Replacing BTT490 Receiver for future Home Theatre Upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mocs123

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Replacing BTT490 Receiver for future Home Theatre Upgrade

Hello friends,

First time here, relative home theatre novice.

I have been using the BTT490 (sorry I can't link as a new member, specs are easily found on google) for the past 7 years and really enjoyed it. No problems and it works well with my setup. The receiver finally died, and I am exploring my options. I don't want to replace the entire setup quite yet, since I like the speakers and sub. Someday I am sure I will step up to nicer speakers, but for now I was wondering about replacing just the receiver.

So what would you guys recommend? Would I be able to use an entry 5.1 receiver with the current speakers (they all have basic +/- terminal plugs)? If so, what is a good model the experts recommend? I am a bit confused about the total power I should be looking at (BTT490 is RMS 1000w and FTX 430w). Thinking less than $500 if possible.

Thanks in advance for helping out a novice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don't see why you couldn't use any entry level receiver. I would go to Accessories4less as they have good deals on refurb and closeout receivers and are authorized dealers on everything they sell. Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo - any of those brands are good.

I highly doubt that unit was able to produce 1000w RMS - they inflate the ratings of those things criminally. Any receiver should be able to power them fine. I would probably want something 80 watts per channel or more, but a high quality amp with less power should drive them fine too.

Is the sub powered or passive? (does the sub attach via speaker style connectors (+/-) or a single RCA style plug?)

Do you want to go to 7.1 or Atmos later on, or are you going to stick with 5.1?

You should be able to find what you want for under $300.

For Denon what about the AVR-X1500H?

For Onkyo what about the TX-RZ620?

For Yamaha what about the RX-V583?

Personally I don't find much difference in sound between modern receivers (like I do speakers) so pick the one with the features you want at the best price. FYI the modern players are Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer Elite, so really just 3 companies. And of course two of those three are merging.
TheNolano likes this.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne

Last edited by Mocs123; 06-25-2019 at 06:25 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-29-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I don't see why you couldn't use any entry level receiver. I would go to Accessories4less as they have good deals on refurb and closeout receivers and are authorized dealers on everything they sell. Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo - any of those brands are good.

I highly doubt that unit was able to produce 1000w RMS - they inflate the ratings of those things criminally. Any receiver should be able to power them fine. I would probably want something 80 watts per channel or more, but a high quality amp with less power should drive them fine too.

Is the sub powered or passive? (does the sub attach via speaker style connectors (+/-) or a single RCA style plug?)

Do you want to go to 7.1 or Atmos later on, or are you going to stick with 5.1?

You should be able to find what you want for under $300.

For Denon what about the AVR-X1500H?

For Onkyo what about the TX-RZ620?

For Yamaha what about the RX-V583?

Personally I don't find much difference in sound between modern receivers (like I do speakers) so pick the one with the features you want at the best price. FYI the modern players are Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer Elite, so really just 3 companies. And of course two of those three are merging.
Thank you very much for your advice. I have no doubt the speakers need an upgrade and I am happy to hear I can start with the receiver. Thanks for letting me know about inflated numbers, the speakers never got that loud so I don't doubt it.

The current sub passive (just +/-) and pretty crappy. It's probably the first upgrade. Do the regular receivers not work with passive sub?

I bet I will stick with 5.1 for at least the next 5 years or so.

That is a killer site and I love the refurb idea. I was looking at the RX-V485 since I have liked other Yamaha products. Think this could be a good option?

Is Sony not really a good player these days? I found a good deal on STR-DH590 too.

Finally all the speakers are 3 ohm. If I did one of the above receivers, would I need to do anything special to make them work?

Seriously, thank you again. Another forum I posted on I basically just had people telling me I needed to junk the whole system and buy all new speakers. That is obviously the eventual plan, but I am just trying to make this work until I have more to spend. I appreciate you understanding my problem and providing solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

On second thought, the more I read the more I realize the issue may be the 3-ohm impedance. Might be trickier than I thought at first.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The 3Ohm impedance is definitely odd and a bit of a challenge, though for some reason I doubt they are really that hard to drive - if they were I don't think an inexpensive HTIB amp would be able to drive them. My guess is either of the receivers you mention would be able to drive them to reasonable levels.

You are correct however that most receivers can not power a passive sub - they have an RCA output intended to go to a powered sub-woofer. That's not saying you can't use passive sub(s) but it does mean you will need another amplifier for it (them). In fact lots of people on the DIY forum have passive subs powered by pro-audio amps. I have two DIY 15" subs powered by a Behringer iNuke 3000D amp.

Since you on on a budget you have 4 options with the sub:

1. Buy a quality subwoofer to use with your current and future system. Your room size and listening preferences will have a lot to do with how much "sub" you will need. To get to real quality subs that can go to 20Hz you need about $500 - My recommendation is the Monoprice Monolith 10" THX Ported Sub. Realizing that $500 may be more then you want to pay, I think the RSL Speedwoofer 10S is the best $400 sub out there and the BIC Acoustech PL200-II is the best $300 sub. Neither of those last two will get you much output at 20Hz but they are both good subs at their respective price points.

2.) Buy a plate amp and cut a hole in your existing sub to install, making it a "powered subwoofer". Parts Express has a Dayton Audio 70watt subwoofer plate amp for $50.

3.) Buy a cheap amplifier and hook it up to your passive sub. Most passive sub users use either Behringer or Crown amps with the budget leader being Behringer. The cheapest amp is about $250 though so it's still an investment. Parts Express does sell a "Pyle" brand amp for $100 and that might be a decent stop gap for a while.

4.) Buy a cheap "temporary" replacement sub. Most of the subs under $300 aren't great performers, but one could get you by until you upgrade the rest of your system. Parts Express has a Dayton Audio 10" sub for $120. I know nothing about it, and am sure it's not the worlds best sub, but as a budget stop gap, it might be worth a shot.

Yamaha receivers are generally thought of as the most reliable out there at the moment, and generally sound pretty good. I haven't had a Yamaha for a decade, but there is no particular reason that would make me not buy another one. I think that sounds like a good option.

Sony doesn't put a lot of money in their home audio group anymore, but used to have some great stuff in their ES line. I'm sure the Sony would be a fine unit too, if it has the features you want.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page