Media Room Layout and Pre-Wiring locations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Media Room Layout and Pre-Wiring locations

We're building a new house and added the media room option to our layout. Using Pulte's furniture planner, I plugged in the two chairs and couch that will be going into the room. The room will be for movies/TV and video games. I am planning to do a 5.2.4 setup. I want to have the 5 ear height level speakers away from the wall. However, I think to preserve walking space and keep them from being too close to the couch, I will need to mount the surround speakers about 6ft high on the wall. I have the front speakers 3ft from the wall with 32" standard doorway's walking space between the line of speakers and the chairs. I want to build a bar for the back with a mini-fridge and toaster/microwave for drinks and snacks. That gives me a tight fit for the chairs to couch and couch to bar. I could shift the seating and speakers all forward, but then the chairs are too far forward from the door location. Overall, how did I do? What changes would you make/recommend if this was your media room? The ceiling speakers on the right side will mirror the left, I just didn't add the dimensions for those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room Layout.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	2581432  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The first thing...if the Build has not started, I would toss out any "requirement" for the locating of the Smurf Tube up from by the Door and reverse the room layout...like you said elsewhere would be your preference.

Builders seldom consider things in the same vein that Theater Owners do, so unless it is set in stone, make that change.

(Gawd...I hope this is not one of those Restrictive Builder Plans where you MUST only do things they always do.... )

I can create a diagram that has the Bar back by the Door...where it belongs. The seating isn't much of an issue but your leaving the Bar area devoid of much impressive aural imagery. Audio-Wise....you'd be better suited to a 7.2.2 arrangement with the Atmos being a "Center Height" option, or place almost directly over the Front Row instead of forward, and going with Front Height setting..

Next to lastly, that room screams for In Wall Surrounds...preferably Di-Poles. That is what I call a "Pocket Home Theater" and I've done a slew of 'em.

Lastly....jump up to at least a 75"er.....they are crazy affordable now,and your "Theater Experience" will be much better for it.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The first thing...if the Build has not started, I would toss out any "requirement" for the locating of the Smurf Tube up from by the Door and reverse the room layout...like you said elsewhere would be your preference.

Builders seldom consider things in the same vein that Theater Owners do, so unless it is set in stone, make that change.

(Gawd...I hope this is not one of those Restrictive Builder Plans where you MUST only do things they always do.... )

I can create a diagram that has the Bar back by the Door...where it belongs. The seating isn't much of an issue but your leaving the Bar area devoid of much impressive aural imagery. Audio-Wise....you'd be better suited to a 7.2.2 arrangement with the Atmos being a "Center Height" option, or place almost directly over the Front Row instead of forward, and going with Front Height setting..

Next to lastly, that room screams for In Wall Surrounds...preferably Di-Poles. That is what I call a "Pocket Home Theater" and I've done a slew of 'em.

Lastly....jump up to at least a 75"er.....they are crazy affordable now,and your "Theater Experience" will be much better for it.
You can see my response on the other thread that picked up after I commented about moving the thread. TV wiring locations were where they were defined. I was able to define the 7.1 speaker cable runs. As far as the bar area, I don't care about it having sound. It's just going to be a spot to grab a quick drink and/or snack then back to watching in the seating area. Also, I think I can build an 18" deep bar that gives a little more walking room between it and the couch since I found a decent mini-fridge about that depth instead of 24."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
You can see my response on the other thread that picked up after I commented about moving the thread. TV wiring locations were where they were defined. I was able to define the 7.1 speaker cable runs. As far as the bar area, I don't care about it having sound. It's just going to be a spot to grab a quick drink and/or snack then back to watching in the seating area. Also, I think I can build an 18" deep bar that gives a little more walking room between it and the couch since I found a decent mini-fridge about that depth instead of 24."

18" is more the standard depth than the exception...even if Bar Stoll Legrron is taken into account. Better to place that Bar against the Wall and let Barflies use the Swivel feature to spin around if the want to watch between sips.

It seems by your comments that the Smurf Tube is already in place? And...you yourself are not allowed to change anything that we predetermined at the beginning?

That is sad...because that Bar should absolutely be back by the Door Entry. I've had to deal with recalcitrant Builders before...but sometimes when it is realized that minor changes can effect major improvements, they can at times acquiesce. You can only ask......not asking never get's anything done. You did ask; " Overall, how did I do? What changes would you make/recommend if this was your media room?"

Well there it is. There are several distinct advantages to be had by simply flipping the room, so you really should consider doing so if there is even a remote chance.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
18" is more the standard depth than the exception...even if Bar Stoll Legrron is taken into account. Better to place that Bar against the Wall and let Barflies use the Swivel feature to spin around if the want to watch between sips.

It seems by your comments that the Smurf Tube is already in place? And...you yourself are not allowed to change anything that we predetermined at the beginning?

That is sad...because that Bar should absolutely be back by the Door Entry. I've had to deal with recalcitrant Builders before...but sometimes when it is realized that minor changes can effect major improvements, they can at times acquiesce. You can only ask......not asking never get's anything done. You did ask; " Overall, how did I do? What changes would you make/recommend if this was your media room?"

Well there it is. There are several distinct advantages to be had by simply flipping the room, so you really should consider doing so if there is even a remote chance.

I appreciate the comments and agree that flipping the room would be helpful. I don't plan on having bar stools, but maybe in the future I will need more seating.

Unfortunately options for wiring placement were limited. It was a big deal with the low voltage rep just to specify the location of speaker wire runs. My biggest concern was location of the ceiling speakers and calculating speaker placement from the center of the listening area rather than a specific seat, but it sounds like no one had a concern about that.

Last edited by bjaurelio; 06-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page