New home, new home theater build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AAhrens

post #1 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New home, new home theater build

Hi All,

We recently purchased a new home and I am planning my build. Some of the things I need to work around are the following I would appreciate advise with:
  • How close to the fireplace can I go? I don't want to be looking up at the TV.
  • Will the fireplace be a big distraction and create glare?
  • Can I mount the center channel between fireplace and TV?
  • Should I mount the front right/left in the ceiling?
  • What kind of ceiling mounts should I use?

I plan on using some KEF 5.1 satellite speakers for this build, same I'm taking from the other house. I don't need anything louder than this I feel as it's already great in the old house. I do plan on tearing into the ceiling to pull wires and make mounts, then I'll re-popcorn the whole thing afterwards. I need to get into the ceiling anyways to pull a gas line for the BBQ.

Plan is to to have the rear left/right in the ceiling as well. Should these be behind the couch or just to the left and right and rearward a bit for a 5.1 build?

Below photo is of previous owners setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace tv.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2637674  

Last edited by AAhrens; 11-07-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Good luck!

I have a couple of comments/opinions, take them however you like, but ultimately it is your preference.

1. The distance between the fireplace and TV/Center channel is dictated by local and federal codes. For instance, the National Fire Code dictates that any combustible material must be at least six inches from the firebox opening. An additional inch of clearance is needed for every 1/8 inch the combustible material or trim protrudes.

2. I wouldn't worry about glare from fireplace as much as the glare from the windows that flank it. You should do a search on room darkening blinds options.

3. Is this house built on a slab? If not, I usually would go through the basement or crawl space to pull wires for in-wall or wall mounted speakers. If it is a slab, I understand why you want to go through ceiling.

4. Be careful with the popcorn ceiling. Depending on the year the house was built, it may have asbestos in it (build before 1978). If that is not an issue, why would you want to put that back up? Most people are not fans of popcorn ceiling. So, if you're already doing repairs, I'd just remove and go with flat ceiling or knockdown. I don't like messing with ceilings as they are very hard to get to look smooth. I'd recommend that you have a drywall person/company come in to estimate before your work to remove popcorn and patch/smooth out any areas where you damaged in install.

5. Speaker mounts-typically most audioholics recommend your front and rear speakers to be at ear level while seated. If that is not an option, you have to make due as best you can. In a 5.1 setup, your surround rear speakers should be behind the couch or seating area.

You can get more info on the individual pages here on speaker placement, etc. Do a search. Good luck on your new home!

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #3 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks on the fireplace tip, that gives me a good starting point. This room is actually the basement, so I can't go underneath unless I pull wires under carpet when we finally put carpet in. I suppose that is one option to save putting more holes in the ceiling. I would need to purchase speaker stands in this case, and still have 'unsightly' wires for the front speakers if they were on stands.

I have to do the popcorn anyways as there is a giant hole in my ceiling from water damage. The rest of the basement is separated by beams and is also popcorn, so rather than doing it all and doing knockdown I figured easy solution is just redo popcorn in this area. The house is 2001 though so no fear of asbestos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

So I'm still planning this build, and took some more photo's. I'm wondering if the best way to go with the rear speakers is just stands. And maybe even the front speakers as well?

The windows really interfere with nice wall mounts. I could do the ceiling still, but feel like I need something hanging down a few feet. Thoughts?

Don't mind the mess, we are still getting settle in the place :-)

The other issue is the TV is still too high where it strains my neck. I fear I may be redoing some of the brick on that corner wall, removing it and rearranging it, so I can lower the TV mount to where I'm 6" above the fireplace, then making a separate mount for the center speaker just above the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191204_055759.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	2649182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191204_061100.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	2649184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191204_055743.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	2649186  
pkinneb likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

To wrap this up what I've decided to do is buy a mantel mount to lower the TV instead of messing with the brick. I'm going to make a custom bracket hanging off of this to attach the front and center channels from. I'm using stands for the rear speakers.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAhrens View Post
Hi All,

To wrap this up what I've decided to do is buy a mantel mount to lower the TV instead of messing with the brick. I'm going to make a custom bracket hanging off of this to attach the front and center channels from. I'm using stands for the rear speakers.
You won’t regret the Mantle Mount option, my set is much higher and closer than yours and we lower it a lot. Even the kids can lower and raise it once I adjusted the hydraulics. Money well spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page