Location of speakers in room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Location of speakers in room

Hello guys,i'm new member here.First i want to say sorry for my bad English,thats not my main language.

I'm planing to do some apartment renovation and i want to install home theater in future.So the wiring will be in walls and before that i need some advices on speaker locations and what max system i can use in my room.I have only basic knowledge about audio setup.I created an apartment floor plan with speakers location(the pictures are attached),so can you please say,is this setup ok for this type of room?I choosed 5.1 system,but can i use 5.1.4 or 7.1?or is it too much?The home theatr i want to use only for movies and games.

P.S The sizes in floorplan are in mm.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	2589872   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	2589874   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	2589876   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	2589878   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2589880  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
You can easily do a 5.1.4 set-up or, since your seating is away from the back wall, you can do a 7.1.4 set-up (2 surround speakers along the side walls and 2 surround speakers spread out on the back wall). Also, are you willing to rotate the set-up 180 degrees in the room so that the TV and front speakers are on the full wall?

Sanjay
post #3 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
You can easily do a 5.1.4 set-up or, since your seating is away from the back wall, you can do a 7.1.4 set-up (2 surround speakers along the side walls and 2 surround speakers spread out on the back wall). Also, are you willing to rotate the set-up 180 degrees in the room so that the TV and front speakers are on the full wall?
Thank you for answer.Yes i was thinking about rotating the set-up.The floorplan is still in WIP.If i rotate the set-up the rear speakers will be on the short wall i guess?Where tv was.The problem is that this area is most walkable (dont know if i write this word right),so in rear i will need to hook some very compact speakers to not block the pass.

Also i found information that its a bad idea to place the speakers in corners and that the front speakers must not be too long from each other.Is this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mugnetsyan View Post
Thank you for answer.Yes i was thinking about rotating the set-up.The floorplan is still in WIP.If i rotate the set-up the rear speakers will be on the short wall i guess?Where tv was.The problem is that this area is most walkable (dont know if i write this word right),so in rear i will need to hook some very compact speakers to not block the pass.

Also i found information that its a bad idea to place the speakers in corners and that the front speakers must not be too long from each other.Is this right?
Rear speakers could go on the "short wall" but you'd be limiting the amount of separation and directional cues that you'd be getting. But you could do that as an option.

Option 2 could be mounting them on the "Walkway" walls (see image) to give you more of a traditional 5.1 layout with the surrounds on the sides rather than behind you.

And you could also easily do a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. Added red circles for in-ceiling just to give you an idea. (Sorry, at work and don't have the time to do it more carefully or rearrange the furniture, but you get the idea.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	514.png
Views:	11
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	2589988  

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #5 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
The problem is that this area is most walkable (dont know if i write this word right),so in rear i will need to hook some very compact speakers to not block the pass.
Since the bass is being handled by subwoofers (definitely use more than one), you don't have to use large speakers, even for the front L/C/R. Place the Side speakers right next to the doors on the side walls. Spread the Rear speakers as far apart as you can on the small back wall. You should end up with excellent side-versus-rear separation AND wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that you cannot get with only 2 surround speakers.
Quote:
Also i found information that its a bad idea to place the speakers in corners and that the front speakers must not be too long from each other. Is this right?
If you were doing a 5.1 set-up, then there is nothing wrong with putting surround speakers in corners, because the additional wall surfaces will make the surround field more diffuse and enveloping. But that is the opposite of what you want for the front soundstage. Pulling the speakers away from the corners will make the sound clearer and more articulate, making it easier to hear dialogue and follow the story.

Sanjay
post #6 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Rough idea of where to put the 4 surrounds (red) and 4 heights (green). You can experiment with front speaker placement till the soundstage sounds good to you.

Sanjay
post #7 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys,i think i will do an 7.2.4 setup.

sdurani

The rear height speakers are in the area of flat arch,i attached the picture.So i recreated the floorplan by your ideas.The doors i repositioned to the right side as much as i could,so the sofa goes more to the center of room.Dont know if the subs are in good position. According to this set-up,which speakers you suggest?max 1500-2000$

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flat arch.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	2590058   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.2.4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2590060  
post #8 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 1983
Quote:
Don't know if the subs are in good position.
You won't know that until the room is set up and you do the "subwoofer crawl."
Invariably, the best sounding place will be the most inconvenient, so it's almost always a compromise. One of the many reasons multiple subs are better than one.
Welcome, BTW.
Though you may want to follow the Welcome link in my sig.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #9 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Dont know if the subs are in good position.
If you blow across an empty bottle, you can get the air inside that small chamber to resonate (make that boooooh sound). If you enlarge that small chamber to the size of your room, the air in there will still continue to resonate (of course at different frequencies). The width of your room will cause resonances at 35Hz, 70Hz, 105Hz, 140Hz, 175Hz, etc. This will result in lots of peaks & nulls across the width of your room, making the bass sound different from seat to seat.

You can cancel the first 3 of these resonances (room modes) by centering a pair of subwoofers at 1/4 room width away from the side walls. You can cancel the next 2 room modes by placing your FL and FR speakers 1/6 room width away from the side walls. This will minimize the peaks & nulls at those problem frequencies and give consistent bass response to all listeners.

Best part: it's free (doesn't cost anything to move subwoofers and speakers). The science behind it is explained in the diagram below:

Sanjay
post #10 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You won't know that until the room is set up and you do the "subwoofer crawl."
Invariably, the best sounding place will be the most inconvenient, so it's almost always a compromise. One of the many reasons multiple subs are better than one.
Welcome, BTW.
Though you may want to follow the Welcome link in my sig.
Michael
Thank you Michael,the welcome link is great I just wanted at least the soundbar and know i'm planing to do 7.2.8 setup lol,so its too late to run away lol.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you blow across an empty bottle, you can get the air inside that small chamber to resonate (make that boooooh sound). If you enlarge that small chamber to the size of your room, the air in there will still continue to resonate (of course at different frequencies). The width of your room will cause resonances at 35Hz, 70Hz, 105Hz, 140Hz, 175Hz, etc. This will result in lots of peaks & nulls across the width of your room, making the bass sound different from seat to seat.

You can cancel the first 3 of these resonances (room modes) by centering a pair of subwoofers at 1/4 room width away from the side walls. You can cancel the next 2 room modes by placing your FL and FR speakers 1/6 room width away from the side walls. This will minimize the peaks & nulls at those problem frequencies and give consistent bass response to all listeners.
Thats very informative.Thank you.So as i understood,the rear and side speakers will be in rock solid place,i only need to play with the angle of rears.And the fun starts in subs and front speakers.By this floorplan i will do in-wall wiring only for the rear and side speakers,for the front and subs i will use standart connection.

For 5.1 i wanted to use Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 because if their size.What you can suggest now for 7.2.4 system?

The receiver i think must be 11.2?
post #12 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
What you can suggest now for 7.2.4 system?
Speaker choice should be based on your personal preference (not mine). What speakers have you heard? Which ones did you like?
Quote:
The receiver i think must be 11.2?
Yes.

Sanjay
post #13 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Speaker choice should be based on your personal preference (not mine). What speakers have you heard? Which ones did you like? Yes.
In my country i can get only home set from sony,samsung,lg and etc.So I only heard Sony BDV-N9200W and samsung HW-K950.In Sony I didn't liked the bass and mid range in this system.In samsung the dolby atmos was cool and thats all.The wireless speakers had some white noise and the system had various glitches.As you can see i dont have experience in this.But i know that i need something better than this systems,and those 2 systems are the topest that i can get.So i will buy everything from USA and ship it to my country.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
So i will buy everything from USA and ship it to my country.
My personal preference is for speakers from Kef, JBL, Infinity. They tend to have wide dispersion (to cover all listeners on the sofa) and consistent off-axis response (so that all listeners hear similar sound). I don't worry much about tonal qualities (bright, warm) of speakers because I use tone controls to adjust the sound to my taste.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms