• 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5.1.2 Media Room design

Hi,

I have unfinished basement and i am designing my media room with 5.1.2 audio (Dolby ATMOS).

The length of basement is 50 Feet, with 18Ft long x 15 Ft wide dedicated to media room Please see diagram for visuals. I am struggling with placement of speakers. Basically i am looking for guidance on where to place Dolby ATMOS and side (left & right) surround speakers. I am planning to put side surround and front (left & right) speakers at ear level.
- Left & right in-wall surround speakers are 15' 6" away from front projector screen & speakers.
- Left & right in-ceiling Dolby ATMOS speaker is at 13' 16" away from projector screen, 2 feet ahead of side surround speakers roughly at 15 degrees from sitting position.

All speakers will be in-wall or in-ceiling. Appreciate any guidance, comments and/or corrections in my design.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaRoomDesign.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2580958   Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaRoomDesign-1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2580960  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay Kumar View Post
Hi,

I have unfinished basement and i am designing my media room with 5.1.2 audio (Dolby ATMOS).

The length of basement is 50 Feet, with 18Ft long x 15 Ft wide dedicated to media room Please see diagram for visuals. I am struggling with placement of speakers. Basically i am looking for guidance on where to place Dolby ATMOS and side (left & right) surround speakers. I am planning to put side surround and front (left & right) speakers at ear level.
- Left & right in-wall surround speakers are 15' 6" away from front projector screen & speakers.
- Left & right in-ceiling Dolby ATMOS speaker is at 13' 16" away from projector screen, 2 feet ahead of side surround speakers roughly at 15 degrees from sitting position.

All speakers will be in-wall or in-ceiling. Appreciate any guidance, comments and/or corrections in my design.

Thank you!
I'm no expert, but a few things to note:

1) In that size space, I'd consider a 7.1(or2).4 Atmos setup. Maybe even 7.2.6 with the Denon AVR8500H. Depends on your budget though.
2) You have tons of space behind the seating area, if feasible, I'd move the rears way back for better sound imaging.
3) Congratulations! I'd kill for that amount of space, nice!

I see dead pixels.......
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
For smoothest bass response (fewer/smaller peak & dips), place the listeners 16-17 feet from the front wall AND centre the front L/R speakers 32 inches in from the side walls.

With that seating location in mind for a 5.1.2 speaker layout, I would put the surrounds as far back as the left wall will allow (18 feet from front wall?) and the height speakers around 3 feet forward of the listeners, spread about 8 feet apart on the ceiling.

Consider going 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 and definitely consider a second subwoofer.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you!
Thanks Kriilin, appreciate your comments and guidance.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
For smoothest bass response (fewer/smaller peak & dips), place the listeners 16-17 feet from the front wall AND centre the front L/R speakers 32 inches in from the side walls.

With that seating location in mind for a 5.1.2 speaker layout, I would put the surrounds as far back as the left wall will allow (18 feet from front wall?) and the height speakers around 3 feet forward of the listeners, spread about 8 feet apart on the ceiling.

Consider going 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 and definitely consider a second subwoofer.
Thanks Sanjay... this is perfect. This gives me exact guidance on placing the speakers. Where could i place the other ATMOS speaker if i decide to add? Also, if i want to add another Sub, what would be location for that... front right?

Thanks again Sanjay and Kriilin
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Where could i place the other ATMOS speaker if i decide to add?
Turns out for configuring 4 height speakers, Atmos and DTS:X have 4 overhead locations in common: roughly 45 degrees elevation forward & rearward of the listeners (see below, circled in green). Easy way to figure out those locations is to measure from your ears to the ceiling; same distance forward & rearward of you on the ceiling is 45 degrees elevation.

Dhananjay Kumar likes this.

Sanjay
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I would consider building a rear wall or a couple of rear wall columns and putting the rears in wall. Please don't short yourself with just 2 ceiling speakers. 4 heights will have WAY more impact. Also, place the heights 45 degrees front and back of MLP and inline with the fronts.

If you close the room up, you will have better control of light and less space to fill with LF.

What size screen you are going for?

Are you considering 2 rows or a bar table in the back of the main seating area?

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Also, if i want to add another Sub, what would be location for that... front right?
If you blow across an empty bottle, you can make that small chamber resonate (make that booooh sound). If you enlarge that chamber to the size of your room, it will still resonate (of course at different frequencies). Your 15'9" room width will resonate at 36Hz, 72Hz, 108Hz, 143Hz, etc., resulting in peaks & null across the width of your room. You can see the locations of the peaks & nulls in the graph below (each of the resonating frequencies is colour coded).

You can cancel the first three resonances (36Hz, 72Hz, 108Hz) and minimize their peaks & nulls by simply placing a pair of subwoofers at the ¼ and ¾ points of room width. This will give you smoother bass response AND seat-to-seat consistency that you cannot get with a single subwoofer.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page