AV Guy Recommendations - Legit? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By NickTheGreat
  • 2 Post By Demilio
  • 1 Post By frankwp

post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AV Guy Recommendations - Legit?

Hey folks, I am buying my first home and wanted to have some work done to my TV room prior to move in. I brought an AV guy who was recommended over to take a look and give me his thoughts.

His first recommendation to me is to get "a sound bar" for under the TV that I will mount to my wall. I then tell him that I am looking for some place to put rear speakers for 5.1 and he tries to talk me out of it (they will almost certainly have to be in-ceiling due to the layout of the room). After pressing him that I don't mind having the drywall repaired after we run wires to the AV equipment, and that I want good surround sound, he recommended Sonos for the rear surrounds.

I have had the same 5.1 setup in my apartments for many years - I now have a Demon ABR-S710W and Aperion speakers that seem fine. I got a little freaked about this AV guy who recommends sound bars and Sonos, which seem like things a guy in Best Buy would recommend, not something an AV professional would recommend.

Am I crazy? Should I give a sound bar and Sonos a shot? Maybe they have improved a lot over the years or something. Should I find a better AV guy?

Curious for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 399
He sounds lazy to me. I have a Sonos soundbar with Sonos rears in my living room. But that's because I was too lazy to want to run wires for the rears; it would have been a lot of drywall repair. They're fine, but certainly not cheap.

I agree that in ceiling speakers probably aren't ideal. Is this an open room? As in no place for rear speakers to set? Is this a living room or a dedicated theater.

My Sonos setup is just for my living room, not my theater. I don't think you'd be happy without proper LCR speakers in a theater setup.
CaliJ likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Sounds like a guy I'd move on from but since you're posting here I think you already know this.
pkinneb and CaliJ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

The issue with the new room is it's a living room with an open kitchen behind it. There isn't really a wall to put speakers in behind the sitting position, so I think the speakers will have to go in the ceiling. There is a large door frame (no door) that separates the kitchen from the living room, but I don't think there is room in the wall for speakers - I'm pretty sure there is a lot of wood framing behind the dry wall to support the door frame, but I don't know a ton about home construction so I could be wrong.

It seems the bottom line is I need to find a good AV guy to help me maximize my movie-watching experience in this room, because I'll likely be here for a long time. Anyone have any advice for how to find a knowledgeable person?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-13-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
There are always work arounds and depending on your situation exactly in ceiling rears may be your best option even though they are not and ideal solution. Perfect speaker layouts require perfect rooms and not everyone can build a dedicated theater. i would check the Dolby website and see their layout ideas. i think they show about 36 different options and one may just work in your particular situation.

if you must go with in ceiling rears/surrounds, then i would be checking out speakers with angled drivers.

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_760CSUR/PSB-C-SUR.html

There are others out there but those are the ones I'm familiar with.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Most people will be happy with a sound bar alone, and Most people also don't want to deal with surround placement, especially wired.
Sounds like your install guy is for Most people, not HT people, so keep looking

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
i would check the Dolby website and see their layout ideas. i think they show about 36 different options and one may just work in your particular situation.
Thanks so much for the post. Definitely helpful. I'm having trouble finding anything from Dolby with layout ideas. All I can find is the basic layouts for 5.1, 7.1 Atmos etc with ideal angles between speakers and ideal height. Nothing that shows ideas for rooms that are not perfect theaters. Do you.happen to have a link?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliJ View Post
Thanks so much for the post. Definitely helpful. I'm having trouble finding anything from Dolby with layout ideas. All I can find is the basic layouts for 5.1, 7.1 Atmos etc with ideal angles between speakers and ideal height. Nothing that shows ideas for rooms that are not perfect theaters. Do you.happen to have a link?
Here are a couple of suggestions. Once you have an idea of what can work in your situation, I would install them as close to spec as possible. As long as its close you should be fine.

This one is interesting because it doesn't use surround speakers

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

Here are a few layouts to check out:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html

You can also use the traditional 5.1 layout with the surrounds in the ceiling. It may not be ideal, but many people use this setup out of necessity. And long as you get as close to spec as is reasonable in your space you should be happy with your results.

The one thing I do try to avoid the upward reflecting speakers as their effectiveness is somewhat limited

Last edited by Rgarc; 11-18-2019 at 04:01 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Those are some strange recommendations. Maybe he saw that if the room is obviously not ideal for a home theater, then why bother with anything good. Which is kinda like saying if it can't be perfect, then let's make it lousy. I would definitely be moving on to another installer.

I have just a soundbar with a little sub in the living room, but that's just for casual TV watching. If I didn't have a TV room downstairs with the good stuff in it, I would be putting much better equipment in the living room.
pkinneb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page