Popcorn ceiling.....Leave it or scrape it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonybradley

post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Popcorn ceiling.....Leave it or scrape it?

Hi all. Moving into a new house and the theater room will be 15'x13' with 8' ceilings. It's carpeted and has popcorn ceilings. I have scraped and refinished them before, so I know all that is involved in the project. My question is....from a purely home theater / audio standpoint.... do I scrape them off or leave them? I will probably have some acoustical panels on the walls eventually and this will most likely just be a 7.1 setup. What does it do for sound quality and echoes? Also, does it let sound pass through the ceiling easier? My kids bedrooms will be above it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Hi all. Moving into a new house and the theater room will be 15'x13' with 8' ceilings. It's carpeted and has popcorn ceilings. I have scraped and refinished them before, so I know all that is involved in the project. My question is....from a purely home theater / audio standpoint.... do I scrape them off or leave them? I will probably have some acoustical panels on the walls eventually and this will most likely just be a 7.1 setup. What does it do for sound quality and echoes? Also, does it let sound pass through the ceiling easier? My kids bedrooms will be above it. Thanks!
I've never heard of popcorn ceiling vs flat having an effect on audio. If so, I doubt it's anything you could tell a difference. If you like the popcorn ceiling and don't want to scrape it (forget audio), just leave it. If you have acoustical panels on the walls, are you planning on treating the ceiling with panels at the first reflection points as well? I did not. I have a drop ceiling with drywall ceiling Tiles that are covered in a textured vinyl.
pkinneb likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 923
I've seen it once, painted black, in a home theater showroom in an older building. Looked rather nice I thought.

Is this a new house or a new house to you? If it is an older pre 1970 home, it might contain asbestos so you might not want to touch it.

I doubt it has any effect on audio. and it doesn't have much mass so I doubt it would help with sound isolation in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to bpape
The popcorn should have minimal effect on sound and if painted, pretty much no effect.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I think I'll leave it. I do like the idea of painting it black perhaps. Hmm.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 5601
I have my Atmos-enabled speakers in my living room with a popcorn ceiling and it sounds amazing! I know that wasn't specifically what you were asking about, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I have my Atmos-enabled speakers in my living room with a popcorn ceiling and it sounds amazing! I know that wasn't specifically what you were asking about, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Well that is exactly why I am asking, so that's good to know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page