Challenges with ceiling heights - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Challenges with ceiling heights

Hi there,

We are planning to redo our basement completely and we will have a small room (12ft x 15ft not finalized yet) dedicated as a home theater and the challenge is that we have a large HVAC ducting in the middle of our ceiling.(See picture below).

One side of the room has a height of 7.5 feet and 6.75 feet where the ducting is. I am thinking of having the contractor move the HVAC ducting but I think it will costly to reroute the ducting somewhere else.
I am planning to move my Elite 120 inch fixed screen (16:9) from a dedicated bedroom to the basement but now I am concern that the screen will be too low. (see picture below. The room in the picture will be demolished.)

What should I do?

Also, can I disassemble the screen and reassemble it in the basement? I am afraid the fabric will be damage and won't stretch as well since I have to disassemble it completely.

I will be using the following equipment and will mainly be watching movies and concerts.

Epson 5040UB
Pioneer receiver SC-65
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver 200 (5.1 or 7.1 setup)
Sony Bluray player (Need to invest in a 4k player)
Sub - my old SVS PB10-ISD

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2616996  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Is there space around this room to be had? What size is your screen?

If that space can be lengthen to the left, I'd take the space. Then I'd look at moving the door so I could do a acoustically transparent space under the HVAC area.
I'd leave some exposed as a soffit. Lastly, I'd put in some acoustically transparent screen material in your screen frame.

Or if there's space to the right, I'd take it. The door could be disguised as part of a fabric panelled side wall.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Ok been there.

Recommend getting a quote. It’s likely not as expensive as you think and as someone who chose to design his theater around those ducts...

I wish I’d moved them.

I would have rather waited a year until I had the right money to move the ducts vs just living with them. It’s really problematic when it comes to second row and screen size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been there too.

At 15' of room depth with 7.5" of height, I simply wouldn't stuff in a second row. Stuff being the operative word, as I'd take creature comfort and a better overall layout, with
potential for a larger screen, over seat count.

It cost me $800 and a month of leisure time to redo my HVAC. I do consider that money well spent on a personal level but I do question if that is where I would
choose to spend the money, if there's some wiggle room space-wise. If I could rebuild one end of the room and add some floor space and room volume, then that
would be my first choice to explore.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there,
Just want to give you guys an update. My basement is completely gutted and my HT will be 10.4ft x 20.5ft x 7.7 ft (under the HVAC, the height is approx 85 inches or approx 7ft) .

The good news is that I will be able to have two rows of seating, the bad news is the placement of my 120" screen as I can't move my HVAC and the placement of my LCR Tower speakers.

We looked at all the possible options to move the HVAC and it will be way too much work and cost to move it.

Having said that, I figured I have a couple of options:
1) Use my existing 120" screen and place it underneath the HVAC. This will be give approx 25 inches underneath the screen to install my center speaker. Also, I will need my LR speakers a little forward so that they don't block the screen.
2) Purchase a 100" screen.
3) Purchase an acoustic screen and have setup my speakers behind the screen but another cost I don't want to incur.

I will have my Epson5040UB mounted at 16 feet from the screen. (the throw distance based on projector central is 15"11' )

Any advice?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5309.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	2622064  
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2019, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Not knowing all the details and with a gutted area, why not turn the room around and use the current non existing end wall for the screen.. or is it the long duct run that is in the way?

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Size is similar to mine, but I only have one row of seating. Two Channel listening is important to me, so no way I was stuffing my main Left & Right into the corners...

Media_Room_201908 by Barry, on Flickr

Check sig link for build thread

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #8 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That space is but 20.5' long? I also wonder about a 180 degree room flip like airscapes suggests.

Why not buy some acoustically transparent screen fabric, and install in your screen's frame? That's the best money you will might spend in the room as it will allow you to bring the
center channel up. And if there is additional room length, then you could hide the HVAC drop, by the AT screen wall.

My AT screen wall hides a lot of issues, in an even smaller, more challenged space. I gave up length, and did a 59" deep AT space, to visually clean up the front of the room (and let me host
2 big subs).

My next room won't even have a traditional screen set up. Plans are to simply lace in some AT fabric and use some velvet covered boards to hide the lacing and create the edges of the screen.
That is all based on the current masking system embedded in the minimal framing of the AT wall. I plan to eliminate the lower mask and simply have a sliding upper panel, to create a constant
width masking system. A bit of work but it'll be cheaper then any commercial screen.

That is a challenging space but I think a little bit of flexibility and some creative construction is something that could yield a nice looking room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AT space details.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	2625462  
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Ok so next thought is to go AT for screen to maximize screen size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page