long...

I don't think I want the image going all the way to the floor though, so more compromise is needed. Maybe a 4' mount, which would project somewhere around 18" from the floor.

I think I'll use a ladder to play with various ceiling mount heights to see if I can strike the best compromise. It seems clear my 2' drop is far to short.

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-05-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
@redpoint5 , the best thing I did for viewing movies was darkening the room. IT makes a big difference for sure.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I'm planning to get black curtains for the side walls and ceiling.

Concerning projector placement, it seems even if I project the screen at the very bottom of the wall, it would fail the 1/3rd rule. Eye level sitting in a couch is about 50", but as you say, the image is only 74" tall. That means eye level is already at 2/3rd projecting as low as possible. In other words, I need to project as low on the wall as possible and it still won't be ideal. I'd need more like a 5' ceiling mount to get the projector low enough that no keystone is necessary. I imagine anyone walking above would cause image shake with a mount that long...

I don't think I want the image going all the way to the floor though, so more compromise is needed. Maybe a 4' mount, which would project somewhere around 18" from the floor.

I think I'll use a ladder to play with various ceiling mount heights to see if I can strike the best compromise. It seems clear my 2' drop is far to short.
Eye level needs to be at 1/3d the height of the screen, measured from the bottom of the screen. Which means 73.5"/3 is 24 inches.
If seating height is 50", the visible part of the screen should start at 26" from the ground.
https://www.google.com/search?q=proj...YnONF3hGqdd-M:

This is just the general recommendation, it's your personal preference which you should ultimately go with.
redpoint5 likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 07-05-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I understand now. Looks like I want more like a 3' mount then. I'll try to play with a ladder this afternoon to confirm my rough estimation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page