Question re HDMI to non-HDMI Rcvr - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question re HDMI to non-HDMI Rcvr

Hi, all. New to the forums. Please redirect me if this is not the right place to post this.

I somewhat impulsively bought an LG OLED65B8PUA to replace my very aging Pioneer Plasma. (My kids have been begging to get a tv that they can more easily connect game consoles to.) Honestly, it's more tv and more $$ than I wanted to spend right now, but Target matched a great flash-sale price from New Egg, and I went for it.

Anyway, here's my situation: my current tv is wall-mounted, connected by component cables run through the wall to a rack unit in a cabinet about 15 feet away. My current receiver is a Denon AVR 3805, which has no HDMI connections.

So, if I don't want to drop $1000 on a new comparable receiver, would it be possible to, say, connect my various inputs (DirecTV, xbox, ps4, etc.) to an HDMI switch of some kind, run that output through the wall to drive the OLED, then run an optical audio signal from the OLED back through the wall to the Denon receiver? Should I be concerned about the video pass-through of the switcher degrading the signal?

And if any of this makes sense, got any recommendations for:
-- HDMI Switch with 6 inputs, 1 output

-- Good wall-mount for the OLED

OR, any recommendations for, perhaps, a good used receiver with multiple HDMI inputs to drive a 5.1 sound system in our den, with at least 2 additional zones?

All input/advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've not tried that, but it should work. I have a cheapo HDMI switch I've yet to use. It was something like $4, so I bought it just in case. I don't understand how changing HDMI inputs is easier than changing inputs on a receiver though (perhaps you ran out of inputs?).

My digital inputs died on my plasma, so I've got component going to the TV, with audio going to the receiver. Programmed my Harmony remote to handle switching the TV and receiver inputs. My older receiver doesn't convert HDMI to analog; it only passes through the signal.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 89
If you don't run the HDMI through the receiver I would expect audio delay (lipsync) issues from a lot of sources and various times.

I once setup a receiver to have the HDMI go to the TV and then have the TV send the audio back via its optical port and the audio was constantly out of sync. HDMI has a mechanism to sync audio and if the receiver isn't in the loop it doesn't work well.

In my experience bluray discs were the worst culprit...

Depending on your level of audio snobbery a refurbished Denon s730/s740/s930/s940/x1400h/x1500h/x2400h should do the job for $220-320. If you want better then the price probably doubles to the next step up unless you go used.

The menus look a little lame on my x1400 vs the higher end denon/marantz but if you haven't had an HDMI receiver before you probably won't care. They are functional, they just aren't as sleek and pretty as the higher end ones.

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 06-17-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't understand how changing HDMI inputs is easier than changing inputs on a receiver though (perhaps you ran out of inputs?).

My current receiver (Denon AVR 3805) doesn't have HDMI inputs at all. Trying to find a way to avoid buying a new receiver.

But thanks for your response!

Paul
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
If you don't run the HDMI through the receiver I would expect audio delay (lipsync) issues from a lot of sources and various times.

Yeah, I was afraid of something like that. I may give it a try, though. Thanks for the suggestions of replacement receivers. I'll be looking into that if this doesn't work out.

Paul
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I would say it's time to catch your receiver up. I run switches before but not with a 4k, OLED, or QLED, but it worked without much issue with lip sync. I used the optic for sound. Once in a while as the other post stated blurays or DVDs would be off a bit, but typically pausing the movie and restarting fixed it.. yes I know it may not make sense but it happened. Anyway.. I now run a Denon 2400h.. it rocks. And u can scoop them cheap now. It's a 7.2 so u will have room to grow into it too. I know u dont care to spend more cash, but for 300 or so, you will have a receiver worthy of that OLED.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden2020 View Post
I would say it's time to catch your receiver up. I run switches before but not with a 4k, OLED, or QLED, but it worked without much issue with lip sync. I used the optic for sound. Once in a while as the other post stated blurays or DVDs would be off a bit, but typically pausing the movie and restarting fixed it.. yes I know it may not make sense but it happened. Anyway.. I now run a Denon 2400h.. it rocks. And u can scoop them cheap now. It's a 7.2 so u will have room to grow into it too. I know u dont care to spend more cash, but for 300 or so, you will have a receiver worthy of that OLED.
Thanks for all responses.
For multiple reasons, I abandoned this plan and picked up a new AVR.

Got a very good deal on a Denon AVR-x4400H.

Paul
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Excellent choice.. going to love the Denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Denon Avr 3805 , lg oled65b8

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page