Help With a challenging basement layout - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help With a challenging basement layout

Hi All,

I've been following AVS forum for ages, but just decided to register for this conundrum I'm running into.

We are moving into a new house and I'll have a basement for the first time. YAY! Because of this, I'm looking to make the basement my home theater room. Before now, I've just had a living room setup and I have an LG OLED that I love.

This is where the problems come in. The basement where I'm moving to has a a partially finished basement that I will likely redo over time. However, the layout presents some challenges. Primarily that point that a OLED would go is dominated by a fireplace (picture included). To the right wall of the fireplace is 2 doors that should not be obstructed (furnace and cedar closet). And to the left is a wall that even if bumped back 3-4 feet has issues with columns. I included a diagram (picture included) to show the overall layout. The area on the layout map to the right is unfinished and has the laundry area, hot water heater, etc (picture included). It appears that the former owners had the wall bumped back a few feet, but I don't think this helps me much (picture of previous layout included)

My current though is to purchase and motorized projector screen that drops down in front of the fireplace. The length of this room allows for an easy projector setup and basically solves every issue. However, if any of you have ideas I'm really open to it. I'd love to just keep my OLED for now, but I see no real wall that I can build off of, or even a real design changes that allows for such a setup. Is a motorized screen above a fireplace like this problematic?

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.47.14 AM.png
Views:	51
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2580712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.50.51 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	626.7 KB
ID:	2580716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	991.5 KB
ID:	2580718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 2.28.46 PM.png
Views:	50
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2580720  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Would something like this help? https://mantelmount.ca/

I see dead pixels.......
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

It might. Thank you. I’m a bit worried the space above the fireplace wouldn’t fit my tv however. Do you think a motorized projector would be a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Would it be possible to remove the mantle and remove a few courses of stone? Then you could do the mantel mount.

Another option might be to wall of the fireplace and simply host an acoustically transparent screen and screen wall. I don't know if a dedicated room
is something you want, but I can see a lot of potential options.

A good plan will work around the obstacles and turn them into features. You could effectively hide the doors, yet keep accessibility with a dedicated
room, where inexpensive speaker grill fabric walls could hide things like what looks to be access portals and the doors, and even the support posts could
be worked into a design. If you can add some more details such as measurements and height, and all obstacles to your floor plan, I could whip up some
floor plan ideas.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Are these load bearing walls? If not, why not change the layout a bit?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.50.51 AM.png
Views:	21
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	2581024  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 824
I expect the load bearing walls are south to north, with those two columns supporting a header above. And I also expect there's a header above the pair of doors.

I also don't think we're seeing the entire basement as there appears to be light shining under the filled in door, in the last picture where the shelves
run over what I suspect was a door opening. Much of what would make sense, is about traffic flow and uses of the space outside the family room or theater.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Looks like a great layout for building a false wall in front of the fireplace and getting a screen and projector. You could go with the pull down TV mount, but that can turn into an awfully expensive approach depending on which model you chose. I'd start with a 100" motorized screen from Silver Ticket for the same price as a TV mount. Leave the TV upstairs and get the screen!

I had a similar dilemma in my previous house, minus the fireplace. Lally poles and support beams in the wall, and a laundry / storage area on the other side. I also thought about pushing out into the laundry, but there were too many HVAC / pipes in the ceiling to make it a reasonable project. You can't really push out into the laundry / water heater area because that creates new column issues. Plus, then you'd have the HVAC in your theater as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whychwood2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	910.0 KB
ID:	2581056   Click image for larger version

Name:	WychwoodTheater.png
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2581058   Click image for larger version

Name:	wychwood3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	2581060  

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Would it be possible to remove the mantle and remove a few courses of stone? Then you could do the mantel mount.

Another option might be to wall of the fireplace and simply host an acoustically transparent screen and screen wall. I don't know if a dedicated room
is something you want, but I can see a lot of potential options.

A good plan will work around the obstacles and turn them into features. You could effectively hide the doors, yet keep accessibility with a dedicated
room, where inexpensive speaker grill fabric walls could hide things like what looks to be access portals and the doors, and even the support posts could
be worked into a design. If you can add some more details such as measurements and height, and all obstacles to your floor plan, I could whip up some
floor plan ideas.
This would be awesome help. Unfortunately I'm not in the house until mid-July. I was able to take some basic measurements last time I was there, but had big picture house stuff on my mind and didn't do detailed measurements of the basement with a home theater in mind entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htnoobnc View Post
Are these load bearing walls? If not, why not change the layout a bit?
No, but there are columns there. Additionally, the other side has the laundry and hot water heater. It COULD be moved, but it would increase the expense significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I expect the load bearing walls are south to north, with those two columns supporting a header above. And I also expect there's a header above the pair of doors.

I also don't think we're seeing the entire basement as there appears to be light shining under the filled in door, in the last picture where the shelves
run over what I suspect was a door opening. Much of what would make sense, is about traffic flow and uses of the space outside the family room or theater.
You're correct about what are likely the load bearing walls.

The light shining under the filled in door would be where the laundry room is in the third picture. They just moved it in more. The doors to the right (that I'm worried about blocking) are to the furnace room and a cedar coat closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Looks like a great layout for building a false wall in front of the fireplace and getting a screen and projector. You could go with the pull down TV mount, but that can turn into an awfully expensive approach depending on which model you chose. I'd start with a 100" motorized screen from Silver Ticket for the same price as a TV mount. Leave the TV upstairs and get the screen!

I had a similar dilemma in my previous house, minus the fireplace. Lally poles and support beams in the wall, and a laundry / storage area on the other side. I also thought about pushing out into the laundry, but there were too many HVAC / pipes in the ceiling to make it a reasonable project. You can't really push out into the laundry / water heater area because that creates new column issues. Plus, then you'd have the HVAC in your theater as well.
I think a false wall could work. It's a tension because my wife really like fireplaces, so I think she'd be unhappy about hiding the fireplace entirely.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. As you can see in the third pic, pushing the wall out would gain me some space, but it would still have 2 columns (4th pic) and I'd have to soffit the HVAC/pipes. You're dead on about pushing out. Unless I wanted to go all out and move the hot water heater and laundry to the northeast corner, then I don't think it's an option.

Some of it comes down to cost as well. I'm fine putting SOME money over time to upgrade this thing, but it seems a shame to gut something like this when the other solutions present major expenses for not much benefit.

I did just get a guy to sell me a Vutec 110 motorized screen for next to nothing. I'm really considering it now, if not I have a friend who said he'd take the screen if I back out and try to make the OLED work.

Lastly, just in case it helps, this are a few more pics of the other areas of the basement (I don't think there's much to work with really). The top right corner of the layout map I don't want to finish for a home theater as it would be small and it's right next to the water and piping that I would need for a bathroom install down there that I plan to do at some point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.32.56 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2581134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.32.44 PM.png
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2581136  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterSample View Post
I think a false wall could work. It's a tension because my wife really like fireplaces, so I think she'd be unhappy about hiding the fireplace entirely.
I have a wife who likes fireplaces. Get the pull down screen. Everybody wins. You can save money if you don't get a motorized one (and you're tall enough to easily pull it down.)

Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I have a wife who likes fireplaces. Get the pull down screen. Everybody wins. You can save money if you don't get a motorized one (and you're tall enough to easily pull it down.)
I still have a few weeks before I move in, but I made some decisions and we'll see how it goes. I got a guy on craigslist that sold me a motorized Vutex 110' screen for $150, barely used.

I then just grabbed the BenQ TK800 off the refurb deal they just had for $625. I know it's not the best projector, but I feel like that's a good deal for a setup I can try out for awhile.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterSample View Post
I still have a few weeks before I move in, but I made some decisions and we'll see how it goes. I got a guy on craigslist that sold me a motorized Vutex 110' screen for $150, barely used.

I then just grabbed the BenQ TK800 off the refurb deal they just had for $625. I know it's not the best projector, but I feel like that's a good deal for a setup I can try out for awhile.
It may not be "the best" projector, but it is an excellent projector -- especially for the price -- and more than good enough for most people.

What you're getting for $850 is an outstanding set up to enjoy on Move In Day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page