Desert DIY aka "2 Bedrooms = Theater" - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 11-09-2019, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidyurik View Post
I know this is probably all over the forum.... What is the reason for putting insulation in the riser?

Dave
It stops any resonating from sounds etc otherwise the riser would be like a big drum if you hit it. Some people even go as far as to put in sand to deaden any vibes or frequencies.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Seemed like a good deal. Bought 2. $378 shipped with tax so for under $800 I'll have 2 12" subs with the larger 600 watt amp and cerametallic woofer. Ideally I'd like to have some SVS or the hsu like everyone goes on about, but sometimes you can't run with the big dogs.

For my room size (about 2500 cubic feet) I hope they will do well. Now to keep hunting for the other speakers. Black friday ads ....

Last edited by captainrob; 11-10-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #33 of 51 Old 11-13-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Interesting build. My wife would never let me do this, but I have a basement to play with, just not the cash for for what I want. For about $190 more you could have had two of these? Now you would have buy separate amp, but trust me, these kick the Klipsch 12" butt. I have been a theater with 8 and another with 9 of them. Your 2 12" should be more then enough though. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Is your bedroom next to these rooms?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 11-13-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrob View Post

The house is a 1 story 3 br home. It is just the two of us in the house and my better half said to go for it if I can turn the other 2 bedrooms into a theater.

That's what I call dedication to the HT cause - turn a perfectly good 3 bedroom home into a 1 bedroom 1 theatre home

Where I live a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home is considered the minimum - friends thought I was nuts when I built a 3 bed home just so I could accommodate a theatre
post #35 of 51 Old 11-18-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
That's what I call dedication to the HT cause - turn a perfectly good 3 bedroom home into a 1 bedroom 1 theatre home

Where I live a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home is considered the minimum - friends thought I was nuts when I built a 3 bed home just so I could accommodate a theatre
Yes, for resale I like to look at it like I created a 2 Master Bedroom Home Haha.... after I rip out the riser : (

I plan on staying here for at least 10 years, which is about when the home is paid off. My target demographic if we sell is a couple that doesn't have/want kids just like us! Seems like there are more "dinks" (dual income no kids) these days.

post #36 of 51 Old 11-18-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Working on the second 1/2" layer. I decided on the 2 layers of 1/2" to bring me to about 12" and up to the outlets. I cut the boards around them a little since it came up just to the bottom 1/4" of them. Way better than covering them all up woth a 15" high riser or having to move them all up. This makes it easy for me to forego running wiring through the riser and easily run power to the chairs etc from the outlets where they are. The carpet will butt up against the outlets.

In hindsight after more reading I would have gone with a single 3/4" layer of subfloor. Everyone I saw was doing 2 layers of floor on top so I followed the leader. Then I read that most homes are built with a single 3/4" subfloor. This would have put me under the outlets and surely strong enough for my build. The single 1/2" had a little bit of flex, but i think a single 3/4" would suffice.

post #37 of 51 Old 11-19-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Things are showing up.

pkinneb likes this.
post #38 of 51 Old 11-19-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
that looks dag gum comfy right there....
captainrob likes this.
post #39 of 51 Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Yes, for resale I like to look at it like I created a 2 Master Bedroom Home Haha.... after I rip out the riser : (
It would be pretty easy to put a partition wall back up, and then you've got a 3 bedroom house again to sell.
post #40 of 51 Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
It would be pretty easy to put a partition wall back up, and then you've got a 3 bedroom house again to sell.
Yup, I left the "header" boards all around where the wall was so it should be pretty straight forward to build the wall again if needed.

post #41 of 51 Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Picked up 2 pairs of klipsch r-41sa speakers when on the daily deal at Frys. I have another pair on hold at the same price of $249. I had planned to just get one pair for use for the rears and then I went in the store and they had 2 pair left so I picked them up with the idea of using them for my 4 atmos.

I can get above my ceiling through the garage drop down ladder, but there is another layer of plywood above the ceiling and it's a tight fit to get to where I think the top of the ceiling is. It seems as if the ceiling drywall is double layered or something also. With all that fun to deal with I started thinking about alternatives to IN ceiling. I believe that these would sound better since they are in a cabinet and not stuck in the ceiling.

They are pretty heavy so I will need to find some good mounts. I'm not too worried about screwing into the speakers. I'll disassemble one to make sure I'm not hitting any vital components. Since my ceiling is slanted the wedge shape of the speakers will help.

I've tried to not make many compromises to the theater by worrying about "down the road" , but if/when the time comes to sell and I need to make the theater back into two rooms itll be a lot easier to fill in some screw holes than it would be to call in a drywall guy to fill in 4 8" holes.

$$ left to buy...

Center channel ?? RP-440??
Side surround speakers (RP-402S?)
Projector (epson 5050ub?)
Receiver and amp..?
I need to find a thread on good 11.2 channel setups maybe using a 9.2 (with 11.2 processing) and amp to power my rp-8000s.
Carpet....

pkinneb likes this.
post #42 of 51 Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Double posted...

Last edited by captainrob; 11-20-2019 at 12:45 PM.
post #43 of 51 Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Interesting build. My wife would never let me do this, but I have a basement to play with, just not the cash for for what I want. For about $190 more you could have had two of these? Now you would have buy separate amp, but trust me, these kick the Klipsch 12" butt. I have been a theater with 8 and another with 9 of them. Your 2 12" should be more then enough though. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Is your bedroom next to these rooms?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails
Sorry, I missed your post. I've never seen those subs and definitely would have considered and maybe went with that setup. I'd love to have subs that can move that much air around. I've heard some serious audiophiles on youtube talk about how impressive it is when they can feel the air pressure in a room. At this point I am going to have 3 12" subs, but an easier fit would be 2 bigger ones because I'm not totally sure where I'll fit the 3rd sub. On the riser in the back corner or next to the front row on the left is an option. Not sure if in the riser would be a problem with resonance etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. I like building things and the DIY aspect so I may go for that later!

Oh, the bedroom is down the hall, but the bedroom closet and bathroom (just the toilet, not rest of the bathroom) do share the theater wall where the subs will be.

post #44 of 51 Old 11-25-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Finished the riser today and called in a drywall guy to fix where the closet was removed. He did a great job with matching the "knock down " texture on the walls. $250 for materials and labor.

post #45 of 51 Old 11-25-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Picked up 2 pairs of klipsch r-41sa speakers when on the daily deal at Frys. I have another pair on hold at the same price of $249. I had planned to just get one pair for use for the rears and then I went in the store and they had 2 pair left so I picked them up with the idea of using them for my 4 atmos.

I can get above my ceiling through the garage drop down ladder, but there is another layer of plywood above the ceiling and it's a tight fit to get to where I think the top of the ceiling is. It seems as if the ceiling drywall is double layered or something also. With all that fun to deal with I started thinking about alternatives to IN ceiling. I believe that these would sound better since they are in a cabinet and not stuck in the ceiling.

They are pretty heavy so I will need to find some good mounts. I'm not too worried about screwing into the speakers. I'll disassemble one to make sure I'm not hitting any vital components. Since my ceiling is slanted the wedge shape of the speakers will help.

I've tried to not make many compromises to the theater by worrying about "down the road" , but if/when the time comes to sell and I need to make the theater back into two rooms itll be a lot easier to fill in some screw holes than it would be to call in a drywall guy to fill in 4 8" holes.

$$ left to buy...

Center channel ?? RP-440??
Side surround speakers (RP-402S?)
Projector (epson 5050ub?)
Receiver and amp..?
I need to find a thread on good 11.2 channel setups maybe using a 9.2 (with 11.2 processing) and amp to power my rp-8000s.
Carpet....

I got the Marantz 6013 a few months back, because my Integra Preamp was having some issues. With the 6013 you can do 11.2 with an external 2 channel amp. I have a couple so I figured that was the best way to go and save money. It is selling at a good price right now if you check the internet and I bet will be on some black Friday deals.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #46 of 51 Old 11-25-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Still need to figure out:

Amp so I can run 11 channels

Center channel to compliment the RP-8000f

Surround sides to compliment the LCR

Still leaning towards the UB5050... $$$$

Carpet and Paint... the paint threads... omg. I'm leaning towards Behr Mouse Ears for screen wall and ceiling. Not sure if I should do the ceiling to the middle of the room where the fake beam will be that I install or do the entire ceiling all the way back. I'd still like to see some other options since a fiber optic one may be too much hassle and not ideal with my vaulted ceiling.

I believe I'll pickup some new baseboard since I redid the entire house already except for this room.

post #47 of 51 Old 11-25-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I got the Marantz 6013 a few months back, because my Integra Preamp was having some issues. With the 6013 you can do 11.2 with an external 2 channel amp. I have a couple so I figured that was the best way to go and save money. It is selling at a good price right now if you check the internet and I bet will be on some black Friday deals.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a Denon 4500 this morning haha. Picked it up for $899 out the door. Refurb with 3 year warrsnty.

I am on the lookout for a 2 channel amp however since it's a 9.2 capable of 11.2 processing. What are you using?

Ladeback likes this.
post #48 of 51 Old 11-25-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a Denon 4500 this morning haha. Picked it up for $899 out the door. Refurb with 3 year warrsnty.

I am on the lookout for a 2 channel amp however since it's a 9.2 capable of 11.2 processing. What are you using?

That's a good deal and a good unit.

post #49 of 51 Old 12-03-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Receiver has arrived. Looks brand new so I'm a happy camper.

With the drywall finished I went ahead and replaced the baseboard so it would match the rest of the house that I already did. It's now nailed in and caulked ready for paint.

I also hit the riser with a rounded edge bit on my router and sanded it some to get it ready for carpet.

I am leaning towards this carpet at home depot. I like looking at the threads where people have gone red, but with my modern kinda look and big concrete style tiles throughout my house it may be better to stick with gray carpet and just use some good poster/acoustic treatments and other movie prop stuff to add some color to the room.

post #50 of 51 Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Looks great! FWIW we have had that same carpet (3rd one down on the right) in our master bedroom for a couple years now and it has held up well.
captainrob likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #51 of 51 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Looks great! FWIW we have had that same carpet (3rd one down on the right) in our master bedroom for a couple years now and it has held up well.
Great, happy to hear that! Install is scheduled for the 27th so I won't beat xmas, but it'll be in for the new year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page