Help/Guidance Choosing a Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help/Guidance Choosing a Receiver

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired my first set of nice speakers ELAC Unifi B5. I understand they can be quite hard to drive, though I have not had any real issues with my current receiver (a Sony STR-DH820). The receiver is old and I could use an upgrade with the speakers anyway. My room is roughly 20' wide on the TV wall and 30' deep. Seating position is about 15' from the TV and rear speakers are set just behind the seating position. I have laminate flooring and a scissor truss ceiling with a high point of about 18 feet. I have a Sumiko S.10 subwoofer handling the bass and all the speakers (5 of them) are crossed over at 80hz.

My local shop recommended the Anthem 520, but the unit offers almost nothing the way of features, apart from supreme sound quality. I am considering the Yamaha RX a2080. Thoughts? Any other suggestions? I do plan to expand my system in the coming years.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New system recommendations

Just went through (still going through as everything is in the return period phase) the same thought process. I moved from a TX-NR838 as it was a great system and included Atmos after the firware update, but would not decode Dolby Vision/HDR. I currently have the Denon AVR-X2600H as it gives eARC for enhanced video. I have Apple 4k, Fire Stick 4k and my Xbox One S in a bake off to see which is going to provide the best streaming experience. I'm toying with the Marantz 6013 because of the price but not fully committed.

What is your primary application for the system? I am almost exclusively streaming Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos content from Netflix/Prime, etc and wanted the full effect. I upgraded display from Samsung JU7100 to LG OLED C8. I love the contrast and PQ but concerned without the eARC that it is not future proof.

As far as recommendations on an AVR I really like the Marantz and the Denon.

Sid
post #3 of 3 Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just went through (still going through as everything is in the return period phase) the same thought process. I moved from a TX-NR838 as it was a great system and included Atmos after the firware update, but would not decode Dolby Vision/HDR. I currently have the Denon AVR-X2600H as it gives eARC for enhanced video. I have Apple 4k, Fire Stick 4k and my Xbox One S in a bake off to see which is going to provide the best streaming experience. I'm toying with the Marantz 6013 because of the price but not fully committed.

What is your primary application for the system? I am almost exclusively streaming Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos content from Netflix/Prime, etc and wanted the full effect. I upgraded display from Samsung JU7100 to LG OLED C8. I love the contrast and PQ but concerned without the eARC that it is not future proof.

As far as recommendations on an AVR I really like the Marantz and the Denon.

Sid

Sid,

I would not say there is one primary use. The system is connected to my computer as a media hub so it is used for games, music, movies, and TV. I would say that music and movies dominate. I heard that Onkyo purchased Denon, is that true? Why would you choose Marantz over the other brands? Other system upgrades will happen eventually; the computer is about 6 years old as is the TV now so it is abouyt time to upgrade everything to 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page