Going from 5.1 to 7.2.4 Equipment Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-17-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going from 5.1 to 7.2.4 Equipment Advice

I currently have a 5.1 system set up in my living room. TV is a 75" Samsung. Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V867. BD Player is a Sony BDP-S480. LCR setup is three Def Tech Mythos 10. Rear channels are Def Tech Mythos Gem XL. Sub is a Mirage FRX-S8. Obviously this setup is long in the tooth so I'm looking to step up. All the gear is housed in an enclosed hall closet with a bathroom vent fan in the ceiling which is powered on once the receiver is turned on.

I'll be keeping the speakers & adding Mythos Gems (or Gem XL) for sides. I'll buy 4 in-ceiling speakers for the 2 height channels. Probably Def Tech DI-5.5R or DI-6.5R. I'll pull the Mirage out of service & use the LFE inputs on my Rythmik F12SE dual subs that I use for my dedicated 2 channel setup.

So that just leaves with a decision to make on the receiver & a new player.

Initially, I was thinking about the Anthem MRX-1120 & an OPPO UDP-203. However, the 1120 is kinda pricey & OPPO is out of business so a used 203 is going cost ~$800+. The Pioneer LX500 is within that price range & Pioneer is still in business. I have a handful of SACD & DVD-A that I enjoy, hence the reason for a true universal player.

I'm all over the place looking at receivers now. It doesn't appear that Yamaha makes an 11.2 receiver. I've been reading up on the Denon X6500H & the Pioneer LX901.

Just looking for advice on the receiver & player I'd should be considering.

Kevin T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgturner View Post
I currently have a 5.1 system set up in my living room. TV is a 75" Samsung. Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V867. BD Player is a Sony BDP-S480. LCR setup is three Def Tech Mythos 10. Rear channels are Def Tech Mythos Gem XL. Sub is a Mirage FRX-S8. Obviously this setup is long in the tooth so I'm looking to step up. All the gear is housed in an enclosed hall closet with a bathroom vent fan in the ceiling which is powered on once the receiver is turned on.

I'll be keeping the speakers & adding Mythos Gems (or Gem XL) for sides. I'll buy 4 in-ceiling speakers for the 2 height channels. Probably Def Tech DI-5.5R or DI-6.5R. I'll pull the Mirage out of service & use the LFE inputs on my Rythmik F12SE dual subs that I use for my dedicated 2 channel setup.

So that just leaves with a decision to make on the receiver & a new player.

Initially, I was thinking about the Anthem MRX-1120 & an OPPO UDP-203. However, the 1120 is kinda pricey & OPPO is out of business so a used 203 is going cost ~$800+. The Pioneer LX500 is within that price range & Pioneer is still in business. I have a handful of SACD & DVD-A that I enjoy, hence the reason for a true universal player.

I'm all over the place looking at receivers now. It doesn't appear that Yamaha makes an 11.2 receiver. I've been reading up on the Denon X6500H & the Pioneer LX901.

Just looking for advice on the receiver & player I'd should be considering.

Kevin T

Receivers

Specs on the speakers can handle either of those receivers.
I looks like both models are 2018, so can find discounts around.
Power output for either one of them are pretty much the same. 140watts / ch.
Overall, you have to decide the audio formats you would like to support.
The Denon looks like it supports IMAX Enhanced, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, Auro-3D
The Pioneer looks like it DTS:X™ and Dolby Atmos

Now you have to decide if you want Audyseey or YPAO.

Additionally, decided if the features of each of them has out weighs one feature over another.. only you can decide that...

Personally, I'm on Denon.

As far as a player, i think avs-ers are willing to accept the price point on a used Oppo due to the quality and abilities, though the company is outta biz.
If you have a particular need such as the SADC and DVD-A, not much on the market that supports it anymore, and Oppo was at the top of the game on the end of a dying tech.

just my $0.02

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #3 of 3 Old 09-22-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I think I'll go with the Denon unless I can catch a killer deal on the Anthem MRX-1120. Still 50/50 on the Oppo vs. Pioneer though.

Kevin T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page