Yet to be named basement build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By adamfritzsche
  • 4 Post By adamfritzsche

post #1 of 11 Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Yet to be named basement build

I have been working on my basement build for a little over a year now. I have a bad habit of doing projects, taking pictures of the process with the intent on sharing my progress throughout and then never do. So I plan to make several posts consecutively to get up to date with my project.

Firstly, this is a new construction home that we had built. Construction was completed in January of 2018. I knew that I was going to be finishing the basement, but the theater portion was just a pipe dream at the time, so there were some things that I wish I would have done differently, such as going with a 9 foot ceiling in the basement as I did with the main floor. This is probably my biggest regret and I am sure I will mention it many times.

With that said, I knew that I wanted the biggest basement possible for my budget, which meant I was looking for a ranch floorplan, but the builder did me better and had a nice "ranch" floorplan that they added a second story to. For what it cost to add these two extra bedrooms and a bathroom, it was almost a no-brainer.

So with that extra space, it left me with an decently sized untouched basement that was all mine for the taking.

I am greedy and decided that the basement must include an 8 foot poker table, 8 foot pool table, a full wet bar and a theater area.

After much back and forth on a dedicated theater or not, I decided that an open layout including the theater was going to work better for our family.

Several layout revisions and many rolls of painter's tape later, I was able to work out a good layout that gave each of these areas a decent enough room that none should feel too tight or an afterthought. I also ended up with enough room for a bathroom (which I will honestly probably never get to building) and two ~200 square foot storage/utility areas.

So without further ado, here is some of the beginning work, started with framing out the outer walls.

As you can see from this image, I decided I was going to spray the ceiling black and keep it undrywalled. I like the look, but I have later decided that this will be a mistake for the theater area with the master bedroom directly above it.

Screen wall. You can also see my next mistake. Since at the time, I was not concerned about any sound proofing, I decided my screen / false wall would be the only wall here. Probably not the best idea, but this one, I am committed to now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_165115.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2634606   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_200536.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2634608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_121232.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	2634610  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Some various shots of the bar.

The building inspector. You would think being in the family she would cut some slack, but she is by the book.

[]https://i.imgur.com/I4Q2uge.jpg[/IMG]

https://i.imgur.com/qZPDejT.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_121221.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	749.2 KB
ID:	2634918   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_145408.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	680.2 KB
ID:	2634920   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_202520.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	2634922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_165214.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	856.3 KB
ID:	2634924  
brazensol likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Some drywall progress

Wider shot of most of the basement

Paint on the walls and majority of the flooring done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Looking good I'm about to start mine next year and still am going between painted black ceiling or to drywall it out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
Looking good I'm about to start mine next year and still am going between painted black ceiling or to drywall it out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
For the most part, I am pretty happy with the look. I was surprised how the lack of detail tricks your mind into just forgetting the ceiling is even there. I have had several people down showing my progress and it took me pointing out what I did to the ceiling.

That being said, for the theater area, I decided for me there was going to be a strong possibility that I would regret not dry walling. Sound from movies was tolerable through to the main floor, but when I have the stereo cranked playing music it was a completely different story. My wife has not complained about it yet, but I am afraid that it will only be a matter of time, lol.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-01-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

So on the subject of sound, with this layout where it is open and the only area that will have a drywall ceiling, is there still any point to DD?
post #7 of 11 Old 11-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Looks awesome! Keep the pics coming!

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #8 of 11 Old 11-01-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfritzsche View Post
So on the subject of sound, with this layout where it is open and the only area that will have a drywall ceiling, is there still any point to DD?
What's above that area? Are you concerned with foot noise from above or noise from the A/V escaping above? Is so, then I would recommend that DD with drywall between the joists. That will dampen the noise. Obviously, without going all-in on sound proofing, it won't be perfect.

I have a drop ceiling, but stuffed the joists with R13 pink fluffy. The noise from above and escape from below was substantially lessened. As such, it depends on personal preference, use, etc.

Your space is looking great so far!

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #9 of 11 Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like your front bar is just a 2x4 or 2x6 half wall. I am planning on doing the same thing with a 2x8 wall for my bar with only the outside covered(6 pack of bottles and 12 pack of cans fits perfect on a 2x8 shelf). Can you comment on a few things? What did you use for anchors into the slab? Is the "free end" sturdy? Did you do anything special to mitigate movement on the front/free end? I assume once the top is on that locks everything in pretty well. Just trying to gather ideas to make my bar as solid as possible without having a much wider frame behind the front wall.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
What's above that area? Are you concerned with foot noise from above or noise from the A/V escaping above? Is so, then I would recommend that DD with drywall between the joists. That will dampen the noise. Obviously, without going all-in on sound proofing, it won't be perfect.

I have a drop ceiling, but stuffed the joists with R13 pink fluffy. The noise from above and escape from below was substantially lessened. As such, it depends on personal preference, use, etc.

Your space is looking great so far!

The room directly above the theater is the master bedroom, so I do want to suppress the A/V escaping to directly above. During "normal" operating times, the sound currently is not too bad, but if I were to have the same volume levels in the middle of the night, it would be a different story. I am not expecting to achieve any sort of miracles. I will probably just end up doing the DD. I will also stuff it with insulation since I have enough to last a life time... one of the advantages to living in a under construction neighborhood. I collect a lot of new "scrap" material out of the construction dumpsters. I think my attic space above the garage is probably at about R-60 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Looks like your front bar is just a 2x4 or 2x6 half wall. I am planning on doing the same thing with a 2x8 wall for my bar with only the outside covered(6 pack of bottles and 12 pack of cans fits perfect on a 2x8 shelf). Can you comment on a few things? What did you use for anchors into the slab? Is the "free end" sturdy? Did you do anything special to mitigate movement on the front/free end? I assume once the top is on that locks everything in pretty well. Just trying to gather ideas to make my bar as solid as possible without having a much wider frame behind the front wall.

Yes the L shape of the bar top is a 2x6 half wall. So, I did end up with issues with the free end not being seeming to be sturdy, but through trial and error I did end up with a sturdy structure. For building the wall, I found that screws for this wall were better than the framing nailer. For securing it, forget about using a Ramset. Tapcon screws worked great here. I would bet that using 2x8 would help. Even after this, it was much better, but it was still a little bit more wobbly that I would have liked, but what really sealed the deal was I took 3/4" plywood on the top for the base material I cut a full sheet to have as much of the "L" shape from one piece of material as opposed to cutting two straight pieces that join to make the "L". Once this was screwed down, it really locked everything together, and that free end is really stable now and I can lean on it pretty significantly with no movement.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-09-2019, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfritzsche View Post
Yes the L shape of the bar top is a 2x6 half wall. So, I did end up with issues with the free end not being seeming to be sturdy, but through trial and error I did end up with a sturdy structure. For building the wall, I found that screws for this wall were better than the framing nailer. For securing it, forget about using a Ramset. Tapcon screws worked great here. I would bet that using 2x8 would help. Even after this, it was much better, but it was still a little bit more wobbly that I would have liked, but what really sealed the deal was I took 3/4" plywood on the top for the base material I cut a full sheet to have as much of the "L" shape from one piece of material as opposed to cutting two straight pieces that join to make the "L". Once this was screwed down, it really locked everything together, and that free end is really stable now and I can lean on it pretty significantly with no movement.
Good to hear! What you describe is similar to my plan. 2x8 construction held together with 3 inch SPAX screws. I put blocking in the wall, so I can screw it to the wall in multiple locations. I am going to skin the outside with 5/8 or 3/4 ACX plywood glued and screwed for shear strength. For anchoring, I think I am going with 2 tapcon screws at each vertical support (2x8 allows for enough spacing), and possibly add a few beads of construction adhesive under the sill plate as well. I used tapcons screws everywhere else in my basement, so I have some left over. I will by topping it off with 1 1/2" butcherblock counter top. Sounds like that should turn out pretty solid based on your feed back. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page