2Likes
  • 2 Post By airscapes

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Need help with logic

Let's say you have about $4300. You have the option to get a 75 Z9D for $3800. Or hope that Greentoe accepts your offer of $4250 for a 77C9 (have seen someone get an offer of $4300 accepted). Or pick up a 75-in x900F and PSA V3611 for $3700. Which way would you go? Living room. Lighting can be controlled. Current equipment listed in signature.

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Keep whatever tv you currently have and step up to projection. I would never spend $4000 on a tiny 77" TV after living with 120" screen for years. If you are set on the TV set, Logic says buy the one you want, regardless of the cost, as non are really worth what you are paying to start with and next to nothing in a couple of years. So get what you want and then enjoy it for a while!
bud16415 and ckronengold like this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Lighting "can be" controlled or "is" controlled?

Primary watching space?

I love my PJ but wouldn't want it in my living room for primary watching. Just to turn on the news for the weather? Or the kids want to watch Llama Llama before supper?

I also agree that I wouldn't drop $4k on a TV either. But I've been out of the TV market for a few years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Yes, primary and only viewing space. Want sure if this was the right place for the post but thought I'd give it a shot. I don't have a separate space available for a dedicated theater. Just trying to make the most of the space I do have. Protector doesn't seem, to me, to fit this application. I don't really have a place to mount one in my room and I don't know that a projector is the best for the gamut of viewing done. Gaming, sports, movies, general TV streaming. Thanks for your time and input though.

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.

Last edited by Mathoosala; 07-09-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
I’m also a projector guy and we watch everything on it except what we watch in the kitchen morning news and such.

On the other hand projectors are great for image size but that’s about it compared to even average flat panel TVs and are not for every room and everybody.

The way I look at all this new high end technology is what are you going to be feeding it and how close do you sit to it? A chain is only as good as its weakest link. If you are sitting 14’ away and feeding it cable or streaming signals it might not matter what TV you buy. Chances are your family will never notice or care.

Bud
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I have a 4K HRD projector now with a 133" screen and Im moving to a 75" to 90" screen in my new theater. Just moving the seats closer. New TV will be purchased in spring next year so maybe even 8K. Projectors that are bright enough to truly do HDR are still just way to much and an OLED would rock the thing. My opinion is that projectors are probably finally finished with price, size and quality of new TV's. Its time for people to modernize. Think space now for the future virtual reality where you may see a 200" looking screen next to your face. When I bought my first projector 12 years ago it was right when 1080p projectors finally got under $5000 and the TV's back then were the first LCD's that weren't even that great and expensive in 55" versions.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
I have a 4K HRD projector now with a 133" screen and Im moving to a 75" to 90" screen in my new theater. Just moving the seats closer. New TV will be purchased in spring next year so maybe even 8K. Projectors that are bright enough to truly do HDR are still just way to much and an OLED would rock the thing. My opinion is that projectors are probably finally finished with price, size and quality of new TV's. Its time for people to modernize. Think space now for the future virtual reality where you may see a 200" looking screen next to your face. When I bought my first projector 12 years ago it was right when 1080p projectors finally got under $5000 and the TV's back then were the first LCD's that weren't even that great and expensive in 55" versions.
There are a few good threads floating around the forum about the eventual death of projectors in favor of much higher quality flat panels that are approaching these bigger sizes. All the buzz is when will “The Wall” be affordable for the average home owner.

One system is emitting light the other reflecting, one works best in total darkness and the other can be tamed for darkness but really shines in a less than perfect light controlled setting.

I understand it and get the draw people have and the willingness to move from a 133 to an 80 and sit closer to get the immersion back.

IMO it is a major improvement in many directions and HDR seems to be very important to lots of people. I wouldn’t advise anyone to not accept your advice on how to “modernize” their viewing settings.

For me there are some hard to describe features to projection done right and the actual larger image size that make the presentation more film-like. No matter how close I sit or how perfect an image from an emitting display is, I can’t convince myself it is film-like.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page